Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Hi British person here. I guess I could see calling it tomato sauce? Because we don't have the US style 'tomato sauce' that's basically just pureed tomatoes in a can. The squeezy bottle in my fridge definitely says 'ketchup' on it though and I think that's the more common term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

feedmegin posted:

Hi British person here. I guess I could see calling it tomato sauce? Because we don't have the US style 'tomato sauce' that's basically just pureed tomatoes in a can. The squeezy bottle in my fridge definitely says 'ketchup' on it though and I think that's the more common term.

In Australia we don't have the USA 'tomato sauce' for cooking. We call it the Italian names of "passata" for pureed tomatoes, and "sugo" for cooked down and flavoured tomatoes (sugo al pomodoro).
It kind of left the term tomato sauce open, so we called ketchup 'tomato sauce' just like we could have bbq sauce, chilli sauce etc.

If you buy heinz brand here it is labelled ketchup, but if you buy what used to be an Australian brand (masterfoods, fountain, rosella), it's labelled tomato sauce.
I grew up with rosella* brand tomato sauce and even if I'm using heinz labelled ketchup, it's tomato sauce to me as I know what passata and sugo is.

*e: You could probably put the whole misunderstanding on them. Rosella was huge here at one time http://www.rosella.com.au/about/ They called ketchup 'tomato sauce' and every other australian company since has followed.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 14, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fo3 posted:

We call it the Italian names of "passata" for pureed tomatoes, and "sugo" for cooked down and flavoured tomatoes (sugo al pomodoro).
I've never heard anyone use these terms. Mostly people call sauces made from tomatoes (eg. on a pizza or pasta) "tomato sauce". It's usually pretty clear from context whether they mean ketchup or something else.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Shows up on every recipe I've got, try searching some proper recipes. Otherwise it's pizza sauce or tomato pasta sauce. Ie, not tomato sauce on the pizza, just pizza sauce, likewise for pasta sauce.

E: You've never seen this at the shop? https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/250962/leggos-passata-sauce-sugo-di-pomodoro

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 15, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Shows up on every recipe I've got, try searching some proper recipes. Otherwise it's pizza sauce or tomato pasta sauce. Ie, not tomato sauce on the pizza, just pizza sauce, likewise for pasta sauce.
I said I've never heard it, not that the term doesn't exist. If someone said to me they were making "sugo" I would have no idea what they were talking about because that is not a term anyone I know uses. It may be the "correct" word for it, but that doesn't mean people actually use it in everyday conversation.

And yes, often you'd say "pasta sauce" or "pizza sauce" or whatever, but I was thinking more along the lines of if you're telling someone what you're making for dinner you'd say "pasta with tomato sauce" not "pasta with pasta sauce".

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Fo3 posted:

E: You've never seen this at the shop? https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/250962/leggos-passata-sauce-sugo-di-pomodoro

Are we getting regional variations again? I'm used to tomato paste as the broad pizza/pasta sauce base, with ketchup called tomato sauce.

I've heard "red sauce" coming from England, I understand that's similar?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I made hamburger gravy on toast for dinner this weekend. Not even gonna feel bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

Are we getting regional variations again? I'm used to tomato paste as the broad pizza/pasta sauce base, with ketchup called tomato sauce.
Tomato paste is just, well, tomato paste. It's not a sauce by itself (although obviously you can use it as one if you want, no one can stop you).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I should also point out that Australia's tomatosauce/ketchup equivalent is not sugary the way US ketchup is.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Steve Yun posted:

I should also point out that Australia's tomatosauce/ketchup equivalent is not sugary the way US ketchup is.

That sounds really good. I don't like ketchup because it's so sweet here.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011
At home I always always always cook shirtless and in sandals

Even when oil splatters my chest pubes or I get a hot food nugget stuck between my toesies woesies

In line with this (don't act like u don't) I eat food off the floor and also occasionally from between my toes

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Croatoan posted:

That sounds really good. I don't like ketchup because it's so sweet here.

It's sugary so moms can put it on just about anything and their kids will eat it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SnakeParty posted:

At home I always always always cook shirtless and in sandals

Even when oil splatters my chest pubes or I get a hot food nugget stuck between my toesies woesies

In line with this (don't act like u don't) I eat food off the floor and also occasionally from between my toes

In all honesty, those are things that I do not do.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have to dive face first into the floor when I drop something and eat it or the hound will constantly be underfoot.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pee on him to establish your dominance.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You mean to tell me that when you're cooking at home and you drop a pizza roll briefly on the floor, you dont look at it with pure lust and then shovel it into your mouth?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I...I don't eat pizza rolls.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I...I don't eat pizza rolls.

What, you think you’re better than pizza rolls?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I'm more of a bagel bite guy myself.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

kloa posted:

What, you think you’re better than pizza rolls?

real men buy their pizzas from costco hot counters

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

I've heard "red sauce" coming from England, I understand that's similar?

