Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
A Goblin Khanate DLC might actually get me to start a greenskins campaign, just give hordes of goblins riding wolves :allears::

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've sunk so much time into warhammer 2 this past week, probably unhealthy but I'm loving this game so much. Finally finished the basic Tyrion campaign and started up a Fat Goblin one, it's delightful so far

I've been trying to find good uses for Vanguard units (placeable outside of the starting deployment zone), so far my experiments have been either innefectual or disastrous. Any tips?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jay Rust posted:

I've sunk so much time into warhammer 2 this past week, probably unhealthy but I'm loving this game so much. Finally finished the basic Tyrion campaign and started up a Fat Goblin one, it's delightful so far

I've been trying to find good uses for Vanguard units (placeable outside of the starting deployment zone), so far my experiments have been either innefectual or disastrous. Any tips?

Right in the face of the enemy. Goblins in Grom's campaign punch way, way above their weight and can hold the line long enough for your unbreakable Stone Trolls (with the right cauldron recipes) to crump the enemy.

Then swing around the back with spiky rollas to cause more chaos while your shaman and/or river troll hag do their magic dance.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

light or missile cavalry/dogs can do good work distracting the AI - don't actually engage, just keep running around the back of the enemy line and peel off units. micro intensive obviously

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Since they mentioned how the fortresses of the other chaos gods still remain after the Kislev/Khorne battle, it's probably safe to say those kinds of battles act sort of as the rituals in the Vortex campaign.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sorry when I mentioned "they are doing Horus Heresy Warhammer" what I meant was doing a new set up where everything is set a long time before everything "happens" in the lore.

It's not something I particularly like seeing, but I hope other people enjoy it!

Also I cannot wait to see the Hobgoblin Khanate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Babe Magnet posted:

I am so hyped for Cathay. "Time Period Aesthetics But Moreso + Skulls" is going to look so loving rad with chinese-inspired units. And you know we're getting one of those sweet Long Dragons

Looooong long dragon.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

The wounded hex is very good and cool, but it's also frustrating to still see shielded units get mulched by frontal missile attacks and cavalry do the usual charge, get stuck and die routine. Missiles and artillery definitely don't need to be nerfed, but melee infantry could use some kind of love.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in 3K aren't shielded units virtually invulnerable to missile fire from the front? And cav are able to easily tear through unbraced formations, as well as rapidly disengage and change direction?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
It's possible they've tweaked the numbers on ranged - it's hard to gauge anything from this prerelease footage because all of the Khorne units only had about 25% of their base HP.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Sasgrillo posted:

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in 3K aren't shielded units virtually invulnerable to missile fire from the front? And cav are able to easily tear through unbraced formations, as well as rapidly disengage and change direction?

On cav, definitely. Cav is very strong in 3K.

Shielded units, eh depends? All units have missile resistance which for shielded infantry units is usually between 40-55% and for shielded cavalry about 80%. 3K has formations though that can add missile resistance on top, pushing missile resistance into 95-100% range.

Missile resistance is honestly pretty fair in 3K, a unit will block as much as it says it blocks.

Thing is, 3K missiles are lethal so even with 50% block infantry will get ripped by concentrated fire.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Thing is, 3K missiles are lethal so even with 50% block infantry will get ripped by concentrated fire.
I dunno if you played since the most recent 3K DLC but ranged got adjusted to be less lethal. Peasant Archers shooting at unshielded peasant spearmen dont shatter them before the spearmen get into melee anymore, unless you have like 6 peasant archers firing at one spearman unit. Its really nice.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
There's also icons for Gold Shields now, so it's entirely possible that shielding is being reworked

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is there a meaningful difference between chariots and cavalry?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

They have different masses and model shapes/sizes. Chariots can mess up units harder than cav on the charge, but they also have the tendency to get more caught/jammed up.

It's why in multi, if you are taking chariots it's usually on a lord or hero. They're easier to micro, since it's just one guy compared to a unit of three, so they're less likely to get trapped.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Chariots (except Grom) seem like they have some animation fuckery that means they underperform compared to their statline. In theory they should be mostly like cavalry with a low model count and relatively large model size, with all the advantages and disadvantages that means. Also generally high charge and low combat stats with a tendency to get bogged down. If they can push through lines they seem generally effective.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Looooong long dragon.

https://twitter.com/BolterToKokoro/status/1389429405630435334

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Chariots are unstoppable killing machines....if you micro them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pnXR0QSwRI

I'm way too lazy to bother most of the time but if they are what you focus on they will absolutely wreck anything.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm in the mood for Beasts. Are there any mods that make them less of a grind?

