Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I say we be the Clan Clam (or is it the Clam Clan?). No real opinion on the protag's name, default is fine I guess, making Ramza references in FFT LPs is getting kinda old though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile I'll change my clan name vote from Clam to Clan.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

IMO you should rectify this.

My problem with trying to play FFT is that it is so. slow. I need more zip in my tactics games, and fewer animations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'll be honest, my eyes glazed over during that wolf fight. You don't need to give us that level of detail; just giving the highlights is fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The pacing on that update was a lot better. Thanks for applying more rigorous editing. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

megane posted:

• A pair of giant shorts with huge folded hems,

I initially read these as being the tops of his boots, which the pants just kind of tuck into.. But that would mean he's wearing two pairs of boots.

...I stand by my initial reading. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How do I read these numbers? I take it the percentage is the chance to gain a point of speed each levelup; what's the first number?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Bangaa bangaa

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Rather than make it a law system where there's actual people making bizarre arbitrary rules that you have to obey Or Else, they could have come up another line of reasoning. For example, chaotic magical effects left over from an ancient war make it actively harmful to do certain things. So sure, you can cast that ice magic, or use that ranged attack, if you really want to, but be prepared to eat a Flare in response. It's basically magical weather, hard to predict and potentially devastating if you don't pay close attention to it, but there's no human agency behind it...at least, no living human agency, just a bunch of dead magical assholes from millennia ago who dabbled in things they really ought to have left alone.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Something that occurs to me, looking at these jobs: how the hell do the moogles put on their hats? Their pop-pom antennae dealyboppers seem to come straight out of the centers of their headgear, without there being a hole big enough to fit the pom-pom itself through. Has Ivalice discovered elastic a few centuries early?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

S_o_S93 posted:

the definition of denial

It could be a suppressed memory.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Solumin posted:

Obviously, another Fusilier is the best unit for the job.

Why does the consortium outsource this? It doesn't really make sense. Don't they want to keep their new products under wraps? Did Clan Sawyer have to sign an NDA?

I dunno, I'd definitely want to outsource testing my new weapon on someone. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Not everything has to be easy to use. It depends on if your goal is to make a team of maximally effective shitwreckers, or to make a team of cool combos and weird special effects.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Solumin posted:

I don't think that means they're evil, per se -- at least, not evil like Illua is. They're basically a race of bandits, thugs and mercenaries. You'd never see one be a healer or caretaker.

They're basically Sam from Freefall, is my reading.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Glazius posted:

So Adelle is, what, fantasy Saitama?

She's who the protagonist would have been under normal circumstances.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ah yes, Revenant Wings. The game that punishes you for completing every sidequest by boosting the final boss' level to 99. :suicide:

Metroid Zero Mission does something vaguely similar, in that if you get 100% of the items, the final boss gets a substantial power boost. In that case though the boss needs it because you're basically invulnerable at 100% gear. How doable is the final boss if you do all the sidequests in Revenant Wings but don't otherwise grind?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Assuming the game uses remotely sensible data types for tracking CT, they'll be using at least a 16-bit integer to track it (has to be more than 8-bit to handle values > 255). Presumably it's signed, which means you'd need to get to -32769 to wrap around to positive again. If it's not signed, then you can't actually go negative, and presumably they added logic to say "if you would have less than 0 CT, you instead have 0 CT". But that wouldn't track with what KataraniSword said about characters that use Quicken several times being basically out of the fight afterwards.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It's also possible that they used a 32-bit integer, in which case the limit would be a bit over 2 billion instead, in both directions.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think your emulator should probably have a "search for addresses whose value has increased since the last time I did a search" option. So you can repeat that search each time any unit takes an action, and the unit you're trying to find CT for should have higher CT each time, until it gets a turn of course. Then you'd search for addresses whose value has decreased since the last search. It usually doesn't take too many iterations of that kind of thing to narrow things down to one or two addresses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Time to become a fashion diva. And check out some of the rando chaff I guess. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Gone fishin'...and all that's biting is filler quests.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Let's start the new year nice and slow with some filler quests, so that we don't have to mar what could possibly be the last updates with quests that aren't interesting!

Sounds like a plan to me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

lobster22221 posted:

You'd think square would have learned by the third game.

Third? This has been a thing at least since FF6 and probably earlier. They don't care. In fact, letting savvy players break the game a bit can be a good thing. It's not like there's multiplayer to worry about, after all, so why shouldn't an attentive and careful player be rewarded with extra power?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Let's do some Chocobo ranching and maybe get a golden birb friend.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Let's go play Monster Hunter for a bit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't be sticking around if I weren't enjoying it. Thanks for writing the LP!

Let's hit up Craigslist.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
That'll be something to look forward to then!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MightyPretenders posted:

Mewt's Ivalice would have been better off if he realized what the point of laws was. But he's a grade-schooler, so we can cut him some slack there.

You spent so much time wondering if you could, you never stopped to ask if you should. Mewt deserves no slack. :colbert:

(Oh hey, new page!)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
LPer's choice.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Clearly that makes it all worth it.

I was pretty dang peeved in New Super Mario Bros. Wii when I didn't get one of the completion stars on my savefile, because I died enough times in a row on one level for the Super Guide to show up, even though I didn't use it. It's amazing how such a trivial little reward becomes meaningful when you don't get it. Humans are weird.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Not exactly a tactics game, but Child of Light has abilities that manipulate turn order, either by letting your characters get turns faster, slowing enemy turns, or by cancelling an enemy turn outright. The first two are expensive, and the last one you have to time, so that the skill lands in between when the enemy chooses their action and when it executes. Since you can only have two characters on the field at a time, it generally works out pretty well. Haste/slow spells are mostly only worthwhile in longer fights where you know you're going to make full use of their durations, but even then they're expensive enough that you need to be willing to spend consumables to recover MP. Or swap out the caster for another party member, but then they can't benefit from haste spells cast on themselves. The cancel-turns ability works out that your two party members can generally keep a single enemy locked down if you have good timing, but most fights are against 2 or 3 enemies, and if you get hit, your turn gets delayed slightly, just enough to throw off your timing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the LP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Honestly I feel like fighting enemy guild parties is the proper "ultimate battle". The story is basically "here's a fantasy playground, now go gently caress around with your guild, have fun!" Having some giant monster from out of nowhere be the secret ultimate fight would be out of place.

Not to mention that this genre of game doesn't generally do well with Single Huge Enemy fights, just due to the fact that you'll have way more units than the enemy does.

The fact that there's literally no denouement after the fifth fight is a letdown though, no question. At least give you a badge on your savefile.