Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Missing a / here.

Fixed, thanks!

Alxprit posted:

Ah, dang, what a time to come back just as a break is announced. I love FFTA2, I tried it out on a whim and ended up spending nearly 100 hours on it. I was dumb and didn't do a lot of the things that you're talking about in this playthrough (really could have used Bonus AP) but learning is really interesting and people always have their own brand of special strategy for these kinds of things. I didn't figure out the really broken stuff until very late, but stuff like Maduin-healing and how versatile Elementalists were didn't fly by me.

Also since I didn't abuse the Auction House NEARLY as much, I lived and swore by Steal Accessory to get all my Ninja Tabi and stuff like that. It was pretty effective once I started using Stop.

Now you have plenty of time to catch up! :D

There's a lot of things you can do in FFTA2 to "optimize" your playthrough, like abusing the Auction House, Summoners healing themselves, and so on. But they aren't *necessary* and you can definitely beat the game without doing any of that. I would love to see other people's approaches to the game, since I feel my strategies and units are pretty basic.

Steal: Accessory is probably the best way to get Ninja Tabi. It's a bit tedious to get like 6 pairs from the Graszton auction grand prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Solumin posted:

Fixed, thanks!

Now you have plenty of time to catch up! :D

There's a lot of things you can do in FFTA2 to "optimize" your playthrough, like abusing the Auction House, Summoners healing themselves, and so on. But they aren't *necessary* and you can definitely beat the game without doing any of that. I would love to see other people's approaches to the game, since I feel my strategies and units are pretty basic.

Steal: Accessory is probably the best way to get Ninja Tabi. It's a bit tedious to get like 6 pairs from the Graszton auction grand prize.

I think I mentioned, but mine were even more basic.

VIERA SQUAD feat. doublecasting blood price summoners, and a whole mess of assassins - I think I had an assassin/sniper, assassin/elementalist, and assassin/green mage for tranq and leap. It was essentially a single race challenge after I got to the point where I could unlock Viera, and I kinda feel bad about that, like I wasn't fair to the game.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leraika posted:

It was essentially a single race challenge after I got to the point where I could unlock Viera, and I kinda feel bad about that, like I wasn't fair to the game.

My squad is basically a single ability challenge, and the ability is "long range Ultima."

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

There's some special that can happen with Ewen, and I want to show that off.

Beyond the typo, is there? I kind of just murdered the guy and never looked back. That's surprising.

Also I just can't imagine why people would dislike Luso when he gets such great lines like he does in this update. I'm not saying he's the best protagonist or anything, but he's upbeat in a good way that doesn't come across as just a stupid shonen protagonist, and his adventure-seeking and optimism are endearing. He's not as good as Heresy Ramza, nor in as good of a game, but he's a gigantic step forward from poo poo-writing-induced Villain Protagonist Marche Raduju.

Leraika posted:

Here's where I think the plotting (such as it is) really starts stumbling - a huge threat is discovered in Illua but it's almost immediately established that she can't do poo poo to our hero and the best thing to do isn't to deal with her but to continue loving around. I get that they want to keep the mission format, but even FFTA handled plotting better than this.

Not really. It's established she can't do anything to the Grimoire, Luso is not nearly as safe. In fact, she's one of the very few threats he can have, seeing how Khamja can stop the Judge, thus negating the death immunity the Clan has. She can also kick your rear end because her class may be ever so slightly broken as poo poo, you can easily see why you'll never get one of them in your side.

Also I'd say this still handles plot better than FFTA because I don't want the protagonist to get killed in a Jagd. I can enjoy plots, even thin plots like these, far more than those where I'm meant to relate and agree with a sociopath that's doing the same poo poo I tried to stop in several previous Final Fantasy games, but with far more success because he's the protagonist.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not really. It's established she can't do anything to the Grimoire, Luso is not nearly as safe. In fact, she's one of the very few threats he can have, seeing how Khamja can stop the Judge, thus negating the death immunity the Clan has. She can also kick your rear end because her class may be ever so slightly broken as poo poo, you can easily see why you'll never get one of them in your side.

Yeah, but her appearance doesn't actually do anything for the plot - you fight her once and then the game goes ':shrug: do what you were doing I guess'.

I'm not going to get into a Marche debate in someone else's thread, but I will say that regardless of what you think or don't think about him, FFTA had clear goals (the crystals, dealing with Mewt, dealing with everyone who wants to stop him), whereas FFTA2 is literally built on 'hey do what you want, it's all about living your life'. Nice philosophy, not great for building tension in a game.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Beyond the typo, is there? I kind of just murdered the guy and never looked back. That's surprising.

