Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

It's time to t-t-t-t-t-Tor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Rivalry in the mountains

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
always Brightmoon Tor

never anything else

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

You have two absolutely tedious slogs and an actual well-written, compelling sideplot!

Why do you think we would choose the one that is well-written? I suffered the Tor, so must you.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I would vote Duelhorns

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
: Now, I'm going to ask again. Recite this ancient Magik by memory to summon forth the Old Ones or I'm going to have to use these spiked boots on your face. Again.

Talf would totally be a tough but fair teacher in the ancient magikal artes. :colbert:

Anyways Tor 2: Electric Boogaloo is my choice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Kemix posted:

: Now, I'm going to ask again. Recite this ancient Magik by memory to summon forth the Old Ones or I'm going to have to use these spiked boots on your face. Again.

Talf would totally be a tough but fair teacher in the ancient magikal artes. :colbert:

Anyways Tor 2: Electric Boogaloo is my choice.

I was hoping someone would get a kick out of that. :D

Also you bastard, you're the tie breaker vote that's forcing me into Brightmoon Tor: Second Watch. Poor Leraika is never going to remember what they voted for. Update in a few days, assuming I maintain my will to live.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Someday my amnesia will be cured ;_;

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Friends, I have the great delight to tell you our clan is absolutely terrifying. That is all.

I should probably do that last job roundup, I probably won't get the update done by this weekend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 62: Brightmoon Tor: Second Watch

---

Welcome back! It is once more time to climb Brightmoon Tor. How much worse can it be the second time?

There's something of a theme in this game: locations that have multiple entrances and exits. We're heading to a different continent, but it's the same tower.

Somewhere, beyond the sea, in Aisenfield, we find the second tower. Unlike the first tower, it's just in the middle of the area instead of in a hidden location.

I'm not scared! Let's do this!

Things start much the same as last time: mysterious nu mou, enemies sharing the same dark palette, and so on.

: Ah, you've returned. Welcome to the second ascent of Brightmoon Tor. There are but two ways to leave the tower: reach its top, or die in the attempt. The moonstones will guide you. Touch them and your way shall open. Now if you'll excuse me...

Shwoop! He's gone.

Are you ready for another 5 rounds of the worst battles possible?

Same as last time: reach the top, don't use scions. Easy enough, though some Scions would be quite useful here. This appears before every battle but I won't bother showing it.

The enemies are stronger, of course. We'll be seeing level 60 ones soon. We're also seeing a new Turning ability, Gold Hourglass. It's just as annoying as it sounds.

Here's our team. From left to right:

Zoe is running Ravager/Geomancer for this fight. Her main purpose is heavy physical hits with Sneak Attack, with Geomancy for range just in case. Definitely bring a unit that can fly!

Henri is stealing Cid's high-evasion Master Monk build. 60 Evasion is massive, and his attack power is only 20 points below Zoe's. He'll be joining her on the front lines, with the White Monk's Discipline abilities as backup.

Lenolia, as always, is our major magick attacker-slash-healbot. Evade Magick is possibly the most useful R-Ability for the tower, because it no-sells Gold Hourglass.

Leed is also doing his usual Magick Frenzy shenanigans. Not much to say here, honestly. Double Zanmato might actually be higher overall damage, because so many enemies are weak to Holy here.

Penelo brings Dancer/Green Mage, which basically means utility abilities. This was a slight misstep on my part, and we would have been better off with White Mage. But it pays off in the end.

Lian hasn't changed much in the last, oh, twenty or so updates. Still Trickster/Bishop, still turning things to stone.

I made two small mistakes. First, I have limited condition cleansing; Esuna doesn't do anything against Slow, for example. This is why Penelo would have been better as a White Mage, because we could have really used Refresh.
Second, I didn't do much to defend against Golden Hourglass. More defenses against Slow, or any sources of Haste, would have been very useful.

Still, we'll be fine!

To help with our survivability, we'll be taking Regenga pretty much always.

Let's begin!

And by that I mean let's watch the enemies take some turns. Yes, we're already slower than the opponent -- or the AI is cheating and giving them free turns.

The level difference is the biggest threat in this tower. We'll be taking a lot more damage, and the speed difference means fewer turns overall. I'm not too worried about our damage output though.

As always, condition prevention is key! Fortunately, the Orb of Minwu blocks Stone, so your male units should all be safe. The women, of course, are wearing Ribbons.

