Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

Regarding Simone getting scapegoated, I think this happens a lot with early boots because a lot of contestants treat it as a necessary way to protect themselves. At this point there hasn't been much time to prove oneself so any mistake is fair game for the team to jump on as a reason to vote the person out instead of themselves. It can be annoying sometimes (I think Kaoh Rong was like this, guy accidentally lost his water goggles?). As for Simone, I think she had a pretty weak start and the vote made sense, but who knows how she would have done later.

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, a look at the OP (which was apparently too hard for me to do the first time) says its Ali I'm talking about, who apparently isn't the Diversity Advocate.

It usually takes me until at least halfway through the season before I no longer have to click back and forth between the OP and current page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ali might be the winner all of us are waiting with bated breath for but not dare to pin all our hopes on.

I hope Ali stays in the game for a while and continues to be level-headed. I love watching her gameplay.

I was wondering why, during tribal, Ali seemed to act like she might not vote Patrick out? She said something about not wanting to judge Patrick on that one mistake as they could have done poorly even if someone else did the sack throwing; there's no need to dwell on the past; etc. I would like to see her explain, but my guess was that she was worried Patrick had the idol and so wanted him to stay confident about the votes. He sure did seem surprised ...

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's not getting stupid over this. Good.

I agree and have similar hopes for Jessica.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

bbf2 posted:

I could definitely see Jess turning on Cole and his loose lips sooner rather than later despite his emotional appeals.

It would be dumb of Jessica to trust Cole again, but maybe smart to pretend to. He might even believe it. Hopefully it won't be a situation where Jessica feels like she's kind of stuck with Cole just because they were friends in the beginning and on the same original team, so annoying when that happens. I like it when people manage to make new connections later in the season, I think this happened with Adam and Ken in the past?

STAC Goat posted:

There were 2 to 3 people in that tribe swap I legit didn't recognize. I'm still not entirely convinced this Roarke lady didn't just show up.

I had this same problem, of course. I remembered the name Roark but definitely not her face. The swap came far too early for me and I am so confused about what original tribe has what amount of numbers on what new team. Ugh.

Fast Luck posted:

She was in a dangerous spot landing on that tribe, so enthusiastically locking in with Ryan (and by extension Ali) makes her almost fully safe.

Does Chrissy still have that now-worthless idol? It would have been hilarious at some point she would show it to someone pretending that she has immunity but it would backfire because Ryan would recognize it. But I'm enjoying this alliance, and maybe they can still use that idol.

Also, this was posted (I guess accidentally, due to it being active) in the previous Survivor thread:

I know Joe said he's deliberately being ruthless, but is he also trying to be a villain? I don't know if it's editing or what but I sure don't believe that he predicted their vote based on having somehow "read" Ashley. It's easy for him to claim that after the votes are already read, and that sexist, patronizing addition was just unnecessary. He was going to play it for himself anyway (and would have been stupid not to).

At least it's flushed.

Fedelm fucked around with this message at Oct 20, 2017 around 02:36

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

So this crazy tribal happened all because Ben overheard his alliance at the well discussing whether to vote him out before or after Chrissy. And the final nail was when they clammed up as soon as he showed himself. Like they couldn't even continue talking and include him in the conversation.

Fast Luck posted:

Then you keep telling Ben he's a spy but vote him out for real sooner or later.

This would have been smart. I think "missed opportunities" was mentioned earlier in the thread, I guess this season is just full of them.

Also Lauren apparently left her extra vote back at camp?! Why? If she had used both votes on someone other than Ben then that other person would have been the next out. Vote splitting is a thing for a reason, I guess they got complacent about whether Ben had an idol he wasn't telling them about.

STAC Goat posted:

But presumably she made that decision to trust Ben back when she trusted him, internalized the expectation of reciprocity, and it became a blind spot.

That's a good explanation for what I just complained about.

I'm disappointed. But at least Lauren took responsibility for her mistake because seriously. Mike? He's been so high on his Chaotic Coconut act that I don't see why anyone would trust him with anything. I don't think he's particularly great at strategy either; like Joe, Mike is just a normal guy who is sick of being on the outs so he just does whatever wacko thing comes to mind because it's fun, and hopes it keeps him around another day.

Fast Luck posted:

The editors (annoyingly) didn't show us what led to everyone's votes going on Ben, but I'm thinking it might be because Ryan and Chrissy couldn't get Mike to come around. Might take a rewatch but I'm pretty sure I saw Ryan and Chrissy saying "Lauren" but that we didn't see the same from Mike.

I think it's possible that Mike, Ryan, and/or Chrissy weren't sure that the division between Ben and the rest of his alliance wasn't just another act, so maybe they thought that even if Ben had an idol, he felt safe enough to not play it. I mean Ben was acting pretty much the same way he was when he was being a spy.

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

I wasn't happy with any of the three and or the final vote, I can't respect a win that depended so much on others' repeated stupidity (and by a twist at the end), but the losses were deserved for having not kept Ben from finding the idols.

xbilkis posted:

The more I think about it, the more it sucks that Devon played a game in which:

Yeah I was rooting for Devon. He was one of the ones who stupidly didn't keep an eye on Ben, but I had respect for his superior social game and his move in voting Dr. Mike. He was the only one to not make that particular mistake voting Ben again, and it saved him. People need to stop believing they're safe/in control/etc.

At least the season was interesting for a while.

Also kind of funnysad that Ryan sent that advantage to Chrissy way back in the beginning of the season and then Chrissy brought him to final tribal (and they both lost). I wonder if Chrissy ever brought up that first tribal, where she kept quiet and didn't save Katrina? Bummed that the dead idol was wasted like Lauren's extra vote, so much potential there.

Zerilan posted:

Only good reality show I've seen that's used celebrity contestants was the Korean game show The Genius.

My fiance watches that show and told me that if this was The Genius then when Ben plays the last idol it would be revealed to have been Ryan and Chrissy's fake idol that they already planted for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

I don't think Survivor is "sacred". Its not a "sport" or anything to me. Its a TV game show and I don't have "respect" for that.

Easy dude. I simply like to see the best player win, even if it's on TV.

STAC Goat posted:

I don't "edit read" and get wound about "winner narratives" or stuff like that.

Funny, I tried really hard to follow your advice this season and not read too much into the edit, but after the last votes were read I was like "welp I guess STAC was wrong this time." There were a few nice fake-outs to throw me off, though.

Rick posted:

I'm not so sure that players should be getting some of the criticism they're getting for letting that idol run happen. The idea that you need to keep 24/7 watch on someone to stop them from getting an idol is not something I'm comfortable with.

I think it was Desi who emphasized at the final tribal, it was how many people against one? If Ben can stay up all night looking for an idol, then the alliance can at least try to take first, second, and third watch with Ben. And if he does grab an idol right in front of them, at least they would know he has it instead of just assuming that surely he can't have found another one after being left alone for hours.

• Locked thread