Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

I really don't know how it's even possible to be bad at cooking rice. Put rice and water in a saucepan on the stove and leave it there till it's done. It's that simple. If measuring out the amounts written on the pack is too much hassle, just put in way too much water and strain it off at the end. It's basically the same as pasta, which no one ever seems to have a problem with.

Yeah, if you want to boil rice (and then drain) it's easy. If you want to cook rice in flavour (stock, sauce, meat whatever), ie absorption method, where rice is rinsed before, and the liquid is pre-measured, then cooking in stainless steel on an ancient wonky electric coil stovetop loving sucks. Takes so long to heat up with random hot spots sticking, and then you have to adjust the temp 5 min before you need to adjust it somehow.

It's not that I can't do it as I do it for sushi and paella or jambalaya all the time, but it's annoying. If I just want plain rice cooked in stock I use my pressure cooker because there's no point going to the stove top absorption method hassle just for that.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

exquisite tea posted:

I make all my rice on the stovetop like risotto and stir it around adding liquid until it absorbs because I can't just leave food alone for that long.
I don't even do risottos like that. Chuck it in the pressure cooker and 6min later it's done.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, coconut is mainly in the southern curries. I don't think tiggum has had much Thai besides green, red and yellow curries from magazine/internet recipes.
There's lots of stir fries and grilled meat recipes from the north, and also they make the same red, green and yellow curries without coconut. If you check out a Thai restaurant here tiggum the usually call them jungle curry

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

C-Euro posted:

Coconut milk is the base for curry "broth" so yeah any Thai curry you eat is probably going to have some coconut.

Again, no. That is a southern thing. North Thai curries do not use coconut because there's no coconut growing there.
Jungle, or northen curry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaeng_pa If you find it with coconut then it is probably westernized to make it less spicy. But usually it should be similar herbs and spice to a southern curry, but probably more on the shrimp paste and fish sauce than southern coconut curries.

E: Plus they usually have simpler grill meat, stirfry veg type and add rice recipes.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 9, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

I've mostly had Thai food at restaurants, because a few of my friends really like it. I generally just put up with the coconut, because I don't hate it, I'd just prefer that not everything on the menu tasted so strongly of it.
Fair enough. Either they are southern Thai restaurants or they cater to that because most people expect that when thinking 'Thai food', so that is what sells. A lot of northern Thai is more Indian or Chinese influenced and grew up around coconut not even being available. Some further south without a fresh supply use coconut oil though - get some of the flavour but it's way more transportable. Coconut oil is make like clarified butter or like how ghee is made, reduce until separated.
But here's an example of a northern curry with Burmese influence (who had influence from Indian curries). Note the tumeric, cardamom, tamarind, cassia etc and complete lack of coconut.

Northern thai pork curry

Main:
500g pork belly or ribs
12 red shallots, peeled
3T palm sugar
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 tamarind water
1-2 cups water
optional peanuts

Curry paste:
2T standard red curry paste (you could make it yourself from scratch but...) plus:
1tsp tumeric
1T coriander seeds, roasted and ground
2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted and ground
3 star anise, roasted and ground
2cm peice of cassia bark/cinnamon stick, roasted and ground
5 cloves, roasted and ground
2 cardamom pods roasted and ground
(note could replace all the above with powders at a pinch, but I never have)

Garlic and ginger paste
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp salt
2cm piece of ginger

Directions:
make the curry paste, make the garlic and ginger paste separate by grinding in a mortar and pestle, and set them both aside.
Blanch the pork twice, set aside to cool. Then dice.

Fry the garlic and ginger paste, add pork to mix and stir fry 1 min, then add the curry paste and stir fry 1min before adding shallots.
After everything has some colour and fragrance, add tamarind water, fish sauce, sugar and water (start with 1 cup, adding more if needed).

Simmer for one hour or until pork is tender. Adding optional peanuts to serve.

Original recipe has red curry paste made from scratch of course, and a whole heap of ginger and garlic in the 'main' section for late additions. But I like to spend less money in ingredients and also less time.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 9, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Tiggum posted:

I like tomato sauce (ketchup). On hotdogs, on chicken nuggets, on pies, on sausage rolls, even on chips if there's no mayonnaise. I know it's one of the most popular condiments that exists, it just seems like around here this is an unpopular opinion.

