Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
franco
Jan 3, 2003

Doh004 posted:

There are times where I won't toss my pasta and its sauce together (or even finish it in another pan!). I sometimes want to have some mostly naked noodles in the same bite as properly sauced ones :iiam:

This is me if I make an improv "garbage" bolognese for spaghetti. Spaghetti on the plate and ragu blob in the middle - you control the combination as you go! To add to the sacrilege, despite generally having real parmesan on hand, I sometimes like to put the fake shaky sawdust stuff on the naked parts (AND the noodles hoho).

His Divine Shadow posted:

I put ketchup on lasagna

Never on a decent one, but brown sauce (HP) for me. Also on a cottage pie. This mainly comes from a childhood of very bland versions of both of those dishes. The same reason I have to remember to stop myself from salting soups before tasting them.

Tendales posted:

Cheapest brand hot dog, with mayo, on sandwich bread.

But not while anyone's around to see me.

Maybe not the cheapest brand, but tinned dogs on white bread definitely happens with mustard/ketchup from time to time (and definitely alone).

I only use garlic powder/salt to mix with mayo for a quick dip for pizza crusts and keep some of the jarred stuff on hand for emergencies. But despite almost always using fresh, I DO commit a supposed garlic crime: that poo poo ain't getting finely chopped - it's going through a mincer.

I use metal utensils in non-stick pans (unless they're ceramic). I think I have built up a healthy Teflon immunity over the years.

I think there is a lot of snobbery towards microwaves as not being a "pure" way to cook or something. They're very good at certain tasks and it's not "cheating" to use the right tool for the right job. If it happens to be more convenient then surely so much the better! For example most vegetables for a side work great in a microwave steamer. Microwave "baked" potatoes (mentioned above) are their own thing and good if you don't have an hour to do it the "correct" way - you can always finish them off in the oven to get the crispy skin. A lot of delicate fish (looking at you especially, trout) also works fantastically.

There's nothing wrong with stock/bouillon cubes.

Most of the time I'll dress a salad with a nice homemade vinaigrette or some decent balsamic or the like but sometimes I just want to chuck some Salad Cream on it for myself. It's also a nice variation instead of mayo in egg salad for sandwiches. Tangy!

I'll get my coat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Jose posted:

i liked tinned ravioli on toast once or twice a year with lots of hot sauce as hangover food

Guilty as charged (without the hot sauce OR the hangover AND probably a bit more often). Also tinned macaroni cheese. Also tinned spaghetti bolognese. Not going to pretend that any of them are like the real thing, but they are sometimes what I crave in their own way. I think it's part having had them in childhood a lot and part being able to go all survivalist and have them on hand for true "I just finished 6 12-hour shifts on the bounce and I cannot be hosed to cook" moments.

exquisite tea posted:

Not gonna lie, Chef Boyardee beef ravioli just hits the spot sometimes in a way that real ravioli could never duplicate.

And basically this too.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
For most of my adult life I put tomatoes in the fridge. I guess I thought "raw tomatoes are a sort of salad-y thing so into the salad/crisper draw they go!". I wish somebody had told me about the LOSS OF drat FLAVOUR thing all those years ago. Even lovely, watery, supermarket tomatoes retain some flavour when kept out...who knew?

To redeem myself, I've always kept eggs unrefrigerated but that's only correct if you're in a land of non-weirdly-washed eggs.

For an idiotic culinary eureka moment, I've only had a fan oven for a few years. It's not a particularly fancy one but it's decent and a lack of (much) preheating and even temperatures are great. When you turn it off the fan continues running in the cool-down phase. Often it can go for 10/15 mins before fully shutting off, depending on how long/hot it has been going. Embarrassingly recently it dawned on me that if you leave the loving oven door open after you're finished then it will cool faster and the fan will shut off after a matter of less than a minute or two. That should be obvious to anyone who has let the heat out on a soufflé/yorkshire pudding or something but apparently not me! :downs:

• Locked thread