Also I just can't imagine why people would dislike Luso when he gets such great lines like he does in this update. I'm not saying he's the best protagonist or anything, but he's upbeat in a good way that doesn't come across as just a stupid shonen protagonist, and his adventure-seeking and optimism are endearing. He's not as good as Heresy Ramza, nor in as good of a game, but he's a gigantic step forward from poo poo-writing-induced Villain Protagonist Marche Raduju.
Fixed! He shows up in some side quests. If you kill him here, you see a generic unit instead.

Agreed about Luso. As poo poo as this game's plot can be, the dialogue really shines. I think "Either we win here, or I'm cured" is a great punchline.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Leraika posted:

I'm not going to get into a Marche debate in someone else's thread, but I will say that regardless of what you think or don't think about him, FFTA had clear goals (the crystals, dealing with Mewt, dealing with everyone who wants to stop him), whereas FFTA2 is literally built on 'hey do what you want, it's all about living your life'. Nice philosophy, not great for building tension in a game.

I honestly feel like Luso, and by extension FFTA2's plot, could be a result of the Marche debate - rather, that there was a debate in the first place. Say what you will about FFTA's plot, it's very much a product of Matsuno's writing style, albeit lighter and softer than his usual. Nobody is morally perfect, and technically the victors are the ones justified in the conflict, because they are the victors and they can say that they were right. It's basically Tactics Ogre by way of Neverending Story.

But that caused a lot of debate and dispute, especially on Western shores (as far as I've seen, Japanese audiences aren't nearly as split on Marche's morality, they treat him much more as a positive role, a proper protagonist). Mix that with the fact that around this same time, Yasumi Matsuno was having his "experience" with FF12 and leaving the company, and suddenly your sequel has a different writer and a whole bunch of people who may or may not be wanting to do away with the moral ambiguity.

So they make Luso, who ends up in that exact same isekai scenario, caught loving with a book and ending up in Ivalice despite being a Normal Kid. But this time, there's no magical soul-sucking, wish-fulfillment book spirit. There's no escapism. It's just a kid trapped in another world. How does he get home? Eh, he just will.

I'm not going to argue that it's not lazy, it totally is. But I would not at all be surprised to hear it was overcompensating after the backlash FFTA got.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KataraniSword posted:

I honestly feel like Luso, and by extension FFTA2's plot, could be a result of the Marche debate - rather, that there was a debate in the first place.
That's generally the feel I got from it too. I for one am firmly in the camp that FFTA2's writing is better simply because there's no ambiguity to what's going on and the story meshes with the gameplay more. I wouldn't call it lazy though. I'd say it's just honest.
'Oh man this crazy cat wants to take over the world with the power of interdimensional evil googlies!?'
'Yeah. Good thing you're her natural nemesis. Also here's your book back.'
'Wait I thought she cut this thing in half.'
'Bitch please, this thing is a Capital-G Grimoire. She can't do poo poo to it.'
'Oh. Well then. Do I just go...?'
'Nah man. To take over the world she's gotta deal with you. Only we have just established that she can't deal with you. So y'know. Do whatever. She'll keep.'
'Sweet! I am going to go help some moogles play status effect roulette.'
'... You poor soul.'

The only real source of tension in FFTA was 'gawd dangit the gubment's strengthenin' the laws meanin' I gaht more bull pickney to deal with.' Everything else was kind of ruined by the disconnect between plot and gameplay (and Marche's weakarse dialogue.)
Plus this game still manages to eek out a bit of tension here and there with it's cutscenes, such as when Cid got capped or 'suddenly we're in this crazy place and ol' man lezaford says it's dangerous but how bad can it- is that a giant doomhand demon? that is a giant doomhand demon. yikes.'

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

That's generally the feel I got from it too. I for one am firmly in the camp that FFTA2's writing is better simply because there's no ambiguity to what's going on and the story meshes with the gameplay more. I wouldn't call it lazy though. I'd say it's just honest.
'Oh man this crazy cat wants to take over the world with the power of interdimensional evil googlies!?'
'Yeah. Good thing you're her natural nemesis. Also here's your book back.'
'Wait I thought she cut this thing in half.'
'Bitch please, this thing is a Capital-G Grimoire. She can't do poo poo to it.'
'Oh. Well then. Do I just go...?'
'Nah man. To take over the world she's gotta deal with you. Only we have just established that she can't deal with you. So y'know. Do whatever. She'll keep.'
'Sweet! I am going to go help some moogles play status effect roulette.'
'... You poor soul.'

The only real source of tension in FFTA was 'gawd dangit the gubment's strengthenin' the laws meanin' I gaht more bull pickney to deal with.' Everything else was kind of ruined by the disconnect between plot and gameplay (and Marche's weakarse dialogue.)
Plus this game still manages to eek out a bit of tension here and there with it's cutscenes, such as when Cid got capped or 'suddenly we're in this crazy place and ol' man lezaford says it's dangerous but how bad can it- is that a giant doomhand demon? that is a giant doomhand demon. yikes.'

