Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hope the beastmen get some cool new units. Apart from the minotaurs everything else is so lacklustre

And with Khorne apparently getting Minotaurs as well I'm not sure I will bother with a beastman army unless they get some other spotlight unit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
ok time to stop being lazy, they're remaking the loving beastmen holy poo poo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll lol when still no jabberslythe

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
externalising this from the OP to make room for TWW3 and the new expansion content

unit roster, with input from The Crotch posted:

Rampage/Primal Instinct
While there are a couple of rampage units outside of the roster, the lizardmen are known to suffer from it the most. Most of their dinosaur units suffer from it, and Saurus Warriors will get a special version:

if unit is below 20% total hp:
+16% charge bonus
+8 melee attack
-rampage

units will be noted if they have this

lords

Mazda Monday
fat frog with a stack of magic and bound spells. can ride a stegadon named slag. comes with Lore of Heavens on top of all his bound spells.

Kroq-Gar
saurus general with a bionic arm. the arm can shoot Shem's Burning Gaze (the light magic missile spell) as a bound spell. He gets access to a cold one, a horned one and grimlock

:10bux:Tehenhuain
The Skink with the 10 commandments. Comes with a whole bunch of bonuses to skinks and can ride a dino.

Tic Tac Toe
flying skink hero. can drop rocks on daemon princes and kill them. also comes with a couple other items to boost flying units and their ability to drop rocks on daemon princes.

:10bux:Gor-Rok
a big white kroxigor as part of Hunter and the Beast. Built as a melee powerhouse with an ability for heaps of physical resist and an item for heaps of attack and damage, as well as one for heaps of armour.

Slann Mage Priest (heavens|high|life|fire|light)
Slann in the campaign can only be summoned via a ritual, since they're so rare in-lore. They used to be a trap but are now real good

Saurus Old-blood
the guys you recruit to lead when you don't have access to slann. can mount a cold one and a carnosaur.

Heroes

all heroes come with Cold-Blooded, an ability to buff lizardmen and calm them down in case of rampage

Skink Chief
the twink from the top image. they come with a good ranged attack, and some speed bonuses in case of trouble.

Saurus Scar-Veteran
a more melee-orientated hero. comes with deadly onslaught and foe seeker, and a halberd attack (+30 vs large) to deal with big beasties trying to off your lord

skink priests
mages with scaly skin, basically. comes with lores of beasts and heavens

lord kroak
not a regular campaign unit, you can try and wheel the master frog wizard's mummified corpse around in battle. it has a selection of big-explodey-sun abilities and a big aoe ward save as a bound ability.

magic lores: heavens (common) | beasts (skinks only) | high | life | fire | light
heavens is common to heroes and lords, beasts is skink-only, the other lores are attached to frog-wizards only

Infantry

grind enemies to dust with not-roman legions

Skink Cohort
rather average skills compared to other general infantry, but come with aquatic so have some bonuses in the water. can be boosted if you have one of the skink lords

Saurus Spears/shields
Your spearmanii for unfun people that don't want to use dinosaurs. melee attack is fairly average for their size so don't use these too much as general melee.
this unit has Primal Instinct

Saurus Warriors/shields
Your melee units. average melee stats (boost this with magic) but big melee damage. This will form your melee wall, or your entire army as Kroq-Gar.

Temple Guard
Good Armour, Loads of HP, Halberds.

archers skinks

all skink units come with poison ranged attacks, useful for softening up enemy units even more for Saurus to mulch them

Skink Cohort with Javelins
They only get 3 javelins, but have average melee skills once they're out. However there's no poison melee so they lose usefulness once you have better units

Skink Skirmishers
They're fast, they have blowpipes, and parthian shot. They also have loads of darts so replace your jav skinks with these at first opportunity

Chameleon Skinks
Less HP than the skinks but they have 40% missile resist (so you have to use cav and not other missiles) and poison melee attacks. These are the top-tier ranged units for lizardmen

Dino Cavalry

in short, AP melee cav with good armour

Feral Cold Ones
Basic dinos that run around and chomp hunters who say "clever girl" before being eaten. Cheap AP damage, they have a basic rampage without the attack bonus Saurus get

Cold One Riders/Spears
Saurus Warriors on Cold Ones. These come with Primal Instincts like the regular Warriors. The spear versions come with a good anti-large bonus for an attack penalty.

