Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That raises the question of who the gently caress is Stromfels

Really big shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Didn't Sigmar come back during the endtimes? And fought Archaon and stuff

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Captain Oblivious posted:

Most human gods that aren't Ulric and Sigmar are just mangled-in-translation elven gods in Warhammer. See also Mathlann and Manaan.

That or the old Nehekharan pantheon - when Nagash devours Usirian during the End Times, the Empire's god of death Morr is destroyed too, indicating they're the same.

Other Nehekharan deities have no clear counterparts among the other pantheons (like Pha'a and Usekph, who are hateful gods that control the Necrosphinxes) but definitely exist, as Nehekharan magic consists of prayers to invoke their gods rather than conventional spellcasting (and indeed, worked differently in 6th edition to reflect this).

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Randarkman posted:

I didn't use alot plagueclaws in my Queek army in game 1 (I did have them, I think I fielded 1 in his army for a while, I had other armies with 1-2 though). I find spamming a single powerful unit to be a very boring way to play this game.

Counterpoint : obliterating your own army on top of your enemy's every. single. battle. is hella skaven and fun.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ive played the Plaque of Sotek battle 3 times and 3 times the AI just didnt get involved. Sure thing guys I'll fight the Skaven 2-to-1 when they're packing censure bearers, ratling guns, hell pit aboms, and stormvermin!!

luckily my skinks are juiced as gently caress and ive got giant pissed off dinosaurs following me around. Dread Saurian got himself like 500 dead rats

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Randarkman posted:

Ooohh. Anyone played Empire yet with the new patch? More Skaven, Greentide, should have more fires to put out.

It's more annoying then not, unfortunately. Greentide is still squarely over there and there Skaven pop ups are mostly OPMs, so don't get up to much. They still spread a lot of corruption which the AI mostly ignores, so it's just a gently caress you, player thing and an added thing to do in the early game rush.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TheHoosier posted:

Ive played the Plaque of Sotek battle 3 times and 3 times the AI just didnt get involved. Sure thing guys I'll fight the Skaven 2-to-1 when they're packing censure bearers, ratling guns, hell pit aboms, and stormvermin!!

luckily my skinks are juiced as gently caress and ive got giant pissed off dinosaurs following me around. Dread Saurian got himself like 500 dead rats

AI allies always dissappoint.

Unless you're Grom and playing the final battle, in which the AI armies basically solo it for you (to be fair, I did have my level 38 troll hag out there dropping Purple suns like whoa, but I basically had 0 infantry commitment on my part.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Zore posted:

Like have people not played a Queek campaign where you go all in on Stormvermin and monsters? Because its hilariously fun and effective.
That was my first / at-release TWWH2 campaign. It was certainly better than starting game 1 as Chaos but every other race has been more fun for me.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Zore posted:

The Elven Goddess using her image to trick people?

Like no one is denying they were getting actual powers, it was just from a different source than they thought. Same with how all their male magic users just so happened to become servants in the Wood Elf court while the female ones get taught and spit back out to serve Brettonia instead of getting taught by the Lady.

Rygar201 posted:

The source of their power being real, just not what the suspect it is is a cool story I think

Captain Oblivious posted:

She's not fake, she's just an elven goddess rather than what they conceived of her as.

Most human gods that aren't Ulric and Sigmar are just mangled-in-translation elven gods in Warhammer. See also Mathlann and Manaan.

The problem with it literally just bieng an elven god raises is why doesn't the elven god provide bullet proofness to the elves? I understand the high elves are actively being dicked over by thier gods, but I don't think that's true for the wood elves, who would probably appreciate the ability to shrug off bieng shot.

Now obviously I'm wrong, but I interpreted the situation as having been set up by the elves to trick the bretonnians, but the absolute faith the brettonians put into the lady manifesting itself in ways the elves didn't know of or intend to happen. What they intended to be a sham was made real by everyone in bretonnia absolutely believing it to be true, effectively creating a real Lady.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

How's the Gladius game? Thinking about getting it on sale.

