Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh, I was specifically talking about multiplayer.
Oh whoops, sorry, no idea about MP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Woodelf Spearmanii

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mordja posted:

Woodelf Spearmanii

They already have some of the best spearmanii cause ap t1 spears are really strong.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Thank you to whoever posted that Victory Conditions Overhaul mod, I just restarted my Empire campaign just because of that mod.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Literally just Triarii from Rome 1. They don't even do anything other than shout "TRARII!" in a flat American accent.

The perfect unit, every year, all the years. :allears:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Do there is one WE called Orion and one called Oreon? :psyduck:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

It's easy to tell them apart: One is Mel Gibson and the other is a goddamn cookie.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cardiac posted:

Do there is one WE called Orion and one called Oreon? :psyduck:
Apparently, yeah, so I'm really hoping they dont add the cookie variety with this next DLC.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Literally just Triarii from Rome 1. They don't even do anything other than shout "TRARII!" in a flat American accent.

The perfect unit, every year, all the years. :allears:

Hands down my favorite unit in Rome TW. So goddamn useful. They could take anything 1v1

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deliberately delaying the Marian reforms to get more triarii.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm playing Alith Anar for the first time and holy poo poo is he OP as gently caress. High Elf armies with stalk stance factionwide is loving ridiculous. Any enemy army caught in the open is almost a guaranteed successful ambush.

edit: and forgot to mention his shadow paths mechanic for all his armies as well.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Aug 6, 2020

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
A dude over on youtube did a deep dive into old Wood Elf poo poo to get ideas and speculate. He said a lot of what came up here like the beastmaster units and the chariot (that apparently also had stag or unicorn options) but also a really old shapechanger unit. That'd be pretty neat, but hard to implement I imagine.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Mustang posted:

I'm playing Alith Anar for the first time and holy poo poo is he OP as gently caress. High Elf armies with stalk stance factionwide is loving ridiculous. Any enemy army caught in the open is almost a guaranteed successful ambush.

edit: and forgot to mention his shadow paths mechanic for all his armies as well.

Doesn't one of his skill trees also have a ranged damage buff to all armies? Dude's bananas.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Didn't the Wood Elf god that's been moonlighting as the Bretonnian's Lady of the Lake end up with a ton of ghost knights in the End Times? Just imagine the WElves with ethereal heavy cav, it'd be hilarious.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
So, how do people ITT like to equip their Saurus squads?
I know AP is important, but I'm finding that poison rounds and extra armour are more useful unless I know Sectopods are gonna be on the field

XCOM 2 mod. Surprisingly well done at that, they're fully animated and everything

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Whoa that looks kick rear end.

NevilleBamshoe
Feb 19, 2013
Quick question for you Warhammer 2 masters.

I am playing Settra on mortal empires and have pretty much taken all of the south east of the map by turn 180 or so. Reikland though have been confederating everything that looks vaguely humanoid for a while now and pretty much controls everything north east. They are also allies with the elves and dwarfs. Both Reikland and the elves are quite a bit stronger than me.

Now currently my attitude towards Reikland and their allies are positive and I have managed to ally the dwarfs but I still get the feeling either Reikland or the elves will decide fuckit and and come for my dessicated rear end in the near future.

My question is will the elves or Reikland attack regardless of my standing with them if I am not military allies? What if I am allies with one of their allies?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

NevilleBamshoe posted:

I am playing Settra on mortal empires and have pretty much taken all of the south east of the map by turn 180 or so. Reikland though have been confederating everything that looks vaguely humanoid for a while now and pretty much controls everything north east. They are also allies with the elves and dwarfs. Both Reikland and the elves are quite a bit stronger than me.

Now currently my attitude towards Reikland and their allies are positive and I have managed to ally the dwarfs but I still get the feeling either Reikland or the elves will decide fuckit and and come for my dessicated rear end in the near future.

