Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of crumbling and not, it's really weird watching a Rogue Idol break and rout. If there's anything that should crumble, it should be those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of crumbling and not, it's really weird watching a Rogue Idol break and rout. If there's anything that should crumble, it should be those.

Definitely. It even kind of does already as its health decreases and it gets less and less armor. It's just weird that it would try to run away, crumbling away makes far more sense for it.

But it does seem like CA kind of has an aversion to mixing crumbling and normal leadership mechanics in the same faction except edge cases (Aranessa and her human units, the Von Carstein Sylvanian auxiliaries). And at this point I don't really agree with that anymore, Vampires (Counts and Coasts) should differentiate between mindless undead, vampires and fell creatures (of the deeps or night, whatever) with only the first being subject to crumbling (but also very efficient to heal and resurrect) and the latter subject to rampage (at least when not in rage of lore of Vampires caster). And for other factions in cases where it makes sense, such as the Greenskin's rogue idol, the crumbling mechanic should probably also be used.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 23, 2020

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Truecon420 posted:

I have had this exact problem pop up as Grom since early in my campaign. Anyone else have reduced move distance after coming out of a march stanced turn

Yeah, it happened to me as Grom, was really frustrating as I was trying to finish up a Waagh at the time. It only seemed to last at most 10 turns though and then hasn't happened since, so I think it's triggered by something specific, but I wonder what

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Safety Factor posted:

Went back and tried a new Empire campaign and something in this patch kind of broke it. All of the text on the elector event dialog boxes are screwed up and it seems to be counting things against my authority level that it didn't before. For example, the vampires took out Averland almost immediately and I lost two authority over it. Before, the player had to be the one to kill the elector, not just some random NPC faction. Makes maintaining authority a lot more difficult.

My start was really good, but now I'm in a hole because some dumbasses got killed by vampires. :negative:

The event dialogue boxes are definitely screwed up but you always lost authority for electors being destroyed regardless of whether you did it or not - it just very rarely happened to be done by anyone else. It definitely makes things difficult though, Averland are destined to fall almost immediately.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This comes up after every patch, and I can't find a consistent fix: Steam is loving TERRIBLE at updating certain mods. The mods affected change at random, and it just doesn't loving update them at all. It SAYS it did, it insists it did, but it absolutely does not.

For example, I have spent the last twenty minutes trying to get Steam to actually give me the updated version of Gejnor's Green iz Best (thanks for the mod, btw, fuckin love it), but HOLY gently caress steam refuses to cooperate. I have tried literally loving everything short of sacrificing my first born to get the actual updated pack files and yet Steam just keeps giving me the previous version.

It won't delete the mod when I click the button in the launcher, nor will it delete the pack files when I hit unsubscribe. If I unsubscribe and then manually delete the files it finally recognizes wtf is up... and then when I resubscibe it promptly downloads the wrong version again.

I just cannot get Steam to deliver the updated version of the mod, and this isn't the loving only one. There's at least four mods that I use which are behaving like this, and they're not even big ones. Steam just seems to delight in loving everything up.

I've tried using Kaedrin's Mod Manager to unfuck things, and that doesn't seem to work. The problem really is Steam: it just doesn't loving want to update mods, completely randomly. I have no idea why the gently caress it does this, nor do I have any way around it. Valve, wtf?

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 23, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Truecon420 posted:

I have had this exact problem pop up as Grom since early in my campaign. Anyone else have reduced move distance after coming out of a march stanced turn
I definitely had a few turns where Grom had reduced movement, I wasn't using any stances. All my other armies worked fine. It eventually cured itself.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Randarkman posted:

A thing I was recently wondering about because I saw a battle replay just now with Aranessa VSea and she routed like a normal human unit, and I thought why isn't like this with necromancers as well? Wouldn't that make more sense? As far as I am aware necromancers, while they are corrupted they aren't really mindless, relentless, unbreakable undead, they're what's holding the creatures that are like this together.

It got me thinking a bit more about the rest of the undead rosters, particularly Vampire Counts and whether really all of their units really should be the mindless undead that are subject to crumbling mechanics.

