Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't gamers a romcom? animegataris is pretty solidly a show about anime fandom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

dogsicle posted:

isn't gamers a romcom? animegataris is pretty solidly a show about anime fandom

Pretty much yea, though I didn't really care about the romance element much to be honest. Still, it did a good job investing you in to the love lives of a bunch of silly teenagers. I meant it more in that they're both comedies about fandom with similar school club premises and even some similarities in the characters.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thats cause its an incredibly generic premise

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Which doesn't stop inevitable comparison between things using that generic premise.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Anime-gataris is NOTHING like Steven Universe

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i feel like the shows going in totally different directions from a shared premise kinda makes the comparison unhelpful, but this is mostly based in disliking that a negative comparison was made based on very little

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, I haven't gotten beyond episode one in Anime-gataris yet, so I don't really know anything about it going off in a different direction. As is, it just seems like a decent, but not great comedy about anime fans and fandom set in a high school club. I'll try at least a few more episodes, but I finally started Gintama last night and I'm prefer to watch more of that really.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Well Just Because ended, not too much notable other than the audio black hole used in the very last post credits scene which was done pretty well, but overall I think anime (i.e. not KyoAni) was the wrong medium for this show.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

AnacondaHL posted:

Well Just Because ended, not too much notable other than the audio black hole used in the very last post credits scene which was done pretty well, but overall I think anime (i.e. not KyoAni) was the wrong medium for this show.

You get a sweet monorail outta it in anime form though

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh wait, I guess it already exists in Japan. Never mind then

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm still two eps back, and--I don't know. I really liked the first episode; it just nailed that odd, bittersweet atmosphere of your last days of school.

I don't think it ever reached the heights of E1 again, but it's still been a decent watch. I enjoy the characters, as frustrating as they would be in real life, because I knew people who acted like that in high school.

But yes, you get the sense that they wanted to be KyoAni but couldn't quite get there. A good effort though!

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Just Because first ep is one of the best things ever. It is wholly self-contained too. Nothing after was particularly necessary and I started feeling bad for it. Between it and As The Moon So Beautiful, Gamers! was the best hs romance show this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

I don't think it was very strong week to week, but the first episode was great and I got emotional at a few points in the last episode and really liked the finale overall. It may have a lot to do with my currently working in a Japanese school and looking ahead to graduation though, it's hecking bittersweet as gently caress.

• Locked thread