Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Head Editor is a great character to experience, and I like a world where he feels out of place, but not too out of place, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Agreed! He's unique, without being out of place.

Next update is coming SOON!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 29: The Bonga Bugle, Part 2: Journalism Edition

This Update in the LP:
- Bwah ha ha ha!
- The Cringiest Interview!
- Unlimited Power!

---

Hello, hello! FFTA2 LP Head Editor here. This update, we're continuing our jaunt into journalism.

Let's pick up where we left off: Goldsun!

: This month: an inquisitive inquiry into the Field of Hidden Treasure! Can we uncover the mystery of this mysterious place!? How could treasures just appear within the earth? What strange, unnatural laws govern this glittering generation?

: Some legends say there's even more: a treasure that lies buried beneath the others! ...So, let's get on with the unearthing of mystery... and treasure, shall we?

: So, this is a treasure hunt? Cool! Sounds like fun!

: You can't find treasure using your nose alone... which is why I'm giving you this Treasure Detector! Oh, and do be sure to return it. The Owner kindly lent it to me... and I'd rather he didn't find out. Ahem! Allow me to quote the high informative instruction manual. Let's see...
"1. Walk all around!
2. You'll eventually get a reaction from the detector!
3. Dig! Did like your life depended on it! Dig for all you're worth!
4. Treasure shall be yours! Bwah ha ha ha!"

: ...Or some such. So, shall we? Let's try digging in... oh I don't know... three places this time around. Dig much more than that, and there won't be anything left for me - erm... it might damage the environment! Right then! Let's see some treasure finding! Begin!

: Okay! Look out treasure, here I come!

Right, this is another non-combat quest. Certain points on the map contain treasure. Stand on one, as we're doing here, and you can scan for treasure.

You can find Small, Large and Very Large treasures.

Don't bother with Small treasures, unless you're trying to finish as quickly as possible.

Large treasures contain equipment. This is barely a step above starter equipment, but this is a pretty low-level quest.

Very Large treasures are slightly more valuable pieces of equipment.

Now, the law says we aren't allowed to attack.

Really that means it's illegal to use the Attack action! Abilities are perfectly legal.

Move the Editor and find a special treasure!

Well that's a little disappointing.

I explored every treasure tile and found several small treasures, two Large treasures and a single Very Large treasure. Here's a map:

code:
.. 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1
.. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
.. ---------------------
01|X         X   !   X  |
02|                  O  |
03|    O O X            |
04|    O O       L      |
05| X                O  |
06|O           X     X  |
07|X                    |
08|    O           X O  |
09|__X____ X   X       X|
10        |_____________|
L = Your starting position.
! = the Head Editor.
O = a rock or other obstacle.
X = treasure!

Map courtesy of GameFAQs, of course.

: Ho ho! The mystery unravels before our eyes! And treasure! Such treasure! Muah hah hah... Not bad for a day's work, eh? And what a report I've composed! One of my finest, I dare say.

: Hey, that's great! I'm looking forward to the... Huh? Um, Head Editor... what are you doing? Isn't this the part where you go back to the office and write?

: Erm? Eh, well I was just going to dig a little... right.

The Bonga Bugle: Goldsun Edition posted:

This Month in the Bugle:
Field of Hidden Treasures!
That's what they call it, but no matter how much I dig, I get nothing!
Diddly-squat! Why!?

That's the real mystery here.

Other Headlines:
-Dig Like You Mean It! Man Digs Hole After Hole, Finds Nothing
-Rescue Operation! Man Falls In Hole, Can't Get Out
-Hole-Digger Sent To Infirmary With Serious Injuries
-Head Editor's Words To The Wise: "Hole-Digging - Just Say No."

A Word From Our Editor:
Why do treasures come spilling from the depths of the earth? Did some mysterious mage cast magicks to put them there? Did some kindly soul sneak out and bury them in the dark of night for our amusement?

Some say it's just some rich house slinging its rubbish. And you know what they say about one man's rubbish!

-Head Editor, Bonga Bugle, from the infirmary.

---

- Head Editor, Bonga Bugle

One of the annoying parts of this game is how unclear the connections between different quests are.
Well, it's not annoying when you're playing the game, really. Things unlock organically as you fulfill requirements and unlock new locations, making things feel a little deeper and more connected.
But it makes planning LP updates a pain! Especially because this game wasn't as beloved as FFT or FFTA, so there's much less information about how quests are unlocked.

Anyway, my point is, this quest unlocks a new area that several other quests take place in.

It's been a while since we killed a bunch of undead.

: S-So... we're here reporting on haunts and their haunts, s-so to speak... A-And one s-such haunt is h-here, the most forbidden of forbidden places, Shadeholme!

: *gulp* N-Not that there's any such thing as ghosts, right? Right!?

: Hah! Ghosts? No, never seen one. By the way, what's that behind you?

: A-Aaauuugh! A ghooost! A real ghooooost! M-Must hold on t-t-to auntie's g-g-good luck charm! I-I'll be over here ex-exorcising - I mean ph-photographing everything! You just c-carry on!

: Hmph. Fine, we're fighting these ghosts... and keeping our charge safe.

They're undead. They're around level 20. This isn't exactly exciting.

There's a big treasure chest! Faerie Shoes aren't the worst reward.

We have all the usual tools: Monks with Exorcise, Lenolia's Phoenix, plenty of Cure and Cura, and so on.

Also there's apparently traps?

We don't end up exorcising all of them for once. We kill them so quickly it isn't an issue.

: Hrmm? What? You mean, YOU drove the ghosts off? Ah ha ha ha ha! What vivid imaginations you have!

: ...Regardless, you've helped me to craft another masterpiece of fine reportage. I shall make for my desk at once, and commit this tale of paranormal perturbation to paper!

: Bah, close enough to the truth for your paper. Which I'm looking forward to reading, incidentally.

: Ah ha ha! Thank you, thank you.

Shadeholme ends up being pretty important for a lot of end-game sidequests. We'll be back here soon!

The Bonga Bugle: Silversun Edition posted:

This Month in the Bonga Bugle:
Hunting The Haunts!
A fierce battle to the undeath ensues between our heroic Head Editor and the forces of ghostliness. We've got the scoop here!

Other Headlines:
-I Ain't Afeared Of No Poltergeists! Now Taking Orders For "Auntie's Anti-Haunt
Charms"
-Debate: Is Our Head Editor Afraid of Ghosts?
-Special Column: Our Head Editor Weighs In: "Me And Auntie - The Meaning Of After Life"

A Word From Our Editor:
My auntie's an awfully gentle soul. When I was but a boy, I'd come home crying, and she'd sing me a song, or give me a treat, and I'd feel all right. I'll never forget your kindness, auntie! Just stop haunting me!