Fortunately, only the two Blackwinds and the Jormungand were able to attack us before we got a turn.

I really want to get rid of these birds, they're very annoying but not too strong.

The Blackwind has a P-Ability called Vigilance, which makes it take normal damage no matter which direction it's attacked from. Vaan can also get it as a Piracy P-Ability, I believe. It makes Sneak Attack ineffective.

Now that's some bad luck. I'm usually happy with an 80% hit rate.

Here's Evade Magick in action! Penelo will dodge any offensive spell, so Lenolia can safely cast around her. Lenolia also has this R-Ability, but since Maduin heals her, she doesn't dodge it.

She gets the first kill of this battle.

Poor Lian, backed into a corner and Addled. That condition prevents the unit from using abilities, but not from attacking. It's a worse version of Disable.

There's two of these Varigarmanda here. This one is weak to Fire and absorbs Ice, while the other is the opposite. It's tricky if you aren't paying attention. Thanks to that crit, Leed gets the kill.

In this corner we have the three remaining enemies, Lenolia, Penelo and Henri. Penelo is safe with Evade Magick, but can Henri dodge both spells?

He can indeed. That kills the second Blackwind and weakens the Varigarmanda and Jormungand.

Lian is addled, not useless. He gets the fourth kill.

The Jormungand does not have Vigilance and suffers the full damage of Sneak Attack. It's very satisfying to see numbers like that.

With all the monsters dead, a second moonstone appears! Obviously, you must take this one if you want the treasure.

We spend a few turns healing, Lian recovers from Addle, and we hop through the stone to the next floor.

We're going to be getting a good amount of experience here. You gain 50 EXP for every turn on which you kill a monster. (Not +50 EXP per monster.) You're better off spreading out kills if you want more XP.

---

Second floor! As usual, I have no time to inspect the enemies.

But I have a good feeling, so we're taking MP Channeling.

Boy I can't wait to take a turn! In like 10 minutes!

We finally get to see the new Turning ability. It's actually quite pretty.

Penelo and Lenolia dodge it, because it counts as magick. But everyone else gets hit and Lian is slowed.

With our already lower speed, Slow is debilitating. To compensate, we're going to move as little as possible. Not moving helps our turns come a bit faster, and the enemies will come to us anyway.

Lenolia dodges the magick component of Magick Frenzy, and Leed is holding a Holy-damage katana. Is it enough to heal the damage from the first attack?

Eh, good enough. I'll try not to do it too often, but it was worth it for the damage.

Oddly, both Varigarmanda are weak to Fire here. I'm not sure if it's an oversight or what, but we don't see another Ice-weak one for the rest of the tower.

Jitterbug steals HP, making it almost useful but not match for a proper Cura.

You know, with the XP formula in mind, Lenolia really doesn't need these kills. But I can never resist a double KO.

That just leaves the Jormungand and a Blackwind. See Dragonheart? That's a neat R-Ability that Dragoons can get.

Once per battle, it'll grant the unit Reraise after they're hit with an attack.

Obviously that's really annoying when the unit is a brick house like this guy.

But that's what Dispel is for! Just strip those annoying buffs away.

Down the stairs, Leed gets a nice kill on the Blackwind.

Up top, Henri finishes off the Jormungand.

That's it for this floor. Staying grouped up really helped: Lenolia was able to easy keep everyone healed as the enemies rushed up to attack us.

There's no tricks on this floor, just take the regular moonstone.

---

Alright, level 3! There's a couple Evil Eyes and a Baknamy here instead of any Varigarmanda.

Back on Regenga, because I like not having to worry about healing.

Oh, great, there's a Nemeshis here too. So much for all the MP we had stored up, Veil of Darkness rips it all away.

The Evil Eyes aren't particularly scary on their own.

So to compensate, we get this. Yes, we're dealing with the bullshit that made the last battle of the first tower so fun. And we're only on the third floor.

On top of that, Evil Eyes have Binding Circle, which inflicts Slow and Speed Down, which is barely a step above inflicting Stop.

And if that's not enough for you, the Opion (he's here too!) has Otherworldly Wind, which hits everyone for high damage.

And just to top it all off... Love Song. Hi, Brightmoon Tor, I was wondering when you'd show up!

We aren't defenseless, of course. Maybe moderately threatened. I think this ended up being the worst floor, until the watch itself.

I'm really not sure how much defense this grants us, but it can't hurt, right? I forgot that Penelo doesn't have much in the way offenses as a Dancer/Green Mage.