This is one of the best posts I've ever read.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah, to be absolutely clear: FFTA had the better plot because it actually had a plot, but A2's writing is leaps and bounds above it, and I would much rather replay the latter than the former.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think the thing that most hurts A2's "story" is the decision to cram every single event in the game into the notice-posted-at-the-tavern format. You discover some problem or mystery that they try to play up as urgent and dangerous... and then you have to wait for some background NPC to post a request for you to investigate it, which you can leave on the board for years while you grind auction houses. :effort:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A2's plot is weak but its solid writing and fun characters more than make up for it.

Plot is the least important part of any story anyway.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah but at the least it has to be servicable. A randomly strung around sequence of events is going to bring down even the best writing.

Also im one of the weirdos who liked the ambiguity of FFTA. Marche did nothing wrong

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
What I actually enjoyed about FFTA2's story, at least over FFTA1's, was the fact that Luso is what Mewt should have become by the end. The biggest failing of FFTA's story was that Marche never gave Mewt the ability to decide until the very end, when the world was already hosed and Mewt really couldn't come to terms on his own that he wanted to go back to the real world.

Juxtaposing that is Luso, the kid has gone to another world. This world is one that Luso loves, but he instantly realizes that no matter how bad he had it back in the real world, it still had people who cared about him and he wanted to go back. Luso is the Mewt that we should have had in FFTA. I guess the problem is that since the person who possesses the grimoire (Mewt and Luso) is so powerful, you either have the "antagonist" in the story, so that the underdog can win, or there isn't any real tension, such as in Luso's case, and that's the part that FFTA2's story does wrong. In FFTA2's case there shouldn't really *be* an antagonist, because at that point no one should be stronger than Luso, and it would just be more fun if it were similar to Grand Theft Auto, where you just do things and have fun and maybe help Cid shut down a crime ring or whatever.

I guess what I was trying to get at is that FFTA is better for people who want a clear, concise beginning and end, like a traditional JRPG, and FFTA2 is more for people who enjoy sandbox adventure games. Both of their biggest failings, however, is that neither of them work their strengths *quite right* (Mewt should have become a character similar to Luso by the end, and the plot should have pushed Luso more/not been so "dire" by the end), and that's why it's difficult to find a real winner between their stories, at least to me.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So are you saying that, somewhere in the world, there's another kid from the school who just wants to kill Samuel so he can go home?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

So are you saying that, somewhere in the world, there's another kid from the school who just wants to kill Samuel so he can go home?

Illua is just a high-schooler stuck in her edgelord phase. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Illua is just a high-schooler stuck in her edgelord phase. :v:

Can't believe this game is just ripping off Sharkboy and lavagirl.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Hello friends. Thank you for the awesome posts on this page. I was planning to sit down and respond to them before the next update.

Unfortunately, the next update is going to be delayed even further. I was hoping to do it this weekend, but due to the winter storm in the east coast of the US, my travel plans have been pushed back several days.

The LP is not dead, and I'll get to work as soon as I can. Thank you all very much for reading!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Solumin posted:

Hello friends. Thank you for the awesome posts on this page. I was planning to sit down and respond to them before the next update.

Unfortunately, the next update is going to be delayed even further. I was hoping to do it this weekend, but due to the winter storm in the east coast of the US, my travel plans have been pushed back several days.

The LP is not dead, and I'll get to work as soon as I can. Thank you all very much for reading!

Not even a Geomancer would be able to halt that kind of thing. Stay safe!

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Take your time, we all know that the snow has been really crazy this year, so we're happy you're just safe. Enjoy the "extended" vacation?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 17: Mrs. Blue Sky

In This Update:
- Hurdy has an adventure for us.
- But instead we unlock Lanista and Geomancer.
- Clan Sawyer's Statuary Garden.

---

Last time, we held the line against the demon Neukhia. Lezaford informed us of the true nature of Samuel's journal --the eponymous the Grimoire of the Rift -- and Illua's master plan to take over the world.

Where does that leave us? To quote EponymousMrYar from the thread:

: To take over the world she's gotta deal with you. Only we have just established that she can't deal with you. So y'know. Do whatever. She'll keep.

So let's head off to Camoa and see just what the game has in store!

What it has is Hurdy. Great.

: Kupo...kupo!

: Samuel! Erm, nothing, I... Kupo-po... Actually, there was this quest I found a bit intriguing, kupo.

: What kind of quest?

: A salvage run in the town of Goug!

: A salvage run?

: I should explain, kupo. This sort of salvaging's got nothing to do with ships. They're looking for old machineries in the depths of the Goug undertown. Really old!

: Goug's a moogle town. Mooglecraft's quite popular there, kupo! Moogle machinists as far as the eye can see! Lots of quirky old machineries, too.

: And the weirdest ones, they've been dumped beneath the town for centuries! Some of them use technology long since lost, kupo! That's why, every so often, they do a survey, kupo. See what they can dig up.