-Head Editor, Bonga Bugle

---

Reporting assistants wanted.

Hey look, actual journalism! An interview and everything.

Raise your hand if you think this interview will go well.
If you raised your hand, go reread the last update.

: As part of our special on Galmia Pepe this month, we'll be interviewing a representative from Galmia P.R.!

: And... we're not alone! Reporters from sundry less prestigious papers are here, and we can't let them beat us!

: Unseemly creatures, them.

: Grah! Not -them-! One of these days, I'll bury them and their paper... I swear it! Assistant! Do not let them beat you - no matter the cost! You get that interview first!

: Okay, start reporting!!! Get going! Grow wings and fly if you have to!

:master:

: A viera... with wings? That is a most peculiar image. Though I would rather see that, then see myself defeated here. We make for Galmia P.R. at once!

Their typo, not mine. Should be "than".

So I forgot about the law when I was picking out the team. Not really a problem, we'll just send her to get the interview.

And we'll buff her a bit to make it go faster.

Since we have a viera going for the interview, this battle only has a couple rounds to develop.

And they aren't very threatening enemies. If the MP system was different and the casters could actually cast, sure, they'd be something of a threat. But as it is? Not at all.

Anyway, the battle ends when you place a unit in from the Galmia P.R. person.

: This will be the greatest interview of all time! I spent literally hours at my desk thinking of questions, you know! Well then, here goes...

: I... seem to have misplaced my question sheet. I...I can't think of anything!

: I... I am sure you will be able to improvise, yes? I eagerly await the day I might read your article.

: Th...thank you...

Like several quests, this one is timed. No idea what the rewards are, if it's just loot then it probably doesn't matter.

The Bonga Bugle: Ashleaf Edition posted:

This Month in the Bugle:
Galmia Pepe!!!
An exclusive interview with a Pepe employee!

Q: Tell us, what's your favorite direction?
A: You mean, like... a compass direction? Um, North, I guess?

Q: In your opinion, which eye would you say you blink more, the left or the right?
A: Um...don't they blink at the same time?

Q: Are you the kind who can't sleep without a light on in the room?
A: When you are going to ask me real questions?

Q: Why have you answered all my questions with questions?
A: Right. Thanks for stopping by. Have a nice day.

Other Headlines:
-Mystery! The Case Of The Missing Memo Pad
-Hit Song: "Making It Up Is Hard To Do."
-Head Editor's Words To The Wise: "Unprepared? Be prepared to deal with angry people."

A Word From Our Editor:
Did you know that spiffy hat I'm always wearing is a bona fide Galmia Pepe?

I got a discount, of course.

---

This one's pretty fun.

It's just a straightforward, all-out battle against a handful of monsters.

Not exactly a challenge at this point, but it's fun to go all out.

: This month we're looking at power, and lots of it! So, I'll be having you fight some monsters, to see what happens! Sound good? Just how powerful are our clans? I plan to find out!

: Yes... I am ready!

: Be sure to slay those monsters as speedily as you can - it makes for a better photo! Ah ha ha ha!

: ...Incidentally, I could polish them off in one round. Why? Because I'm -that- powerful, that's why!!! Now get chopping!

: The Head Editor says much, but means little. No matter. It is time for Clan Sawyer to show its true colors!

I don't think that means what you think it means, Lenolia. Also, I really like Adelle's line here:

: You... just go on thinking that, Head Editor! Okay, it's time to show what Clan Sawyer can do!

As the Head Editor hinted, this mission is timed. There's no time limit, but you get a reward based on how long you take to finish the battle.

The law forbids harming characters will levels lower than ours. The weakest enemy is this level 36 Nidhogg, everything else is level 37 or 38. Fortunately, we still have a few people at level 36.

This is pretty indicative of what we're seeing from the enemies in this battle. It's a little disappointing.

I keep forgetting that Magick Frenzy hurts your friends.

Four targets with one spell. ~75 damage on average, give or take. I love Summoner.

Honestly, the enemies don't really get a chance to hurt us.

Hey look, Ultima! There's no kill like overkill.

Anyway, it doesn't take long for us to blender our way through the enemy.

: Heh heh... A little more and you might even give me a run for my gil! I'll have to keep in shape! Now, off to my office to record the gallantry of the day!

: You are satisfied, I see. Looking forward to reading the article!

: Thank you, thank you.

If you take 1 - 3 rounds, you get a Nirvana. You can get this from the Moorabella auction several hours before this quest is available.

If you take 4 or more turns, you get the Brilliant Theorbo! This is the reward from Hurdy's instrument hunt if you don't get the extra ingredient.

I have no idea what the rewards are for later rounds. It really shouldn't take you that long, and I doubt the rewards are any good.

The Bonga Bugle: Mistleaf Edition posted:

This Month in the Bugle:
Power Beyond Reckoning, Reckoned!
Clan Sawyer Results:
"Strong To The Extreme"
I remember, he ran up to me and said:
"Hey Head Editor, you okay? You just leave that big guy to me! You've got your back problems to think of!"
(Want to read more? Look inside)

Other Headlines:
-Required Reading: The Way To Win Battles
-Winning With Points For Style
-A Cheer For Strong-arm Headhunters, House Bowen!
"Not bad, you guys!"

A Word From Our Editor:
Little did you know it, but this tourney is one way to become truly famous as a clan.

No, -the- way!

Win big here, and you join an exclusive circle of past winners that include such luminaries as the 100 Geniuses, Violene, the Arbiters of Death, and many, many more!

---

Thank you, thank you! On behalf of the FFTA2 LP, I hope you'll all go to auctions more.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2018

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Solumin posted:

:I-I'll be over here ex-exorcising - I mean ph-photographing everything! You just c-carry on!

Ah, I thought the Head Editor would fit in a Fatal Frame game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Solumin posted:

Reporting assistants wanted.

I don't think you grabbed the right image here, or if you did, you did not transcribe the right part.

Also, on the Galmia Pepe guy interview, you have "don't think blink at the same time?".

Also these quests are good and FFTA2 is good.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Solumin posted:

Thank you, thank you! On behalf of the FFTA2 LP, I hope you'll all go to auctions more.

:allears:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think you grabbed the right image here, or if you did, you did not transcribe the right part.

Also, on the Galmia Pepe guy interview, you have "don't think blink at the same time?".

Also these quests are good and FFTA2 is good.

Fixed! Thank you for catching those. I rushed proofreading a bit. (I'm distracted by TRIVIA!)