An experiment: What happens if you kill an enemy, then cast Phoenix?

The enemy comes back to life at full health, but the healing animation didn't play. It should have come back at low health -- actually, you shouldn't be able to revive enemies at all.

(My guess: the Evil Eye was still "present" and could be targeted, despite being technically dead. The game doesn't fully remove corpses until the end of the turn.)

The strategy is the same as the previous floor: Stay grouped up, don't move in order to maximize turns, punish the enemy with AoE attacks. It's effective, and this group is well built for it. A fast Time Mage would enable us to be a bit more aggressive, but I don't have one of those.

It seems the enemies burned all their MP on those first few turns. We haven't been hit by Veil of Darkness since.

Oof, should have killed this guy when I had the chance. Leed is barely going to get any turns after this.

This screenshot is a bit hard to parse. There's 3 enemies right in front of us: an Evil Eye, the Nemeshis behind that, and the Blackwind to the right.

Lenolia kills the Evil Eye and Nemeshis.

That leaves just these three.

Of them, I'm least worried about the Blackwind, who is about to keel over anyway.

The Opion is a big, thick target, but Zoe can handle it.

I should probably be letting Penelo and the other units get more KOs, since they could use the XP.

Leed spends his last turn killing the Evil Eye that stole his speed.

That just leaves the Opion.

He really doesn't want to die.

But Henri doesn't give him a choice. Third floor cleared!

A new moonstone appears over here. You may have noticed that this quadrant is not connected to the others. You absolutely must have a unit that can fly or teleport, or you won't get the treasure!

I think the first time I did this, in my first playthrough, I had a Flintlock with Teleport Cannon.

Most of your units can just take the regular moonstone, as long as the last unit to leave takes the hidden one!

I should probably stop feeding Lenolia kills.

---

Time for... floor 23 again?

No, seriously, look, we were just here!

Looks like a different enemies and slightly different layout this time.

Sure hope you aren't tired of Opion and Nemeshis.

This time, we're assaulted by Evil Eyes right from the start. But the enemy positions should give us time to deal with these two before the rest can reach us.

Not that they need to necessarily reach us to cause trouble, of course.

A few minutes later, Leed finally gets a chance to attack one of the Eyes.

Lian also gets a turn, which he spends removing some of those really annoying buffs.

Yeah, yeah, keep it up. We'll just heal it off.

Haste wears off after 3 turns. We've been locked out of turns for so long that buffs are wearing out!

But it's finally our go.

This is perfect! Penelo's in the best possible position to use this Opportunity Command, granting Haste to Lenolia, Leed and herself.

This is a huge bonus, we'll definitely win this!

One down! I'd like to get the Blackwind taken care of too. Light Curtain is way too strong.

Leed manages to overwhelm it with Magick Frenzy.

Lian isn't going to abide those buffs. Dispell is a godsend here, but I would love an ability that did more damage for each buff on the target.

There goes Leed, getting slowed down again. That's it for Magick Frenzy on this floor, then.

But wait!!

Another Opportunity Command lets Penelo grant Haste to Leed, which overrides the Slow condition. He's still suffering from Speed Down, but Haste almost makes up for that.

I don't want Lenolia to kill everything, but we definitely need to soften up these guys.

And then Penelo, bless her, lands a beautiful triple sleep.

Another Opportunity Command?! Three in one battle! Henri and Zoe partake in the gift of Haste.

Zoe and Leed finish off the Evil Eye, leaving just our three sleeping beauties.

Better make that two sleeping beauties.

I'm not sure if Petrification would count as a KO for this tower -- despite it counting everywhere else in the game -- so let's spend some turns killing the helpless Opion.

Zoe works on the sleeping Nemeshis. Who obviously isn't sleeping anymore. But it's almost dead, so no worries.

Oh right, this treasure chest. Here's the Snowy Tear, the treasure of the Second Watch. It grants +20 Magick Power, and I hope it is not bugged.

Penelo dances her way to victory. One left!

Nice. (He got the kill.)

Zoe kills this guy just in case.

Only one moonstone on this floor. Which makes sense, since we already have the treasure.

---

Floor 4 starts with more bravado from the Keeper. Well, presumably that's him. You could fit a lot of spooky, disembodied voices in a tower like this.

This is the last normal floor -- we're almost done!

I could probably have taken MP Channeling, since I'm not letting Lenolia kill as often.

