Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

what's the Kislev roster expected to be? I assume a pretty big cavalry focus given the Polish/Russian/Steppe mishmash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I think they're supposed to have a lot of hybrid units (like that one spearman/archer in the screenshot)

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
From what I've heard, the tabletop version of Kislev had flexible ranged/melee hybrid infantry, fast shock cavalry, and stellar skirmish cavalry - all with relatively light armor. They get gunpowder weapons, including cannons, muskets, and the original War Wagons. They have at least one unique magic path: Ice, which focuses on murdering the poo poo out of heavily armored infantry, and also potentially something that goes along with the Baba Yaga-esque witchcraft (which might instead just steal poo poo from Shadow/Death/etc.). Bear Cavalry are new but guaranteed to exist now (based on articles on the Old World released a year ago by Games Workshop). Jury's still out on whether they will get any monstrous units.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Saw a gif earlier of the warhammer fest line up. Saturday is "its a mystery". I guess they'll be making the old world official with some Hams 3 stuff to boot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I do like that hour glass design for the Winds. Will make it much easier tell just how much gas your wizards have left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Apparently that image is from a mission called "Assault the Brass Citadel"

second image

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Leak details.

quote:

The battle was called Assault on the Brass Citadel and the map is said citadel.

It was a battle with Kislev vs. Khorne Daemons. It was apparently part of the campaign, but the formula was a bit different than in other TW titles.

Basically, you had to go through the map with your forces and secure capture points, while being assaulted by waves upon waves of chaos. Kinda reminded me of some historical battles from other games, like Teutoburg in Rome 2, but with actual mission objectives. Battle was wild af, by the time my first units got to the last objective, I was still skirmishing near the first one.

I didn't play all of WH1&2, so not sure how these work, but the mission reminded me of Dawn of War for some reason, with the map being structured very similarly. It was more of a "siege" since each of the capture points was also part of a bigger fortress, which you could reinforce by spending supplies/points. You could also use them to buy new units mid-battle, upgrade units you already have and build poo poo like towers etc. They literally use words tower defence in the PR. Also, enemies were coming in waves with the clock showing you how much time you have until next attack.

In general it's supposed to be something entirely new, for boss battles in the campaign.

There wasn't a "LL" for Chaos, just a boss at the end which I think was a random bloodthirster (similar to the one from the trailer, called Exalted Greater Champion). For Kislev it was Katarina (she's literally surfing on ice she's creating like iceman from xmen and she cute). There was also lower-level lord, Vitali Slekta or sth like that - a guy riding big bear with tusks/horns. Bear Cav is op as gently caress and they have a lot more type of bears in general, including big one that pukes ice. .

Katarin has thick accent "The Peoples Rrrruler!"

In regards to questions on if the survival mode was a "MOBA".

None of these has anything to do with moba genre though. It's bretty gud, by buildings I meant defensive structures, like barricades, so no basebuilding. Also, keep in mind that it's not a competitive mode, it's for campaign. You're the one taking the VPs and the progression is rather linear (because of how map is constructed) so it's not like you'll be running around the map constantly retaking poo poo.

Oh and one more thing I never mentioned - most enemy units are nerfed in this mode, but there's also much more or them so that you can have this "survival" feel to the gameplay without getting obliterated right away, because enemies are endless.

let me just say that survival battles still play like TW battles, just far longer and micro-intense. I didn't see how they interact with the campaign, but I doubt you end them with your spawned units still in your army.

It reminded me of stuff like capital battles in Dawn of War: Dark Crusade tbh.

On Katarin's "ice-skating" animations

She was randomly using it while running, it's not permanent.

On whether or not there were any dueling animations.

It think there were some animations when my elemental bear fought a bloodthirster, but then again a wasn't paying close attention to individual animations as my time was limited. I may now more when CA sends me my footage. I definitely didn't get any custom death animation, as the demon was killed by ranged attack.

Oh, and Khornates did use some ranged units, though it was arty (skull cannon)

In regards to difficulty of the mission.

Definitely micro-intensive. I had to use my lighter units to redirect chunks of each waves of enemies, because some of my defences might've crumbled if I just took on all enemies at once. It was also rather long, so I had some issues to fix from time to time, though by the end my army was pretty op and I managed the Bloodthirster fairly well.

