Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I like weekly races better, I really preferred it during the beta and launch. I put in more practice and was more likely to try track and car combos I wasn’t as good at. As it is I only hit sport mode maybe once a week, with car/track combos I’m more confident with and even then only if I can qualify decently. I’m more likely to actually race daily now that I can actually practice ahead of time.

However there’s no real reason they can’t do both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Jesus the Ford GT Gr3 just murders everyone for straight line speed.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'm super sketched out about the microtransactions not only because they said they wouldn't do it but because now the rate at which players do the daily workout and earning ingame credts is reduced because of the change to weekly race's.

zooted heh fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 30, 2018

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

That's probably a response to the number of lobbies that are "HELP ME START $$$$$$$ 6HR" where people just start a "race" and let Auto Drive do the rest so they can farm credits.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

zooted heh posted:

I'm super sketched out about the microtransactions not only because they said they wouldn't do it but because now the rate at which players do the daily workout and earning ingame credts is reduced because of the change to weekly race's.

Eh. I’ve been working and traveling so much that I haven’t had time to accumulate credits or do daily races. I might buy a car or two and hopefully some whale out there buys all of them so we can all have new content for this game for the foreseeable future.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I just posted the Manufacturer Series details in the Awful Cup thread!

Our first race of the season is this Saturday. Head over there and sign up if you want to join us!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is it just me or does the power seem extremely delayed on downshifts in the f1? It basically just opens the clutch completely through the entire selection if you’re downshifting for a turn, there’s no gears kicking in

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

It's not just you. People are reporting all kinds of bugs with the new Mercedes f1. Especially shifting down or trying to use engine brake.

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

The weekly races have at least helped me get back up to DR B Suzuka is one of my best tracks, the races seem a lot cleaner in DR B as well.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I feel like that's probably the reasoning behind going back to weekly. The dailies were getting pretty damned rowdy in B.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Reminder you should sign up for our Goon League Manufacturer's Cup this weekend.

We even have trading cards!

Details and our discord is at: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853122

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m so glad we have such different liveries this time and of course different makes. I’ve got my suit done up and almost done with my helmet, so I’ll get my scapes photo to Beefsteak once I’m home tonight.

Getting some practice laps in might be a good idea too? Naaaahhhh. Gotta make sure the promo/PR work is done first.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

harperdc posted:

I’m so glad we have such different liveries this time and of course different makes. I’ve got my suit done up and almost done with my helmet, so I’ll get my scapes photo to Beefsteak once I’m home tonight.

Getting some practice laps in might be a good idea too? Naaaahhhh. Gotta make sure the promo/PR work is done first.

Of course. Gotta look cool.

I love that were gonna have a really varied experience. We've done incredible work on our liveries this time, and there's more variety on the field, and you can nearly double that with the split of gr3 and gr4.

This is gonna be a fun series.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
When is the Honda Beat spec race taking place, with 20 laps around Tsukuba? :v:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Who's got the 6 hours for that?

we do, we totally do and probably will

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

I really hate playing with manual transmission on a controller, but Sainte Croix C and the Fort GT pretty much necessitated a switch. Way easier to save fuel via short shifting then lowering consumption. I was getting killed on pit road having always come in with 1% fuel and sitting there longer then everyone else.

Really starting to enjoy the track but it does not induce great racing with Gr 3's. Would love to see a Gr2 race there, think it might be the sweet spot for that track.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've just been practicing on it, nowhere near close to your times yet, but totally agreed. I was thinking Gr2 or Gr1 would be a lot more fun, it kind of overstays its welcome in Gr3. A feels a lot more fun for Gr3 to me.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I like the track but my Porsche keeps getting beat by a herd of OP Ford Super GTs. I won a super GT but it feels cheap using it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I bought a wheel and I’m doing alright picking it up. Couple of days ago my controller time on race A was a 1:17 something and I’m right back there. Unfortunately since that time 1:17 places me last and pole is a little bit above 1:16 , with 12 drivers in between. So I guess the weekly race has at least one advantage, I’ve not seen a qualifier that close before. I ended up staying last (only 13 seconds between me an lead at end, so a close race overall too)

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
I was on pole in race A with a 15.871 yesterday and the guy in second qualified with a ...15.871 ._. I wonder how the game decides who gets pole in situations like that.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

The game actually records to several more decimal places but only shows the first three.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

After many frustrating races (getting punted in turn 3 on Sainte Croix is a right of passage even at S SR levels). I was able to run a sub 18 min race time...until I hosed up one sector and lost 2 seconds. I will just settle for 18:02 and await the new weekly races. Really hoping for the B layout, could use some shorter races. 3:30 lap time is stressful when it isn't Le Mans.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Does anyone have the Fanatec PS4 wheel? Thoughts? I’m thinking about grabbing one.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

DaddyBigBucks posted:

After many frustrating races (getting punted in turn 3 on Sainte Croix is a right of passage even at S SR levels). I was able to run a sub 18 min race time...until I hosed up one sector and lost 2 seconds. I will just settle for 18:02 and await the new weekly races. Really hoping for the B layout, could use some shorter races. 3:30 lap time is stressful when it isn't Le Mans.

