Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Wark Say posted:

I said it (or something like that) in the Summer thread: The premise is basically as if Oregairu and BakaTest had a baby, and at a glance, that seems ok. Sadly, said baby then grows up watching stuff like SAO or the Irregular at Magic High School and thinking "YES, THIS IS THE BE-ALL-END-ALL OF ANIME".

But seriously, it's an incredibly mediocre anime.

e: Grammar.
I only understand the second half of this post which furthers confirm my theory that this show is some weird black hole where it cannot be described or measured

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway with or without anime original stuff the source material of bbb is strong and i love the cast and most of the original staff minus matsumoto are here, so i'm gonna go into s2 with reasonably high expectations for it to be a stylish and fun ride

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

hot take but the anime original stuff in bbb owned even if it wasn't perfect and i would have liked it less if white wasn't in it because she was a really fun character who served a really interesting role in leonardo's arc

black wasn't a great villain on his own but the actual idea behind the anime original stuff in bbb was fine and led to some great scenes

:same:

BBB s1 was good in large part thanks to the anime original stuff and I'm glad it was in.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

hot take but the anime original stuff in bbb owned even if it wasn't perfect and i would have liked it less if white wasn't in it because she was a really fun character who served a really interesting role in leonardo's arc

black wasn't a great villain on his own but the actual idea behind the anime original stuff in bbb was fine and led to some great scenes

I only watched BBB recently and it was really surprising to me that White and Black were anime original. Leo was kinda introduced with his relationship with his sister being his driving point and everything but the only time it gets play is through the anime only plot since White is a pretty effective contrast and parallel with Leo's backstory and stuff. It fit in really well I thought.

The finale was weird and didn't quite come together for me but everything leading up to it was solid.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

I only understand the second half of this post which furthers confirm my theory that this show is some weird black hole where it cannot be described or measured
OK, remember Assassination Classroom / BakaTest and how they place students in classes according to how well they performed in the entrance exam with the best students in class A and the "defective" students are in Class E / F? Basically a way shittier version of that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Grouchio posted:

If this season of Kekkai Sensen can go on without any stupid anime original plots, we'll be golden.

I hate to agree with grouchio on something but :same:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the worst part of kekkai sensen is the anime original storylinethat the ova didn't have english subs until i checked just now

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

my most anticipated thing this season is the soundtrack to blood blockade battlefront & beyond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN5y2gwTc1U

Oh, since you might not have noticed, the soundtrack for Juuni Taisen (12 Wars) is being composed by Go Shiina. So that's something to look forward to, even if the show ends up bad.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I forgot that there was even a season of eccentric family recently because I watched the first episode and the looming threat of that horrible bird lady coming back made me not want to watch more.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Benten is good.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

dogsicle posted:

I'm very confused about what classroom of the elite is because it got featured in a sakuga reel for some intense hand-to-hand combat in a rainy forest

After watching the last episode, Classroom of the Elite was a perfect example of an potentially interesting premise executed very poorly.

Beginning: Give students points to spend on whatever they want, watch them go hog wild, they realize the points are not guaranteed monthly. What do?
End: They're still poor. Welp.

Beginning: Main girl gets verbally wrecked and nearly physically beat by her brother. She wants to advance in the school. Why?
End: "I want big brother to notice me."

And so on. I really wanted to like it, but even the twist in the end MC doesn't care about anyone just got a yawn from me.

Alpha Kenny Juan fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 29, 2017

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Benten is good.

Extremely :agreed:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Julias posted:

Oh, since you might not have noticed, the soundtrack for Juuni Taisen (12 Wars) is being composed by Go Shiina. So that's something to look forward to, even if the show ends up bad.
I have a weird feeling in my gut that show will be bad, but I'll trust Nisoisin

kater posted:

I forgot that there was even a season of eccentric family recently because I watched the first episode and the looming threat of that horrible bird lady coming back made me not want to watch more.
Benten is one of the best parts of eccentric family

having a strange relationship with an older woman who can kill you ftw. the protag of eccentric family is one of my favorites in recent memory

Sindai posted:

a good choice
:yeah: I was extremely surprised by the eccentric family after just watching on a pure whim bored one day

And since one person posted music, I like, have to be lovely and post the March Comes In Like A Lion op/eds cause I've been listening to them near daily since I realized that the second season was so soon, they probably won't mean much out of context, but im sorry i really liked this show