Undead don't crumble because they're mindless. All of the undead in Warhammer, intelligent or otherwie, are held together by force of will, either that of the mage using necromancy to keep them animated, or their own autonomous will. If you shake the conviction of the intelligent controller that they can keep moving around, then they stop moving. They're all dead, they just don't know it yet. That goes for necromancers, too. Extending your life with necromancy or studying the Books of Nagash kills you, turning you into a corpse animated by force of will.

Vampires, necromancers, and the more intelligent undead creatures should probably not be fearless, because they do have enough understanding of themselves and self-preservation to not want to be destroyed, but TWW2 is inheriting WHFB's workaround where crumbling is something a unit or model does instead of fleeing.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 24, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Chocobo posted:

I definitely had a few turns where Grom had reduced movement, I wasn't using any stances. All my other armies worked fine. It eventually cured itself.

I think you move slower with a waaagh army because they don't get your movement bonuses. I definitely noticed my highly skilled lords moving slower with an attached waaagh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Necromancers, ghouls, and a few other units had "Alive!" as a special rule in tabletop in older editions and did function like suggested, but by 8th they killed the distinction and had everyone crumble for simplicity. I suspect if they hadn't, CA would've ported the distinction over.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Once I figured out how to actually siege without being a dumb poo poo both in Offensive and Defensive battles, I've auto-resolved them less.

Hey thanks for giving me Kislev without having to break pacts Azhag!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 23, 2020

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Nice to see people are already working on mods with this system. Sound like it's decently flexible.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Anno posted:

Nice to see people are already working on mods with this system. Sound like it's decently flexible.

I would bet a significant amount of money that this system is used to give WoC their Marks of Chaos

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Alright, finally managed to get things to behave. Steam was being an annoying poo poo, but KMM seems to have unfucked things finally? Somehow? I don't even know. Green iz Best is working now. That's all that matters.

Steam, I love you, but sometimes I want to hit you.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Undead don't crumble because they're mindless. All of the undead in Warhammer, intelligent or otherwie, are held together by force of will, either that of the mage using necromancy to keep them animated, or their own autonomous will. If you shake the conviction of the intelligent controller that they can keep moving around, then they stop moving. They're all dead, they just don't know it yet. That goes for necromancers, too. Extending your life with necromancy or studying the Books of Nagash kills you, turning you into a corpse animated by force of will.

Vampires, necromancers, and the more intelligent undead creatures should probably not be fearless, because they do have enough understanding of themselves and self-preservation to not want to be destroyed, but TWW2 is inheriting WHFB's workaround where crumbling is something a unit or model does instead of fleeing.

Ah, I see. I guess I was going off my own assumptions about undead rather than how they actually are in the fluff. Though I do still think that not every undead unit should be fearless. And that the ones that are fearless should be much less capable of operating away from a Vampires caster than the ones who are.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Necromancers, ghouls, and a few other units had "Alive!" as a special rule in tabletop in older editions and did function like suggested, but by 8th they killed the distinction and had everyone crumble for simplicity. I suspect if they hadn't, CA would've ported the distinction over.

Yeah, I actually looked up some things between making the post and now. And the fluff for ghouls, even in 8th edition specifcally mentions how they aren't true undead creatures and are cowardly creatures that will try to flee from opponents that fight back too hard, but also that dark magic can compel them back into the fight. wWich again just sounds like lore of Vampires casters should have a more powerful leadership aura than other characters have that specifically applies to the undead and undead-adjacent creatures infused with dark magic (I think this goes for the bats as well, which don't seem to be specifcally undead in the lore, but instead warped by the dark magic that infuses all of Sylvania).

e: I guess another thing that might make sense (if possible within the engine) for Vampires is that units in your roster that aren't alive or vampiric aren't subject to the army losses morale penalty but instead get a similar effect when there are no remaining unbroken lore of Vampires casters remaining on the battlefield, so they'd crumble or flee depending on what kind of category they'd fall into. In theory that leaves them incredibly vulnerable to character sniping but both Counts and Vampirates have some of the most resilient characters, at least as far as the vampires go, in the game in any case and at least in multiplayer are frequently the last remaining unit (and doesn't necessarily mean they lose).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 23, 2020

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Anno posted:

This is really cool, I could see Canopic Jars (and Oathgold for the stunties) being used for this system, as well. Looks like CA was relatively open-ended about its implementation. Can't wait to see what people will do with it.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

terrorist ambulance posted:

I think you move slower with a waaagh army because they don't get your movement bonuses. I definitely noticed my highly skilled lords moving slower with an attached waaagh
Makes sense.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Chocobo posted:

Makes sense.