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Hopefully they expand it to the other races eventually. Not letting the Lizardmen kick Chaos in the teeth and finally complete the Great Plan seems like a wasted opportunity.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Do you see any game 1 races with rites yet?

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

What's the best way to get this on steam, is there a collection that has all the DLC? Should I just wait for pieces of it to go on sale?

I kind of feel like waiting for Total War: Warhammer 3 is the smarter move, but then I read about how DLC purchases move to the next game, and that there is a unifying world-spanning campaign map but only if you own TW:WH1 and TW:WH2?

I really liked Shogun 2, didn't care for Rome 2, and in general I like the total war series. I'm not a warhammer enthusiast but I can accept it as a generic fantasy setting, let's go. Wait for warhams 3, or get warhams 2 and eventually buy wharhams 1 since giant world-spanning maps are the best?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
We really need to put a disclaimer about how DLC works for Total War somewhere.

But anyway, don't fret about DLC: compared to everyone else, CA DLC practices are pretty drat good in the sense that *all DLC content* is patched into the game and 90% of it will end up in other AI's armies for you to fight/fight alongside with; what you're buying is the ability to use said DLC content. If this somehow sounds unreasonable, bear in mind that in a playthrough, you're only using a single race's worth of units anyway so you're not missing out at all. IMO, I suggest you buy WH2 and WH1 on sale; this will give you access to 9 factions with mostly unique playstyles and access to the Mortal Empires campaign, which is a massive world map with every single race having a playable position. If you like how a faction plays, go ahead and pick up DLC that gives that faction more units or Legendary Lords. Similarly, once you know if you enjoy a certain playstyle, ask around or do some research into what other DLC factions would be agreeable to your preference and pick those up as well. That's a *lot* of replayability already.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

yeah, if you're not in a hurry just look for 50% off sales on the main games and buy the DLC for the faction that looks the most fun.

you can get 50+ hours out of 1 faction, and you aren't missing anything by not having all the other DLC while playing as them. repeat as desired.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

palindrome posted:

What's the best way to get this on steam, is there a collection that has all the DLC? Should I just wait for pieces of it to go on sale?

I kind of feel like waiting for Total War: Warhammer 3 is the smarter move, but then I read about how DLC purchases move to the next game, and that there is a unifying world-spanning campaign map but only if you own TW:WH1 and TW:WH2?

I really liked Shogun 2, didn't care for Rome 2, and in general I like the total war series. I'm not a warhammer enthusiast but I can accept it as a generic fantasy setting, let's go. Wait for warhams 3, or get warhams 2 and eventually buy wharhams 1 since giant world-spanning maps are the best?

TWW 2 is a great game out of the box that you can get a ton of time out of with no DLC at all, and you'll eventually need it to get the "complete" TWW3 experience, so I'd get it. Buy TWW 1 when it's on sale for faction unlocks.

As toasterwarrior says, DLC in TWW is extremely optional - the actual content any mechanics overhauls are patched in for free and you're only paying for playable access, so you can quite literally pick and choose only the DLCs that focus on races you're interested in playing or expanding upon. Don't give a poo poo about playing Skaven? You don't need to buy any Skaven DLC, since you'll fight all of their new stuff even with the base game.

There's a whole bunch of players, even in this thread, who have gotten like a hundred plus hours playing one faction over and over, nevermind all of the DLC options. I've bought every single DLC since I've spent hundreds of hours on both TWW1 and TWW2 and there are still LLs I've never actually gotten around to playing a campaign with.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

It took three games but CA is finally putting unit abilities in a scrollable list instead of an unreadable pile at the bottom of the unit card :pcgaming:.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dont think there is much new in here but GW has their own post up about Warhammer 3

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/13/a-giant-bear-beats-up-daemons-in-total-war-warhammer-iiis-new-gameplay-trailer/

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Cool, thanks for the info. I'm used to the model of "new total war game = new total war DLC, non transferable. "

It sounds more complicated than before but possibly more beneficial to the consumer if they're eventually wrapping everything up in a TWW 1-3 package that has all the content which would be excellent. I imagine the game engine gets improved as well and they'll use the TWW3 version, but maybe they're released close enough together that it's all relatively the same engine and won't suffer.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Think of the first two games (and all of their DLC) as giant DLCs for the third game.