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

The side article about presumably the Head Editor getting stuck in a hole reminds me of the time Ryan North got stuck in a "hole".

Drufle
Dec 15, 2010
Hey, just to let you know; the offsite link for update 27 has update 29's content somehow.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Drufle posted:

Hey, just to let you know; the offsite link for update 27 has update 29's content somehow.

How odd! Update 27 now lives in this thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835256&pagenumber=19&perpage=40#post482648515

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, people must be really hard up for reading material if this rag's still in circulation.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

Man, people must be really hard up for reading material if this rag's still in circulation.

I always thought of the Bugle as like Weekly World News Jylland Edition.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!
I mean, people still The Sun and all its equivilents outside of England, so it's not so far-fetched.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Yesss. We must recreate Shield Souls in Ivalice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 30: The Bonga Bugle, Part 3: How is this paper still around?

In This Update:
- Crime scenes!
- Meeting the Owner in all his glory!
- More weird interview questions!

---

Hello and welcome back! Today's update concludes our foray into the wide world of journalism. Let's dive right into it!

Selection by interview. Wolves only. Sheep need not apply!

Khamja doesn't really count as a crime syndicate, if you were wondering.

Or maybe the Editor knows well enough not to bother them.

: And we're looking at crime syndicates this month! I know you're eager to start, but... That's right! It's time for a simple interview.

: Alright, here goes!

Now that's just mean, Mr. Editor.

Let's choose the correct answer:

: You're hired! I didn't expect anyone to actually howl for me...

: Has it come to this? Howling for my pay...?

: So, if I may begin... We'll be focusing on the Zedlei Consortium this time. In Targ Woods, no less!

A quick walk across the continent later...

: W-We're reporting on a crime syndicate to-today... Y-You'll be in the, er, line of fire, so I was hoping you could help with my report!

: Eh? What's that suspicious glare there for? You don't believe me...? Well maybe some cold steel will change yer mind!

: W-Wait! I'm here to serve you! I'll do anything! How about my hat? You like? You can all have one! J-Just spare my life!!!

: Bwahaha! Anything, you say? How 'bout everything, then! Drop what you're carrying and leave!

: Time to fight, and protect the Head Editor!

The Zedlei Consortium always fields a team of seeq and produce. Vicious, angry, monstrous produce. In this case, an Alraune and a Malboro.

The seeqs are slightly more dangerous. Or at least the Ranger is. He's not very good at placing traps though, I never ran into the ones he placed.

Despite the high levels of the enemy, this battle isn't too hard. The Malboro and Berserker are rather slow -- the former only got two or three turns. The Ranger would rather set traps, and the Alraune can barely scratch us.

Besides this hit, the Editor stays back and doesn't try to fight the enemies himself.

Also, we have Magick Frenzy. Why have I never used this job before?

I caught Leed mid-Frenzy.

Here's one of Paladin's signature attacks: Saint Cross. It's like Roundhouse, except kind of good!

It doesn't take too long to clean up the rest of the enemies.

: Whew! That did it!

The Head Editor decided to hide behind the bar. Honestly, I can't blame him.

Ivalicean alcohol is probably pretty awesome.

: Wait, what do you mean, "criminal-on-criminal"?!

: Well, well, let's not let the details distract us from the big picture here!

The Bonga Bugle: Emberleaf Edition posted:

This Month in the Bugle:
Crime: It's More Organized Than You Think!
Obtained: Rare Footage of Syndicate Turf Wars!

The Violent Syndicate
VS.
The Evil Syndicate

Other Headlines:
- Shocking! Boy Turns To Life Of Crime!
- Appalling! Battle Without Honor or Mercy!
- Head Editor's Words to the Wise: "The barman's mad at me again."

A Word From Our Editor:
Our special on organized crime isn't selling very well. I guess our fairer readers don't go for the down and dirty reportage we've come to be known for. So, why do we insist on doing a crime special once a year? Is this someone's idea of a bad joke!? Can't wait for next year's Emberleaf edition...

At least he was kind enough not to name our clan!

---

"You'll be owner next!"
(Transportation costs reimbursed.)

By now, we're well familiar with the Head Editor: a bumbling, incompetent mess of a journalist who somehow manages to get the paper out every month.

Now we get to meet the person who enables this perpetual car crash: The Owner.

: We've got something special for you this month: that's right, our Owner!!! Now it's time for a simple interview. All right, here goes!

These are some great options, honestly.

Role model:

Disgrace:

And the actual correct answer:

: Sometimes it's hard to say it like you mean it.

: ...Ahem! Right! ...What was I saying? Ah yes! We'll be conducting our reportage in Fluorgis! I'll be heading out now! See you there! And don't go forgetting!

I brought Vaan and Penelo along. I'm trying to keep their levels on track with the rest of the clan's, even though they're not that fun to use.

And by "not that fun," I suppose I mean, "they haven't spent several thousand AP to become severely overpowered yet."

: This month we're doing a special on the man himself, our very own Owner of the Bonga Bugle! Watch in amazement as our Owner strews the field of battle with the broken remains of his foes! And I'll be recording every minute of the action, with you as witness!

Great. Grenades.

: You sure the Owner is up to this?

: Such... insolent fools! Apologize to the Owner at once! The Owner possesses power of which the likes of you can only dream! Just watch his level when combat begins... therein lies the truth! Well, Owner! Are you prepared!?

:buddy:

: All right, let's see everyone giving it their all out there! I want -epic- violence, people!

: You're... serious? ...Okay then. Guess it's fighting time. Oh, and we protect the Owner... and the Head Editor, while we're at it.

So this battle is actually one of the harder Bonga Bugle quests.

Because of this. The Owner has absolutely no sense of self preservation, willingly jumps into combat, and is only level 1.

(This was from my first attempt. I was luckier the second time.)

There's really not much you can do to keep him safe besides kill the two enemies near him. They'll prioritize him over other targets, so move quickly.

Ranged attacks and the layout of the battlefield will challenge you.

This was the first lucky break: the Editor had enough time to heal the Owner with a Potion.

He knows who keeps the lights on, I suppose.

That means he'll actually survive the counterattack.

Wait, hold on, how the hell did he survive that? I really should have checked his abilities, he should have died there!

I honestly have no idea why I didn't notice that while playing. Anyway, Adelle heals him back to full.

There's stuff going on over here, no one cares.

This side of the battlefield is now safe. The Owner will try to run over to the enemies on the other side, but he's really slow. We have enough time to finish them off before he throws himself into danger again.

This helps a lot.

And the last one falls a few turns later.

: Ho ho! Gorgeous! I was able to get a splendid shot of our esteemed Owner in action! Hmm!? I believe the Owner wants to say something!