: Huh, sounds like fun!

: Of course, I'd be going to look for instruments, kupo. Something I could use in a song for you, Samuel! Just think, maybe I'll find an old instrument no one's ever seen before!

: Well, what are we waiting for? I'm sure a moogle town's got lots to see you can't find anywhere else. That's not something I'm likely to pass up! I'll go run it by Cid. If there's nothing else that needs doing, let's go salvaging!

: Kupo!

Samuel runs off to find Cid.

---

There's no cutscene with Cid, we're just dumped back to the main map.

The next story mission is The Dig. At rank 37, it's only a few points higher than the quest we just finished.

However, our clan is starting to fall a little bit behind. Lian and Leed are only level 23, and our highest is level 27. Our clan can dish out plenty of damage -- Tsing and Lenolia are still horrendously overpowered -- but enemies can take us out with a few focused attacks. Of course, permadeath isn't an issue like it would be in Final Fantasy Tactics, but being underleveled turns the battles into a bit of a slog. Also, if we encounter bosses like Lord of the Flowsand, we'll be utterly squashed.

That said, later in this update we'll see why being under-leveled isn't really a problem.

Because of all that, we're going to take Lezaford's advice and go adventuring! We have a huge backlog of side quests to go through, and we're going to tackle a few of them before the next story quest.

Here's a screen I haven't really shown off yet: the Clan Info menu.

Clan Territory shows us which auction houses we've won. It's a very satisfying map.

The Clan Primer lists all the notices and rumors we've read. The Notices list includes the information we've picked up from Lezaford, for example.

Clan Loot is self explanatory.

Clan Privileges and Laws are also self explanatory. I think the Laws menu lists all of the ones you've encountered, not every law in the game.

Of particular interest is the Quest Report. This grid shows every quest in the game.

The circles are one-time quests, which turn golden once they've been completed. Squares represent repeatable quests; light green ones haven't been completed yet, and a gold border means the quest is currently available for another go. The lines between cells indicate one quest is the prerequisite for the other.

Running down the major diagonal is the story quest line. There's only 4 of them left!

---

Today's update will focus on unlocking a couple more jobs. There's only three left to unlock: Geomancer and Ravager for gria, and Lanista for seeq.

I guess this mission unlocked a while ago and I missed it? We're right at the perfect level for it so it should be a walk in the park.

Let's hop to it then.

A pretty easy law, thankfully.

I'm taking these four. Lian (Master Monk) and Leed (Seer) are our lowest-level units, and Jalia (Assassin) and Imino (Fusilier) could use some XP themselves.

Our two enemies are the Head Editor and the Owner of the Bonga Bugle. We haven't seen these two characters yet; they're involved in a rather fun side quest series that will have its own dedicated updates. They usually aren't the bad guys, I promise!

The premise: The Bonga Bugle posted some libellous material about the Lanista's family. We're here to help convince the newspaper to retract those statements.

The editor and the owner are narcissistic, self-aggrandizing idiots who happened to hire some bodyguards.

The Assassin, Ninja and Parivir are the real threats here. The editor is level 10, and the owner is level 1.

The three bodyguards are around level 30 and are significantly faster than us.

We have some tricks up our sleeve though!

Lian is our lowest-level character but he is not at all weak.

Here's why I'm a little scared of the enemy Parivir! He takes care of the owner for us, but we'll have to deal with him sooner or later.

Lanista is an interesting job that offers sustainability via buffs and stealing HP. Sword of Darkness deals dark damage and heals equal to the damage done.

Skipping forward a few turns. Imino and the Assassin have been plinking away at each other. The editor is weakened and invisible, so we have to wait for him to attack. The Parivir is a threat again.

A rather large threat, at that.

That's the editor down. Imino re-charms the Parivir.

The battle continues apace, we reapply Charm, the Parivir does our dirty work for us.

Lian resolves the Parivir issue quite handily.

And that's that!

---

Our next job quest unlocks Geomancer. There's actually 4 quests to complete, because they just had to show off all the weather conditions. Way of the Sun is the first one.

All of the Geomancer's Way quests give really high-tier loot, like these Cockatrice Skins.

Appropriately, it takes place in the desert.

So I completely forgot to unequip my R-Abilities! It somehow ends up not being an issue.

Similar crew as last time. Lenolia's fairly high level, but she really needs the Speed growths from Green Mage. Cid's also along for that Master Monk XP.

Each trial has the same layout: three Geomancers and a couple monsters.

This quest is 10 rank higher than Lanista's Pride, so we should have a bit more difficulty.

Fortunately, I have an eight-step plan!

Step 1: Charm the wolf.

Step 2: Dodge an 80% accurate Fire Breath...

...then put the dragon to doomed sleep.

Step 3: Weaken the Geomancers and heal Lenolia with Holy.

Step 4: Throw the book at 'em.