I dont mind a long lap to race on but it makes qualifying a chore. I suppose thats why I like tsukuba so much. 10 qualifying laps take 10 minutes. by the way if you want to use AT with the ford gt at croix, try fuel map 1 on lap one, then switch to 2 for laps two and three, then you can do the last two laps on 1. you should get to the end without losing any real pace

I.N.R.I fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 5, 2018

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

I tried running a variety of combinations of the fuel map but I was losing time like crazy on the straightaways, some of that is entry/exit speed of previous corners but I have now become really comfortable using MT. It has helped me immensely in two sections, the first is the dog leg right into the sharper right hander (T5/T6?). The second is the sector before and after the bridge, which is becoming my favorite on the track.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Yes the MT is 100% essential even on controllers. The grip and weight balance you get from being at the right rpm through turns is insane. You can also time switching gears to induce over steer/ understeer while the power is quickly disconnected and reconnected.
I myself made that switch on controller when I was trying to beat forza 4’s gold medal and it was night and day after the learning curve. Next step: the wheel.

Speaking of wheels I’m thinking I’m just gonna exchange this T150 and grab the next step up T300

ethanol fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 5, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Short shifting is such an important strat on certain cars and tracks, MT is for sure the way to go

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

Does anyone have the Fanatec PS4 wheel? Thoughts? I’m thinking about grabbing one.

I have it and I’ve been enjoying the hell out of it. Only thing that sucks is the rev light doesn’t work on GT Sport. Finding the right wheel settings is a bitch but once you get it right it’s awesome. And it works great on the PC for other racers as well.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

KidDynamite posted:

I have it and I’ve been enjoying the hell out of it. Only thing that sucks is the rev light doesn’t work on GT Sport. Finding the right wheel settings is a bitch but once you get it right it’s awesome. And it works great on the PC for other racers as well.

Did you get the loadcell kit? Or just base bundle pedals?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Update went out last night to fix the Lewis car. Which is amusing to me because I’ve been reading people defending the car as fine because Lewis tweeted that it felt just like the real thing (obvious promotional tweet).

In other news I cannot drive that
dang bmw very well. Tcs on or off I’m at 1:29 and other drivers seem to be easily managing 1:28. I’m a bit frustrated with the ffb not being as clear as pcars2 and iracing when it comes to threshold braking. This obviously is only a issue now that I have a wheel. In fact it kinda seems like the tires losing grip can’t be felt at all in gts

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

I noticed turning back on pylons for Interlagos that the break points for almost all the turns with double pylons have changed. The new physics tire model is more apparent this week for me because I was driving the Ford GT at St. Croixe almost exclusively, but now coming back to see some of the other tracks it's more noticeable. Braking from higher speeds seems to be more difficult.

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

ethanol posted:

In fact it kinda seems like the tires losing grip can’t be felt at all in gts

This has been a common complaint in many of the streamers I have watched. Some chalk it up to changes made in 1.23 that are affecting the specific wheels they are using (Z28 talks about it in his latest youtube video), but can't entirely confirm it since they don't have a plethora of wheels to swap in and out.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

They added a bunch of BoP changes last night and buffed two of my favorite cars, The Mercedes AMG and the 911RSR. It’s just 1% on power though, I can’t tell any difference in lap times. I don’t think the 1% power nerf to the new Ford GT will matter much either, it’s has so much grunt that it’s great getting up the hill on Interlagos.

They also added 2% weight to the Megane Trophy. Will this finally be enough? Probably IMO. It was already terrible on the straights, it just handled so well and had so much downforce you could make it up in the turns.

I tried the W08. I’m too much of a leadfoot to make it work though. It really makes me appreciate the pros. I wish we could manually activate/manage the DRS and KERS on cars that have it. It’s so lame I can’t push the boost button on an LMP1 on the Nürburgring.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

Did you get the loadcell kit? Or just base bundle pedals?

I got loadcell and I think it was definitely worth the upgrade.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

KidDynamite posted:

I got loadcell and I think it was definitely worth the upgrade.

I got a Thrustmaster T300RS last week and upgraded the pedals to the T3PA set this week. I’m already thinking about this loadcell kit. The T3PA kit with the included rubber cone mod are a big step up, but I’m already itching for something more.

I’m loving my Playseat Challenge and wheel though. I had a Logitech G27 years ago and didn’t like it nearly as much. After the initial learning curve it’s so much more fun.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DaddyBigBucks posted:

This has been a common complaint in many of the streamers I have watched. Some chalk it up to changes made in 1.23 that are affecting the specific wheels they are using (Z28 talks about it in his latest youtube video), but can't entirely confirm it since they don't have a plethora of wheels to swap in and out.

Hmm, I’m gonna try a few different tire and car options and see myself

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

OK, so I'm not going crazy. I practiced a little after the patch last night and couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but something definitely felt strange and wrong. It seemed like the car would just turn loose and I wasn't feeling it in the wheel at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I misread that post, thinking he meant specific tires and a camaro z28... lol... it was early. So if specific to thrustmaster wheels are missing feedback now, I'd love to hear confirmation of that because I definitely can't test that

vvv I think so, but I got my wheel right after the patch so I can't tell you how it was pre patch

ethanol fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 7, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wait. They removed the wheel lock/slide from FFB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Just got a clean race bonus but red letter for my SR, wtf?

• Locked thread