: Owner, I will carry those words with me to my grave! Poetry! Pure poetry! And now, it's back to the office to write, write, write!

: Ah, right. Well, glad you're happy.

: Oh, and by the way, Happy New Year to you!

The Bonga Bugle: Plumfrost Edition posted:

This Month in the Bugle:
All Hail Our Owner!!!
Master of sword in field and quill at desk! Superb on the attack, superfluous on defense! Quick to dine, and quicker to nap! What's the secret to his miraculous powers!?

Other Headlines:
-What Do Bugle Employees Think Of Our Owner?
"Those pink neckties are... amazing."
"His feet stin- smell incredible!"
"His airship loan is second to none!"
"I'm not sure how we're still in business"

A Word From Our Editor:
I did a little peeking into Our Owner's history for this special feature and found a curious connection between Our Owner, a member of the Clan Mates Adventurer's Guild, and the Seeker of Slaughter!

That's right, these three individuals were once in a clan together! Not only that, their clan was a real go-getter, much like today's House Bowen.

I was sadly unable to discover why they disbanded, or why Our Owner is such a wim- er, so reserved these days.

Then again, with clan members like that, I suppose it had to fall apart sooner or later!

We've already met the Clan Mates fellow. I can only assume the Seeker of Slaughter is as nice as the other members of his clan.

---

One of the more unique quests, where we go around and talk to everyone in Moorabella.

Everyone. I mean going door to door, too. Every person and every house must be surveyed!

: Anyway, it's that time of year again when folks feels strangely compelled to set themselves unrealistic goals! I refer, of course, to New Year's resolutions. Yes, people can't get enough of them! Which means...? Which means -you'll- soon be busy asking around to find out just what resolutions are being made this year!

: Um... How do I do that again?

: Why, it's easy as pie! Talk to people on the street, or knock on doors and talk to the residents of the city! Don't worry about bothering anyone, you're a -reporter- remember? Oh ho ho, people just love attention.

: When you're done, just come to me and let me know what the most popular resolutions were, eh?

: I think I can do that... but isn't that your job as head editor? What are you going to do?

: Ah, good question! Well, as it happens, I'm currently researching an article about... pastimes which involve snow? Yes! Pastimes of the snowy variety! As such, I'll be over here making a snowseeq until you return.

: Er... right. Well, I suppose there's nothing to do but get this done with!

: What? It's a family tradition! Now get reporting!

There's four kinds of resolutions: making money, keeping healthy, pursuing hobbies and working hard. It's not always clear which resolution falls into which category, though most of them are about making money.

"Tee hee! Why, I'd love to on lots of trips with my man... I suppose that means I'll have to work hard and make lots of money! Hope that helps!"

"I suppose I'd best diet if I'm going to fit into my old clothes. *munch* *munch*"

And some of them maybe aren't resolutions at all.

Pursuing hobbies? Making money? Kind of both, aren't they?

New year's resolution: Knock over a couple banks. Making money, working hard and pursuing a hobby, all in one.

:kimchi: That's just precious.

Anyway, once you've had enough of the local color, head back over to the Head Editor and talk to him.

: Well then, tell me! What's the most popular resolution this year? Oh, and get it right... You'll only get once chance. This isn't a game, you know. So tell me! What was the most popular resolution for the new year?

This year's was "pursuing hobbies." To be honest, I ended up guessing.

: Yes, yes. Sometimes a little diversion makes the difference between a life of joy, and a life of drudgery. Don't tell anyone, but I've got a bit of a hobby myself! Napping! I do it at work all the time.

: ...Ahem. *snort* Where was I? Oh yes... Thanks to you, we have a report to grace our front page this month! I'll head back to the office and with a twirl of my quill, make these notes into a story!

: Hey, that's great. I'll be sure to check it out.

The Bonga Bugle: Blackfrost Edition posted:

Happy New Year!

This Month in the Bugle:
Our New Year's Resolutions!
1) Early to rise. *yawn*
2) Don't be so forgetful...was it?
3) Eat less. *belch*

Other Headlines:
-Head Editor Catches Cold On Assignment
-Head Editor Blows Nose On Assignment
-Head Editor Blows Nose Again
-Head Editor Makes Mess of Notes

A Word From Our Editor:
How many of us make New Year's resolutions but never follow through with them? And why?

Beacuse we forget what they were. That's why I never make resolutions.

At least, I don't -remember- making any!

---

Cool and collected applicants preferred.

Are we really at the last Bonga Bugle already?

Not entirely: every one of these quests is repeatable! This is actually pretty nice, because they reward you with some solid mid-tier loot.

: And we're looking at... that's right, famous places! Ahem! But before we get started... I'd like to conduct a simple interview, if you would?

: Nobody in my office laughs like that! Nobody! You're out!

That's what you're going to complain about? Really?

The correct answer:

: ... Oh ho! Yes! You're cool, you're very cool! Why, I feel a slight chill! Congratulations. You're hired!

: All right!

: So, if I may begin... This time we'll be investigating the Ruins of Delgantua! I'll be heading out now! See you there! And don't go forgetting!

Fortunately, we aren't overly reliant on buffs. Tranq (+Accuracy) would be great for this battle though.

: This month we're taking a look at a place worth taking a look at! And photographing it! Our vict-ahem- subject will be Delgantua, ruins of mystery! Ah, her crumbling parapets! Ah, her darkened sconces! What a sight! What a ruin!

: Not a very convincing pitch... If I didn't know any better, I'd say our Head Editor's not all that into his subject.

: Aaaauuuuugh! It's a gh-ghost or something, isn't it? W-Well, I've got photos to take, s-so I'll let my trusty assistants deal with the local color! Time to report! Aiiiieeeee!!!

: Who are you calling a ghost!? You're the pale one, spooky one! Wait... what are you doing here? What wrong do you intend upon us!?

: I kind of agree the Head Editor is the suspicious one here... Oh well. Let's do this... and keep our favorite editor safe and sound!

The only scary thing here is we're facing a clan of viera. Fortunately, they aren't terribly powerful, and they're slightly below our level.

No gimmicks here, besides navigating the water and the cliff. Flying units or Faerie shoes are great on this map.

This is starting to feel like cheating.

Of course, they do get some good hits in.

Conditions don't care what level you are.

But we have a mass cleanse in the form of Unicorn!

I still love Break.

This made me realize another problem with conditions in this game. Or, I guess, an effect of the condition nerf. Since they all have low base accuracy now, only the ones that really incapacitate the target -- Stone, Stop, Sleep+Doom, for example -- are worth the risk. Less debilitating conditions can be useful in niche situations, but why bother Berserking or Poisoning someone when you can stop them from taking any turns at all?