OP 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRWQckbQ9tQ
ED 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzAyrgSqeeE

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's ok because i like bump of chicken

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i eagerly await the YUKI op for next season of march lion, and if there isn't one then the show is dead to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YZZQm6cYPg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqErcB9qgks

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
good news YUKI's doing the OP for Season 2 and Brian The Sun is doing the ED
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...th-teaser-promo

The Colonel posted:

it's ok because i like bump of chicken
thank you friend

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kepp bumping that chicken.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
12 Wars is one of the few NisiOisin novels I haven't read and I'm kinda wondering if a 12 episode anime (4 hours and 48 minutes, on average) is the right thing to do. Of course, Kizumonogatari was a relatively short novel but the three movies in total have a running time slightly above 3 and a half hours, and yet it was still quite the ride.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think I remember reading that each episode is the POV of one of the 12 fighters so there might be some bleed over between fights and scenes

place your bets, im rooting for the horn guy and the ojou-sama looking lady

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What I like about Nisio is that he's not afraid of being what one of my lifelong friends calls a H.E.N. = Happy Ending Naysayer

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Didn't Nisio write Medaka Box? That has a happy ending.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think the fact that nisio isin writes a lot of things that don't have strictly happy endings is why he's a cool writer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if someone exclusively writes one kind of ending they lose their impact. a writer who mixes things up so that a given story could have any kind of ending is more fun.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

I think I remember reading that each episode is the POV of one of the 12 fighters so there might be some bleed over between fights and scenes

place your bets, im rooting for the horn guy and the ojou-sama looking lady

this would explain why the newest PV just focuses on the boar lady
between that having some really great choreography and animation, and this format ensuring we get some sense of everybody, i'm more optimistic about its chances

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Moltrey posted:

but im sorry i really liked this show

There is no need to feel sorry for really liking the best show of 2017, and also that show's OP/ED musics.

Seriously, anyone reading this who hasn't at least given March Comes in like a Lion a shot should really check it out. Even if you're not enthused with the premise of "Sad boy plays professional Shogi, and the awesome people around him slowly pull him out of his depressive headspace and help him become a Real Human Being", SHAFT has done such an impeccable job of adapting the award-winning manga that it's still worth watching just for the art, sound, directing, and voice acting.

I'm more excited about season 2 than anything else coming up. 16 more days.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Moltrey posted:

I have a weird feeling in my gut that show will be bad, but I'll trust Nisoisin

Yeah, that's why it's my risky pick, for sure.

Also maybe I'm in the minority, but I just kind of find bump of chicken's music...bland. It's not awful, but it just kind of isn't memorable at all to me.

I will be looking forward to the Brian and the Sun ED though, those guys rock.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bump of chicken's music isn't the best ever rhythmically but i like it in like game and anime ops cause the lyrics tie into the story of the main work in a way that is cool to me

i really like their op for blood blockade battlefront cause the translated lyrics are basically just shouting the entire message of the show and gently caress it i like that

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's a mixed bag. I like a bunch of things about Nisio, but chief among them is that he seems like he's all for variety for the places his novels can go. Also, conversations between his characters. The endings his stories have often feel less like an asspull than some other authors. Like Katanagatari or the Okitegami Kyoko series. I'm hoping 12 Wars turns out good.

Bump of Chicken are pretty drat mellow as far as j-rock goes, but sometimes the mellowness works.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if someone exclusively writes one kind of ending they lose their impact. a writer who mixes things up so that a given story could have any kind of ending is more fun.

yeah this is why I like Jun maeda a lot, his endings are pretty varied

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

kater posted:

If you don't like Benten you'll probably like season 2.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I prefer Benten Alien Force.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sindai posted:

If you don't like Benten you'll probably like season 2.

If you like Benten you'll probably like season 2 also. Because I did.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Lots of stuff this season that I'm at least somewhat interested in.

Sequels: Umaru S2, Food Wars S3, Osomatsu S2, LL Sunshine S2, March Lion S2 (still need to finish season 1 for the last three though)
Comedy: Blend S, Urahara, Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara, Animegataris, Konohana Kitan
Fantasy: Children of the Whales, Ancient Magus' Bride, 12 Wars, Inuyashiki, Land of the Lustrous
Other: Kino no Tabi, Just Because!, Girls' Last Tour, King's Game
Surprise Hit of the Season: Two Car

I'll probably end up trimming the list based on what gets picked up by CR and/or the hype in this thread.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Mentat Radnor posted:

There is no need to feel sorry for really liking the best show of 2017, and also that show's OP/ED musics.