Horned Ones
Very expensive but very good melee cavalry. Huge bonuses across the board from Cold One Riders.

Dinosaurs - Earl Sinclair and hisFriends

This is where you get your Jurassic Park on.
These tend to become pincushions and fare badly in autoresolve

Feral Bastilodon
Bucketloads of armour (140, almost as much as Arachnarok) and splash/knockback everywhere. Throw it into combat and make sure it doesn't get in too deep, as its damage is fairly average for a beast this size.

Bastilodon with Revivify Crystal
Comes with a platform and skinks blowing darts everywhere. The crystal is basically casting Invocation of Nehek on top of yourself and you get several charges, so it's a fantastic support platform.

Kroxigors
Monster squad with a big bonus versus infantry and lots of splash to smash opponents. Very useful at line-breaking.

Feral Stegadon
more hp, less armour than Bastilodon but great melee attack and charge. This is your replacement for shock-cav.

Carnosaur

ranged and flying dinosaurs

Terradons/Fireleech Bolas
Skinks ride these and hurl small rocks (or exploding rocks with strings attached) at the enemy. You can also drop big rocks from them, though each terradon only carries one.

Bastilodon w/Solar Engine
Just as good in melee as before but now it has a laser for artillery. huge splash, fire and magic damage, and applies the blinded debuff to cripple whoever it's shooting at

Stegadon
Comes with a poisoned Ballista to shoot towers, artillery and anything else you point it at

Ancient Stegadon
has several large dart launchers instead of one ballista. Walk behind your melee line and wreak havoc before charging in.

additional references:
1)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbvsmqxJVvQ

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive been thinking on What Is The Best Faction For a New Player and I'm going to give a opinion against the most common picks (dwarfs, lizards, counts, high elves), because they often teach some really terrible habits. Either they engender passivity like just corner camping every fight (dwarfs), don't cover important things like ranged combat (lizards, counts), magic (dwarfs), or the importance of protecting a backline (all of them).

I'd actually pitch Repanse. I think cavalry is a good tool for starting players to learn to use since they offer flexibility, reward aggression, and make positioning easier to deal with, while still teaching things like "don't attack anti large things". Repanse's early foes are straightforward to fight, she and Henri are good beatsticks, and she buffs the infantry of the Bret roster so they don't route on first contact. The roster is cav heavy, but still has enough variety to be instructive on how to utilize different unit types (and getting all your archers killed because you don't know what you're doing isn't as dramatically horrible because you're still running around with horsies). Fighting Skaven early on might be horrible but Snikch tends to die off on his own anyways.

Speaking of Snikch, I don't think he's a bad first timer pick either. He doesn't have loyalty to deal with, his roster is restricted so you only have to deal with knowing a few units, and having his best killer units being foot skirmishers means a first time player doesnt have to worry about how to set up good battle lines or anything, instead being able to use skirmish mode and learning from seeing how the AI fights. A stack of skirmishers still requires having to run them in fairly close distance to the enemy and Do Things rather than sit back and wait to destroy enemies as they walk at them. Plus, they're generally not good enough, even with the AP damage buff, to carry the game on their own backs forever. He's got a ritual that is a get out of jail free card, his unique campaign mechanics also allow means to make up for mistakes, and as the player gains favor with the clans or confederates other factions they start being able to experiment with other units a bit at a time. The only big down side, campaign wise, is the food mechanic being hard to cope with for a lot of people.

other alternative picks i thought would work out: wurrzag, khalida, cylostra

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 4, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Vargs posted:

I have never found a good use for White Lions.