My question is will the elves or Reikland attack regardless of my standing with them if I am not military allies? What if I am allies with one of their allies?

Alliances don't mean much to the AI factions. Sooner or later, one of them (potentially even your dwarven allies) will declare on you. Once one does, the rest will immediately or soon after. You've sorta got four options, as I see it.

1. Decide you've won and stop playing when you get tired of doing whatever it is you're doing on the ME map. This is the traditional method of ending an ME campaign.

2. Wait for what is typically described as the "Ordertide" where the alliance of Order factions all declare war on you, then invade your territory with endless swarms of armies. Usually when this happens you either get wiped out quickly or resist the initial invasion and then quit after you realize that the rest of the game will be destroying 4-5 stacks of assorted Order armies every turn.

3. Go for the brute force option and launch a major pre-emptive invasion against the Empire or into Ulthuan. Ultimately, I think this would fail in the sense that it would get bogged down and stall out. Allying the dwarves was likely a mistake, as they'd be the best target for a pre-emptive strike. If they can be crippled or eliminated, you can push armies up through the badlands into the Empire, while maintaining relatively small forces in the desert to defend against stray elves that likely won't come anyway. With the dwarves active, they represent a constant threat to you that could come into play at any moment, even if they are ostensibly your allies.

4. Attempt diplomatic shenanigans. This probably won't work, as the diplomacy system isn't great. You could join into a war against one of the dangerous Order factions with an existing faction at war with them. This would allow you to enter into conflict with a single one of them without immediately disrupting any treaties or alliances. If you do this, though, you'd need to act quickly. If, for example, the dwarves were allied to the Empire, and you piggybacked into a war on the Empire through an offer to join with a Skaven faction that was fighting against the Empire, the dwarves wouldn't immediately break their alliance with you, but they wouldn't like what you were doing and it would eventually fall apart. If you do this, make sure you have everything in place to deliver a decisive attack on your enemy. You could also try to break down relations between the Order factions, but that's highly unlikely to work unless Archaeon has already been defeated and they've got almost nobody else to beat on but each other. As long as you exist, they'd probably rather fight you than each other, though.

Edit: Option 5, which is what I would probably do if I were going to try and play out the scenario - use your military alliance with the dwarves to position your armies to completely cripple them in a handful of turns. Betray them, but park powerful armies at key points throughout, take Eight Peaks, Black Crag, and Karaz a Karak on the first turn of the betrayal. Aim to secure the badlands and adjacent mountains within a handful of turns, maybe 6-10 at most. Use that brief window to set up walls and get public order under control. Set up defensive lines at Barak Varr and Karaz a Karak. Are the Brets still around? Some defenses on the coast to defend against elves and Brets would be good, too. If the elves have established control over the western continent, they'll potentially come at you with huge numbers of armies. If they haven't, they might ignore you. Push at least two strong armies up the right side of the map through the mountains. Once those two have made good progress, send the army you have defending Karaz a Karak up through Death Pass into the Empire. At turn 180 with Tomb Kings, I'd imagine you have a lot of armies. Ideally you'd have at least three strong armies available to conquer the Empire, one coming from the south and heading west along the bottom edge of the Empire's territory, one coming from the mountains around Zhufbar and striking into the center of the Empire, and one coming from the northern end of the mountains and securing Kislev and Erengrad.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 6, 2020

NevilleBamshoe
Feb 19, 2013
Ok cool thanks that makes sense. Looks like the best option is to go back a few turns and join the orcs and skaven against the empire/dwarfs instead of the other way around. At least this will give me a buffer against them.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
VH/N short Chaos campaign done, 136 turns and last of them was hunting down the last Brettonia settlements down in Araby. The armies gets a bit samey since there is literally no reason to go anything other than chosen + whatever speedy unit you want to catch archers, but it was a nice and chill campaign. Spent the start bonking marauder heads and getting some vassals going, they lasted almost the entire game actually, drawing attention and burning random settlements/killing armies. Headed down with three stacks and murdered all surviving empire factions, letting the vampires settle in my wake.