Geomancers have two kinds of attacks.
The first depends on the current weather. When the sun is shining, they can use Shining Flare, which deals fire damage in a small area. There are spells for rain, snow and Mist.

The second depends on the tile the Geomancer is standing in. Nature's Embrace can be used when the Geomancer is standing on a "natural" tile, such as sand. The other terrain types are plant, artificial (like metal plates) and dirt.

Step 5: Tranq.

Step 6: More Nightmares.

The wolf is no longer charmed, and we lose Leed.

Step 7: Remember that I really need to take the Ninja Tabi away from Cid, and also kill the wolf.

The dragon dies.

Lenolia uses Phoenix to bring back Leed. I always forget that half the Summoner's abilities are support spells.

Step 8: Stone the last Geomancer.

Once the sleeping Geomancer dies, the trial is finished!

---

Next: Trial of Envenomed Rain.

Good loot! Rainbow Threads are rather rare.

Again, three Geomancers and two monsters. (There's a golem off to the left.)

This law is misleading. You can walk through water tiles, but you'll be punished if you end your turn there. Or perhaps start your turn there? I didn't bother finding out.

Same core as before. Hurdy and Henri are joining us for extra buffs and damage.

This quest is a master class in why being underleveled isn't hurting us too badly.

You see, conditions don't care about your level.

Neither do buffs. That's Tranq from Lenolia and Haste from Hurdy.

Also that Nagaraja has its own Nightmare ability. Be very careful.

We picked up the Outsider, which teaches Stopshot. Stopshot inflicts Stop. Stop prevents the target from having any turns and makes all attacks against it 100% accurate.

Like Stone, Stopped units don't appear in the turn order. Unlike Stone, Stop doesn't count as a KO and it will wear off eventually.

Even Hurdy gets in on the Stop action!

When the Grim Reaper appears, it says something that sounds a lot like, "I think that I'll be... taking this!"
It's creepy and I'm hearing it a lot.

Bob Dylan would be proud.

I took pity on this one and just punched her.

And that's that!

This is what I meant when I said that level does not really matter.
I barely did any damage the entire battle. A combination of Stop, Break, Haste Charm and Tranq was all we needed to utterly humiliate the enemy. These spells are cheap, and Stopshot is free! Of course, we would be done for if the enemy resisted these, as most bosses do.

We also saw two Geomancer spells during the battle:

Deals water damage and has a chance to poison. It's not a bad spell.

Life's Embrace is the plant-tile spell.

---

Geomancer's Way - Snow is more of the same.

Hey, remember that quest we did for Hurdy? Here's the wood again. We already own everything it will unlock in the Bazaar.

All of our important spells cost 12 MP or less. Except for the Summons, but those cost HP instead thanks to Blood Price.

These guys again. Tsing is a Lanista now. I want him to have options besides Mirror Item and traps.

Attacks that trigger multiple conditions roll for each one individually. Lian is doomed, but still awake.

Nothing of interest really happens -- we don't even get to see Avalanche, the Geomancer's snow spell.

That's a stone dragon and a stone Geomancer there.

Clan Sawyer's statue collection is going to make the White Witch of Narnia jealous.

---

Last one: the Trial of Seething Mist.

Mahbeny is one of the rarest woods in the game. It's used to unlock things like the Nirvana staff, which we won in an auction about ten updates ago.

We've seen Mist only a handful of times. It doesn't come up much.

Another easy-ish law, as long as we don't get hit too hard.

You know the drill by now. Talf is joining us as a Black Mage this time.

Mist Storm is the Geomancer's Mist spell, obviously. It steals MP from the affected units. You'll basically never get to use it.

One down.

Two.

Three.

Toad should be familiar to anyone who has played Final Fantasy games before. In FFTA2, the unit's attack is reduced to 1 and they can't cast any spells.

She's stuck like that until we kill her.

And four. I cut out the middle of the battle, where we actually attacked with regular abilities! Because all of our fun statuses kept missing so I had to try another strategy.

Then we squash the toad and bring the whole thing to a close.

Of all the jobs to unlock, Geomancer is one of the most annoying. Is it worth it? Maybe -- the job has some solid spells, but it's not an S-tier one like Summoner. I'll give it bonus points for being interesting, at least.

Zoe mastered Ultima Shot, so I'm switching her to Geomancer.

---

The last job to unlock is Ravager, the fourth gria job. We are really not ready for that quest.

Remember Lord of the Flowsand? The Ravager quest is a fight against the lord's mother. (No, really.)

Imagine the Lord at around level 40, with over 1000 HP and the same high-damage, self-healing move set. And you can only bring 4 units.
Also it's a speed battle against a Ravager, so you have to make sure you're the one who delivers the final blow against the boss.

I could possible cheese it with Lenolia and Tsing, if they had a Juggler and a Time Mage to drop Hastes and Quickens on them. Even then, I don't feel good about my chances.

