Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Feenix posted:

I think I'm going to get this, pending reviews.

A couple of questions;

1) does anyone know how much of this game is essentially comprised of "rally?" Because Rally feels pretty terrible.

2) bearing in mind I don't want to break the bank, but do want to pay for quality, what FFB wheel should I be eyeing?

3) how does one use a wheel in an office chair? Do I need to make some kind of sawhorse mount?

A t150 is probably fine for you. I use a tv dinner tray for my wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah, the thrustmaster and logitech standard springs are pretty soft. They should have grippers on the bottom also, or at least the g29 does, so its pretty manageable on carpet.

I like they added the Tokyo Expressway because it reminds me of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just to better explain my setup. I play on a monitor. I could clamp to my desk but its a flimsy desk with my computer, monitor and work computer on it. I feel like everything would constantly rock or fall over.

COmputer roller chair.
Carpet.

So I don't worry too much about slide.

I definitely want good force feedback.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Feenix posted:

Just to better explain my setup. I play on a monitor. I could clamp to my desk but its a flimsy desk with my computer, monitor and work computer on it. I feel like everything would constantly rock or fall over.

COmputer roller chair.
Carpet.

So I don't worry too much about slide.

I definitely want good force feedback.

If you want good force feedback, there's no escaping Newton's Third Law. You're going to have to mount to something decently rigid and sturdy.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrLonghair posted:

Right now you're better off buying a PS1/2/3 and an old GT game if you want GT singleplayer, of the great kind it used to be, on those great wonderful original maps. If GTSport goes live like this it'll block you out of what little singleplayer there is ("arcade", shitloads of license tests masquerading as singleplayer) if there's not a solid collection to the GT servers.

I really liked getting all gold in the licensing tests and other events in GT5/6 so that's right up my alley, but don't have whatever the multiplayer subscription is called and have no intention of paying for it.

Disappointed because I was really looking forward to some new GT content but the lackluster car list and the focus on multiplayer is leaving me torn

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I want the real deal GT7 with singleplayer and starting out Sunday Cup hooning with beaters :(

The final (?) gift car from daily mileage I got was the Lexus LF-LC GT Vision Gran Turismo, so that's 3 million credits of cars plus a Focus ST '15. Everybody gets the GT-R group B rally car for free starter right? The game really wants me to pick it up. I like the driving, I like the maps, I'll plop the headset on and 1v1 in VR against a poo poo AI forever. Fuuuuuc.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

MrLonghair posted:

I want the real deal GT7 with singleplayer and starting out Sunday Cup hooning with beaters :(

This is my favorite part of GT/Forza

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
It keeps telling me that I have rewards for completing achievements, but when I click on that menu the game crashes every time. I also can't seem to access any menu that will allow me to view/change my controller setup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

For what it's worth you can create this in Arcade Custom but it's not the samething really. :(

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I thought the handling and feel of the cars in the demo was great. I'm definitely not a racing game fan, but I can see myself picking this up even if its just to tool around in arcade mode and do the licence stuff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Custom matches with goons will be hilarious and great, can set so many variables that help the experience there. Maybe picking it up on payday after all even though I miss the old things and also having a wheel..

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I think something big is going down with Gran Turismo and F1 soon

https://twitter.com/LewisHamilton/status/918460447455612928

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Best possible announcement would be the FIA telling Codemasters to gently caress off and giving PD the rights to make F1 games.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
This game is good and fun. I had the bug where it would crash as soon as I went into the options menu, but it's not doing it anymore (for others experiencing it: it's either following all the yellow tool tips that stops it crashing, or connecting a steering wheel).

I love the little touches, like giving users a prompt to access the content on the screensaver display – pressing triangle takes you straight to the car in the dealership, or that moment in the manufacturer's history. It looks fantastic – more consistent than PCars 2. Handling model is pretty sweet, too.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MrLonghair posted:

Best possible announcement would be the FIA telling Codemasters to gently caress off and giving PD the rights to make F1 games.

I was hoping for just the F1 season tracks but nope: https://www.gtplanet.net/play-gran-turismo-sport-get-coaching-lewis-hamilton/

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

and just below the article "GT Sport Requires an Internet Connection for Game Saves"
No GT7 action in my family cabin in the middle of nowhere in Finland then, we'll go drive for real instead :argh:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MrLonghair posted:

Kiss the annual model goodbye :haw:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

I'm hearing so many positive things about the multiplayer in this all around, I really regret buying forza 7. This is the game I wanted, I should have waited

How different does it look/feel on a PS4 vs a PS4 Pro at 1080p? Forza 7 on PC might have spoiled me a bit visually, even if the game seems like it got worse over time

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I play on PS4 Pro on a 1080p monitor with the game set to frame rate over graphics quality, and GT Sport blows Forza 7 PC out of the water. It is unbelievably realistic looking. The level of detail is :eyepop: and goes well beyond what Forza 7 does. And don't get me wrong, Forza 7 is mind blowing as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Polyphony gets lighting right in a way Forza has never been able to.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I miss the art style of Forza 3 though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The game overall looks good, but that tokyo night map looks like a ps2 game

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Reading a lot of people complaining that the driving model in GT Sport is terrible compared to F7 and is just floaty with hardly any feedback.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Arcade Mode has been confirmed, will be playable while offline in the final version. Will we also be able to save our game and continue progress while off? Hopefully.