Also, there's apparently traps here, but once again we somehow don't run into any of them.

Anyway, that's three of them down for the count. The White Mage could probably have helped the stoned Elementalist, but she never got the chance.

The trap really made sure of that.

: Brilliant! Splendid! I've never taken so many photos of the supernatural before! I needs must return to the bureau and make of this a story!

: Um, look, they weren't... Whatever. Looking forward to the paper!

The Bonga Bugle: Skyfrost Edition posted:

The Month in the Bugle:
The Most Beautiful Spot In The World!
Beauty without compare, faithful readers! I'd print the photographs I took, but to do so would be a disservice to the stunning beauty of the place! You must go there and see it for yourself! All of you! Now!

Other Headlines:
-Head Editor Takes 1,000 Photographs On Assignment
-Head Editor Contemplating Career As Photographer?
-Head Editor Leaves Lens Cap On
-"Night: A Study In 1,000 Images" Rocks Art World

A Word From Our Editor:
Why are famous places so popular? Maybe they became famous -because- they were popular? But what about places where there isn't anything to do, or anything good to eat. Just a lot of scenery sitting around?

Who'd want to go there!?

---

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed these Bonga Bugle quests. I've said before that this game's writing is one of its strengths, and these quests are proof. They're silly, well-paced and enjoyable.

We'll surely see the Head Editor again -- he likes to stick his nose into whatever interesting business pops up. Sometimes the Owner tags along, too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Is that dialogue with Frimelda and the consortium unique to her? So weird to see a swordmaster who's gone through so much and is usually pretty stoic act like that.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I can't say for sure. Different quests have different levels of specialization. Some have the same line for everyone, most have different lines for each race, and others add lines for the unique characters. So those lines could be Frimelda's, or they could be generic hume lines.

If I had to guess, they're Frimelda's unique lines and the writers forgot who she is.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Solumin posted:

I can't say for sure. Different quests have different levels of specialization. Some have the same line for everyone, most have different lines for each race, and others add lines for the unique characters. So those lines could be Frimelda's, or they could be generic hume lines.

If I had to guess, they're Frimelda's unique lines and the writers forgot who she is.

Could also have been a translation goof on the "eek." If it were an "ugh" or some similar exclamation it'd be more in character.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shitenshi posted:

Is that dialogue with Frimelda and the consortium unique to her? So weird to see a swordmaster who's gone through so much and is usually pretty stoic act like that.

They're generic canned lines, albeit I think in this case they've got the racial accent on them (meaning moogles kupo, bangaa make ssss noises, etc). Character-specific lines for characters other than Luso are either generally in plot missions or in missions directly related to that character, and they're never in repeatable quests.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Blackfrost Bugle. It's got literally no combat in it so no matter what level your crew is they can go in and do it, but it takes for-goddamn-ever. I'm pretty sure you have to talk to each and every person each and every time, too, or else you auto-fail - even though a few of the in-stage units (the two Prima Donna fanboys and the muncher up on the rooftop) have the same exact resolution every year and could feasibly be skipped since you know exactly what they'll say.

Nope, gotta do 'em or you piss off that fat tub of lardwonderful, creative editor.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 22, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
You can guess; just hope you get lucky (or savescum, one or the other).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

Could also have been a translation goof on the "eek." If it were an "ugh" or some similar exclamation it'd be more in character.

Good point. Or maybe it's just the generic line, like KataraniSword suggested.

Leraika posted:

You can guess; just hope you get lucky (or savescum, one or the other).

The dialogue is funny enough that I don't mind talking to everyone, at least the first time. But honestly, you might as well just guess.

Together, all 12 Bonga Bugle quests was 3 hours of footage, roughly 32 GB total.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I have a love-hate relationship with the Blackfrost Bugle. It's got literally no combat in it so no matter what level your crew is they can go in and do it, but it takes for-goddamn-ever. I'm pretty sure you have to talk to each and every person each and every time, too, or else you auto-fail - even though a few of the in-stage units (the two Prima Donna fanboys and the muncher up on the rooftop) have the same exact resolution every year and could feasibly be skipped since you know exactly what they'll say.

Yeah, I feel you there. The problem is that everyone who isn't in your clan gets a turn too so by the third turn you might have six units going and waiting between your next turn comes around.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, now I get why people read the Bugle. They want to be the ones to say they were right there when it all went down in flames.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I feel you there. The problem is that everyone who isn't in your clan gets a turn too so by the third turn you might have six units going and waiting between your next turn comes around.

The plus side is that it shows you where every NPC is so you don't forget to talk to everyone?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I’d like to point out a certain combo that one can use if they want MP on a mage. (Don’t think it’s been pointed out in the thread or LP)

1: Equip mage(s) with elemental absorption armor
2: Have a banga with Soul Sphere and a weapon that matches the equipped person(s) armor element absorbtion
3: Use Soul Sphere on person(s)
4: Be healed to your person(s) MP
5: Commit murder of everything that stands in your way because you now have infinite MP
6: Repeat process until you kill god or whatever

I know it’s a bit cheesy, situational and whatnot, but hey, another way to cheat game mechanics never hurts nobody

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Kemix posted:

I’d like to point out a certain combo that one can use if they want MP on a mage. (Don’t think it’s been pointed out in the thread or LP)

1: Equip mage(s) with elemental absorption armor
2: Have a banga with Soul Sphere and a weapon that matches the equipped person(s) armor element absorbtion
3: Use Soul Sphere on person(s)
4: Be healed to your person(s) MP
5: Commit murder of everything that stands in your way because you now have infinite MP
6: Repeat process until you kill god or whatever

I know it’s a bit cheesy, situational and whatnot, but hey, another way to cheat game mechanics never hurts nobody

Or since you're already using a bangaa as a mana battery you can just use a cannoneer with Ether Shell. Seems like a lot less work for the rough same effect.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I also want to say that you can make it an AoE for even more OPness compared to that but that might be the inferior moogle version :v:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Soul Sphere might be AoE, itself; if I remember correctly I think it was in FFTA1. Or if not, its animation made it look AoE.

Also Ether Shell is a flat 60 MP and the efficacy of the Soul Sphere method would depend on what weapon your Templar is using (probably Holy; the Excalibur is the strongest elemental weapon they have access to. If you want the 2-panel range of a spear you drop 13 Attack but get to pick between the Gae Bolg, Lava Spear, and Ice Lance since those three all have the same power).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

EponymousMrYar posted:

I also want to say that you can make it an AoE for even more OPness compared to that but that might be the inferior moogle version :v:

Cannoneer can give their basic attacks AoE, but it doesn't affect their other abilities. So Ether Shell is still single target, and I think the Flintlock's Ether Cannon is also single-target. Not sure how much it restores though.