Gimmick army for Alistair.

The nice thing about the HE roster is that everything is decent enough that in campaign you can recruit wacky lords with different traits and give everyone a gimmick army. Works even better with Mixu's lords.

Or do sea guard/swordmaster/dragon/sister doomstacks if you are boring and basic.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I hope the beastmen get some cool new units. Apart from the minotaurs everything else is so lacklustre

And with Khorne apparently getting Minotaurs as well I'm not sure I will bother with a beastman army unless they get some other spotlight unit

Marked bestigors would be v cool and tie in to game 3, and could also be kludged in to fit roster holes as needed.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Khalida on vortex? ME Khalida seems like hell for a new player, bashing your head against a walled city with t1 tomb kings in a minor city.
I kinda hate what they did to her and Khatep's hell starts. I usually don't want to deal with them, and TK were one of the armies I actually played on TT as a kid goddammit I want to play them.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 4, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Maybe the beastmen DLC with minotaurs being the featured unit will mean they will finally have enough mass added to them that they won't be sent skyward by everything hitting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCGNj1lahDA

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jun 4, 2021

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Vargs posted:

My relationship to white lions changed when they updated the grove both by making it do stuff and again when they updated the grove in 2020, moving Sisters to the top tier Grove. I wouldn't build an entire building to get them - but given that I actually want both War Lions and Sisters the ability to recruit them is effectively free. And white lions stand up to archers as well as spearmen do (90 armour is good) while being able to beat down spearmen, slytherin guard, and lords. Of course they can't beat down even spearmen on VH or Legendary and I think that's the real problem they have.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The real problem is playing with VH/L combat difficulty.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Devorum posted:

I thought this got patched out a while back?

They didn't, and nor did the community patch fix it for me. I have a Hound campaign with screenshots upthread and recently tried again with the Eagle and I ran into the same bug. Cutscene played, challengers spawned but victory condition still uncompleted.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ive been thinking on What Is The Best Faction For a New Player and I'm going to give a opinion against the most common picks (dwarfs, lizards, counts, high elves), because they often teach some really terrible habits. Either they engender passivity like just corner camping every fight (dwarfs), don't cover important things like ranged combat (lizards, counts), magic (dwarfs), or the importance of protecting a backline (all of them).

I'd actually pitch Repanse. I think cavalry is a good tool for starting players to learn to use since they offer flexibility, reward aggression, and make positioning easier to deal with, while still teaching things like "don't attack anti large things". Repanse's early foes are straightforward to fight, she and Henri are good beatsticks, and she buffs the infantry of the Bret roster so they don't route on first contact. The roster is cav heavy, but still has enough variety to be instructive on how to utilize different unit types (and getting all your archers killed because you don't know what you're doing isn't as dramatically horrible because you're still running around with horsies). Fighting Skaven early on might be horrible but Snikch tends to die off on his own anyways.

Speaking of Snikch, I don't think he's a bad first timer pick either. He doesn't have loyalty to deal with, his roster is restricted so you only have to deal with knowing a few units, and having his best killer units being foot skirmishers means a first time player doesnt have to worry about how to set up good battle lines or anything, instead being able to use skirmish mode and learning from seeing how the AI fights. A stack of skirmishers still requires having to run them in fairly close distance to the enemy and Do Things rather than sit back and wait to destroy enemies as they walk at them. Plus, they're generally not good enough, even with the AP damage buff, to carry the game on their own backs forever. He's got a ritual that is a get out of jail free card, his unique campaign mechanics also allow means to make up for mistakes, and as the player gains favor with the clans or confederates other factions they start being able to experiment with other units a bit at a time. The only big down side, campaign wise, is the food mechanic being hard to cope with for a lot of people.

