Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
When I'm lazy, I just make nachos in the microwave, topped with spicy Szechuan pickled mustard and angry lady.

Sometimes I boil up premade pelmini and dump half a container of crema over them.

I eat bacos straight from the jar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Oxphocker posted:

My tuna salad has yellow mustard in it.

This is actually a cool and good thing to do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tiggum posted:

I eat peanut butter and Vegemite sandwiches. And I insist that you try it. You will not regret it. Butter both slices of bread, spread peanut butter on one and Vegemite on the other and close it up (like any sandwich). The flavours combine in an unexpectedly delicious way.

This is legit good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Fair enough. Either they are southern Thai restaurants or they cater to that because most people expect that when thinking 'Thai food', so that is what sells. A lot of northern Thai is more Indian or Chinese influenced and grew up around coconut not even being available. Some further south without a fresh supply use coconut oil though - get some of the flavour but it's way more transportable. Coconut oil is make like clarified butter or like how ghee is made, reduce until separated.
But here's an example of a northern curry with Burmese influence (who had influence from Indian curries). Note the tumeric, cardamom, tamarind, cassia etc and complete lack of coconut.

Northern thai pork curry

Main:
500g pork belly or ribs
12 red shallots, peeled
3T palm sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 tamarind water
1-2 cups water
optional peanuts

Curry paste:
2T standard red curry paste (you could make it yourself from scratch but...) plus:
1tsp tumeric
1T coriander seeds, roasted and ground
2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and ground
3 star anise, roasted and ground
2cm peice of cassia bark/cinnamon stick, roasted and ground
5 cloves, roasted and ground
2 cardamom pods roasted and ground
(note could replace all the above with powders at a pinch, but I never have)

Garlic and ginger paste
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2cm piece of ginger

Directions:
make the curry paste, make the garlic and ginger paste separate by grinding in a mortar and pestle, and set them both aside.
Blanch the pork twice, set aside to cool. Then dice.

Fry the garlic and ginger paste, add pork to mix and stir fry 1 min, then add the curry paste and stir fry 1min before adding shallots.
After everything has some colour and fragrance, add tamarind water, fish sauce, sugar and water (start with 1 cup, adding more if needed).

Simmer for one hour or until pork is tender. Adding optional peanuts to serve.

Original recipe has red curry paste made from scratch of course, and a whole heap of ginger and garlic in the 'main' section for late additions. But I like to spend less money in ingredients and also less time.

This recipe is a good thing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'll have to make some sort of soup and replace the stock with the corn stock instead. Not sure what just yet, but I'll try to remember to post about it when I do.

I think it was grant achatz who served the corn broth basically by itself as a sort of consomé.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SnakeParty posted:

At home I always always always cook shirtless and in sandals

Even when oil splatters my chest pubes or I get a hot food nugget stuck between my toesies woesies

In line with this (don't act like u don't) I eat food off the floor and also occasionally from between my toes

In all honesty, those are things that I do not do.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pee on him to establish your dominance.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I...I don't eat pizza rolls.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just ate a quarter cup of bacos and washed it down with sherry because I'm classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's when you go out for menudo.

• Locked thread