Here There Be Dragons, indeed. Two Varigarmanda to the left, two Tiamat on the right, a Jormungand and an Opion in the middle. Over 4,000 total HP, I think.

We've also hit the point where there's just not much to say. Gold Hourglass, Veil of Darkness, and so on and on and on...

The Tiamat are new additions to the tower, at least, though we've definitely fought them before. They're weak to Holy.

Do you see the easiest way for us to defend against this?

First, get an Opportunity Command and use it in this corner. Haste is always great.

Then grab Lenolia and stick her in this corner. Now she can heal everyone on the team with a single spell. The facings are a bit of a mess though.

But facings don't matter when you're getting hit by battlefield-wide AoE attacks.

The two Varigarmanda are both weak to fire, plus Leed has a Holy blade for the Tiamat.

The Tiamat, however, has Magick Counter. This is kind of a good thing: Magick Counter still consumes MP, so Tiamat won't be casting too many spells.

On the other hand, it seriously weakens Leed. Soul Spring is one of the special Brightmoon abilities, it steals HP.

Penelo lands a useful Sleep on the weakened Varigarmanda, and Lian gets really lucky with Break. That was a 40% chance to hit!

Zoe's been sitting here spamming Shining Flares all battle. I think she's done most of the damage against the Varigarmanda, thanks to Henri's Haste.

That's the second Tiamat down. They're pretty hardy monsters, with lots of health and resistance to Fire, Ice and Lightning.

A few turns later, Henri finishes off the Varigarmanda.

Well, I'm glad I don't have to heal that, I guess, but it's still rude.

Zoe undoes it quickly.

Penelo gets what is technically another triple Sleep! Except the Tiamat is stoned, so it doesn't really count.

That's both Varigarmanda down.

And Lian finishes off the match by petrifying the sleeping enemies.

On our way out, I remember that I could really use that XP.

Lian, Zoe and Penelo are a little lower level than I'd like, and this will help.

Penelo actually got 2 kills, netting her a whole free level.

---

Finally -- finally! -- we've reached the Second Watch. It looks like a doozy.

I think this battle will show you how utterly broken our clan is.

I don't think we've seen any Orthros before, but its abilities are all things we've seen before.

The four Evil Eyes also aren't very different.

Well, maybe the other ones weren't quite so happy to spam Otherworldly Wind.

As usual, we don't get a chance at a turn for a while. It's not as ludicrous as the first watch, thankfully.

However, the first watch didn't manage to kill half the team. The only reason we aren't all dead is Penelo and Lenolia have Evade Magick.

So what do we do with half the team dead? The only thing Penelo can really do is shore up our defenses.

It's not quite enough to save Henri. His high Evasion just wasn't enough. So again, what can we do?

Double Cast Phoenix, of course.

Just like that, it's like none of those turns happened. Everyone is back at full health -- and even better, dying removed the Slow condition caused by Gold Hourglass.

You may be wondering: but what if Lenolia had died? That's why she's wearing an Angel Ring!

That doesn't mean we're out of danger yet. We're still facing 5 level 99 enemies -- we need a plan.

Especially since they're going to keep up the attacks that killed everyone in the first place.

That's Lenolia's job: keeping everyone topped up. Regenga will help with that, too. It also means I have to be a little careful with positioning so no one is left without healing.

The level difference means our damage is way, way down. Even Sneak Attack can't overcome it.

In situations like these, you need to focus on one target at a time. Finding ways to shut down other enemies isn't a bad idea.

For example, Berserk prevents the target from using spells. While the Orthros' melee attacks are plenty dangerous, they can only hit one target, unlike Gold Hourglass.

It also means the Orthros will dive right into our party, so we should try to get this Evil Eye out of the way.

Lenolia's mostly caught up on healing, and we could use some extra damage. I mostly want to avoid her getting any kills, anyway.

Zoe finally gets our first kill. Which leaves us with 4 level 99 enemies to deal with.

Two of the Evil Eyes have Magick Counter, the other pair has Counter. So I guess I was thinking the Counter ones focus on physical attacks, so Immobilize will keep it from hurting us?

But that's really not helpful when it doesn't care about range. Even worse, it'll get more turns because it won't waste energy by moving.

So much for Berserk. Still, it bought us a turn.

Now that Orthros has joined us on the stairs, we can focus it down. Annoyingly, it also has Evade Magick.

You know, it would be nice if those spells were on our side for once.

Huh. It worked.