Keep in mind that enemy units are constantly spawning in waves and are weaker than normal, so you're focuses on not getting swarmed, rather than breaking the enemy, like you would in normal battle. I also suspect it will be much more tricky on VH

On performance and graphics

Framedrops mostly when new waves were spawned, though not much. Battlemap looks phenomenal, but that's kinda standard at this point.

On whether Kislev has rifle units

Streltsi is the main ranged unit I think. They have rifles, there's a separate unit with bows

If there's anything I've missed please inform me and I'll edit the OP as quickly as I can.

EDIT I found some more details from the archived threads

As for magic, it focuses on slowing down enemies, and buffing your own.

Crystal Sanctuary: better dmg resistance, but unit can't move.

Frost Blades: buff for attack and AP.

ice Maiden’s Kiss:frosty breath that slows enemies and damage them Death Frost: dmg over time

Ice sheet: speed and charge reduction

Heart of Winter: evolving AOE that does more dmg with each stage.

On Khorne units

For Khorne it was mostly Bloodletters, Skullcrushers, Bloodthirster (1), Skull Cannons, these Warriors that leaked - the usual, nothing really eye catching.

On Cathay

no mention, in general it was only a showcase of a new type of battle, supposedly

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

what's the Kislev roster expected to be? I assume a pretty big cavalry focus given the Polish/Russian/Steppe mishmash

Depending on how much they pull from old rosters, they should have an archer/great axe hybrid infantry, a handgunner/halberdier hybrid infantry, lots of shock cavalry, low armor all around, war wagons (presumably buffed), and some horse archers.

We know they will almost certainly have some elite armored ice witch/warriors using bows and "blades" as well as bear cavalry of some kind.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I would like to play TW3

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"Like the Dark Crusade stronghold battles" is music to my ears

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I haven't played it but I remember hearing that the Throt - or maybe Drycha? - quest battle played pretty differently, with on-map objectives to smash up rather than just armies. Sounds like that's gonna be the new normal in TW3

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Barf bears!

Really sounds like they're shaking things up this time around, and for some reason it never even occured to me that they'd be showing TW stuff off at the fest. Wonder if they'll reveal the last DLC there too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When's the festival? Ah who am I kidding, ill just wait for 500 new posts itt

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

When's the festival? Ah who am I kidding, ill just wait for 500 new posts itt

It's happening now until the 8th, all online this year.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

DaysBefore posted:

I haven't played it but I remember hearing that the Throt - or maybe Drycha? - quest battle played pretty differently, with on-map objectives to smash up rather than just armies. Sounds like that's gonna be the new normal in TW3

Drycha's quest battle to unlock her bff murder tree starts out like a stealth mission. You're given the objective to destroy three Elf obelisks with branching paths towards each one, and Elven patrols running around. After you start your assault on the first they'll move to reinforce the others, then rally around the final one.

It usually just results in the Elves coming in piecemeal or the typical battle AI kicking in and making them beeline to blob up, but it's different and with the new leaks it absolutely retroactively smacks of a trial run at this kinda thing.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Blessed leakers.

That all sounds amazing. I want more.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
A point that a friend of mine makes that I haven't seen elsewhere is that the addition of mid-battle deployables are a positive sign for the inclusion of the cathayan terracotta soldiers that form into battlements when they die.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1389942969189519360

Lets loving goooooooooooooooooo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
lmao at the recycled ork "waaugh" coming from that bloodthirster

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
YT for some video that's not completely rear end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCNl6l6yvDA

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That big ice spike seems to have more physicality than most other TWW spells with the way it pushes units around. Guessing it lasts for a while and can be used as a kind of wall?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If the new TWW3 previous are next week, maybe the mystery date on the Warhammer Fest calendar is about the Old World project? It’s big enough to warrant both a mystery box hype and its own day, and while Total Warhammer 3 is a big deal, the various video games based on GW properties seem like afterthoughts at this event.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 5, 2021

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Mordja posted:

That big ice spike seems to have more physicality than most other TWW spells with the way it pushes units around. Guessing it lasts for a while and can be used as a kind of wall?

Magic has always seemed to me like the most 'trust us, something cool is happening' aspect of the WH2. If they can give more of a kick to magic in 3 that will be amazing.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I hope the model of a mostly open map with deployables available to the defender to create chokepoints ect. will be used as a revamp for seige battles in general in TW3. It seems like a good way to offer an advantage to the defender while avoiding the endless monotony of walls.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I honestly hope they keep the single wall style of sieges, that's the only good change to sieges in Warhammer.

