Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So in my VC game, I'm pretty sure I made a pact with the devil. After the Dwarfs confederated my good ally Ungrim, I started pushing into the mountains in earnest while holding off the various non-Reikland Empire factions with tons of chaff skeleton armies. As I neared Mt. Gunbad after killing Ungrim several times (holy poo poo does he murder helsteed vampires) I saw Grimgor coming up from the other way with about 5 stacks and realized that he was second in strength, so made peace with him (not even sure why I was at war tbh). Now, Franz and 5-6 stacks are just hanging out raiding my northern border and I'm waiting for them to declare on me and take a whole province all at once. Right now, it looks like several rocket batteries, 5 or six steam tanks, several mortars, and a whole mess of demigryphs and greatswords against Vlad, a vampire, 2 mortis engines, and 16 skeletons while my blood dragon and Isabella run over that way hoping he can keep them from declaring war until they get there. If they can, though, it'll be one hell of a giant battle.

Also I need to fortify the gently caress out of Mt. Gunbad and hope Grimgor doesn't come after me from that way because I certainly have no way to reinforce it from where I am now. Nor the cash to do so tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Southpaugh posted:

SSD will make an enormous improvement, it'll be like night and day seriously.

What sort of advantages am I looking at with an SSD over an HDD apart from faster load times?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

What sort of advantages am I looking at with an SSD over an HDD apart from faster load times?

it will make a pretty massive difference in load times and not much else. that being said, of your options for upgrading this will be the cheapest option which will have the greatest effect on your enjoyment.in my opinion.

i would also consider upgrading your CPU which would help with framerate since the game is so CPU intensive.

your GPU is pretty good and honestly its basically impossible to find better ones than the 1070 at a reasonable price right now.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

no one should play pc games without an SSD. it is *the* quality of life improvement

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Agreed. SSD load time decrease is the biggest change.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

+1 for get an SSD.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guess I should start looking at them then. Newegg seems to have some good 2TB drives for under $400.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Once I got an SSD and the optimization patch came out, I could no longer read books on the side while playing Warhammer. It was that fast of an improvement.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

imrik vortex campaign. turn 10 or something. get folarions robe - -50% weapon strength... but 50% phys resist. wish i had this in my gor rok campaign lmao

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

albany academy posted:

imrik vortex campaign. turn 10 or something. get folarions robe - -50% weapon strength... but 50% phys resist. wish i had this in my gor rok campaign lmao
Oh I love that thing. slap it on a mage to turn them into an amaing tarpit.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah some items are nuts. You can basically create immortal lords with the right stuff.

Just send them into the entire enemy army by themselves and have them soak damage for the entire fight. The AI is usually too dumb to not fall for the bait either

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Until the changes came to Wurrzag, pretty much no army that relied on magic attacks could do anything against Harkon. As it is, he's still a tough fight even without his insane magic resist.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
NVME's and SDD's are probably the biggest deal maker in gaming currently, it improves loading so much that once you get use to it you can't go back.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've come to realize I like Lizardmen not just for giant dinosaurs as giant dinosaurs, but because their giant dinosaurs are readily distinguishable even when I'm zoomed out and taking a strategic view of the battle. So many other factions have fights where I just feel like I'm watching specks mosh with other specks or maybe shoot grey lines at specks, but with Lizards I can see my cool stuff fighting and smashing while still keeping an eye on the bigger picture. I even like Nakai as a lord just for being huge.

What other faction should I play for lots of Really Really Big Men?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SuperKlaus posted:

I've come to realize I like Lizardmen not just for giant dinosaurs as giant dinosaurs, but because their giant dinosaurs are readily distinguishable even when I'm zoomed out and taking a strategic view of the battle. So many other factions have fights where I just feel like I'm watching specks mosh with other specks or maybe shoot grey lines at specks, but with Lizards I can see my cool stuff fighting and smashing while still keeping an eye on the bigger picture. I even like Nakai as a lord just for being huge.

