Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

DaddyBigBucks posted:

Just got a clean race bonus but red letter for my SR, wtf?

Afaik the clean race bonus is focused more on 'did you stay on the track/not hit walls' and has some leeway for rubbing/minor hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Ah that explains why sometimes I may strike a pylon and lose the bonus for the same reason.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

T300 rs gt feels god drat gooooood. I turned the torque down to 2 and man it is no comparison to the T150, which was already pretty good on its own..... But this is smoooooth and much much easier to counter steer Don’t let anybody convince you the T150 is a good starter wheel lol because it feels like winding a tiny clock while you’re turning. Yes yes gears vs belt so obvious but honestly years of hearing about this stuff I’ve never heard a gear wheel described as notchy... just weak and worse

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 9, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gear wheels are notchy, literally everyone says that, but either way, congrats, the 300 is a gem of a wheel!!!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’m sorry, I’m dumb as hellll

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I cannot go faster than 2:08 on nurb gt. God daaaaaamn it

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gear wheels are notchy, literally everyone says that, but either way, congrats, the 300 is a gem of a wheel!!!

Before I moved to this new country I had a T500RS and PlaySeat clone. I sold all of that and now sit here every Friday night with my mouse cursor hovering over the “buy” button for a T300 Ferrari wheel and GT Omega seat.

Posts from you and other wheelhavers aren’t helping :|

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Do it pussy. The t-gt is on sale for $599 (lol). Surely not worth it over my T300..... surely......

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Seriously guys I need to go faster on nurbgp

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’d actually argue the 500 isn’t worth the money. It’s main selling point is essentially a buttkicker attached to the steering column. It gives vibratory feedback that the motor alone can’t.

It’s cool, no doubt, but not “double the price” cool.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is the t500 the same as the t-gt

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’m pretty sure at this point it’s not my servo base but the brake pedal that is most inconsistent. Installing the conical mod just to shorten the throw has helped. Also I switched to controller for a few min and realized I’m not timing my first downshift very well anymore so my braking line is longer on the wheel .

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ethanol posted:

Is the t500 the same as the t-gt

I’m pretty sure the guts of the wheel base are the same and the wheel has some GT-specific knobs for adjustments of TC and brake balance.

If you can find one, a T-GT wheel will work on your 300 base

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

The T300 rim is the only part I don’t like, it’s pretty creaky in the plastic under the paddles. If anything I want to upgrade to zero plastic rim

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The thrust master ecosystem is awesome in that you can but the bungee cord Ferrari wheel and it will attach to your 300 base and work fine and you’ll get all its buttons and doodads, it’s worth it just to have some wheel options sometimes.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m pretty sure the guts of the wheel base are the same and the wheel has some GT-specific knobs for adjustments of TC and brake balance.

If you can find one, a T-GT wheel will work on your 300 base

T500RS is the now-discontinued flagship that the T300 wheels are based on. The T300 just has some tweaked (read: reliable) circuitry in the wheel hardware. T500Rs shipped with the TH3P pedals as standard.

The T-GT is a T300 with the transducers and some trick dedicated dials for configuring car settings during a race (brake bias, fuel map, TCS, and more). But those dials only work in GT so not worth the premium to me (unless it came down to like €400).

Also gently caress you guys I ordered the wheel and seat. Now that I have personal time again (and actual internet in a northern hemisphere country) I should race with y’all to try amortise the invsetmhahahahahah :(

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

ethanol posted:

Seriously guys I need to go faster on nurbgp

Something that helped me a lot was recording a top 10 replay on my phone. Then I could easily scrub back and forth to get a better idea of brake points, turn in points, etc. it works a lot better than the GTS replay feature.

I set up my cone mod so that resistance starts at about 40-50%. It’s working pretty well for me so far. I need a hard press after a straight and I have a good reference point for mid-speed turns.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hello Spaceman posted:

Also gently caress you guys I ordered the wheel and seat.

Noice

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

Something that helped me a lot was recording a top 10 replay on my phone. Then I could easily scrub back and forth to get a better idea of brake points, turn in points, etc. it works a lot better than the GTS replay feature.

I set up my cone mod so that resistance starts at about 40-50%. It’s working pretty well for me so far. I need a hard press after a straight and I have a good reference point for mid-speed turns.

I took back out the cone mod because the full brake calibration kept ending up setting itself just passed my comfort point for full press. Also I gained another second and way more consistency by setting the car to forward biased braking. Sad though because it seems like nurb gp has been endless bumper cars in the actual races. I think the track difficulty just makes people mad.

I’m realized all time I’ve been spending trying to get good at this track would have been unlikely if the tracks had changed 5 times already. Maybe the change was good. On the other hand, the qual times are getting loving hard as people improve

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 12, 2018

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This week's races are pretty cool. Race A is really making me want to grind so I can afford the new 20M Ferrari 250 GTO. It's so nice to drive around Brand's Hatch.