I'd say grab WH1 and WH2 on sale, install WH2, and play some campaigns. Get an idea of what you like, and what DLC seems interesting. All of it will move forward into WH3 eventually (because I'd bet the Mortal Empires equivalent in WH3 won't be immediately available at launch).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

ThingOne posted:

It took three games but CA is finally putting unit abilities in a scrollable list instead of an unreadable pile at the bottom of the unit card :pcgaming:.

yesssssssss

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010

ThingOne posted:

Never knew I wanted this, but the current display is loving terrible and extremely difficult to parse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gonkish posted:

(because I'd bet the Mortal Empires equivalent in WH3 won't be immediately available at launch).

It's apparently called Immortal Empires

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Gonkish posted:

Think of the first two games (and all of their DLC) as giant DLCs for the third game.

I'd say grab WH1 and WH2 on sale, install WH2, and play some campaigns. Get an idea of what you like, and what DLC seems interesting. All of it will move forward into WH3 eventually (because I'd bet the Mortal Empires equivalent in WH3 won't be immediately available at launch).

Thanks, I'll put it on the look-for-sale list. Appreciate the info everyone.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ThingOne posted:

That was a genuine wtf moment for me when I watched Zerkovich's overview vid of WH3 changes, and he's like "seems pretty superfluous". Painfully moving your cursor one pixel at a time to search through two dozen ability symbols at the bottom of the unit card was never fun, I'm baffled why he didn't care about that change.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Josef bugman posted:

Sorry when I mentioned "they are doing Horus Heresy Warhammer" what I meant was doing a new set up where everything is set a long time before everything "happens" in the lore.

It's not something I particularly like seeing, but I hope other people enjoy it!

Also I cannot wait to see the Hobgoblin Khanate.

Short of named characters, it's not like there's much difference between TOW and the 'present' in TWW, especially given GW and CA are actively collaborating on the units that are in both games and time periods.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Torrannor posted:

That was a genuine wtf moment for me when I watched Zerkovich's overview vid of WH3 changes, and he's like "seems pretty superfluous". Painfully moving your cursor one pixel at a time to search through two dozen ability symbols at the bottom of the unit card was never fun, I'm baffled why he didn't care about that change.

Probably has them all memorised, in which case, yeah. Superfluous

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Yvonmukluk posted:

Short of named characters, it's not like there's much difference between TOW and the 'present' in TWW, especially given GW and CA are actively collaborating on the units that are in both games and time periods.

I wonder how well they can convey that its's 300 years earlier or if they'll just decide the world has been largely stagnant and have it be pretty much the same, including tech.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

not a bot posted:

I wonder how well they can convey that its's 300 years earlier or if they'll just decide the world has been largely stagnant and have it be pretty much the same, including tech.

To be fair the warhams world is basically stagnant except for the Empire itself. Sigmar was a screeching fur-clad barbarian with an axe at the same time everyone else was identical to their current incarnations. Malekith was still a dude and the dwarfs hadn't invented gunpowder yet but that was basically it. The one exception was the skaven who emerged fully-formed from a bell tower in now-Skavenblight.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can’t find a good answer online... Do buffs that say “Goblin units” include Night Goblins? Goblin cavalry? Goblin machines?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Just for the dlc buyers out there: some factions benefit more from dlc than others.

The full faction DLCs from 2 are both very good complete factions. The full faction DLCs from 1 are a real mixed bag. Personally I'd rank them wood elves, Norska, chaos, beastmen. Wood elves had a nice update for the second game, the rest are kind of janky these days.

Dark elves, Empire, Wood elves, vampire counts, and dwarfs are fine out of the box. The dlcs they do have add very nitch units you won't really miss.

The lizardmen and high elves aren't terrible with no dlc, but their dlcs add new options that can change they types of armies you can build. Queen and the crone gives high elves possibly the most powerful unit in the game.

Orcs are OK with no additional units, but having Skarsnik and the night goblins opens up options, as does grom. The river troll hag really can tie the room together, and the stone trolls let you diversify your armies somewhat. The rogue idol is a gimmick, like the dread saurian, but is really fun to have around. Be warned though, the king and the warlord campaigns are no cakewalk. Skarsnik's campaign would be a terrible first go, stick with ol Wurzag if you're looking for an easy green skin start.

Skaven with no dlc are poor. Lord Skrulk does ok, but you'll find the one army that works and just use that. You can build a more stealth vanguard deployment army, or a weak line with slinger spam, but either way you'll depend on artillery and plague priests to pay the bills. Any of their 3 DLCs will make them much more powerful, maybe too powerful, as they all add great units and insanely strong lords with abilities ranging from nuclear weapons to deleting entire factions off the campaign map with a single click no matter how large or powerful they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wonder if the tier-icons are used for anything mechanically. I’d love tier-based unit caps CA!