We'll come back to that quest later.

As for how we know it's the lord's mother, here's a notice from the pub:

The Mother-Lord posted:

Honor to the brave adventurer who vanquished the monster known as the Lord of the Flowsand that long plagued the Galerria Deep.

That came to pass but recently, yet now we hear whisperings that the beast has returned... How can this be?

The reports say that the beast is bigger this time, no less. What if, they say, what if it is the lord's mother?

---

While we were doing the Geomancer's Way quests, I picked up a luck stick. This is basically a lottery. You can buy a luck stick every Blackfrost (the first month of the year) and trade it in during Goldsun. Each one is 1,000 gold, and you can get some nice prizes.

---

Let's wrap up this update with another Lezaford Exposition Quest.

The loot is worth it. Lightwing Crystals are the highest-tier holy material loot, used in weapons like the Nirvana staff and Seventh Heaven greatbow.

Espers are what Summoners summon. The quest asks about Scions, being yet more powerful than Espers. They come from another plane of existence, and they can be summoned using certain magickal items.

Some day, we'll be able to summon them ourselves.

---

The Lightwing Crystal is one of the components I need for a great katana for Samuel. This quest rewards us with Strange Liquid, the other missing component.

This law is harder than it looks, actually. Or, well, not harder per se, but more annoying.

Same crew as before. Leed is now a Thief -- he spent time off-screen as a Soldier -- so he can work back towards Ninja.

I fail it almost immediately.

Zoe immediately puts her new spells to good use. Geomancers start with Shining Flare and Nature's Embrace, which honestly covers most scenarios. This airship is all artificial terrain, so I grabbed Artificer's Embrace for her.

Even though it's indoors, we can still use Shining Flare. At 12 MP, it's not particularly spammable.

This time, we actually used our weapons instead of conditions! Well, except for that one Soldier.

Poor guy.

Ominous!

---

It's been a while since I showed you what's going on at the Bazaar.

I've cleared out a lot of it. We're missing a few pieces of armor, a bunch of katanas, and a handful of very useful rods, but pretty much everything else has come to us through the auction houses.

For example, remember the Cheer Staff we got from the auction? Now we can finally buy it legitimately!

We put the Lightwing Crystal and Strange Liquid to good use, along with some Gemsteel, to unlock another katana. Hoarfrost Blade deals ice damage and inflicts Slow, making it one of the best Parivir abilities.

We also unlocked the highest-defense heavy armor in the game, and a few other odds and ends.

---

Thanks for reading! Next update will feature some more side quests, and I think we'll be ready for that story quest relatively soon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That last sword is the Holy Win, no?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yaay! You're training a Seer! I look forward to Magic(k) Frenzy BS soon (and you laughing madly as you experience how it breaks the game in interesting ways). Also, while Geomancers aren't S-rank, it's more because their class doesn't have enough other classes to build off of. By themselves they still are a solid A-rank job. Their spells are solid despite being gimmicky (a combination that's a rarity) and they have an utterly obscene defensive growth. Innate flight for being a Gria doesn't hurt either.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
It's weird that the FFTA games had a different name for the Holy Win, when they're both the same sword.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

That last sword is the Holy Win, no?

I had to look this up! Yes, it's the Holy Win from Vagrant Story, also known as the Zankplus in FFTA. In FFTA2, it's actually a fairly low-tier great sword.

Alkydere posted:

Yaay! You're training a Seer! I look forward to Magic(k) Frenzy BS soon (and you laughing madly as you experience how it breaks the game in interesting ways). Also, while Geomancers aren't S-rank, it's more because their class doesn't have enough other classes to build off of. By themselves they still are a solid A-rank job. Their spells are solid despite being gimmicky (a combination that's a rarity) and they have an utterly obscene defensive growth. Innate flight for being a Gria doesn't hurt either.

That's pretty much my assessment of Geomancer. I think Zoe's going to spend some time as one -- she'd only miss out on some W.ATK growth.

I'm looking forward to the much-promised Magick Frenzy shenanigans. Also, how does it work with support spells? Could I get some fun healing + buffs by taking advantage of elemental absorption?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Solumin posted:

I had to look this up! Yes, it's the Holy Win from Vagrant Story, also known as the Zankplus in FFTA. In FFTA2, it's actually a fairly low-tier great sword.

That's pretty much my assessment of Geomancer. I think Zoe's going to spend some time as one -- she'd only miss out on some W.ATK growth.

I'm looking forward to the much-promised Magick Frenzy shenanigans. Also, how does it work with support spells? Could I get some fun healing + buffs by taking advantage of elemental absorption?

