Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Since we've seen more warhammer games than ever in the last few years I've gotten the impression that the "new" GW is a lot more lax when it comes to videogames and what the videogames are allowed to do. It really IS in their best interest if there are really cool and good warhammer games since that makes people more interested in the brand than ever before.

Look what Total War did with the franchise. GW is even bringing back the very setting they apocalypse'd a few years ago because of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

DaysBefore posted:

Fall of the Samurai casts a pretty big shadow over base Shogun II

The base game was very good in 2011. It hasn't aged well. People picked up on the shortcomings and how it could be cheesed. It's hard to go back to it now. I remember watching Youtube videos of how to make a Uesugi campaign work on high difficulties and the answer was always exploit the game's shortcomings (sell useless military access to all other clans for massive amounts, cheese the ashigaru sheild wall tactic, etc) because you'll always be overwhelmed playing it correctly or recruiting better units.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 8, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I think in this case it's more likely that the simple answer is the right one: CA doesn't think the effort required would have enough return to be worth it. I am doubtful that an army painter would drive many new sales, even as a DLC.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shogun 2 still has the most satisfying arrows in the entire franchise.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I've been playing MP after cracking out and playing 200+ hours of campaign after I first got the game. I can tell CA does definitely not prioritize the MP experience and I wouldn't say just hopping into quick battles was the most fun - not because of toxicity (everyone is usually silent IME) but because a lot of these guys have their armies and formations locked in and so you will get 60 seconds to build your army, then 60 seconds to deploy it. It's a lot when you're just learning, plus self-analysis is hard and to get better you really need people who will play you over and over and tell you what's going on.

I asked in this thread for MP and got the sense it wasn't a focus here (not a problem, just an observation), but I have had great luck joining two youtuber's discords (Turin and Zerkovich) and just asking for beginner PVP matches. Usually I can find someone in my skill range, and if I can't, there's always someone who is way better than me but will talk me through things. For example, I had one guy build a DE army and completely wreck me. I asked to him to play the same army over and over while I tried different things to try and improve the outcome. That's the kind of thing that will get you moving along skillwise. I can actually use cavalry now!

Anyways that's my two cents on getting in MP, your mileage may vary but as someone without a ton of Total War history and literally no PVP experience in RTS, I found just hopping into quick match to be absolutely no fun at all at first. I'm just starting to play it now but still enjoy having a game opponent that will break down the matches with you after

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Sinteres posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the license specifically forbids them from having an army painter (or at least is restrictive enough that they couldn't add it without permission) since that would infringe on tabletop too much. It's important to remember that making the very best video game possible may be in CA's interest, but not necessarily GW's.

Dawn of War and the Necromunda game are both allowed army painters, as is the Blood Bowl games. Albeit they're just a couple of color options and not a full on "painter" tool, but that alone would be nice.

CA has just never had custom colors, factions have defined colors and you get what you pick, that's how every TW works. It may even be a pain in the rear end to change colors based on how their engine is set up.

But they totally should.

Zzulu posted:

Since we've seen more warhammer games than ever in the last few years I've gotten the impression that the "new" GW is a lot more lax when it comes to videogames and what the videogames are allowed to do. It really IS in their best interest if there are really cool and good warhammer games since that makes people more interested in the brand than ever before.

Look what Total War did with the franchise. GW is even bringing back the very setting they apocalypse'd a few years ago because of it

Definitely. Not only are there suddenly a ton of shovelware 40k games, but they're even finally letting someone basically make 40k the PC game. (Its still not quite the same, I think it uses tile movement instead of inches, but still)

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Total War Warhammer and Vermintide have done a lot to revitalize interest in Warhammer. I feel like before those games, Warhammer was mostly known just as "the fantasy version of 40k" or "that thing Blizzard ripped off to make Warcraft"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Zaphod42 posted:

Definitely. Not only are there suddenly a ton of shovelware 40k games, but they're even finally letting someone basically make 40k the PC game. (Its still not quite the same, I think it uses tile movement instead of inches, but still)

What's the 40k game that you're talking about? Battlesector?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

rideANDxORdie posted:

I've been playing MP after cracking out and playing 200+ hours of campaign after I first got the game. I can tell CA does definitely not prioritize the MP experience and I wouldn't say just hopping into quick battles was the most fun - not because of toxicity (everyone is usually silent IME) but because a lot of these guys have their armies and formations locked in and so you will get 60 seconds to build your army, then 60 seconds to deploy it. It's a lot when you're just learning, plus self-analysis is hard and to get better you really need people who will play you over and over and tell you what's going on.

I asked in this thread for MP and got the sense it wasn't a focus here (not a problem, just an observation), but I have had great luck joining two youtuber's discords (Turin and Zerkovich) and just asking for beginner PVP matches. Usually I can find someone in my skill range, and if I can't, there's always someone who is way better than me but will talk me through things. For example, I had one guy build a DE army and completely wreck me. I asked to him to play the same army over and over while I tried different things to try and improve the outcome. That's the kind of thing that will get you moving along skillwise. I can actually use cavalry now!

Anyways that's my two cents on getting in MP, your mileage may vary but as someone without a ton of Total War history and literally no PVP experience in RTS, I found just hopping into quick match to be absolutely no fun at all at first. I'm just starting to play it now but still enjoy having a game opponent that will break down the matches with you after

enticity also runs a best-of-3 ladder that is waaayyyy better than quick battles/the built-in ladder.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Shogun 2's seiges blow warhammers out of the water.