I'd go with Empire - either one of Karl Franz or Gelt. Tactically they have a large and flexible roster with lots of fun toys to reach for and they are capable of almost every playstyle (hammer and anvil, gunline, bowline, rush, grinder, EXPLOSIONS, hell they can even attempt skirmish and monster mash). On the strategy layer, they have engaging but not over-complicated mechanics combined with a nice varied mix of opponents and potential allies. Their campaigns also scale well, with some clear early-game goals (secure your province, defeat the nearby minor you start at war with) that transition into encountering midgame threats (Norsca, Vampire Counts, Ikkit) before the Chaos throwdown and endgame (Morathi, Grimgor).

On Vortex, I'd probably agree with Repanse I guess - although Tyrion's start is a little better now that Grom is on the donut, it's not all just HElf vs. HElf early game anymore. Skaven seem really hard to learn out the gate.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
No dlc skaven takes a great understanding of the leadership mechanics to do anything.

Like skavenslave piles can work in the early game, but you need the synergy with the slingers or they will lose 1 on 1 vs literally any unit in the game.

Definately go with Skrolk, but even then woof, that's a hill to climb as a first campaign.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Empire would be my recommendation for the reasons already mentioned, Karl Franz in particular. You get access to a wizard very early and KF is a good strong melee lord, plus you have some Reiksguard to teach you the value of cavalry.

Tomb Kings would be near bottom of my list, because chariots aren't easy to use and they are the heavy hitters early on until you can get Ushabti.

VVVV
Sure, but what you'll be fighting early on as Empire can't really smash your front lines, and you can get quite a long way with spears, swords, and crossbows.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I find empire requires coordination and effective spell usage versus things that will destroy your frontline, which can be overwhelming for a firstimer, at least a firt timer to TW games. My problem with elves is that they're too strong on the campaign; you can just roll out a stack of lothern sea guard and win by being very passive and sloppy, especially on lower difficulty, and I think a new player should be given tools that require breaking away from the impulse to play overly passive and with bad positioning.

skaven are hard to play generally and not a good entry point but i think eshin is an exception due to starting tucked away in ME. vortex is a more open position but they can ally with tomb kings without much difficulty. starting out using a lot of foot skirmishers gets the advantages of ranged play while still demanding that the player do more than sit in a box.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 4, 2021

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If this hypothetical new player is willing to record themselves playing their first game, tell them to play as Marcus Wolfheart :getin:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think wood elves would be the worst in all ways for a newbie. weird campaign you can gently caress up super easy, expensive and fragile units that kind of suck unless you know what youre doing, and then the standard passive but hyper effective play is to just run hyper expensive ranged doomstacks and hide in trees

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I find empire requires coordination and effective spell usage versus things that will destroy your frontline, which can be overwhelming for a firstimer, at least a firt timer to TW games. My problem with elves is that they're too strong on the campaign; you can just roll out a stack of lothern sea guard and win by being very passive and sloppy, especially on lower difficulty, and I think a new player should be given tools that require breaking away from the impulse to play overly passive and with bad positioning.

skaven are hard to play generally and not a good entry point but i think eshin is an exception due to starting tucked away in ME. vortex is a more open position but they can ally with tomb kings without much difficulty. starting out using a lot of foot skirmishers gets the advantages of ranged play while still demanding that the player do more than sit in a box.

Losing once your front line is compromised is a feature, not a bug. The early game encounters won't threaten to do that, but as higher-tier units start appearing it (in principle) forces experimentation with new units and tactics.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Vargs posted:

Use them because they look cool!

I'll use subpar units all the time just for flavor. Sometimes min/max-ing gets to be too much (in any game) and it's fun to mix it up. This is also the reason why I'm usually the least attributing member of my friend group when we play competitive multiplayer games because I end up doing non-optimal poo poo to mix it up.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Empire swords / halberds and crossbows with red line buffs will take you way into late game. It's a very simple, effective army to play in single player

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Ikit and Snikitch both have hilariously obvious doomstacks you can get online fairly early. Ikit can spam gunlines and never have to recruit melee. Throw in as many engineers as you can and your rattling guns will pulp units from across the map. Snikitch can get a grip of mortars, hide their infantry somewhere, and ambush when they try to close in on the artillery position. Ishka's triads are one of my favorite units in the game, and man alive are they a force multiplier for your mortars.