Unfortunately I can't test Soul Sphere, since Lian hasn't mastered it yet. I'm wondering if the Raptor's Soul Crush (which does HP and MP damage) could be used as a heal and MP restorer. They can even equip the lightning-element Vajra broadsword, too.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Solumin posted:

Unfortunately I can't test Soul Sphere, since Lian hasn't mastered it yet. I'm wondering if the Raptor's Soul Crush (which does HP and MP damage) could be used as a heal and MP restorer. They can even equip the lightning-element Vajra broadsword, too.

Might wanna test test that next time you get the chance. Would be fun to see if it does or doesn't work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I've been thinking about this the past few days, but why don't Seeq have Blood Price as one of their skills? I could see them having a class that has that, something that swaps their W. Pow and M. Pow for attacking and casting spells, and a spell list involving non-common elements (Earth, Water, Aero, ect). Give it a big bucket of HP growth and zero MP growth and make it a living mana battery. It would fit with their unusual class designes.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Randalor posted:

I've been thinking about this the past few days, but why don't Seeq have Blood Price as one of their skills? I could see them having a class that has that, something that swaps their W. Pow and M. Pow for attacking and casting spells, and a spell list involving non-common elements (Earth, Water, Aero, ect). Give it a big bucket of HP growth and zero MP growth and make it a living mana battery. It would fit with their unusual class designes.

That would be really cool! They could have a buff like Prime that trades some W. Atk for M. Pow, maybe. (It can't be a passive ability because blood price already takes that slot. Or maybe all their spells cost HP by default -- this might be more balanced because blood price already boosts damage.) You could give them some support skills, like spending some HP to restore allies' MP in an area. Give them Earth, Water, Wind and Dark spells, at least.

Unfortunately, this would require the developers to let another race have Blood Price instead of just their special bunny waifus. And they would have to actually flesh out seeq.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Supposedly the Nu Mou were gonna have Blood Price as well. But that required the devs to finish the game, which apparently they ran short on time and money for, so the class that was supposed to get it (Grenadier) never made it in besides the occasional art asset.

Of course, other than the reliable and solid Sage and Alchemist, Nu Mou rather lack interesting, non-poo poo unique caster jobs compared to other races. Then again, a BP Illusionist or Black Mage dropping -agas every turn would still be something to contend with.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 31: This Update Is Mostly About Sentient Rocks

In This Update:
- Meet interesting people!
- See beautiful sights!
- Make FFXII references!

---

Welcome back. Today's update is about catching up on Adelle's Heritor quests and resolving the Stone With No Name quest line.

It's basically filler. Sorry. But I promise it won't be too boring.

I actually completed this quest back around Update 27, but that update was already long enough. And then it didn't fit in with any of the Bonga Bugle quests, obviously.

Fortunately, the clan doesn't change much between updates these days. Someone picks up a new ability, maybe swap some jobs around, that's really it.

Anyway, on to the battle.

: I suppose this is a bit much even for the Paling Gods.

: Hey, Adelle. What are all these pillars for?

: Monuments honoring the Paling Gods, I'd imagine.

The monument nearest us starts to glow.

: Did you hear that?

: Hear what?

: The stone glowed, and there was a voice. You didn't hear it?

: Um, no.

: ... Anyway, we need to do something about these monsters.

Your standard "walk around and investigate objects" battle.

I'm pretty sure the monsters here scale with the clan's level. Everyone is around level 35, so we should have no problem with the law.

For once, I didn't take a clear shot of the team. We have Adelle, Tsing, Leed, Jalia, Lian and Zoe.

Might as well hit the first stone. You can see the other two stones in these pictures, at the far left and top of the screen.

Besides the glowing and Adelle's commentary, nothing happens after touching the stone.

Adelle activates the second stone.

The monsters aren't any special. I suppose you could capture the Chocobos or pick up a couple Blue Mage abilities from the Malboros. Killing them just summons a new monster to take their place.

And Adelle just reminds you about your actual goal.

Zoe reaches the last stone quickly, thanks to her wings and the Ninja Tabi.

: The voice of a Paling God...?

We get a new katana for our troubles.

The Hyakushiki-masamune is tied for the strongest weapon in the game with an enormous 78 Attack. Adelle currently wields The Fallen Angel, the strongest Knightsword in the game. Hyakushiki-masamune gives another +6 Attack and a total of +15 Magick Power.

Now, The Fallen Angel has an advantage over the Hyakushiki-masamune: it's really easy to get multiple Angels, making them a better choice for dual wielders. On the other hand, Parivir has the strongest single-hit attacks (besides Ultima abilities) and uses katanas. Samuel is going to love this sword.

The Heritor ability it teaches is a little less impressive.

It's really good if you find yourself in a rough situation, where losing one unit is worth getting a few more back. There's definitely been a few fights (not so far in this run) where half my team is knocked out, at low HP, or bogged down by too many conditions to do anything useful. Elpe is the perfect ability then.

Or you could be more careful and not get into that situation in the first place. Good equipment and some tactical thought will keep you out of trouble for most battles.

Savior of the Fens posted:

In Tramdine Fens sits a shrine to the Paling Gods, yet in fact it honors not those protector spirits of myth, but a small girl who once lived in a village near the fens. The girl's name was Elpe. Elpe was said to possess wondrous powers with which she mended the ill, and drove off all manner of fell creatures.

Once, a great horde of demons most foul descended upon her village, and so Elpe bestowed her own strength upon three standing pillars of stone, sacrificing herself to keep the demons at bay.

Since that day, the stones have been known as the Shrine of the Paling Gods, and not a day goes by that the descendents of those villagers do not bring fresh flowers there in rememberance of their saviour.

-Excerpt from "The Traditions of Ivalice"
"Descendants and "rememberance" are spelled incorrectly in the original.

---

Adelle mastered Elpe during all those Bonga Bugle quests, so it's already time for the next quest. Let's go save Goug!

This quest actually unlocks a new area, which is cool.

There's no music playing, just the murmur of the wind through the burnt and twisted trees.

: So you're the Prophet Hilo?

Hilo nods.

: Have you been waiting here all this time? Why?

: I will fight alongside you. I have no intention of fiddling while Goug burns.

Samuel and Adelle come to stand next to Hilo, and our enemy is revealed. :stonk:

The music shifts into "The Confronted Ones," which I believe is also the FFXII boss battle theme.

I don't often link music. (Mostly because this game's OST is hard to find.) This one is definitely worth clicking.