ORCS ORCS ORCS

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Tomb Kings, Vampire Coast, Vampire Counts. Lots of power curve made by their monstrous units, even though Coast is a gunline faction. Norsca gets a big power leap with mammoths, Throgg can go heavy on trolls. The Beastmen end game is Minotaurs and Cygors but that involves playing Beastmen early game.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 12, 2020

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SuperKlaus posted:

I had a run of Grimgor recently that eventually crescendoed into a hyper-Waaagh against the Dwarves with each of my four stacks having a frontline of black orks and black ork big bosses, an orc shaman and river hag, a handful of doom drivers and four araconoks, and it was fun as hell

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SuperKlaus posted:

tomb kings x100000

you still have some specks, IE skeletons but they are well represented as specks because they are total trash

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 12, 2020

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dammit, I want a mod where Skryre can spend Warpfuel on upgrading individual units. Make it so that the Workshop items you can unlock are instead upgrades for that unit type that you use Warpfuel on individual units for. No, I don't see the problem with more Skryre power creep,

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Dammit, I want a mod where Skryre can spend Warpfuel on upgrading individual units. Make it so that the Workshop items you can unlock are instead upgrades for that unit type that you use Warpfuel on individual units for. No, I don't see the problem with more Skryre power creep,

Pretty sure someone's working on this. Most factions out there have some kind of appropriation of the scrap system. I know the VCounts have one using a combo of money and blood kisses to power up units that I'm looking to steal since now I have all of these blood kisses lying around. And someone had one using authority for Empire, iirc, mostly themed around officer upgrades I think? So if it's not there already, I'm sure it will be soon.

I've also seen a few mods stealing the Cauldron mechanics. I know Queek has one and one's set as the Altdorf zoo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

No one dares talk poo poo about you being a weeb if first you build a reputation as a master assassin.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Uh tomb kings have some great monsters but they don't come easy and there are caps on all the fun units.

Unlike say, Norsca who can fart out ice trolls, ice dragons, three types of mammoths AND armored werewolves

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Eimi posted:

No one dares talk poo poo about you being a weeb if first you build a reputation as a master assassin.

Eshin learned their assassination skills from Warhammer Japan, they're goddamn weebs.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Uh tomb kings have some great monsters but they don't come easy and there are caps on all the fun units.

Unlike say, Norsca who can fart out ice trolls, ice dragons, three types of mammoths AND armored werewolves

Also don't forget to get the mod that lets you recruit defeated Monster Hunt units as RoR's.

Add a Dino and a Big Rat to your Mammoth herd.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
For VC, the Cairn Wraiths still seem like rear end. Are Hexwraiths actually worth bringing?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

For VC, the Cairn Wraiths still seem like rear end. Are Hexwraiths actually worth bringing?
I think both VCount ethereal units are great. As Kemmler i would take both of his starter units over any other type of VCount infantry or cav (accounting for cost). The Hexwraiths get me hundreds of kills every early battle.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Eshin learned their assassination skills from Warhammer Japan, they're goddamn weebs.

They went to Warhammer Japan to be weebs first. Assassins second, and that's just so they could take care of their bullies.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

While you were slamming warpstone into everything and hoping it works, I was studying the blade, yes-yes.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Eimi posted:

They went to Warhammer Japan to be weebs first. Assassins second, and that's just so they could take care of their bullies.

*teleports behind you* Nothing personal-personal, man-thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Welp, I think a glitch might have ruined my SFO campaign. I confederated Yvresse in my SFO Tyrion playthrough, and Eltharion's character info says he should have the talisman of hoeth, but the item doesn't seem to be anywhere. And without the talisman Eltharion doesn't get half his stuff.

(and for the record, I didn't inherit the quest for it when I confederated him either. He was wounded when I confederated, maybe that borked something)

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 12, 2020

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think both VCount ethereal units are great. As Kemmler i would take both of his starter units over any other type of VCount infantry or cav (accounting for cost). The Hexwraiths get me hundreds of kills every early battle.