Unfortunatly the game also obliges you to play miserable naval battles.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
literally every mainline TW game has been good. some have been great. some have been masterpieces. but none lesser than good. i will KILL YOU if you say otherwise

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
whoops got a lil khorne in me

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

literally every mainline TW game has been good. some have been great. some have been masterpieces. but none lesser than good. i will KILL YOU if you say otherwise

base empire

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

TRIARII

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Angry Lobster posted:

What's the 40k game that you're talking about? Battlesector?

Seconded...tell us!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What's the preferred method of dealing with ratling guns and jezzails as Lizardmen? The best counter I've found so far has been getting Salamanders to sneak up on them and roast them but they're still by far the most annoying enemy units to go up against.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

What's the preferred method of dealing with ratling guns and jezzails as Lizardmen? The best counter I've found so far has been getting Salamanders to sneak up on them and roast them but they're still by far the most annoying enemy units to go up against.

hola skinks

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That and a loving army painter.

It's especially baffling that there isn't an army painter since the system for it is basically already there. You pop open PFM and each faction has like 4 sections that you set the RGB values for, and it automatically colors each unit. Set the second number to some shade of purple and your Boyz might have purple pants while Night Goblins get purple hats or whatever. Just a few numbers in a database rather than actual retexturing work. It seems like it would be trivial to create a UI to let you do it in-game.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 8, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

neon pink black orcs or bust

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Mantis42 posted:

Against the AI? Anything flying will eat them for breakfast and the AI is awful at protecting its ranged units

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Mantis42 posted:

pretend i found the pterodon rocks meme and posted it here

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The A.I is extraordinarily bad at handling ranged firepower. Usually you just need to press the attack quickly and they fall apart. They never remove skirmish mode either so their ranged units will break formations and just try to flee permanently if anything gets close to them.

Take some relatively fast flankers of basically any unit type and send them at the A.I ranged units and their whole army falls apart

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Pershing posted:

Seconded...tell us!

This one is already out but Sanctus Reach is basically 40K with tiles.

It could use more factions (no tau, nids or eldar) and more varied terrain but it's nice if that's what you want.

e: I'm not talking about the civ-like Gladius game, SR is the same scale as tabletop.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 8, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

quote != edit

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mantis42 posted:

Your army of nothing but carnondons charges that's the solution

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Getting flashbacks to playing lucky's as Kroq-gar back when basic skaven units would just regenerate to full health fifteen times after you routed them

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Protagorean posted:

pretend i found the pterodon rocks meme and posted it here

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Having played around with Mixu's LL and the Empire Engineer legendary hero (the empire engineers are stupid OP and I wish they'd be turned down a touch the way they stack, but they're still fun), I really hope WH3 really leans into legendary heroes, and whatever sequel to TWWH they make does away with them in favor of something closer to 3K's retinues. I think they add a ton of flavor to armies in general and allow you to do some fun pairings.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Getting flashbacks to playing lucky's as Kroq-gar back when basic skaven units would just regenerate to full health fifteen times after you routed them

Oh that was great. I think they got toned down to only regenerating like that twice. That mechanic was particularly nice in Queek's campaign, since he could get pretty good veterancy on clanrats early on as well.

Clanrats would go from a cheap trash unit to a very cheap decent unit with all the lord skills and research with Lucky's Overhaul.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

Having played around with Mixu's LL and the Empire Engineer legendary hero (the empire engineers are stupid OP and I wish they'd be turned down a touch the way they stack, but they're still fun), I really hope WH3 really leans into legendary heroes, and whatever sequel to TWWH they make does away with them in favor of something closer to 3K's retinues. I think they add a ton of flavor to armies in general and allow you to do some fun pairings.
Can't remember if it was Mixu or another mod/Overhaul but there was one where each Empire province had its own unique elector count AND legendary hero so as you gradually absorbed them you'd end up with hordes of distinct lords and heroes, it was great. You could also get wizard lords which was better than wizards because you could get them much sooner and having your second Empire lord be a goddamn pyromancer was really fun.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I am kinda surprised there's not an equivalent to Make Them Unique for Warhammer; it seems like just giving named Lords a unique trait and a couple of new abilities in the skill tree would go a long way.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
bold daring opinion: caster lords suck, would rather spend on red and blue line skills and make a hero my spelling bae

will fight in playground over this

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You might have to

I think there should be an item or something you can equip on a melee lord, like “Sorcerer Attendant” and you select the lore of life for your attendant wizard and get a limited selection of abilities from whatever lore you pick. As it is, a caster lord will get like 800 kills and have buffs and often be a decent combatant.

The trade off is that a caster lord gets to overcast spells and has more winds of magic and poo poo and gets those skills that apply any time you cast magic and a melee lord gets to pick their lore. As it is there’s basically no reason to pick a non-caster lord if you’re trying to play “optimally”, other than fluff or starting position.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Vagabong posted:

I am kinda surprised there's not an equivalent to Make Them Unique for Warhammer; it seems like just giving named Lords a unique trait and a couple of new abilities in the skill tree would go a long way.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1354363361

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Boyz Will Be Boyz is good fun, particularly with explosive artillery.
reminds me of Wake's Realism for warhammer 1 which i liked but never got ported to 2

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Boyz is good but sadly alot of tt imbalance got ported with no intent to fix

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

have a non aggro pact with mazda and they just finished the 3rd vortext ritual, now we're at war and my reliability is tanked lmao

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Feel this is appropriate to share here, but given Be'lakor is 99% likely to be in the game here's his new model:

Want to see that warp sword animated.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 8, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I hope they bring back the deployment phase in quest battles in game 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I dislike about the unit cap mods is that they're so easy to break when you move units between armies. I stopped using cap mods when I lost all my rare points because I moved one Rogue Idol out of my army to reinforce another army.