: What in blazes is that?

: Whatever it is, it's standing in a pool of lava. We'll never be able to reach it there.

Hilo turns to Adelle and hands her a sword.

: This blade is called Chirijiraden in the Eastern Kingdoms where it was forged. The power it holds will enable you to strike even distant foes. Take it.

You may recognize that tongue-twister of a name from FFXII!

Chirijiraden is the most powerful Sword in the game, but the second weakest Heritor weapon. Hilo is a pretty good ability though.

: Hey, how come -she- gets the cool sword?

: I have looked on the face of the one meant to wield this blade.

: What's that supposed to mean?

: Then... you saw the outcome of this battle?

: Do you truly want to know?

: What, and ruin the surprise? No thanks!

: Hrmph.

: That's just like you, isn't it? Well, enough talk. We've got a monster to stop.

Let's see what exactly we're facing.

No equipment, MP Shield for a little extra tankiness, and Impervious because of course bosses can't be affected by conditions.

Only three attacks. I can see they're going for an "ancient defense system" theme, but where does Beguile fit in?

Here's our team for this fight. Mostly ranged damage -- even Samuel does alright on that front with Parivir's Wind Slash.

852 HP? Is that a lot?

(Not really.)

Adelle equipped Chirijiraden before the battle started. Hilo does the same damage as Wermut, but has a huge 6-square range. Her other abilities only go up to 4!

Its animation is a little underwhelming.

I really should have prepared better for this.

Samuel and Leed are Doomed, but only Hilo is Charmed. Charm is easier to block, since more accessories block it than block Doom.

One deficiency of this game is it does not show you a unit's innate elemental resistances before the battle starts. This is especially annoying for Snipers, because their best weapons deal elemental damage that many enemies resist. In this case, the Incubus is immune to all elemental damage.

The Incubus fired off another Beguile, which fortunately only hit Leed. Hilo, who himself is still Charmed, snaps him out of it.

One round and we've cut its health almost in half. Leed's Magick Frenzy did over 150 damage alone!

Of course, it doesn't take this beating lying down.

Not gonna lie, that's an awesome attack.

Let's end this with an appropriately awesome attack!

Later, after the battle:

: What a relief.

: For us all.

: So, your gift is to see into the future... I never knew the Gifted Ones had so many different powers.

: I sense a great power sleeping within you. A power that will soon awaken. The time draws near.

: ...

: What this power is, you must see for yourself.

: I will. Well, I should be going. What should I do with the sword?

: Keep it. It's yours.

: Thank you for your help.

Adelle leaves.

: It is time I left as well. Too long have I dwelt in this borrowed flesh.

...what?

He teleports away.

---

Well, that's us caught up on Heritor quests. We only have a few of those left!

While we're in Goug, let's take care of a quest that can only be found in that city.

- Tchipo, Dow Bridge Operator

Now, you may be thinking this is just another item finding quest. Look at some glowy spots, dodge some enemies, the usual.

And you'd be right! Except these enemies are... special.

This here is a Magick Pot, an enemy that we have never seen before and will never see again.

They have 3 abilities. Pester makes them ask for an Elixir. Punish ("No loot for you!") and Reward ("Thanks!") do exactly what they sound like, and which one you use depends on whether or not you give them an Elixir.

Also, there are a bunch of Mimics here.

: Why is it things never seem to get lost somewhere brightly lit?

That is a really good question, Henri.

: Let's find that key and be done with this.

So here's what Magick Pots do:

First, they teleport around.

Then they use Pester and beg you for an Elixir. Yes, the rare, hard-to-find and incredibly useful Elixir.

Oh, and remember the law forbids Items.

If you don't give them an Elixir, they use Punish to immediately kill one of your units.

What happens if you give them an Elixir? Well, they'll use Reward instead, which causes them to give you a piece of loot and then kills the Magick Pot.

At level 41, this Magick Pot has 235 HP. It has no elemental weaknesses -- in fact, it absorbs all elements -- but fairly weak defenses. Don't bother with the Elixirs. Just kill them.

Anyway, our task here is to investigate the shiny objects. Most of them are garbage. The actual bridge key is the one furthest away from us, because it always is.

We kill a few Mimic and Pots along the way, but there's an infinite number of them. Which actually makes this a great quest for farming loot, if you can be bothered.

Can you see what's wrong with this screenshot?

Lenolia isn't wearing her Holy-absorbing robe. I do not remember to fix this.

This exposes one weakness with Blood Price: Low HP means you can't cast any spells, which means you won't be able to heal.

The Magick Pots have some sweet equipment: an Orb of Minwu (which prevents many conditions) and a Magick Ring. Frustratingly, we can't steal them.

Several turns and dead Mimics later, Hurdy finally walks up to the correct shiny spot.

This key opens the passageway between Goug and Kthili sands. It's not very useful as shortcuts go -- it doesn't shorten the distance from Fluorgis to Goug.

Still, it's nice to have helped.

---

Two more quests to take care of!

You may remember way, way back in Update 6, we did a quest called The Star Seal, in which we uncovered a hidden area in Targ Woods by pressing the Star Seal to The Stone With No Name. We opened another area in Camoa by doing the same with the Moon Seal in Update 11.

Well, here we are again, bringing the Sun Seal to The Stone With No Name.

: Please, press the Sun Seal to the Stone with No Name... discover its true nature.

: You don't seem too well... Maybe you should rest while I check out the stone.

We find ourselves in Shadeholme, the area we unlocked during the Bonga Bugle quest line.

These guys are falling behind a little in XP. Samuel is basically guaranteed to always be ahead, and he's at Level 40 while the rest of the clan lags around level 38.

: There's an odd-looking stone by that monster... The Stone with No Name and its guardian, as always.

: An odd choice for a guardian. Heh. Well, let's get closer and try the Sun Seal.

Sorry, but you're in the way.

That's pretty much all the screenshots I took for this battle.

As usual, we're teleported to a new area.

Well that's an annoying law! Fortunately, everyone in this party has at least one ranged attacked. Except for Vaan, but who cares about him anyway.

: Whisked away to yet another place. The hidden land over which the guardians watch, no doubt.

: I'm guessing these are the real guardians.

: Let's deal with these monsters, then worry about where we are.

Penelo's never really had a chance to shine. Dancer isn't a bad job, since it can Slow with good range for 0 MP.

Well, theoretically it's pretty good.

Vaan isn't completely useless either. The Werewolf will waste a turn to Roar away Vaan's self buffs.

On the other hand, everyone else is dropping Aurablasts and Double Shots and actually making a difference on the battlefield.

You tried, Penelo. You tried.