That's more damage than Lian could have done in a turn, so I'd say this has paid off.

Henri gets yet another Opportunity Command, but all he can do with it is attack Orthros.

Leed attacks the Orthros again, leaving it just barely alive. Zoe cleans it up.

We've killed the boss, now time to clean up the rest. I think these Evil Eyes are more of a threat than the Orthros was.

Who would've thought Sleep could be so useful!

I wish we did more damage, I am so ready for this to be done.

Yeah, that's more like it. (Zoe actually received an Opportunity Command this turn, but I chose not to use it.)

Lian finishes off the Evil Eye.

The Eyes have one more trick: Bewitching Gaze. As you might guess, it Charms the target. Most of the clan is immune, one way or another.

Zoe is seriously my favorite unit, except for all the other clan members who are also my favorites.

Leed kills the weakened Eye. He didn't need the XP, but oh well.

And Lian finally finishes it all with a bang. Or a cloud of petrifying smoke. Whatever.

I've been waiting for this screen. Completing the Second Watch took nearly 2 hours.

Oh, it looks like only Zoe gets XP because she killed the boss monster.

That's it. We're finally free of Brightmoon Tor, Second Watch.

The Snowy Tear we looted on our way up is the magickal counterpart to the Crimson Tear. It boosts Magick by a solid +20 points. I hope it isn't bugged like the Crimson Tear is.

---

Thank you, readers, for coming with me through that slog of a dungeon. We still have one more watch to go! But that's for the future. The far, far future.

Hey look, we have 5 statues! We've completed over 250 quests now -- 258, to be exact.

There are so few things left to do, I'm not sure it's even worth voting for. Actually, let's skip the vote today -- I'll do an update or two of filler, and we can pick up the quest lines later.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well! I had a couple of extremely lovely weeks, so this update took way longer than it should have. Sorry for the delay. Updates are going to be a little slower than usual in the next few weeks, thanks to some planned and unplanned travel.

But that's OK, we've come this far, we don't need to rush to the end.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Solumin posted:

Well! I had a couple of extremely lovely weeks, so this update took way longer than it should have. Sorry for the delay. Updates are going to be a little slower than usual in the next few weeks, thanks to some planned and unplanned travel.

But that's OK, we've come this far, we don't need to rush to the end.

You've been remarkably consistent, Solumin. Don't sweat it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry to hear things haven't been going as well as they could be. Bless you for keeping this up even still.

fake edit: even through brightmoon tor, which is like sticking one's brain in a garbage disposal for two hours

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Leraika posted:

Sorry to hear things haven't been going as well as they could be. Bless you for keeping this up even still.

fake edit: even through brightmoon tor, which is like sticking one's brain in a garbage disposal for two hours

:emptyquote:

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah you deserve the updates of just downtime filler, honestly, the Brightmoon Tors still look just as horrible as I remember them being. Needing to counter the enemy with an AoE Raise is a bit much...

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Update 63: Playful Raid

In This Update:
- We investigate a playground!
- We play around in lava!
- We do some major pest control!

---

Welcome back! Today is a nice, relaxing update, just taking care of some regular old side quests. No magic towers or ancient demons or whatever.

I originally recorded this quest back in, um... July? Seven or so months ago? Around update 40? Oops.

I just really wanted the loot, OK?

This is a really early mission, so it's quite straightforward, just defeat everyone. And don't damage the crops with ice, I guess?

As you can see, we're bringing a full party to this. Everyone is around level 43 or so.

Our opponents today are the Zedlei Consortium, a group of "farmers" with whom we've tangled before. This is supposed to be the first time you meet them, I think.

: The water here is very dirty, foul... is perfect!

: Hrah! This place doesn't belong to you! Find your own playground to befoul!

: Who are--wait, wait.... We are Zedlei Consortium! The water here, it is perfect for our crops, yes. A farming consortium, we. Oh, they will grow so well! So very, very strong!

The Russian accent is kind of weird, honestly.

: What? What!? You look at me as though you suspect me of--

: Feh! If you do not like us, we are happy to fight you!

: They're less farmers than breeders, if you ask me. Time to take the playground back for the children! Hrah!

Also, why is the water at the playground "foul"?

These enemies are weak, but we can't quite one-shot them.

Or maybe we can.

Oh, there are going to be many, many traps here today. Bring Libra or someone who can detect traps.

Or be like me and avoid them all by luck skill alone.