If this is true, I wish it would tell you somewhere. Anywhere

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay I've never really got into it with the fully developed Skaven warcrimemachine as the dwarfs before so how do I counter their poo poo right? I just got into a really gritty Snikch vs Thorgrim fight that left my army on the brink, the Stormvermin hold drat well against longbeards, their artillery is killing faster then mine and the ratling gunners were tearing my gyro-copters to shreds in a loose unit formation that resists bombing and the steam blast attack, also they get actual magic.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yep, happened in my game as well,

actually made Chaos a bit more interesting since the Ordertide didn't immediately stomp it.

In a Repanse/Settra co-op game we're doing, the vamps got pwnd and the Empire is now a massive confederation, Grimgor is also massive but held in check by some Skavens and the dorfs, and Mousillon has gobbled almost all of Brettonia (only Couronne/Marienburg left). The dorfs, strangely enough, are nowhere to be seen.

I have no idea what's going on in the New World ; but the high elves are very busy kicking each other's butts instead of kicking delfs which is somewhat entertaining.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Mazz posted:

I made this mod 5-7 years ago for when this was a worse problem in the first game (major settlements had 6 slots, not 8-12). Literally all it does is add a tier 4 option to minor settlements and that's all it will ever do. This unavoidably is going to sound like a humble brag but search by either most popular or top rated all time in the workshop, it's somewhere in the first 20 on the list.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165096283&tscn=1590225331

Credit where it's due, this is a great loving mod. :)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So if Gotrek dies while in your service, it breaks your campaign because you can't click on the recruit lord button anymore without it just crashing.

Nice

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Caidin posted:

Okay I've never really got into it with the fully developed Skaven warcrimemachine as the dwarfs before so how do I counter their poo poo right? I just got into a really gritty Snikch vs Thorgrim fight that left my army on the brink, the Stormvermin hold drat well against longbeards, their artillery is killing faster then mine and the ratling gunners were tearing my gyro-copters to shreds in a loose unit formation that resists bombing and the steam blast attack, also they get actual magic.

flame cannons are A+ against everything, but especially skaven. Rangers also rule and can go on commando missions to kill their artillery once the AI leaves it unguarded.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
(but speaking of Repanse : what do with Bretonnia when you have a massive amount of cash but hit the peasant cap ? Are 100% cav armies viable, even if you suck at micro ?)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kobal2 posted:

(but speaking of Repanse : what do with Bretonnia when you have a massive amount of cash but hit the peasant cap ? Are 100% cav armies viable, even if you suck at micro ?)

Yes, provided you pick cav units with good stats instead of the typical heavy cav stat line that relies on charge bonuses to make them not garbage. For Bretonnia, Questing Knights fill that role and are very massable in campaign.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kobal2 posted:

There are two stages of such armies. The first when you have the basic knights and have a stack of knights supported by an army of peasants. The second is when you have a stack of greil knights and just run rampant.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

yikes! posted:

flame cannons are A+ against everything, but especially skaven. Rangers also rule and can go on commando missions to kill their artillery once the AI leaves it unguarded.

I've never really got into it with Flame cannons before. Alot of dwarf stuff takes so long to develop that figuring out how to properly use some of it is something I never learned since by then most opposition is gone and I hate sitting around waiting for Chaos.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Kobal2 posted:

Peasants are far better archers and trebuchet goons than actual infantry once your Lord hits a vow and you can field full knights as your front line *and* your flankers. No micro needed, hammer and anvil will work. I believe Knights Errant is the first tier where this works and on VH Alberic most of my armies were 10+ of those guys, assuming better vows weren't up. Otherwise you do the same with Questing and can micro as little as "anti infantry fights infantry, anti large seeks monsters and other cav."