Did I mention Frimelda is training as a Fighter right now? She's mastered Paladin already, and I really like having Pugilism as a backup skill set.

This battle is actually pretty fun. The small battlefield forces enemies close together, making it really easy to nail multiple targets with AoE abilities.

And with that, the last enemy falls.

---

"...into its secrets. But... I would see his research completed. Taura, Favored pupil."

Back at the tavern, we find a new quest waiting for us. It seems poor Mauri succumbed to his illness before completing his life's work.

: Mauri warned me against delving too deep into the Stone's secrets, but I cannot let his research die with him. You must help me uncover the truth behind his work.

: Something tells me he warned you for a reason... but I'm kinda curious myself. All right, I'll do my best!

Oh look, more stones and guardians.

It should probably be the "Stones with No Name".

Our enemies are three Baknamy. Each one knows a Green Magick spell: Blind, Sleep and Tranq.

Honestly, I'd be really freaked out if one of them yelled, "Come here! Welcome to our humble abode!"

We squabble for a bit.

And even kill one of them!

But we're really here for the Stones.

Where did that come from?! The other Baknamy does the same to Samuel next turn, too. And it heals the attackers for the damage inflicted!

That's the stones touched. What next?

Teleportation, of course.

WHAT THE HELL?!

So yeah, we're trapped in front of a pile of possessed masonry.

Samuel has a way with words, doesn't he.

: We must have done something to wake it. Guess that makes it our job to finish it off!

OK, this doesn't look too bad. We can burn through 628 HP pretty quickly at this point.

These abilities sound nasty though! Stone, Sleep and Immobile guarantee that any afflicted units will be eaten by the wall.

Fortunately, we have a stock of MP from the first battle.

But that's cheap. No Ultimas here!

Samuel and Henri are still hurt from Mutilate, so Lenolia takes care of that and gets a good hit in. Except she still isn't wearing the right armor.

This battle will be boring if no one's in danger, right?

Unfortunately, this is the only attack the Demon Wall uses.

We kill it too quickly.

: "Three stones in one, the instrument that sealed off an Otherworld from our Knowledge". We should have taken Mauri's warning more seriously.

Seriously? Come on, Samuel, that was a fun battle!

---

You may remember "Seeker of Slaughter" from one of the Bonga Bugle updates, which mentioned the Owner of the Bugle used to be in a clan with the guy who runs the Clan Mates quests and the Seeker of Slaughter.

He shows up in this area every Plufrost. In fact, here's the notice about him:

The Seeker of Slaughter posted:

You know the Seeker of Slaughter? He's a trader in... things. Thing is, nobody knows what those "things" are.

What's more, you don't have to trade him anything for 'em. Just information. Information about battles fought, battles won, battles lost...

He shows up in some ruins somewhere, every year around Plumfrost.

Not very specific, I know...but hey, you get what you pay for.

-Domis Streetears

Well, you can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter," so I can only assume the guy trades jokes.

: Hands above your head. If you move in any way, the deal is forfeit. Got it?

Samuel nods in agreement, because he's sane.

: ...Ah.

The Seeker then walks around Samuel, muttering random interjections to himself.

He finally backs away.

: Lower your hands.

One away from a nice, round number.

I'm fairly certain this is Samuel's kill count, not the clan-wide kill count. 255 is actually the maximum value. Tonberries' Karma attack, which deals more damage based on how many enemies the target has killed, uses the same counter.

: Hrah! Didn't think your kind was around anymore. You done good. Real good.

: Ah, yeah, you qualify for a bit of a bonus.

: Thanks. Now I'll have some memories to take with me when I go. This world ain't big enough for two masters!

With that, he just... disappears.

He comes back every year, apparently, so... where does he go?

I thought the reward from this quest was a bit paltry. But there's two upsides!
Dark Matter sells pretty well, at a few thousand each. Not that we need money for anything.
Dark Matter hits every enemy on the battlefield for some amount of damage. I thought it was a joke item, since the damage is really low. Turns out, using Knots of Rust increases the damage Dark Matter does! They can easily do 500+ damage to every enemy if you power them up.

Apparently they did the same thing in FFXII, but hey, I never played that game, how was I supposed to know?

---

Thanks for reading! Even though it's "filler" in a way, I really did like this update. Mostly because we saw some really unique monsters -- the spritework for the Demon Wall is awesome!

I've been spending some time off-screen doing a little grinding. Samuel's Blue Magick list is really coming along now, he has a lot of useful abilities.

We're also done with auctions. Clan Sawyer owns every weapon and armor piece that can be obtained from the auction house. We might still be missing a few of the accessories, but those aren't as important.
Not that we should stop visiting the auctions at all, of course. They're the most reliable way to find Ribbons, for example.

We've also passed 48 hours of playtime on this save! Based on my other playthroughs, we have something like another 20 hours left, minimum.

And finally: a trigger warning for FFTA2 veterans.

(No, we are not going to investigate this notice for a long, long time.)

'cause after all, you're my demon wall

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Even Penelo would probably smirk at that mediocre Demon Wall. And never thought I'd see Baknamy of all creatures being what passes for chatty.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Honestly, the first take of The Tower isn’t too bad, and you could probably trivialize it with your endgame team. (Normally it unlocks when you’re like level 11, you’re on par with the monsters there statistically, now)

It’s the second and third ascents that get the rage and salt flowing. GLOW CURTAIN :argh:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've beaten this game, sidequests and all, and I had absolutely no idea about the Seeker of Slaughter. I've learned something new about this game.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Oh man, I forgot about those two giant monsters in this game, not gonna lie. And that music track is phenomenal too. FFTA2 has a lot more to it than I remember :allears:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Honestly, the first take of The Tower isn’t too bad, and you could probably trivialize it with your endgame team. (Normally it unlocks when you’re like level 11, you’re on par with the monsters there statistically, now)

It’s the second and third ascents that get the rage and salt flowing. GLOW CURTAIN :argh:

Well then maybe we'll do the first one soon then.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've beaten this game, sidequests and all, and I had absolutely no idea about the Seeker of Slaughter. I've learned something new about this game.

It's actually a lucky coincidence that we saw him, I didn't realize he only showed up during Plumfrost.

BlackPersona posted:

Oh man, I forgot about those two giant monsters in this game, not gonna lie. And that music track is phenomenal too. FFTA2 has a lot more to it than I remember :allears:

It was also a complete accident that we saw both giant monsters in this update! I forgot they existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The reason you give your defense weapons a charm ability is so it can turn the attacking force against themselves.

Because it's a good idea to have multiple answers to 'being outnumbered by attacking forces.'