I already have all the TWWH DLC barring the last one (and that's because I'm holding back on updating because of mods), so I don't necessarily expect it to be as good or anything.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Ammanas posted:

lmao i literally forgot tretch exists, cuz he sucks and is lame

Firmly in the “why would you do this to yourself” camp alongside Khatep

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I tried Gladius out and it felt a bit shallow, like a stripped down Civ 5 with 90% of its focus on combat.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there something that stops mods from letting any race draw the sword of Khaine? Morathi controls Ulthuan in my current game so if I want to steal it with Nakai or Kroq-Gar do I have any options beyond starting a war and crossing my fingers? The AI drew it once this game and clearly should have kept it out because the High Elves are all gone now.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Definitely the worst start on the ME map - shoved in a corner, no access to a port for ages, sandwiched between Morathi and Tretch. As Tehenhauin at least Lustria might go to poo poo in your favour.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Feb 13, 2021

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I kind of wish the Total War games had smaller campaign options, like 2/3 of the map or half of it or something as an option.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

I waited for the second round and was able to get the black dragon around T35. I bee lined to taking out Snitich on T8, which would have helped, but the province grows so slowly and Imrik is such a high upkeep army that it still took a while to get rolling. T50 or so I have got Karaz-A-Karak but Barak Varr of all people have come though the southern pass to break up my control of the Wolf Lands and my second stack of all sea guard isn't cutting it to take the province back. Imrik is up to 5 dragons total (self, Mikalea, the starting, plus the special black and moon), and that is quite fun.

Thanks! So I guess I just got incredibly unlucky because I’ve gotten the star dragon fight as my first two dragon encounters, and pre turn 30 I don’t think I can take him. Why do they let you roll him twice in a row, as your first fights? Why the heck is it purely random when this fight is much harder than the others (and clearly meant as the final one)? Any recs for beating the star dragon fight early as imrik, with mostly spearmanii and archcers

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah Tretch and Ghorst were the two weirdest additions

the fact that you didn't even mention alberic is pretty funny

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

In his defense, Trecth has a fun starting position if you just wanna kill pointy ears yes-yes.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Got my first ever long campaign victory with Grom since he's got actually reasonable requirements for it, only took me 115 turns:

Last 15 turns was just figuring out what 5th capital to take for that criteria while I mopped up the remaining few regions on Ulthuan and then getting my armies over that way. Would be nice if taking the whole donut would qualify just as well as taking 5 specific faction capitals.

It was a fun game - I had my way with Bretonnia to basically no resistance for the first 40 or so turns, then went north and beat up the Empire for a bit, but ran into Vlad and Mannfred instead who had already captured Altdorf. I was like 'well might as well grab Ulthuan then' and started heading over, but then both the vamps declared war on me so I ended up fighting on two fronts. That went ok after a slightly slow start, I nabbed a few provinces from the vamp lads until they were ready for peace and finished up. Then I just cleaned out the donut, and finally went for the Wood Elves. Grimgor spent most of the game at #1 or #2, but I literally never ran into him on the map. Ikit was being a weirdo the whole campaign, but luckily never declared war on me. Neither did the dwarves - I spent the last like 50 turns basically surrounding Clan Angrund on 3 sides, but they didn't give a poo poo so neither did I. Dark Elves loved me, Norsca didn't like me but didn't dare to declare war, nobody else really interacted with me - I was missing one reagent at the end, the lizardmen one, as I never went near any lizards.

I had pretty diverse armies compared to my previous few campaigns, Doom Diver and Idol or Arachnaroc core, with either Goblin Archers + trolls or mixed orc/goblin infantry for support. At one point I clowned on some HE halfstacks by recruiting a random lord and 19 lava spider rider regiments of renown - turns out 95% fire resistance is quite nice against generic phoenixes they love to bring as their hard-hitters!

Was Hard/Normal, thinking of doing VH/Normal next time but PO-penalties feel very tedious mid-game. Early on you can use them for farming and cover all your provinces anyway, late all the bonuses + having walls everywhere makes them low risk, but it's such a pain mid-game.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 29, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Are the higher level weapons from the black arks worth getting / upgrading to? I've never really upgraded them much

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Whorelord posted:

the fact that you didn't even mention alberic is pretty funny

Alberic is probably lore weird, but he made sense for the game in the context of the time as "person that we can put on the WH1 map without having to put much effort into". He also has a pretty nice/easy campaign, it's not murderously hard like the other dudes mentioned.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Flipswitch posted:

I kind of wish the Total War games had smaller campaign options, like 2/3 of the map or half of it or something as an option.