Yes, yes you totally can. Basically anything that costs MP can work with Magick Frenzy. As said, with an Illusionist you end up slapping the entire map with your rods (which are 1-hand weapons so you can dual-wield them). With a Ninja you can use your super cheap veils to basically turn your melee class into a ranged one since you can use a veil to do a quick handful of damage, attempt a status effect then teleport over and slap the target with your katanas which completely bypasses reaction abilities. It works with any ability that uses MP so you can totally use with Paladin (Saint Cross) Black Mage, or Blue Mage spells but for obvious reasons those are less ideal than than the two extremes of Ninja-Seer or Illusionist-Seer. Illusionist-Seers become an excellent approximation of FFTA's Totema, while I'm pretty sure even Naruto would call bullshit on a Ninja-Seer's teleporting.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 14, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Yes, yes you totally can. Basically anything that costs MP can work with Magick Frenzy. As said, with an Illusionist you end up slapping the entire map with your rods (which are 1-hand weapons so you can dual-wield them). With a Ninja you can use your super cheap veils to basically turn your melee class into a ranged one since you can use a veil to do a quick handful of damage, attempt a status effect then teleport over and slap the target with your katanas which completely bypasses reaction abilities. It works with any ability that uses MP so you can totally use with Paladin (Saint Cross) Black Mage, or Blue Mage spells but for obvious reasons those are less ideal than than the two extremes of Ninja-Seer or Illusionist-Seer.

I'm planning on making Leed (our Seer) show off both Ninja and Illusionist.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Solumin posted:

I'm planning on making Leed (our Seer) show off both Ninja and Illusionist.

Yeesss :getin:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Alkydere posted:

you can totally use with (...) Blue Mage spells but for obvious reasons those are less ideal

No kidding, I'm pretty certain the only Blue spell you can Magick Frenzy is Quake, the -ra level earth spell. A bit lacking, I'd say!

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Good to see ya back, by the way! Can't wait for more.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Solumin posted:

The last job to unlock is Ravager, the fourth gria job. We are really not ready for that quest.

Remember Lord of the Flowsand? The Ravager quest is a fight against the lord's mother. (No, really.)

Imagine the Lord at around level 40, with over 1000 HP and the same high-damage, self-healing move set. And you can only bring 4 units.
Also it's a speed battle against a Ravager, so you have to make sure you're the one who delivers the final blow against the boss.

I could possible cheese it with Lenolia and Tsing, if they had a Juggler and a Time Mage to drop Hastes and Quickens on them. Even then, I don't feel good about my chances.

We'll come back to that quest later.

Technically, again, being a speed battle is a point in your favor - the final hit is all that matters, so you could reasonably make the NPC do all the heavy lifting (maybe grab the Angel Ring on the map in the meantime if you need something to do) and killsteal.

It's worth it, since Ravager and Hunter are the only classes Gria ever really use, no matter how unique or interesting Raptor and Geomancer are.

quote:

While we were doing the Geomancer's Way quests, I picked up a luck stick. This is basically a lottery. You can buy a luck stick every Blackfrost (the first month of the year) and trade it in during Goldsun. Each one is 1,000 gold, and you can get some nice prizes.

This is what I was alluding to with there being backup strats for the Shining Lute/Brilliant Theorbo. The Shining Lute is the top tier prize, and the Brilliant Theorbo is second place. The Theorbo is also a repeatable prize from a Bonga Bugle mission, while the Shining Lute is a grand prize for an obnoxious quest chain we haven't even referenced yet, but you can always get more at infinitesimal odds from luck sticks! That's good... right? Right? :shepspends:

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Alright, glad to see you're back at this!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't remember if it was mentioned, but Vaan is in the upcoming Dissidia game (again) and his alternate outfit is from this game.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
wh

what happened to his face

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Is that not how he always looked in XII?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Good to see ya back, by the way! Can't wait for more.

Thanks! :3:

KataraniSword posted:

Technically, again, being a speed battle is a point in your favor - the final hit is all that matters, so you could reasonably make the NPC do all the heavy lifting (maybe grab the Angel Ring on the map in the meantime if you need something to do) and killsteal.

It's worth it, since Ravager and Hunter are the only classes Gria ever really use, no matter how unique or interesting Raptor and Geomancer are.

This is what I was alluding to with there being backup strats for the Shining Lute/Brilliant Theorbo. The Shining Lute is the top tier prize, and the Brilliant Theorbo is second place. The Theorbo is also a repeatable prize from a Bonga Bugle mission, while the Shining Lute is a grand prize for an obnoxious quest chain we haven't even referenced yet, but you can always get more at infinitesimal odds from luck sticks! That's good... right? Right? :shepspends:

I attempted the quest and gave up once half my team was dead. The speed battle is just an extra bit of stress. I tend to underestimate how much damage the NPCs will do, so I'll lose even though things are going well.

InspectorSands posted:

wh

what happened to his face

Anime. :smith:

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

Anime, not even once.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Job Seeq-er: Ranger, Viking, Berserker, Lanista (Job Roundup #13)

Since there's only four of them, we're going to look at all of the seeq jobs in one roundup.