Nah, I'm with you on some of those. Tomato sauce is necessary for sausage rolls or poo poo pies. I never have them on chips (prefer sweet chilli sauce - or just chicken salt, or salt and vinegar), and I don't eat hot dogs or nuggets.
But tomato sauce on sausage rolls or a cheap pie like 4n20 or sargents is the done thing.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

I microwave sweet potatoes

Despite loving tons of other bitter liquors (jager, chartreuse, underberg, absinthe, etc) I don't understand vermouth, amaros, or fernet and my trendy friends who drink them and insist they like it are lying

I don't really 'get' chocolate

imo, bok choi sucks, and I try so hard to like it :(

I microwave potatoes too. Better than boiling them if you want to mash or par cook for roasting. Also corn. These two veg best cooked in the microwave.
I hate vermouth and I don't get chocolate - like I have it about 3-4 times a year and it's nice but I never feel the urge to go buy some.
bok choy is OK, I only buy it for a stir fry if I don't have cabbage and celery already. Makes sense buying a 80c bunch of bok choy over a whole head of cabbage and celery if you have nothing else planned to use up the rest of the cabbage and celery.

C-Euro posted:

This but bacon.
It's not a life changer and I don't lust to chuck it in everything. But I normally buy 1kg and split it up into 200g lots to keep in the freezer. That way if I'm out of ideas or ingredients I can quickly thaw it and make carbonara or tomato pasta. Or frittata, quiche, shakshuka, bean stew, or just a greasy breakfast with eggs. (E: although I have to make sure I also always have eggs, tomatoes and frozen spinach for most of these to work)

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 12, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

feedmegin posted:

Hi British person here. I guess I could see calling it tomato sauce? Because we don't have the US style 'tomato sauce' that's basically just pureed tomatoes in a can. The squeezy bottle in my fridge definitely says 'ketchup' on it though and I think that's the more common term.

In Australia we don't have the USA 'tomato sauce' for cooking. We call it the Italian names of "passata" for pureed tomatoes, and "sugo" for cooked down and flavoured tomatoes (sugo al pomodoro).
It kind of left the term tomato sauce open, so we called ketchup 'tomato sauce' just like we could have bbq sauce, chilli sauce etc.

If you buy heinz brand here it is labelled ketchup, but if you buy what used to be an Australian brand (masterfoods, fountain, rosella), it's labelled tomato sauce.
I grew up with rosella* brand tomato sauce and even if I'm using heinz labelled ketchup, it's tomato sauce to me as I know what passata and sugo is.

*e: You could probably put the whole misunderstanding on them. Rosella was huge here at one time http://www.rosella.com.au/about/ They called ketchup 'tomato sauce' and every other australian company since has followed.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 14, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Shows up on every recipe I've got, try searching some proper recipes. Otherwise it's pizza sauce or tomato pasta sauce. Ie, not tomato sauce on the pizza, just pizza sauce, likewise for pasta sauce.

E: You've never seen this at the shop? https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/250962/leggos-passata-sauce-sugo-di-pomodoro

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 15, 2017

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
I'm not cooking anymore.
I just opened a can of king oscar mackerel fillets in olive oil, poured all the oil over toast, and chucked on sliced tomato and pepper. It was an oily mess but needed to stretch out the flavour on 4 pieces of toast and not enough mackerel flesh to do that otherwise.
Next time though I'll try emulisfy the oil with some garlic, mustard and lemon juice (from the bottle these days naturally).
Can't be hosed cooking for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Scientastic posted:

I do that with anchovy oil as well, it's great

I went to fry some rice, celery and carrot last night. The ex had taken all the oil so I did it in anchovy oil from the empty jar left on the counter.
I went sardine shopping just then. I went to a specific shop that advertised brunswick for $1. They didn't have any left so I bought the woolworths one to compare to KO ($2.70-3.20), brunswick ($1.70-2.20), john west($2-2.50), black and gold($1.10) and safcol ($1.50). It's the last brand I want to try before I start buying boxes in bulk
They also had more sole mare brand mackerel half price $1.50

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 20, 2017

• Locked thread