- Get rid of towers, gently caress em.
- Attackers can instant-buy siege towers and battering rams but at some kind of cost, either army vigor debuffs are steep gold costs. Ladders should be restricted to certain melee infantry, grant siege attacker and don't debuff vigor when used. Melee should excel in sieges.
- Artillery. On. The. Walls.
- Missile infantry can fire 360° when on the walls so you can't abuse blind corners.
- Customizable garrisons.
- Magic missiles can target wall sections.
- Ruined wall sections and gate houses need to be big enough for a cavalry unit to charge through without slowing down or snagging on poo poo.
- Reduce the size of the attacker backfield by a poo poo ton, it's wasted space. Make the settlement bigger with larger spaces.
- Multiple capture points

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Woooo

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I wish garrison upgrades just gave you cash to recruit whatever you want. Being that they can't include dlc means some races have really poo poo garrison forces, while others are just annoying and weird.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Sasgrillo posted:

I honestly hope they keep the single wall style of sieges, that's the only good change to sieges in Warhammer.

- Get rid of towers, gently caress em.
- Attackers can instant-buy siege towers and battering rams but at some kind of cost, either army vigor debuffs are steep gold costs. Ladders should be restricted to certain melee infantry, grant siege attacker and don't debuff vigor when used. Melee should excel in sieges.
- Artillery. On. The. Walls.
- Missile infantry can fire 360° when on the walls so you can't abuse blind corners.
- Customizable garrisons.
- Magic missiles can target wall sections.
- Ruined wall sections and gate houses need to be big enough for a cavalry unit to charge through without slowing down or snagging on poo poo.
- Reduce the size of the attacker backfield by a poo poo ton, it's wasted space. Make the settlement bigger with larger spaces.
- Multiple capture points

I would also like cavalry to be able to dismount.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I legit don't care about dismounting cavalry because I imagine that'll be a big animation/asset tax for something that IMO is better solved by making it so that cavalry can still be effectively used in sieges. Make the streets wider or something, because that solves the other issue I have with sieges, which is terrible pathfinding.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

toasterwarrior posted:

I legit don't care about dismounting cavalry because I imagine that'll be a big animation/asset tax for something that IMO is better solved by making it so that cavalry can still be effectively used in sieges. Make the streets wider or something, because that solves the other issue I have with sieges, which is terrible pathfinding.

calvary being able to go around corners would be sick

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Being able to build fortifications would be incredibly dope. That battle at the Brass Keep sounds cool as hell.

I hope they backport these improvements to the races from the first two games. Sieges have been the single biggest weak point of the Warhammer series, especially because they're so common. Hyped.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Really, just giving the A.I the willingness to engage in even field battles that it has in Three Kingdoms would be a huge improvement.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Vagabong posted:

Really, just giving the A.I the willingness to engage in even field battles that it has in Three Kingdoms would be a huge improvement.

This and the automatic formations when you click and drag units are the two things I need

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I want Warhammer 3 to be so good that I never turn warhammer 2 back on ever again. Which is what happened with Warhammer 1 when I got 2.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I want Warhammer 3 not to require me to have Warhammers 1 and 2 simultaneously installed in order to activate the huge campaign

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Scandalous posted:

I want Warhammer 3 not to require me to have Warhammers 1 and 2 simultaneously installed in order to activate the huge campaign

You don't need to have warhammer 1 installed to play ME.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Scandalous posted:

You don't need Warhammer 1 installed to play Mortal Empires in 2, so I don't see why that'd change for 3.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
I could swear at first you had to have the first one installed in order to activate the races/ME, then you could delete it, and googling it shows I’m a loving imbecile and I should shut my stupid loving face god just shoot me

E: ok now I WANT it to require all the games installed, plus every other Warhammer game. No HeroQuest (1991) on your HD? No hero units for you

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 6, 2021

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Do you need it installed to get some of the FLC? I remember having to do that to get some of the extra empire wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Scandalous posted:

I could swear at first you had to have the first one installed in order to activate the races/ME, then you could delete it, and googling it shows I’m a loving imbecile and I should shut my stupid loving face god just shoot me
If I recall right, Steam is kind of annoying in how it handles the activation of the free DLCs. If you hadn't activated all the DLCs yet, you would need to install WH1. Once you had all the DLCs tied to your account, you could remove WH1 though.