Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean... Courtney.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's one thing to be starving. It's another to be starving, dirty, without housing, and surrounded by relative strangers, all of whom must betray you and/or be betrayed by you at some point in the future, with a life-changing amount of money on the line. For many people, the sight of someone they love and unconditionally trust, after being in the above situation for 24 hours a day for a solid month or longer, elicits a strong emotional reaction.

I mean, can anyone ITT really cry on cue? That poo poo's hard.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think it’s more that they pick very dramatic people for these shows. Picking normal shlub #3572 to be on the show doesn’t really move the needle very much.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Invalid Validation posted:

I think it’s more that they pick very dramatic people for these shows.

Holy poo poo a reasonable hypothesis!

Some people do indeed get weepy after a short time apart from loved ones and I also imagine that every day there feels like a week somewhere else to that sort of person.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also don't forget there is actually very little to do there. Outside of finding idols you have food/lumber gathering, maybe snorkelling once in a while... and that's it outside of hanging out with the same people every day all day.

Being able to talk to even someone different that you won't have to worry about veiled conversations with must be a huge relief.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
No doubt the family visit is genuinely emotional but that wasn’t used in the original debate point.

Check out any day after a Tribal (during the reward?) and no matter what people will make the wildest shock face at seeing someone they never met had gotten voted out, for example.

They want those shots because they play well on television. They’ll get those shots.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

You goony motherfuckers. Try this: eat only rice for a week, and then film yourself eating a cheeseburger.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I think it would be out of character to picture myself breaking into tears at seeing a loved one. That's "not me." But I recognize that the Survivor situation is a unique combination of stresses and issues and I don't pretend to know how I'd react to them.

Last year for Lent I gave up meat and man, by Week 3 I was kind of a mess, just kind of hated eating, and think i teared up a few times at food commercials. 3 weeks on a Survivor diet and I suspect I'd be unrecognizable to myself.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I would never be able to do Survivor simply because I KNOW I'd be medevac'd. My metabolism is wildly fast; I can lose wait easily but can't really gain it. Just thinking of subsisting on that rice diet is terrifying. Also, :canada:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does anyone have links to old Survivor threads? I'm going through some of the best/worst seasons on Hulu (Nicaragua is hilarious, and holy poo poo @ what happens with Redemption Island in season 22)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Taint posted:

You goony motherfuckers. Try this: eat only rice for a week, and then film yourself eating a cheeseburger.

Every time there's a reward challenge that gives one person a ton of food all I can think is "have fun with your explosive diarrhea in an hour" :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

Every time there's a reward challenge that gives one person a ton of food all I can think is "have fun with your explosive diarrhea in an hour" :v:

I sometimes refer to the state of having wildly overeaten while waiting for the inevitable consequences "survivor full"

As in "how was the buffet?"
"Good, but I got survivor full like an idiot."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One also has to wonder how long that food's been marinating under the hot sun, or prepared in a lovely way.

I know a woman who has fasted for 30+ days multiple times, I keep telling her to apply to the show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Even these starving people universally attest that Survivor pizza is The Worst.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

oh yeah well i care about no one so I would invite the guy from down the street who once hit my car and left a note on it, and then I would use the opportunitiy to mock him on TV

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm going through the seasons in chronological order, and :lol: Panama, holy poo poo. Has there ever been a cast full of more weirdos? Even Aras, the "normal" one who everyone told me was boring, starts day 1 trying to get his tribe to do mystical yoga bullshit. He only seems normal because he's in the same tribe as Bruce, Courtney, and Shane loving Powers.

Also, Cirie is :perfect:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

oh yeah well i care about no one so I would invite the guy from down the street who once hit my car and left a note on it, and then I would use the opportunitiy to mock him on TV

Like when Coach invited his assistant coach? Didn't they do stretches together or something?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My only thing with family is that none of my immediate family is actually in good enough health or close enough to me to be logical for me to choose for one of those things so I always imagined I'd end up inviting a close friend and stand out for that reason. But other Survivors have done that before and its also not counting if I was dating someone at the time and invited them.

Also I'm never going to be on Survivor for many reasons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol imagine if you got onto Survivor and they asked you who your loved one was and you answered "i don't have one"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think someone in casting just gets fired if that happens.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

lol imagine if you got onto Survivor and they asked you who your loved one was and you answered "i don't have one"

"Duane Johnson. Make it happen."

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lone Goat posted:

they call this The Randy Bailey

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Bring back Cao Boy and Coach, in the same season, on the same tribe :getin:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

ok time to go on Survivor and have Randy as my loved one

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

ok time to go on Survivor and have Randy as my loved one

Survivor: Goats and Goons

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Big Taint posted:

Survivor: Goats and Goons

I'm both!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dan Foley? Is that you?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah and for the reunion didn't he just invite random fans or something? It's been awhile so might not have been him.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I remember that in an interview with him... or maybe it was a podcast that talked about him?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

CODChimera posted:

Yeah and for the reunion didn't he just invite random fans or something? It's been awhile so might not have been him.

He did.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Zesty posted:

I remember that in an interview with him... or maybe it was a podcast that talked about him?

He goes on Rob C's show frequently enough. They have a running gag where Rob says something innocuous, and Randy gets so butt hurt that he hangs up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just finished up Blood vs. Water last night, and I refuse to believe anyone thinks Redemption Island is cool or good. Like I would probably prefer to go there and be tested in duels for 30 days than play the social game. Other than that, good season.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

precision posted:

Just finished up Blood vs. Water last night, and I refuse to believe anyone thinks Redemption Island is cool or good. Like I would probably prefer to go there and be tested in duels for 30 days than play the social game. Other than that, good season.

Ozzy is that you?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lone Goat posted:

Ozzy is that you?

if i were any Survivor cast member, it would probably be Cao Boy :v:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Earlier in this thread I said the only thing that would make me want to watch Big Brother is a celebrity edition and it was poo poo'd as impossible.

Watching the Amazing Race tonight.... they just announced it! They won't say who is in it yet though, so it might still be rando "celebrities" like Bob Sagat's Barber or something

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
They've announced one houseguest I think?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

Earlier in this thread I said the only thing that would make me want to watch Big Brother is a celebrity edition and it was poo poo'd as impossible.

Watching the Amazing Race tonight.... they just announced it! They won't say who is in it yet though, so it might still be rando "celebrities" like Bob Sagat's Barber or something

They announced celebrity Big Brother like 4 months ago. Unless I'm missing something here

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The Bloop posted:

It's also only a 30 day Big Brother that they are running against the Olympics so who knows. It would be fun if the celebrity list was actual celebrities. But it will probably be some lame people that maybe had their name in the paper at one point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SalTheBard posted:

They announced celebrity Big Brother like 4 months ago. Unless I'm missing something here

Ok, I phrased it badly. I obviously don't frequent wherever they "announced" it first. I just learned about it from an ad.

Also, it was probably celebrity survivor that we decided was impossible, but whatever. I hope they have at least a couple "celebrities" I've even heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

The Bloop posted:

Ok, I phrased it badly. I obviously don't frequent wherever they "announced" it first. I just learned about it from an ad.

Also, it was probably celebrity survivor that we decided was impossible, but whatever. I hope they have at least a couple "celebrities" I've even heard of.

Oh ok my apologise! I missed where you said you don't watch Big Brother. It's going to be a fun distraction during the Olympics so I'm interested to see how it goes.

• Locked thread