This is all assuming you have to make an army out of only the base units and the individual DLC's units; once you can mix and match, Skaven are trivially easy on campaign, even Tretch has a puncher's chance with the full roster.

Realistically, your melee line should be plague monk summons, or you're in for a difficult time. Woe unto me when I tried to run a stormvermin line and play them like a normal army. I could not believe the things that would completely body my 'elite' infantry. The council guard are cool though.

The only real hurdle is getting used to using the afore mentioned skavenslave pile in the early game. It's not terrible with some nice menace from below rear charges and good use of magic, but you need some good melee/ranged positioning because you will lose a straight fight against literally anything that isn't a basic ranged unit or artillery crew.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
playing hard (and when im masochistic, very hard) has probably fried my standards but i find that even with red line skills those state troops exist mostly for everything in the game to clown on them. greenskins offer a similar amount of variety, with wuzzrag they get good spells and a strong early game crutch with savage orcs, and their frontline can actually give you enough time to do things without everything going horrible if things go on too long.

i think franz in the campaign has the problem where an experienced player can keep up the pace but someone who can actually lose battles or doesnt know how to deal with the imperial stuff can find themselves pretty rapidly stuck in a problem cycle.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I think if someone is new to this game and playing on normal, and they find themselves relying on corner camping or bad habits to win fights they should probably get themselves to youtube and learn how to play. I don't think any of the noob friendly armies necessarily reward playing in lovely ways, they make it so that you have the space to absorb losses, mostly. The "toolbox" factions like HE or Empire are ideal for new players specifically because they encourage new players to attempt to use mixed arms in their armies - frontline/backline/skirmishers/cavalry/artillery. Then by the time they've scraped through 50 or 60 turns they can build a magic college and have their mind blown by the expansiveness of magic in the game.

I would only recommend empire, high elves or greenskins to new players with the latter being the wacky option. Thats because these three armies have answers to any surprises that might get thrown at them. Most of the other factions are some spin on the general formula with a glaring weakness thrown in for fun.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The battle difficulty changes are overstated imo. Hard basically means the AI has enough morale to actually reach your main force and not get owned by ranged/cav/spells/a badass dragon

Also skaven are as broken and easy as they were in 8th. If anything they are nerfed. Imagine if you could field five units of slaves that mathematically took more turns to break than the game lasted, while also have a seer on a bell buffing your entire army and being the one army both allowed to fire through the back of your own units and possessing extremely powerful ranged units. Also you are the one faction where leaders can hide in the back of units while providing full buffs, instead of having to risk them getting killed to get benefits.

Skavenslaves run up 7th daemons for most broken unit in all of Ham history

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 4, 2021

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

unit spolight videos are back featuring the big Khorne red doggos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7q0Ms7ej7A

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A brand new player probably isn't going to have a bunch of DLC or 1, so I'd go with Vortex Tyrion for sure. Helves are a solid jack of all trades army, which helps with establishing a baseline experience before messing with weirder army comps later on, and Tyrion's start is about as safe and basic as you could hope for. If it ends up being too easy or boring, they can always start fresh with something else, but I still think having the tutorial island experience with training wheels on is a good start.