Edit: Race A is also fun because the entire lap is in either 3rd or 4th gear. You only have to shift four times.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 13, 2018

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Neat video on gran turismo sport.

https://youtu.be/hJ8c_ZLt868

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

Trillhouse posted:

This week's races are pretty cool. Race A is really making me want to grind so I can afford the new 20M Ferrari 250 GTO. It's so nice to drive around Brand's Hatch.

Edit: Race A is also fun because the entire lap is in either 3rd or 4th gear. You only have to shift four times.

Turn two is 2nd gear isn’t it?

DaddyBigBucks
Sep 28, 2003

Ineffiable posted:

Neat video on gran turismo sport.

https://youtu.be/hJ8c_ZLt868

What class is this gr2 or 3?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Mostly likely 3, seeing as the Almighty Nissan GTR comes in at gr3

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Boys we got a surprise August update!

https://youtu.be/Pa5dbC1KsXc

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Slick. Sneaking in tracks is never a bad thing
And that car list is not bad

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Really impressive post release support.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wow, that came out of nowhere; I didn't expect a content update given we didn't get any publicity push about it. Red Bull Ring is a fine track and the Lancia Delta is extremely my poo poo (gonna put a Martini livery on it).

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

If you’re thinking about getting a load cell mod for Thrustmaster pedals, don’t bother if you want to play GTS. The mod works great for other games on the PS4 and PC, but because of the way GTS handles brake calibration, it requires a ridiculously hard press to get 100% braking power. A reasonably firm press on other games has them recognize it as 100%, whereas in GTS you’re lucky to get 20% braking power and you have to put your foot through the floor to get full braking. It’s basically impossible to modulate braking when you have to press that hard. After some research on the internet I confirmed that other people report the same thing, with no fix.

Also GTS uses non-linear inputs for pedals which is infuriating and is the only game I know of that does it. Even GT6 had linear pedals.

The new update looks cool though. I like Red Bull Ring a lot. Probably will get a much needed BoP update too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really wish GTS would let you mess with the pedal and wheel settings as far as linearity, deadzone, travel limits, etc.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish GTS would let you mess with the pedal and wheel settings as far as linearity, deadzone, travel limits, etc.

Me too. I think they made a lot of concessions so that it’s possible to compete at a high level on controller at the expense of wheel sets. I doubt they’ll do anything now though.

My personal biggest beef is how good ABS is. It’s sad that all the top ten qualifiers have every other aid off but leave ABS on because it perfectly threshold brakes for you. I’m not against its existence, I just think relying on ABS should be slower than threshold braking really well. It takes out a lot of the skill in the game because you can just mash the brakes and be fine.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Problem is ABS off is totally wrong and practically impossible in GTS compared to racing sims.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Trillhouse posted:

If you’re thinking about getting a load cell mod for Thrustmaster pedals, don’t bother if you want to play GTS. The mod works great for other games on the PS4 and PC, but because of the way GTS handles brake calibration, it requires a ridiculously hard press to get 100% braking power. A reasonably firm press on other games has them recognize it as 100%, whereas in GTS you’re lucky to get 20% braking power and you have to put your foot through the floor to get full braking. It’s basically impossible to modulate braking when you have to press that hard. After some research on the internet I confirmed that other people report the same thing, with no fix.

Also GTS uses non-linear inputs for pedals which is infuriating and is the only game I know of that does it. Even GT6 had linear pedals.

The new update looks cool though. I like Red Bull Ring a lot. Probably will get a much needed BoP update too.

I just ordered a fanatec CSL elite wheel with the load cell pedals so this makes me very very sad.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Conversely, after jumping out of GTS and into Assetto Corsa, PCars2, Dirt Rally, etc I am grateful as gently caress that GTS has steering that just works and feels natural.

Sperg-level calibration configurability and being able to break everything by changing a dead zone by 1% is for the loving birds.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Jovial Cow posted:

I just ordered a fanatec CSL elite wheel with the load cell pedals so this makes me very very sad.

It will probably work fine because the load cell in the Fanatec is built in. The Thrustmaster thing I installed was a third-party mod that involved unscrewing the back panel and unplugging the brake pedal sensor and replacing it with a different one.

The non-linear throttle inputs is weird and affects all wheels but you get used to it.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 28, 2018

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Red Bull Ring is fantastic for the big cars (Gr4 and up) so looking forward to giving it a shot. It’s a real fast bullring, no pun intended - fast course but short so a longer race requires lots more laps.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

It's a good track, not very difficult though

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

No there's like 3 kinds of turns to watch out for. Two very sharp turns where you slow down a lot, two turns where you probably want to manage your acceleration through it and a curve that you can take flat out in most cars.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Is there anyway to get this game full screen or does it always have the black border? It says you should be able to do that in the options but i can’t for the life of me figure out how to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What resolution is your TV? I play on a 1080 projector and I dont get letterboxing

• Locked thread