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

dogstile posted:

So if Gotrek dies while in your service, it breaks your campaign because you can't click on the recruit lord button anymore without it just crashing.

Nice

Seems like the Community Bug Fix mod on the workshop fixes this

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Grom campaign finished. whew. cool things:

- killed queek, snikch, settra, imrik, tyrion, and eltharion himself before the final fight
- won two heroic victories against skaven ambushes
- won a battle against The Sentinels where they outnumbered me 8000-900

Not so cool:

- made the game much longer by not paying enough attention to the Food Merchant
- also made the game much longer by not taking peace offerings from rats and TKs because thematic
- forever getting Pyrrhic Victories in final battles

Grom's campaign was great. I love the new greenskin stuff and hope focused campaigns become more common

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Grom on vortex. Eltharion had the Sword of Khaine. Now I have it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dwarves? Who's got a problem with dwarves? Just underway over to Karaz-a-Karak right at the start of the campaign and nip most of the issue in the bud right then and there.

Grimgor turn 5

So yes, virtually the entire army deployed at one gate, while Grimgor + The Immortulz deployed at the other. Grimgor and company proceeded to march through it and kill the two units on the ground there while most of the garrison just sat in front of everything else doing nothing for most of the battle. Losses were entirely due to tower fire before the Doom Diver finally took it down.

Still surprised they broke so early though.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

There is no "first dragon" fwiw. It's totally random which one you get.

You got the absolute hardest one. The Star Dragon is the one you're supposed to tackle much later.

Thanks. I should have realized that it was random. I thought CA was just not pulling any punches on that campaign.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ammanas posted:

im playing without any mods and have the white pixel.
I'm just sharing what i heard :shrug:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Ammanas posted:

im playing without any mods and have the white pixel.
Check your data folder for anything stray in there

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
In hindsight I probably should have just peaced out with Settra. I thought I had him on the ropes at the start but his last capital was pumping out like 40g everytime I sacked it so I I let him live.
After that though Eltharion showed up out of nowhere and completely ruined my stride, then with room to breathe Settra built up a poo poo ton of death stacks that my goblins really couldn't handle. Found myself getting absolutely teamed by tomb kings whenever I left an army slightly out of position.
At the end on turn like loving 100 I finally ended the bastard and it was deeply satisfying razing his poo poo to the ground.

Found myself poo poo broke after this disaster of a war and decided to start sacking the closest thing I could find which was Clan Mors. This didn't go to plan as 2 ratstacks ambushed Grom and completely annihilated me from afar. I feel hellwar 2.0 coming along now but am at least keen to get out of this lovely desert.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

TheHoosier posted:

- made the game much longer by not paying enough attention to the Food Merchant

Yeah..

Pay attention to the food stuff guys or you won't get to finish the drat campaign

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Gave Skarsnik a shot, my usual early strategy with him has to get a generic Gobbo Warlord right away to act as bait, early on an actual ambush rarely happens, but if they get drawn out, they get stuck in the Zone of Control and are forced to engage both armies with the bait as the "lead". With the new Waagh system in battles, that means two things:

* You're stuck with the generic Waagh and not Skarsniks special one :(

* The points needed for each Waagh use is based on your sole general :)

In a rather short battle, this meant I got to use the generic Waagh 5-6 times, the first few it charged faster than the ability lasted. Pretty wierd interaction.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lord Koth posted:

Dwarves? Who's got a problem with dwarves? Just underway over to Karaz-a-Karak right at the start of the campaign and nip most of the issue in the bud right then and there.

Grimgor turn 5

So yes, virtually the entire army deployed at one gate, while Grimgor + The Immortulz deployed at the other. Grimgor and company proceeded to march through it and kill the two units on the ground there while most of the garrison just sat in front of everything else doing nothing for most of the battle. Losses were entirely due to tower fire before the Doom Diver finally took it down.

Still surprised they broke so early though.

Hell yeah

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is it just me or do none of the new HE units have unique voice lines? Feel like they all use stuff from old units.

Edit: Except for the Archmages I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Broken Cog posted:

Is it just me or do none of the new HE units have unique voice lines? Feel like they all use stuff from old units.

Edit: Except for the Archmages I guess

The lions, sort of