Ethereal units are either amazing or complete rear end depending on the makeup of your opponents army and how much magic and/or magic attack units they have. Cylostra is pretty fun for taking advantage of it with her ghost paladin and highly buffed syreens.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

Well, 60ish hours total playing time over the last few weeks in and I beat a Vortex campaign. Did Kroq Gor on Normal, still pausing and playing on slow a lot during battles, and I autoresolve most really lopsided battles (for or against me). On my third try with him I got an early sacred Carnosaur spawn, and another 10 turns later, and that gave me a 20 stack that pushed me through a lot of the early game. Still reloaded a few failure states, and also when my guys couldn't make it to an enemy I thought they could.

I lined my lords up wrong for the final Skaven push, had a guy with mostly skinks + Krox defending the golden pyramid chokepoint on the map (Kroq Gar was up rampaging through High Elf land to stop their ritual, even captured their capital for the last 40 turns) and barely got a fresh dino army there as support when three level 40 Skaven lords hit the golden pyramid. It was a pretty epic battle, as a couple of other lords hit the same site a couple turns earlier so there was still a big hole in the wall, and reinforcements from both sides kept coming, with my Carnosaurs finally appearing after my lines started to take serious casualties and turning the tide against the big Skaven monsters and war machines that appeared at the end. The final battle was a bit anticlimactic after that, since Kroq had an absurd army. Also had fun earlier with a 11-stack of laser dinos + guards that I had defend my capital at the end, unnecessarily.

Learned a bunch of stuff in the last 20 turns that would have probably cut the turn time by a third to a half, like how to use heroes, and in the last 10 turns I realized that Star Chambers (+2 starting hero levels) are absurd and dismissed several level 10 dudes to immediately give Kroq a couple level 26 Carnosaur riding Saurian heros on literally the last turn. Abusing stuff like that (and the rituals, which I also barely used) will make my next playthrough a lot easier.

I bought the first game for Mortal Empires before the Steam sale ended. Now to try something out there, what should I do next?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

I want to see a mod that makes skaven capybara instead of rats.

Actually better yet a whole new order aligned faction of capy men that are skavens nemesis. They're noble and selfless warriors, complete gender equality, and they have cute little hats and ride giant capybara into battle.

The Old Ones were capybara people, which is why so many of their creations hang out in the equivalent of South America. They became Skaven with the coming of Chaos.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Dr Christmas posted:

The Old Ones were capybara people, which is why so many of their creations hang out in the equivalent of South America. They became Skaven with the coming of Chaos.

It is a testament to how weird Warhammer lore is that I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

According to the 2e Skaven RPG book, it was a renegade of an 'older species' called 'The Shaper' who put the bell on top of the tower and caused the Skaven.

Imagine the one evil capybara in existence.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's never really been any direct descriptions or art of the Old Ones in either fantasy or 40k, right? Just the assumption that the Slann were made in their image?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Arcsquad12 posted:

Guess I should start looking at them then. Newegg seems to have some good 2TB drives for under $400.

You should hit up the PC building thread for advice. You can get 2 1TB drives for a hundred dollars less. These are pretty good, and have been for years now, EVO 860.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mordja posted:

There's never really been any direct descriptions or art of the Old Ones in either fantasy or 40k, right? Just the assumption that the Slann were made in their image?

I don't think so? We don't have a clue how they looked like, so grandpa super toads is as good an assumption as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

in the early lore of warhammer 40k they had Old Ones who were called the Slann, who looked like this:

i think they got retconned out of existence though once warhammer 40k stopped trying to be a direct space adaptation of fantasy. now the Old Ones in 40k are much more ambiguous.

orcs and gobbos might still be the 40k orks though, because they were introduced to the fantasy world as spores that got stuck on the outer hull of an old one spaceship that came through the warp gates.