For similar reasons, I think starting as Empire in 1 was the best start for a newbie, but I don't really think the Mortal Empires version of them in 2021 is as newbie friendly. Having to deal with the imperial mechanics isn't the end of the world or anything, but it's just a layer of added complexity getting in the way of establishing a baseline experience. Obviously it's a flat out more difficult start than it was in the early life of Warhammer 1 too though, with more enemies to deal with.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 4, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The battle difficulty changes are overstated imo. Hard basically means the AI has enough morale to actually reach your main force and not get owned by ranged/cav/spells/a badass dragon

That's not the issue. It's the debuffs that you get as the player in higher difficulties like VH and Legendary. They make frontline infantry basically irrelevant because they're too slow and don't have enough HP or morale to go up against enemy units that have been buffed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's not the issue. It's the debuffs that you get as the player in higher difficulties like VH and Legendary. They make frontline infantry basically irrelevant because they're too slow and don't have enough HP or morale to go up against enemy units that have been buffed.

Ah, so like normal

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ah, so like normal

No, not like normal. Ranged is the superior option in normal, for sure. But melee cannot even trade favorably with melee in VH/L 90% of the time.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Electronico6 posted:

unit spolight videos are back featuring the big Khorne red doggos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7q0Ms7ej7A

Corn Dogs

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I played very hard battle difficulty and campaign for most of WH1 and WH2 and finally just knocked combat difficulty down to hard, or normal, and was amazed when my infantry could actually kill things and charges would break things

The difference between lower combat difficulties and VH, to me, is just playing "normally" versus doing things like 18 ranged troops and a combat lord, wizard stack to cheese endlessly replenishing ammo and the deadliness of ranged. The game isn't really "harder", you just play in a way that breaks it

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I feel like people overstate the need for all ranged doomstacks or they just want to auto-resolve most fights

I exclusively play vh/vh and you can use melee armies, even into late game, with most factions. I ran a comedy stack of white lions + war lions + loremasters and a guardian handmaiden with Alastar and it dunked on delves and lizards. I'm playing my first legendary campaign and I'm running a queek clanrat + monsters list. Which is also a ton of fun, and he also gets 1 turn rank 9 global recruit so it works out when things go poorly. There are tons of viable combos but you also need to recognize what you're facing and how to counteract it

the biggest thing is you have to play more cautiously and not try to solo 4 stacks to your 1

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It’s Empire no? They are so versatile that you can develop lots of different play styles.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You mainly just need some experience in the leader to pump up the melee stats and then your redline/special lord skills make the troops far surpass what the AI bonuses give it and all the wasted skill points the AI spent in reduced siege attrition and 5% underway intercept chance.

Though range just compounds the bonuses much harder since every unit attacks at once and gets more bonuses that stack better, like fire rate/damage/ammo compared to just chance to hit, weapon damage and charge bonus to both for a couple swings.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Sinteres posted:

A brand new player probably isn't going to have a bunch of DLC or 1, so I'd go with Vortex Tyrion for sure. Helves are a solid jack of all trades army, which helps with establishing a baseline experience before messing with weirder army comps later on, and Tyrion's start is about as safe and basic as you could hope for. If it ends up being too easy or boring, they can always start fresh with something else, but I still think having the tutorial island experience with training wheels on is a good start.

For similar reasons, I think starting as Empire in 1 was the best start for a newbie, but I don't really think the Mortal Empires version of them in 2021 is as newbie friendly. Having to deal with the imperial mechanics isn't the end of the world or anything, but it's just a layer of added complexity getting in the way of establishing a baseline experience. Obviously it's a flat out more difficult start than it was in the early life of Warhammer 1 too though, with more enemies to deal with.

If anything, I would argue Tyrion's start is TOO safe. Tyrion Vortex was my first Total War campaign ever, and I made the mistake of... becoming allies with all my neighbors (except Caldeor), because they were all willing, and I ended up with nobody to fight within a ten-turn march of my own territory, which was confusing to say the least.

Then the demons arrived, and guess what! your allies don't give a poo poo about that, so my unpracticed rear end got curbstomped.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://youtu.be/iOgTybtRHxU

Another important video

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Muscle Tracer posted:

If anything, I would argue Tyrion's start is TOO safe. Tyrion Vortex was my first Total War campaign ever, and I made the mistake of... becoming allies with all my neighbors (except Caldeor), because they were all willing, and I ended up with nobody to fight within a ten-turn march of my own territory, which was confusing to say the least.