This place is going to be more trap than map by the end of the battle.

As for the enemy's real attacks, well...

It's nothing to write home about.

My fault for not doing this earlier, I suppose.

But that's just how it goes.

They lay some more traps, try to punch Tsing in the face, but it's nothing worth showing.

Tsing breaks out of his potion-induced bloodlust to look for traps.

Frankly, these men are a threat to society.

Well said, Tsing.

I hope the families can hire someone to clear out all the traps, and maybe do something about the water.

Anyway, I did all that for this. "Our Playground" rewards 9 Wind Stones, which is fantastic when you're starting out.

---

Let's jump forward to the present. We've just left Brightmoon Tor, Second Watch, and are wandering around Ordallia.

Signed: Widow Maleen
Since I'm too lazy to fly across the ocean, we'll take care of quests in Ordallia. Like this little tragedy, for example.

So here we are in the Tramdine Fens, looking for a dead body, and there aren't any zombies or ghosts!.

As you can see, this is one of those "investigate the shiny spots" quests.

Whole squad this time, no need to show off with just one unit.

: Searching for a ring in this swamp isn't going to be easy. Hope some monster hasn't carried it off... or eaten it.

: Guess there's nothing to do but search one clump of swampgrass at a time...

Now, as you know, the MacGuffin is always in the least convenient spot.

There's three spots in the back, so I expect it to be one of those.

On the way back there, might as well clear up these monsters.

Thanks her Ninja Tabi and Move +2 privilege, Jalia can run across the battlefield.

Alright, it's got to be one of the other two back here.

Yeah, yeah, get out of your swamp, whatever.

Sorry little guy. This is a good place for Chocobo Knights, since you can catch Yellow, Brown or Green Chocobos all in one place.

Nothing in either of these spots, so it must be the last one on the right.

There's stuff going on over here.

It's not very important.

Just, you know, slaughter.

Now I'm confused. We checked all the most inconvenient spots, just like always...

Are you kidding me?

OK, I really don't know: is it always in the first spot here, or is it in the last spot you check?! We'll never know.

: Hrah! Found it! Which means this must be where her husband breathed his last. We'll deliver the ring to your wife... your home. Rest in peace.

Rest in peace.

---

There's a few more jobs down by Goug, so let's do this delivery in the Neslowe Passage on our way.

Pep, verve and vitality!

You know, I was picturing an office worker looking for coffee.

: I'm a little put off by the smell... Are you sure this is safe?

Yes, completely safe.

: You wanted a pick-me-up. I think this should do it.

: I'll put up with the smell, so long as it works.

: Here you go. To your health!

: Thanks. Bottoms up, eh?

He drinks it.

: I don't know which is worse, the taste or the smell. But I have to admit, I feel more energetic already. Yes, this should keep me going a little longer. Thank you!

"Monster Energy" means something completely different in Ivalice. And it's Faerie Shoes that give you wings, they don't come in a can.

---

Looks like we reached Goug just in time! I'd hate to think what would happen if this quest had been ignored for years.

This mission is... not great.

It's another one of those where enemies respawn continuously and all you can do is wait them out.

Even better, there's barely any room to move.

: Where did all these bombs come from?

The bomb factory, obviously.

: We have to stop them here. We can't let them spread beyond the lava fields!

My plan is pretty simple: Stand here and murder them.

They aren't incredibly strong, though they will try to heal each other and can explode.

Ranged attacks are obvious choices given the limited space, so maybe bring an Illusionist or something.

The first round ends quickly enough. Too bad the second and third will take a while.

Alright, maybe we don't have much to worry about. Let's just... focus on getting through this, I guess?

Even their self-destruct attack isn't too strong.

: Good crop of bomb peppers this year, eh?

Oh hey, that's the second round finished. That wasn't so bad.

It's really hard to capture an archer attacking and the KO text in the same screen. This was Tsing's kill.

Do you think people do eat monsters? Like, a bomb pepper pizza or something?

Which reminds me: reinforcements spawn in the very next turn, once you kill a couple of the original enemies. So you never really have time to rest.

Tsing used Ultima, because why not? It only got this one bomb though.

You could always use Sleep, Stone and Stop to trivialize this fight, I guess.

I bet bomb peppers are really spicy, too.

Oh look, we're done!

: That should do it. The mage brigade should be ready soon. I think we've overstayed our welcome. Let's leave while we still can!

---

One more mission in Goug, then let's wander elsewhere.

Not Assistant Chief, but Assistant to the Chief.

Back to the Neslowe Passage, which means more lava!

This game has probably the least bad version of Mimics. You rarely see them in their natural environment (chests) because most treasure is earned from quests. They have low HP, lots of elemental weaknesses, and aren't strong.

On the other hand (heh), this is another hurry-up-and-wait mission.

Regenga ensures we'll always be on the right side of the law.

: All these mimics in one place... Bah. I don't care for it. And this happens every summer? Ach. Suppose there's little to be done but deal with them.

At least we have more space to run around in this time, right?

There's not much to say here. Just... murder.

Oh look, a treasure chest!

The Mimics can't really do much to stop us. Scissors is their offensive ability -- it's identical to the Thunder spell.

They will also use melee attacks, of course.

Finally, they have Stone, which is a minor self-heal.

It's better if they never get the chance to use it.

First round done! That one's always weirdly short, maybe a third as long as the other rounds.

That's another round done, with an ominous message to boot.

Oops, I forgot to give Frimelda any weapons. Eh, she's doing fine.

Turns out I can't get that treasure chest. It's just a bit too far away! Maybe we can come back here with Zoe.

Oh hey look, Scion Time.

That kills all six mimics. Awesome!

They immediately reappear at the start of the next turn though, just like the bombs did.

The one on the center island keeps respawning in the same spot, so everyone keeps killing the same one.

I would say these were critical, but not important.

Sadly, Hellfire is less successful than Ultima was.

The center island is just covered in gloves now.

Round three! I guess the anti-mimic weapon is starting to warm up?

Is the anti-mimic weapon actually just trapping them here until the volcano erupts?!

Well we're stuck here for another round, so, uh, be careful I guess?

I wasn't kidding about the center island.

Finally!

: Let's make ourselves scarce before we get caught in the middle of an extermination.

I think Cid came to the same conclusion I did.

---

We're slowly catching the rest of the clan up in level! Lenolia and Leed are Level 55, thanks to Brightmoon Tor. The missions themselves don't give much, but the bonus XP makes up for it.

Well, thanks for reading! Next update is going to take a look at the monster battles, since we haven't done those yet. (Also we need the XP.) See you soon!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

lovely stuff in life WHILE doing the Tors? You're proving stronger than I was.

They really should replace the Nu Mou at the start with a Tonberry just spewing hate at you. Because ugh.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Yo how close are we to a new page? I don't want 3-4 updates on one page.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It looks like we are not that close. :negative:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well then, let me help get us closer then. It's the least I can do when you suffered through two Tors for us.

savixeon
Oct 22, 2016
Are we on a new page yet?

Edit: Nope

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
In the meantime I'll finish my final pass of the next update so it can go on the new page!

(It will be a short, informative one and hopefully the next next update will be only a few days away.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You can always copy previous updates to the test poster and replace them with links.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That'll be something to look forward to then!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ultrafilter posted:

You can always copy previous updates to the test poster and replace them with links.

Might not be the worst idea if the thread stays pretty slow, for sure. It'll keep images from clogging up the serverpipe if you're running on Firefox.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Come on guys, one last push! Let's get this to the next page!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

We can do it!

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010
I'm helping!

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

That's a good point! Or do the new updates as test posts too.

Uploading images now...

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Is it working?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LiefKatano posted:

Is it working?

Not yet, we need just a little more! Fill that AP gauge and let's learn the skill "New Page"!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I guess a new page is worth a minute amount of :effort:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can't F5 much longer. Is it a new page yet? Come on new page, or he'll force us to play through the Brightmoon Tor!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Well, a new update is worth working for.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Randalor posted:

I can't F5 much longer. Is it a new page yet? Come on new page, or he'll force us to play through the Brightmoon Tor!

Hey, y'all are going to force ME to play through Brightmoon Tor!

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

One of these days, I'll need to finish Brightmoon Tor myself.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I tried out a randomizer for FFTA1 and I've had interesting results.

Also breaking laws. Not in terms of violations they just literally didn't work.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

AweStriker posted:

I tried out a randomizer for FFTA1 and I've had interesting results.

Also breaking laws. Not in terms of violations they just literally didn't work.

The best possible timeline.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

The best possible timeline.

I wanted to keep them, though; if I wanted to just turn them off I'd have declared that option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Mewt's Ivalice would have been better off if he realized what the point of laws was. But he's a grade-schooler, so we can cut him some slack there.