Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It took me a few years but I eventually realized that I was extremely bad at this and the GBA game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

As other people have mentioned, the MP change blows here. Because of that, I basically never bothered with magick classes until late game where you get a skill that helps out with recharging MP for people.

Also, I mentioned being really bad at these games earlier and that's because it was only maybe a couple years ago that I realized that you can actually go to every mission instead of dispatching everyone else to do them. :downs:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

How's this for a way to make Blue Mages better? You can still equip Learn and just hit them with the spell, but also, they can naturally learn the ability if they get the killing blow on a monster with it. So, take out 5 or so Lamias with Night and you get the ability too.

Or just let Blue Mages teach other ones how to use them by hitting them with it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I agree that Gria are awesome. Not a huge fan of them getting Hunter as a class instead of something unique to them too but it is what it is. Not a fan of a few things in this game, that honestly being the least of them. Gladiators being less of a shitwrecker class than before for one and the whole magic overhaul in general. The Auction House goes a long way to help that out though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, I much preferred the law system in the first Advance game, since you could nullify anything that impacted you while making fights hell on your opponents.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Morpher was my favorite Nu Mou class in the first Advance game and I'm so sad that it's gone. That, the MP change, and only being able to get one level a battle is really sad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I never used a Morpher in my life because that class seemed like an enormous pain in the rear end to get off the ground. I know this technically isn't the thread for it, but I'm sure someone here knows: were they really that good?

The game was easy enough that you could use whatever and be fine. And honestly, with concentrate and subdue or other small damage skills, it wasn't too bad. Sure, you might need to juggle some skills around but you could still get Capture on whatever class you're using though.

Anyway, they were neat, and something that Nu Mou desperately needed considering they're all magic all the time and that can get kinda boring.

Personally, I thought getting Mythril weapons was way more obnoxious than that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Not everything has to be easy to use. It depends on if your goal is to make a team of maximally effective shitwreckers, or to make a team of cool combos and weird special effects.

Yeah, they're novel and that's kinda what influenced me using them in the first place. Getting to use monster skills whenever I want and all I have to do is catch them first? Sure why not? Especially easy with stop, sleep, immobilize and Smile Toss being in the game. I mean, when else are you gonna use a Nu Mou? Punching a lamia in the face the soul of a vampire sounds like a great way to use them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Illua is just a high-schooler stuck in her edgelord phase. :v:

Can't believe this game is just ripping off Sharkboy and lavagirl.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This mission was nearly impossible to complete, because I didn't realize for like six playthroughs that you could actually do missions. I just thought that you dispatched people to do quests.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Looking at all the jobs and variety here makes me real sad that mainline Final Fantasy outside of the MMO doesn't bring back all the other races that've been around in here now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alxprit posted:

I like the IX/TA system, it makes equipment feel more worthwhile and useful, and provides a more steady sense of progression through the game rather than just being able to give a White Mage Holy at the start of the game practically, or at least with enough work that wouldn't be tied to progress in the story or sidequests.

I think combining both would work well. It'd stop you from being stonewalled by never seeing a rare item like Hurdy's violins and you can pay points into learning something while you've got it equipped if you wanted.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Frimelda's got a neat storyline but IMO she's less useful than other uniques just like Luso and Cid, since she doesn't get any special abilities. Even if I never used them, at least Hurdy and Adelle have a unique class.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, that's what differentiates Frimelda (and Adelle, aside from her Heritor job) - they're specially coded in the game as Female Units, meaning they can wear Ribbons and other such niceties without needing to equip a passive ability.

Also, Frimelda gets my approval for actually dressing like an actual warrior as opposed to trying to fit in a Xena-esque metal bikini.

Seriously, compare her design even to Luso/Adelle/Cid's. Ignoring the Weird Boot/Collar Thing that all the character designs here have, she's dressed like an actual sane person.

True, but still, she's no Agrias.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

I have a love-hate relationship with the Blackfrost Bugle. It's got literally no combat in it so no matter what level your crew is they can go in and do it, but it takes for-goddamn-ever. I'm pretty sure you have to talk to each and every person each and every time, too, or else you auto-fail - even though a few of the in-stage units (the two Prima Donna fanboys and the muncher up on the rooftop) have the same exact resolution every year and could feasibly be skipped since you know exactly what they'll say.

Yeah, I feel you there. The problem is that everyone who isn't in your clan gets a turn too so by the third turn you might have six units going and waiting between your next turn comes around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Since I didn't get the whole 'don't dispatch people to missions to actually do them' thing I did those Camoa Cup things like eight times before actually getting another scion to use besides the one they just give you for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Do Scions get more powerful if you use them with a more filled up Smash bar?