Killed of Reikland without to much issue, Brettonia was the same except for a few close battles where they surprised one or 2 of my stacks with 3 of their own, but managed to win them and they where fun fights!

In the end I had 6 full stacks of chosen and assorted extra units for some variation, thinking about murdering the dwarfs or elves next if I feel like it, or might start a Norsca campaign for that sweet norsca achievment. Compared to the beastmen campaign, I had more fun with them in battles and the sneaking around is fun on campaign map, but Chaos horde growth is so much better that starting new stacks is much easier and faster.

edit: Oh and chaos don't have upkeep penalties for more stacks either, also unlike beastmen

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ripper Swarm posted:

So, how do people ITT like to equip their Saurus squads?
I know AP is important, but I'm finding that poison rounds and extra armour are more useful unless I know Sectopods are gonna be on the field

XCOM 2 mod. Surprisingly well done at that, they're fully animated and everything

These are sick, and I was just thinking the other day how to kitbash to make 40k Lizards. Using this as a ref :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The lack of space rats and lizards is one of the biggest failures of 40k :colbert:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Zoats are back! Well, one Zoat anyway. kinda.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Same with Squats, yeah. Necromunda added a Squat bounty hunter.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Azran posted:

The lack of space rats and lizards is one of the biggest failures of 40k :colbert:
Especially since the Lizards canonically have spaceships anyway

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I mean it is never too late. They already have Tomb Kings after all!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

SkySteak posted:

I mean it is never too late. They already have Tomb Kings after all!

Well, that addition has been made back in the late nineties while 2nd edition was still a thing. So don't get your hopes up. :eng99:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Tarquinn posted:

Well, that addition has been made back in the late nineties while 2nd edition was still a thing. So don't get your hopes up. :eng99:

They used to be closer to Terminators than Tomb Kings back then. The change that makes them literally Space Tomb Kings was 6th iirc.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Azran posted:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

Eimi posted:

They used to be closer to Terminators than Tomb Kings back then. The change that makes them literally Space Tomb Kings was 6th iirc.

The design and lore evolved a bit, of course, but the "ancient Egypt" connection has been there from the start.

https://www.warhammer-community.com...the%20Monolith.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tarquinn posted:

The design and lore evolved a bit, of course, but the "ancient Egypt" connection has been there from the start.

https://www.warhammer-community.com...the%20Monolith.
I'm the little two-legged attack-skeleton-dog-thing with guns sticking out of its forehead.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

im the robot monocle

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

Hell Gem
I am the featureless skull/face in that weird microwave oven or CRT TV that is wired to the dirt.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Kaboom

https://i.imgur.com/eyMHQah.mp4

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Two Arzinpals? OVERKILL.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Two Arzinpals? OVERKILL.

Thinking about it, I wish that spell was available in campaign beyond just as a scroll. It just looks so neat.

e: Some legendary death casters getting would be really nice. Morathi definitely, maybe bloodline Necrarchs.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 7, 2020

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

NevilleBamshoe posted:

check the diplo bonuses/penalties, both for how they see you and how you see them. if you dont have a shitload of different negatives piling up for both then you're fine, I wouldn't worry about it, but you can declare war on Naggaroth (or just any mutual enemy that's way on the other side of the map) just to be safe.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

that strategy has allowed me to ally with the dwarves as von carstein on legendary and have them go to war with me against reikland, brettonia and all the other dwarfes & rando order factions around us that couldn't be made nice with and they were still best buds until i stopped playing that campaign

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Tarquinn posted:

Unless you go right the way back when they were "Chaos Androids" created by Chaos Squats and I think first seen in the old Space Crusade boardgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

neonchameleon posted:

Unless you go right the way back when they were "Chaos Androids" created by Chaos Squats.

I don't think I appreciated just how much early 40k really was just Warhammer Fantasy is space.