Red sauce is tomato sauce is ketchup. Though as someone else pointed out, 'tomato sauce' can also mean the stuff you put on pasta. Tomato purée comes in tubes or small cans, passata comes in jars or cartons, and then we have the usual chopped/peeled tomatoes in tins. Those are the standard processed tomato forms in England.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just ate a quarter cup of bacos and washed it down with sherry because I'm classy.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

C'mon, you've never cooked a couple eggs at 11am on a Sunday hungover as gently caress wearing nothing but your boxers?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's when you go out for menudo.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm not cooking anymore.
I just opened a can of king oscar mackerel fillets in olive oil, poured all the oil over toast, and chucked on sliced tomato and pepper. It was an oily mess but needed to stretch out the flavour on 4 pieces of toast and not enough mackerel flesh to do that otherwise.
Next time though I'll try emulisfy the oil with some garlic, mustard and lemon juice (from the bottle these days naturally).
Can't be hosed cooking for one.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Fo3 posted:

I'm not cooking anymore.
I just opened a can of king oscar mackerel fillets in olive oil, poured all the oil over toast, and chucked on sliced tomato and pepper. It was an oily mess but needed to stretch out the flavour on 4 pieces of toast and not enough mackerel flesh to do that otherwise.
Next time though I'll try emulisfy the oil with some garlic, mustard and lemon juice (from the bottle these days naturally).
Can't be hosed cooking for one.

I save all of my 'dine oil and use it for vinaigrettes and mayo and stuff. A+, highly recommended.

SnakeParty
Oct 30, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I save all of my 'dine oil and use it for vinaigrettes and mayo and stuff. A+, highly recommended.

That's so loving pro

Does it impart a 'dine flavor?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I do that with anchovy oil as well, it's great

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

SnakeParty posted:

That's so loving pro

Does it impart a 'dine flavor?

Extremely. It's so good.

Bonus points: sauté dines in dine oil.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Scientastic posted:

I do that with anchovy oil as well, it's great

I went to fry some rice, celery and carrot last night. The ex had taken all the oil so I did it in anchovy oil from the empty jar left on the counter.
I went sardine shopping just then. I went to a specific shop that advertised brunswick for $1. They didn't have any left so I bought the woolworths one to compare to KO ($2.70-3.20), brunswick ($1.70-2.20), john west($2-2.50), black and gold($1.10) and safcol ($1.50). It's the last brand I want to try before I start buying boxes in bulk
They also had more sole mare brand mackerel half price $1.50

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 20, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Confession: I tried to do a microwave cookie yesterday. Those are sketchy even if executed faithfully. I made an off-the-cuff substitution because I couldn't be bothered to crack an egg.

It turned out mushy and unevenly too hot, but I ate every sludgy bit with a scoop of vanilla ice cream because I am a sweet tooth fatty.

I baked real cookies two days ago but left them at work :negative:

e: still about as good as PJ's "pazookies"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I feel like the microwave brownie has potential but i just can't find the right recipe.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

All of those microwaved cakes/brownies look like they turn out well, but I haven’t tried any recipes yet.

In other news, I’ve been microwaving potatoes so they’re mostly cooked, and then dumping them in soups to be blended. Seems to work just as good as actually boiling potatoes and saves a ton of time :shrug:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Back in high school before I knew how to cook, I would make microwave cakes sometimes. I forgot what I did to them to make them tolerable - an extra egg maybe? - but they weren't the absolute worst. Pretty bad, though.

I will absolutely eat a bowl of cereal for dinner if I'm completely knocked out from work. Yes, I have frozen tamales, bao, gyoza, and a bunch of other things, but they take longer than 30 seconds to prepare.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Back in high school before I knew how to cook, I would make microwave cakes sometimes. I forgot what I did to them to make them tolerable - an extra egg maybe? - but they weren't the absolute worst. Pretty bad, though.

I will absolutely eat a bowl of cereal for dinner if I'm completely knocked out from work. Yes, I have frozen tamales, bao, gyoza, and a bunch of other things, but they take longer than 30 seconds to prepare.

Breakfast food is appropriate at any time of day IMO so there's nothing to be ashamed of here.

My tired-as-gently caress food is frozen grocery store-brand meatballs. If I don't know what else to make I'll chop some of them in half and fry them up with any leftover veggies we have. If I'm really tired I'll just microwave them and eat them plain.

E: Wegman's brand, for the curious

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I loving love ikea meatballs with cream of mushroom soup over egg noodles, with pepper and butter, and a side of canned green beans. It's a massive comfort food for me, it's how they were always prepared in my house and at the larger lutheran shindigs I went to as a child.

The jacksonville Ikea opens November 8th and I CAN NOT loving WAIT

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I despise Campari.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Drink and Fight posted:

I despise Campari.

Ban for trolling.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I usually just microwave frozen tamales, so that's an ultimate lazy food for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hell yeah. Put 1/2 inch water in a bowl with a couple tamales, cover with a damp paper towel, and nuke that sumbitch until it's ready to eat.

• Locked thread