Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«408 »
Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

the launch of sigmar and the turmoil in the fantasy thread was one of the funniest times in SA imo, similar to star citizen or whatever.

Its kinda a shame that it all died down cause it was really hilarious. Everybody was actually looking forward to a big overhaul cause fantasy was kinda hosed and it just kept getting worse with every detail. I wasn't too invested cause I hadn't played in ages but I was looking forward to it and... man it was just really funny.

Fat fantasy-marines > You have to rebase everything > 6 pages of nonsensical rules > Old army joke rules > No points, everything on model count > Bretonnia is dead > Khorne Bloodbound Bloodblade Warband Bloodsecrator (this is not made up)

Last I looked the new AoS thread is just people asking which guys to buy and listing their collections like the 40k thread.

I was eagerly awaiting Fantasy 9th edition. There were weird, unbelievable rumours but I ignored them and a GW rep said that no tabletop factions were going to be discontinued so I was confident and excited about the future... Then I was utterly stunned and brutally owned when I read the original draft AoS rules that GW published online. What. The gently caress? 6 pages?! Regiments are gone?! Fantasy space marines?!

Then they published the legacy rules for all the old armies. Karl Franz was now a "Freeguild General on Griffon", what?The Empire was destroyed and it's 10,000 years in the future or something (whatever), but apparently this doesn't somehow count as discontinuing the faction according to GW. They also added a bunch of insulting bullshit about mustaches and talking to yourself for in-game bonuses to rub salt into the wound, making it obvious that the factions were totally discontinued.

Then they put out some dreadful Black Library novels and ebooks which were hilarious garbage. I was really mad but it was also really funny when people started posting purple prose excerpts from the AoS novel in the fantasy thread. I want to go and find the quotes now because that poo poo was hilarious.

All of the art was garbage, too. It varied from technically competent yet utterly dull to 1st year art student levels. And the naming conventions, the names!

I got owned by a toy soldier company and I'm still butthurt about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Dramicus posted:

It was the opposite, in one of the trailers the sisters of the thorn were shown riding side-saddle because CA was too lazy to make new animations.

Gejnor posted:

No they were riding side-saddle on Pegasuses, as did bretonnian ladies and uh.. why am i bringing this up again please forget i said anything no no don't read this forget you saw it please no! NO! N-

Ohhh, because that's too ladylike for the characters. I think I missed that whole peaceful and justifiable discussion.

nopantsjack posted:

Its kinda a shame that it all died down cause it was really hilarious. Everybody was actually looking forward to a big overhaul cause fantasy was kinda hosed and it just kept getting worse with every detail. I wasn't too invested cause I hadn't played in ages but I was looking forward to it and... man it was just really funny.

I never played Fantasy, but feel like I always heard it was cleaner/better-balanced than 40k. Was it just hosed in the same way? The inherent impossibility of balancing a game for a bunch of competitive grognards with 20+ armies that each have an entire BOOK of units/equipment, many of them dreamt up and arbitrarily-costed by whatever single person happened to working that day?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avasculous posted:

I never played Fantasy, but feel like I always heard it was cleaner/better-balanced than 40k. Was it just hosed in the same way? The inherent impossibility of balancing a game for a bunch of competitive grognards with 20+ armies that each have an entire BOOK of units/equipment, many of them dreamt up and arbitrarily-costed by whatever single person happened to working that day?
There were definitely always stand-out armies, but WHFB was pretty solid through 6th and 7th editions. Chaos Demons (who were separated into their own army in 7th) and the elfs being the main exceptions. Then 8th edition hit and GW completely hosed things up with overpowered magic and a system that heavily skewed towards giant infantry blocks and monsters (cavalry were basically useless). They also completely ignored it for years with nothing but the most basic support. It was something like 8 or 9 months before the first 8th edition army book came out, for example. It was the height of the Kirby Era; the old CEO was a shitheel.

Things were looking up before the end though with some solid supplement releases and new army books. Then the End Times hit. I was pretty hopeful for the first two books and thought a 9th edition was on the way. The return of Nagash promised a big bad other than chaos and some rules changes like combined statlines for mounts and their riders were welcome. Then everything went to poo poo in 3-5 and, well, here we are.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005

Phoenixes we can believe in

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

what you think rolling 4 dice twice then handing the resultant dice to your opponent to save roll with the rend modifier is too much to account for for a single knight trying to hit someone with a lance?

e oh and 2 of the dice have different target numbers and don't modify the save roll because they're horsie hooves, simple

zzz zzzz... wait what? Sorry I fell asleep there when you got out your dice and official war rulerhammer. video games were the perfect setting for warhammer. the painted figures looked cool in stores at least. But May 31st needs to come already drat it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

ahh..what!? what?!
huh?!

best part of aos was gw changing all the names to ones they could copywrite. Love those aelfs and urks!

But hey, i hear shadespire is p good

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

The only mystery left,
is what I put in your tea.

Fuligin posted:

best part of aos was gw changing all the names to ones they could copywrite. Love those aelfs and urks!

But hey, i hear shadespire is p good

Skeletons being rattlebones is still my favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I actually named my daughter after the Pink ranger and will provide proof if challenged.

Steam!

Head!

Duardins!!!

«408 »