Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I missed the last few seasons of Survivor thanks to Playstation Vue not carrying CBS in my area for a while, but they finally carry it, and I'm back in. Not really much to say about this season so far as it's been a little dull, but then again most seasons are a little dull until the merge.

That said. I'm rewatching Cook Islands, and god drat, Candice is the very epitome of white privilege. Each time she was sent to Exile Island, I giggled with glee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Fun fact: her parents bought her a Cadillac Escalade for getting a 1600 on the SAT.

When she was a teenager, she definitely snuck one of her mom's wine coolers from the 4th of July party 2 years prior, thinking she was so bad.

Of course she grew up to be the woman to betray her alliance for a cute boy.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I had no idea any of the Villians were cute boys. Lots of cute girls though.

Right. She mutinied to be with Adam, who she hadn't been on a tribe with since day 7.

And yes, I'll never understand how she was considered a "Hero". Jeff really had to jump through a lot of hoops to justify that.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, Candice was blatantly a villain her first season and they could have easily just swapped her with someone like Danielle who was in the villains tribe for no reason.

Yeah, the audacity of that woman to blow up on Penner several times for being a rat that couldn't be trusted. He mutinied WITH her because he thought that they were in a tight alliance.

Fast Luck posted:

But I guess since she's a pretty blonde doctor she was a hero?

Hence my original argument that she is the epitome of white privilege.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
oh my god, I completely forgot she came back a third time.

oh my god, I just realized that she not only lives in my city, but she also works at the hospital where a lot of my friends also work.

oh my god, she named her son after a confederate general.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 7, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

AWarmBody posted:

I kind of lost respect for Boston Rob in Redemption Island, even though he won, because Natalie and Philip were total followers/goats. But I'm sure that doesn't count anyway, and that season was pretty blah overall.

That whole season was stacked in his favor, it was ludicrous. Easily one of the worst seasons in Survivor history.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rarity posted:

Ryan, is that an idol in your pants or you just pleased to see me? :heysexy:

This season reminds me of Gabon. Stupid people not playing the game very well but still managing to be quite entertaining as they do.

Thank you! I've been trying to figure out what has seemed so off about this season! I had missed the last couple of seasons so I was wondering if I had just maybe lost interest. But I had some time off recently and rewatched some older seasons of Survivor, and I had so much fun. Plus, after 35 seasons, I don't remember everything that's happened anymore. So, it's not that I'm not interested in Survivor anymore.

You're exactly right. It's a bunch of stupid people playing the game not very well. God drat it, somehow Susie made it to the final 3 in Gabon, and not even as a Goat.

But it's very strange, because they've all obviously seen previous seasons, because they keep talking in Survivor strategy language. But really it's like those chimpanzees who saw humans rinsing their food off in water, and now they also wash all of their food in water. They're doing it, although they don't know why.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Yeah, I've seen every episode so far this season, and each week I have to remember, wait, who is this again? Who is that? Wait, his name is Devon? I thought Devon was that other girl.

I missed the last two seasons prior to this. Should I go out of my way to try and watch them? The last one I saw was Survivor Kaoh Rong. Are the two seasons after that worth checking out?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PG was as good as she could have been in China and it's a very good season overall. You should watch it.

China is indeed great. It has a great winner (feel bad for his severe alcoholism today though), Courtney is hilarious, James going home in such an epic way, and GENRE BEAR.

quote:

I agree though. For seasons 13 and 14 when they went whole hog casting PoC, they relied heavily on recruits. I kind of wonder if there are just that many fewer who apply. It's a tricky deal for casting and I'd like to think that at least it's not intentional.

Have they stopped relying so heavily on recruiting? For a long time, there were a lot of people from LA whose job was "bartender", which was code for aspiring model or actor, because they got lazy and were basically going through central casting.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I think they're over relying quite so heavily on the mactors. I'm sure they generally use at least one or two, but, like, look at how many superfans we end up with. We've also been getting older casts (lol Roark :v: ). There's a certain point in life where getting famous for being famous just doesn't make sense anymore, you know? If you have a 40 year old still moving to LA and trying that poo poo, they'd only be cast as a punchline. People like Ben and Chrissy weren't cast to be punchlines.

Phew. Because the over reliance on mactors lead to a bunch of unmemorable seasons. I still can't believe there has been 35 seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blue squares posted:

Im gonna be really bummed when Probst is the next guy to get outed as being a sexual assaulter

He does have a history of dating contestants.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

AWarmBody posted:

I'm wondering if Survivor will ever pull someone from the game for being too emaciated/malnourished. Some people turn into skeletons in less than a month and it makes me wonder how they passed physical requirements to be on the show.

As someone who tends to like guys who are skinny and beardy, every season I inevitably develop a crush on a guy mid-game, only to see him at the reunion when he has shaved and put back on weight and be shocked at the fact that I once found him attractive.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
None of these people know how to strategize at all. It's a scramble every week.

Also, the idols are far too easy to find.

And Ben was a jerk to Chrissy. She asked him what happened, he was completely dismissive of her, and then acted incredulously when she didn't want to deal with him.

But it doesn't matter, because alliances will all shift again next week.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I'm curious if Ben is managing to poison the jury against himself even though he hits all the major check marks to be a winner?

He certainly has managed to burn each and every single person there, even though the producers keep on trying to give him the winner's edit.

It all depends on how things are going back at Ponderosa. Are people talking about great moves, or are they bitter against the people who voted them all out, a la the jury towards Kass.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The one move that I'm not sure why Lauren didn't think of would be to give Mike a fake seashell. There are hundreds of them out there and it's not like he would have memorized the exact one she had.

I suspect that's what Mike was thinking. Who the hell would fall for a fake immunity idol that was just a seashell? Never since the stick has an immunity idol looked so stupid and obviously fake. Except it was real. So I wouldn't be surprised if Mike thought he was just calling Lauren's bluff by throwing this "idol" in the fire, not realizing that it actually was an idol.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't really understand all the Chrissy hate. She's no less dumb or self-entitled than any of the other remaining players this season. If anything, she's been an underdog all season, which I'm always sympathetic towards an underdog.

I don't want her to win. But I don't understand why she gets so much vitriolic hate than any of the other morons playing this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

xbilkis posted:

I am like the no. 1 defender of unfairly maligned older women characters, and I can't fathom anyone not understanding why people hate Chrissy

I like her as a character but she's basically a tamped-down Kass minus the self awareness

Maybe it's because I tuned out most of the time for most of the season until recently because of how dull it was at the start. All I see now is a bunch of fools, no one more foolish than the other.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

then she got blindsided a second time and called it "inhuman"

The Chrissy hate was going on well before that. She was just blindsided by Ben, she asked him what happened, and he was completely rude and dismissive of her. I would be upset with him too.

STAC Goat posted:

and boasted about how much she wanted to get revenge for it by denying the guy time with his wife.

The guy just blindsided her, and was a complete rear end when she confronted him about it. Why would she reward him for all of that?

STAC Goat posted:

And yeah, she's only been an "underdog" for 2 weeks. 2 weeks ago the show started with her and Ryan gloating how they had the whole thing under control.

I remember the first few weeks where she was being threatened with being voted off her tribe simply for being one of the older ladies. Maybe she did have a few weeks where she was in the core alliance, but she didn't start that way, and she certainly isn't that way now.

She sort of reminds me of the ultimate older lady underdog, Kathy Vavrick O'Brien. Constantly being targeted, makes alliances where she needs to, and squeaks on by each week when a more obvious threat rears their head.

• Locked thread