If it wasn't for my love of booze I'd get this at launch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am getting this at launch, expect my like clockwork Gran Turismo meltdown within the next month.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I said come in! posted:

I am getting this at launch, expect my like clockwork Gran Turismo meltdown within the next month.

Has it really been 7 years since the GT5 hypetrain!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

Reading a lot of people complaining that the driving model in GT Sport is terrible compared to F7 and is just floaty with hardly any feedback.

I haven't played Forza but in my T150 the force feedback was a lot stronger than Driveclub. It nearly knocked over the table stand I was using.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Had a cheap PS2 Thrustmaster with enough maximum FFB to damage my IKEA desk.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I really grew to like this game over the week as sport mode all its settings with qualifying.. leader boards etc seems uniquely tuned to please me. So I put my preorder in. I bought both systems for all the drat racing games and they both turned out to be actually pretty good, so that's cool I guess.

As a controller user, and long time forza player and this being my first GT, my two cents in the gt vs forza driving model debate is they're only slightly different and both good. i was transitioning between suzuka in both games just fine yesterday. Forza feels like it has more throttle reactive wheel spin to me, that's about it. I felt hte same way about project cars and other pc sims... forza has more wheel spin. I'd say gt is closer in feeling to the pc sims I've played. just loving lol if you try to use a real car as a reference frame for any of these games

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Uh why am I still able to play this

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
They extended the beta for another day.

Unless you are still playing it right now, in which case I have no idea... maybe they extended it a second day?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
For anybody wondering, the full game is a 54GB download and won't use any of the downloaded data from the demo :|
At least the saving grace is that the save data transfers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Is it weird that in 2017, 54 gigs seems reasonable?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

Sadly. Halo MCC should be a bit past 100 gigs now right? And still broken?

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

I'm not sure I completely agree with the way the game determines who is at fault in a collision. I seem to have adopted a ridiculously cautious racing style online where I rarely gain more than a handful of positions between start and finish. Even so, I got my Sportsmanship Rating bumped down from B to C yesterday after just five online races. In four of those, some clown plowed right into me while cornering and/or attempted some sort of PIT maneuver while overtaking, causing me to lose SR. Meanwhile, I was directly responsible for exactly two rear end shunts.

Having said that, I've been enjoying the pre-launch demo way more than I imagined. I wasn't thinking of buying GT Sport before, but I'm seriously considering it now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

GlitterBob posted:

I'm not sure I completely agree with the way the game determines who is at fault in a collision. I seem to have adopted a ridiculously cautious racing style online where I rarely gain more than a handful of positions between start and finish. Even so, I got my Sportsmanship Rating bumped down from B to C yesterday after just five online races. In four of those, some clown plowed right into me while cornering and/or attempted some sort of PIT maneuver while overtaking, causing me to lose SR. Meanwhile, I was directly responsible for exactly two rear end shunts.

Having said that, I've been enjoying the pre-launch demo way more than I imagined. I wasn't thinking of buying GT Sport before, but I'm seriously considering it now.

This, and how bad Rally is, are the only things concerning me.

But they are concerns.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GlitterBob posted:

I expected this but still disappointed. That said iRacing still hasn't gotten this right so that is why I expected Gran Turismo Sport wouldn't either. Anyone who has played that sim will know all to well how this is going to work.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TheScott2K posted:

Did the 2 TB hybrid drive upgrade. Am very happy.

Itchy Tony Manero
Mar 29, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I expected this but still disappointed. That said iRacing still hasn't gotten this right so that is why I expected Gran Turismo Sport wouldn't either. Anyone who has played that sim will know all to well how this is going to work.

Since everyone's Driver Rating starts at E, it would kinda sorta make sense to start out by grinding races with 100% focus on driving clean and completely disregarding everything else, including podium finishes and lap times. Yeah, you'll be slow as hell but that won't hurt your DR since it's already at the bottom. DR is something you can start paying attention to after you get an A in sportsmanship and get to race with the sane people. If I end up buying GTS, that'll probably be my game plan in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

TheScott2K posted:

54GB for the full game is fine. But it's a big "gently caress you" to everybody who downloaded the 43GB demo.
I'm not really pissed or anything, but it's a little cheeky – especially when a non-zero percentage of the user base will be affected by data caps.

I guess true fans of Gran Turismo were there, man. They downloaded the 100GB in two weeks to get their fix, and had to go without Netflix streaming for the rest of the month.

• Locked thread