The new vortex campaigns are basically this

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Zzulu posted:

The new vortex campaigns are basically this
Yeah, it's definitely a welcome addition, I wouldn't mind one that's half of that again either if I fancy trying a new race without omitting to a big campaign.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Guess whos hosed?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The Beastmen mini-campaign in the first game is the best Total War campaign I've ever played.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Guess whos hosed?

:stonk:

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Truecon420 posted:

Thanks! So I guess I just got incredibly unlucky because I’ve gotten the star dragon fight as my first two dragon encounters, and pre turn 30 I don’t think I can take him. Why do they let you roll him twice in a row, as your first fights? Why the heck is it purely random when this fight is much harder than the others (and clearly meant as the final one)? Any recs for beating the star dragon fight early as imrik, with mostly spearmanii and archcers

Ok i just steamrolled him with imrik on his dragon and mostly spearman/archers. I apologize for being a babby I guess I just needed a dragon’d up imrik. The rewards for it are ridiculous, regeneration, 20% ward save item. Loving his campaign

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Truecon420 posted:

Ok i just steamrolled him with imrik on his dragon and mostly spearman/archers. I apologize for being a babby I guess I just needed a dragon’d up imrik. The rewards for it are ridiculous, regeneration, 20% ward save item. Loving his campaign

Yeah I've beaten every dragon with imrik and some sea guard

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Guess whos hosed?
Them, because you put lightning strike on all your dudes and stayed on the attack?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What does Tretch even do?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Them, because you put lightning strike on all your dudes and stayed on the attack?

I wish. They're like level 4 lords, freshly recruited.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Guess whos hosed?

How did it come to this?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SuperKlaus posted:

What does Tretch even do?

Survive mostly.

He's by far the Skaven's worst overall Lord choice. Even the generic Lords have better combat or magic over him.

What he does have is a nearly unrivaled ability to run away and escape bad situations

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
By the way, the Everchosen tournament is going on this weekend on the official Total War twitch. If I remember right there's some actual money on the line, it's sponsored by CA.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

I wish. They're like level 4 lords, freshly recruited.
Got walls? By not controlling a large army you might win if you can beat back their initial force and make their reinforcements trickle in. If you have the cash pick up a(nother) casket of souls ASAP.

What's the settlement's layout?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I would like for some more quests, lord dialogue and cinematics in Total Warhammer 3. Unique lord quests with unique battle scenarios are way too few and far between in this game

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zzulu posted:

I would like for some more quests, lord dialogue and cinematics in Total Warhammer 3. Unique lord quests with unique battle scenarios are way too few and far between in this game

Snikch's homage to the Thief series is pretty great.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Believe it or not but Tretch is actually a crazy good campaign and melee Lord, it's just not obvious and is an admittedly flavorless numbers-numbers-numbers approach. But +Ambush, +Melee Aura, +Melee on Ambush, +Melee on baiting VH AI all go really far in the campaign. His base defense and survivables are bananas as well. On the more fun side of things his starting elites are really slick. Honestly he is a better front-line/Skaven melee army gimmick guy than Queek, as Queek just encourages you to have a stack of Stormvermin and to do "haha LL go brrrr" tactics. Tretch will have his entire front line swinging two tiers above their weight class before his good aura.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
What should I do with Ungrim? I feel like starting war with Sylvania isn't going to serve me well if Karaz a Karak are left to potentially die. They seem like they're on the ropes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Depends on the size of Sylvania, smashing their two starting provinces is a viable route to the Badlands. Just keep a close eye on Thorgrim's settlements. If the campaign has just started there are at least 2-3 other Dwarf subfactions that Grimgor will be krumpin' in the same area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Randarkman posted:

Yeah. I actually thought Skaven worked perfectly well at launch to be honest.

People have always slept on Death Globe Bombadiers for some reason but they were ridiculous and still are ridiculous. They'll shred infantry so much quicker than Ratlings and they don't give a gently caress about line of sight. Incredible on the streets of a siege as well, which is a place where Ratlings do nothing. They're also the best unit in the game at annihilating your own rats which is very on-brand.