The four seeq jobs are almost entirely physical attackers. Ranger is the only one that can use ranged weapons, and Viking alone learns any spells. The jobs are, overall, not that bad, with a variety of interesting and useful abilities. They don't have any overpowered combinations, and they're a stymied by uninspiring stat growths across the board.

---

Ranger

Races: Seeq
Locked by: Nothing
Unlocks:
- 1 Ability: Viking

Equipment:
- Weapons: Knives, Bows
- Armor: Light Armor

Growths: Great speed and M.RES, average everything else.

Speed is Ranger's most important stat, but that's because it doesn't need any others. This job has access to two incredibly powerful abilities that make attacking with weapons pointless. First, Ranger is the only job that can place its own traps. Traps have great effects like Charm, Silence and dealing 50% of the victim's HP in one shot. You can usually manipulate the AI into triggering the traps, too.

Traps may be good, but Ranger's best ability is Mirror Item. It's fairly self explanatory: any item used through Mirror Item will have its opposite effect. Potions deal 30 damage, Eyedrops inflict blind, X-potions deal 200 damage, Holy Water lowers resilience... the list goes on. 200 guaranteed damage (with good accuracy!) is great, especially in the early-to-mid game. But then you throw in Item Lore, which doubles the effects of items. Suddenly your Ranger is waddling across the battlefield, dropping 400 damage potions on everyone's heads. Only the truly overpowered jobs will out-damage a Ranger, even in the end game. I highly recommend bringing one with you.

---

Viking

Locked by: 1 Ranger + "Lord Grayrl!" quest
Unlocks: Nothing

Equipment:
- Weapons: Axes, Hammers
- Armor: Light Armor, Heavy Armor, Shields

Growth: Pretty average overall. W.ATK and Speed are OK, while M.RES is tied for highest in the game.

Viking is packed to the gills with flavor. They're all about pillaging and victory at sea! Seriously, what kind of melee-focused job learns Thunder, Thundara and Thundaga?! They also get Pickpocket (steals gil) and Pillage, the only ability in the game that steals the target's armor. Their other signature ability is Tsunami, a water-damage magickal attack that can only be used while standing in water. Not exactly easy to use -- I don't think I've ever seen it in any of my playthroughs.

Overall, Viking is pretty cool, but seeq just don't get the stats to support throwing around Thundagas. The way stat growths are distributed makes Ranger the only seeq job really worth using for most of the game, though Viking makes for a fun bit of kit to play around with. It's a shame they don't have the M.POW to make full use of those spells. They're also the only job that learns abilities from axes.

---

Berserker

Locked by: Nothing
Unlocks:
- 1 Ability: Lanista

Equipment:
- Weapons: Claws
- Armor: Light Armor

Growths: Top-tier W.ATK, meh speed, abysmal everything else.

As you'd expect, Berserkers go all-in on attack at the expense of defenses and magick. Unfortunately, they also have Nu Mou-tier Speed. Their abilities are a mix of self-buffs (+Critical Rate and +Evasion), crowd control (buff removal and knockback) and debuffs. They can also destroy accessories and helms!

Berserker reminds me of Fighter, just with more buffs. Their abilities give them a good amount of flexibility, and being able to destroy equipment can be really powerful. Their rather bad stat growths are definitely holding them back though.

---

Lanista

Locked by: 1 Berserker + "Lanista's Pride" quest
Unlocks: Nothing

Equipment:
- Weapons: Greatswords
- Armor: Light Armor, Heavy Armor

Growths: Great physical, average magickal and speed.

Lanista takes the Berserker's strengths and wraps them in an interesting and fun skill set. Remember I complained that +Critical was neat, but not worth relying upon? Lanista makes it worthwhile by giving +Critical to a whole group of allies. They can also raise W.DEF, which again is useful only because it affects a whole group of your units. The core of the Lanista skill tree is Souleater, which consumes your HP to deal dark damage, followed by Sword of Darkness and Razzle-Dazzle to leech HP from your enemies. They also have Sword of Light, which is the MP-restoring version of Sword of Darkness, but when are you going to be using MP? Lanistas get their own version of Rush, called Charge, and the Blind-inflicting Haunting Vision. Blink Counter and Dragonheart are their notable R- and P-abilities.

It's nice to see a unit with some sustain. Razzle-Dazzle targets all units surrounding you, healing you for all the damage you deal. It would be nice if they got Unscarred, but I guess that's too much to ask for. Sword of Light should help quite a bit if you grab Viking as your secondary job, though it's a bit useless otherwise. I'm not sure why they have so much dark damage and HP stealing, but I won't complain.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solumin posted:

Viking is packed to the gills with flavor. They're all about pillaging and victory at sea!

Also Blood and Thunder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
What the hell is the Beserker wearing, nobody asked for this :gonk: