Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Samuel Clemens, leader of Clan Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Green Mages are great and the best. Even if their skillset wasn't incredible, they get good magic and great speed. Bet we see a lot of 'em. :allears:

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Solumin posted:

I've honestly rarely used them! I'm going to try to balance the clan between raw damage and conditions for this run through, so as long as we have maces, you'll see green magick.
Green Mage stats are alright. Elementalist and Summoner have way better magick growths, but only Assassin has better speed gains.

Tranq alone makes Green Mages impossibly good. Sleep and whatever else is nice, but basically every Vierra in A2 I've run has Green Magic for Tranq.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Solumin posted:

Breaking the law at the Clan Trial reset our law bonus streak, I think, so we only get one reward.

That is correct.

Also, glad to see you're spending loot wisely. I certainly didn't my first time through, but repeated playthroughs saw me constantly checking FAQs to make sure I was getting the best deals and not just spending rare loot on crap I didn't need. It was a bit of a pain to do it with a game that's supposed to be mobile, though!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Is it possible to screw yourself out of equipment by using the wrong items, similar to the Black Thread discussion before?

No, you cannot, with a however. 99.99% of the loot is infinite in supply, it can just be a pain to get the right thing to drop, or for it to finally come up in a quest. If you use your last Chocobo rear end to make a weapon for a class you'll never use, it could be hours before you see another Chocobo rear end, and maybe that rear end could unlock something absurd in a class you actually use. There is one unique piece of loot, but we'll get to that.

Fake edit: Beaten!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

A bit late, but I've run Samuel as Hunter/Blue Mage, with Half MP, since my second playthrough. An amazing jack of all trades.

Also, half my playthroughs have been on hard, because I wanted to feel like I had justification for running Assassin/Green Mage. Tranq me kill me loot me baby

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Seeq x2, why would you ever not, they're great. I mean, it's mostly that Rangers get great speed and that one thing, but Viking can steal armor, so I have a special place in my heart for them, even if auctions means we don't really need to ever do it.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Oh hey, you talked about Tinkers in the same update as Flowsand Lord, what a great segue!

If you're stupid enough to try running hard mode (like me), Flowsand Lord is EVEN MORE of a bastard. One of the best strategies I've found, especially with the limited classes and skills available so early on, is to abuse Red Spring. Full party Haste is good enough that even one lucky turn could totally turn the entire fight around, and an unlucky turn is just a quick restart.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

ShadowBlaze94 posted:

I'm also wondering which of the unique units generally get used during standard playthroughs, especially with the introduction of Hurdy, since right now my main team is Luso Samuel, Adelle and 4 generics (I've pretty much not touched Cid since he joined)

I apologize for spoilers, but at least in my opinion the only unique unit worth bothering with beyond "I can't get rid of them anyway" is Vaan. His ability to turn traps into high-level loot (note that this works on your own traps and is the only way to disarm traps without setting them off) makes him worth a spot in your team by itself, and the rest of his moveset isn't half bad. Admittedly, his heavy damage move is awful, but other than that he gets a lot of versatility and unique moves. Make him a Geomancy Paravir and rip poo poo up while doing poo poo only he can do. The others are usable, but nothing special.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

In addition to lightning magic, Vikings also get thieving techniques, including the only ability that can steal armor (including helmets and shields) in the game. Of course, with the auctions already unlocked there's not a whole lot of point to it, but it can be nice for bulking up your armor list. If you remember to check your enemies' armor, and Stop (don't Sleep) them, you can Pillage your way to ultimate equipment on even your third-string characters.

Bishop's Pillage is also unique in that it's chances don't go down on repeated uses, up to four times I believe?

dancingbears fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 5, 2017

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Alkydere posted:

you can totally use with (...) Blue Mage spells but for obvious reasons those are less ideal

No kidding, I'm pretty certain the only Blue spell you can Magick Frenzy is Quake, the -ra level earth spell. A bit lacking, I'd say!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Note that Maquis and all his clones have Ninja Tabi, and Steal Accessory works on shoes, and that you can run away from fights and keep what you steal and then try (or steal) again. +2 Move for the whole clan!

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

CAN you steal a Ribbon? I know I've never been able to, despite my many attempts. I've always thought it had an anti-steal effect in addition to all the status protections.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

dancingbears posted:

CAN you steal a Ribbon? I know I've never been able to, despite my many attempts. I've always thought it had an anti-steal effect in addition to all the status protections.

I'll bring this back. Despite my love of Pillaging every piece of equipment I can, I've never succeeded in nabbing a Ribbon. I'm pretty sure you actually can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

I might be remembering this wrong, but isn't the Azure Tear bugged so it does nothing at all?