Seriously, anyone reading this who hasn't at least given March Comes in like a Lion a shot should really check it out. Even if you're not enthused with the premise of "Sad boy plays professional Shogi, and the awesome people around him slowly pull him out of his depressive headspace and help him become a Real Human Being", SHAFT has done such an impeccable job of adapting the award-winning manga that it's still worth watching just for the art, sound, directing, and voice acting.

I'm more excited about season 2 than anything else coming up. 16 more days.
Extremely This.

I feel the premise is def a hard sale on another SadBoy Who Learns To Be Happy Because Of Girl Feels Anime, but I honestly think Rei, the main character, is the best Sadboy in recent memory. In like Chapter 15 of a 100+ chapter manga/Episode 8 of a soon to be a 44 episode series he has the frequently delayed revelation that other people in his life struggle with things in their own life completely divorced from him and that he's not the center of the world. All of his anxieties feel completely valid and realistic I say as a person with anxiety, but Rei is consistently trying to find his path and better himself no matter his struggle. All the side characters are loveable and cool, with all of them trying to regain or maintain something in their constantly evolving lives and i love them all very much, even Kyoka

The anime was my first SHAFT anime I ever saw and :eyepop: wowzers bowzers its very good. I really want the manga to get licensed, I can't believe it hasn't yet I should probably read her other work, Honey and Clover, but honestly the anime is the superior work imo. please watch this very good show, it is my favorite anime of this year

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm going to watch the sadboy anime. Like eventually, hopefully before season 2.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my only complaint is that it took a few eps to really find a balance between rei's darker moments and the sometimes hyperactive comedy/lightness from other characters.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

dogsicle posted:

my only complaint is that it took a few eps to really find a balance between rei's darker moments and the sometimes hyperactive comedy/lightness from other characters.
That's interesting! I personally didn't feel that, but I can see that, probably from the character Nikiadou, who is extremely loud and goofy in a way that he seems like he's from a different manga at first and just at odds with everything Rei is about and maybe Momo, the youngest daughter who is really there just to say a cute line (they're both very good tho).

It spoke to me in a lot of ways I was not expecting and was blown away by so I can def see it maybe just not working for people if it's not for you, but I cannot ask people enough to try it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Moltrey posted:

That's interesting! I personally didn't feel that, but I can see that, probably from the character Nikiadou, who is extremely loud and goofy in a way that he seems like he's from a different manga at first and just at odds with everything Rei is about and maybe Momo, the youngest daughter who is really there just to say a cute line (they're both very good tho).

It spoke to me in a lot of ways I was not expecting and was blown away by so I can def see it maybe just not working for people if it's not for you, but I cannot ask people enough to try it.

yeah the first episode is really heavy with rei's depression and then i think the second introduces nikaidou, who comes crashing through rei's walls every time he appears. but i either acclimated or it did actually shift a balance somewhere and i enjoyed it a lot after that.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Moltrey posted:

Extremely This.

I feel the premise is def a hard sale on another SadBoy Who Learns To Be Happy Because Of Girl Feels Anime, but I honestly think Rei, the main character, is the best Sadboy in recent memory. In like Chapter 15 of a 100+ chapter manga/Episode 8 of a soon to be a 44 episode series he has the frequently delayed revelation that other people in his life struggle with things in their own life completely divorced from him and that he's not the center of the world. All of his anxieties feel completely valid and realistic I say as a person with anxiety, but Rei is consistently trying to find his path and better himself no matter his struggle. All the side characters are loveable and cool, with all of them trying to regain or maintain something in their constantly evolving lives and i love them all very much, even Kyoka

The anime was my first SHAFT anime I ever saw and :eyepop: wowzers bowzers its very good. I really want the manga to get licensed, I can't believe it hasn't yet I should probably read her other work, Honey and Clover, but honestly the anime is the superior work imo. please watch this very good show, it is my favorite anime of this year
Have you not watched Madoka or Monogatari or Zetsubou Sensei?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would assume they haven't, if they're saying they haven't watched any

• Locked thread