Then the demons arrived, and guess what! your allies don't give a poo poo about that, so my unpracticed rear end got curbstomped.

It's not quite as baby easy now that VCoast is around, and theoretically Grom, though Eltharion usually takes care of him in my experience. The inner ring minor factions tend to be kind of dickbags too, though obviously not on the scale of outright enemy factions. I think learning the hard way that the rituals can be a punch in the face is just something players might just have to go through though. I played as Mazdamundi in my first campaign, and never finished it because I got pissed off at Chaos spawning in and razing my cities on their way to the ritual sites.

FWIW my brother accidentally won a domination victory a few turns before he would have finished the last vortex ritual on his first campaign as Tyrion, but he had a lot of previous experience with other total war games, and I warned him what to expect with the rituals.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Southpaugh posted:

I think if someone is new to this game and playing on normal, and they find themselves relying on corner camping or bad habits to win fights they should probably get themselves to youtube and learn how to play.

This smacks really hard of "git gud", which I don't love. A good new player experience should introduce a player to the important elements of the game through the game without overwhelming them or reinforcing cheese strategies, and certainly without requiring them to study Sun Tzu's The Art Of Skavenslaves on youtube before being able to play reasonably competently.

In vanilla TW:W2, I would argue that Tyrion is almost certainly the optimal NPE because you get exposed to:

- a solid, but not invincible, frontline
- ranged units
- cavalry
- magic

from very early on, plus you're set up on a very defensible position that allows you to see the pitfalls of overextending yourself without risking your core too much. As the tech tree rolls out, you get access to a limited number of sidegrades and added complexity at a fairly reasonable rate. A player might fall into the trap of rolling lothern sea guard as their backline forever, but I think there's diverse enough options in the roster that it's not going to happen by default (compared to, say, Dwarfs, where the optimal strategy is "form square, deploy smog".)

I'd have suggested Malekith instead but I think that Dork Elves lose by virtue of being a hair too easy to get in over your head with

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Gimmick army for Alistair.

Works even better with Mixu's lords.

These are the clutch answers, but the rework to the building lines does mean you're probably just going to be able to pick them up now, which is great. I like to have ~2 units of them early game for flanking front lines or dealing with any unusually tanky early stacks you run into. You can find a lot of use for them when you start in the badlands, but against the other HE start positions they are just in a very weird meta spot where they are only gonna have a lot of utility if you get one of those weird TONS of spearmen armies the AI sometimes spam. Their key role of being a can opener doesn't make a ton of sense when there are no cans to be opened.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
HE economy is probably easier to get a handle on than DE economy too. The DE being so reliant on slaves can be a hassle early if you don't realize it while the HE just need to develop their provinces.

Also definitely didn't realize that they had rolled Sisters/Handmaidens into the Grove line, that works nicely and means White Lions might see some use. It does mean that I'm probably never going to hire ellyrian reavers or silver helms when I can get war lions and eagles for similar purposes for one less building slot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

ChickenWing posted:

This smacks really hard of "git gud", which I don't love. A good new player experience should introduce a player to the important elements of the game through the game without overwhelming them or reinforcing cheese strategies, and certainly without requiring them to study Sun Tzu's The Art Of Skavenslaves on youtube before being able to play reasonably competently.

I'd have suggested Malekith instead but I think that Dork Elves lose by virtue of being a hair too easy to get in over your head with

I'm not trying to say git gud - as thats always dismissive, but like, theres plenty of trial and error with getting comfortable at a game and thats the time where players bounce off and lots of people watch youtube for strategies and so on now. Is there even a tutorial for combat in WH2? I haven't looked as its like my 6th TW title. I just started campaigns and went from there.

Also, I think DE are a bit fragile across the board and other than cheap AP ranged they are fairly un-intuitive.