Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're all supposed to more or less look like they're greater daemons, but that's more because they want to than because they have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Note the location of some of the chains binding Slaanesh to have a gnarly idea of how serious the Aelves are at keeping Slaneesh Imprisoned.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The whole Seven Degrees of Skaven Bacon thing that TW:WH2 has going on in place of diplomacy continues to annoy me.
I'm playing as Clan Mors and deliberately avoided going West from Charnel Valley, to avoid coming into contact with - and subsequently pissing the hell out of - anyone involved in the Lustria Thunderdome.

And yet, it's less than a dozen turns from the start before the loving Spine of Sotek Dwarves declare war on me. I'm not even able to contact them, but they can declare war on me. And it just spirals from there. Presumably they spend every waking moment poo poo-talking me to anyone who'll listen, so the- 'Oh sorry, Teclis, I didn't even know there was an entire loving continent out that way, let alone know you were there. And what's that? You're declaring war on me, and will then spend the next twenty turns poo poo-talking me to your inbred brother, who'll then drag every loving High Elf faction into war with me? Cool, thanks for the message."

I genuinely don't mind that there aren't a swathe of options when it comes to diplomacy, but the AI being able to war dec you before you've even met them is some of the most frustrating bullshit in the game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Surely chaining up the titty and donger only makes slaanesh hornier and more powerful

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

That's not just a Skaven thing, as play any of the Evil factions and you'll see the same thing - occasionally a faction you're nowhere near and you haven't even met will declare war on you. I'm sure it can happen with Order factions as well, but playing around with some Chaos campaigns and running into that has it fresh in my mind. And yes, it is incredibly dumb as they're often so far away that you won't even see an army from them. But that's CA diplo for you - particularly CA diplo for Total Warhammer.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
One time I was playing as Khazrak having a good time in Estalia and Boris Todbringer rolled in 20 turns after declaring war on me. He was at war with like the vampire counts, some empire factions and norsca. Yet he sent his whole 20 stack army after me.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

One time I was playing as Khazrak having a good time in Estalia and Boris Todbringer rolled in 20 turns after declaring war on me. He was at war with like the vampire counts, some empire factions and norsca. Yet he sent his whole 20 stack army after me.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I like that Khorne has a big smile 🙂

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
When you think about it, that's really just him being characterised true to lore.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They really should do a dlc or update that just reskins toddy as tom with the voice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

They really should do a dlc or update that just reskins toddy as tom with the voice.

That was definitely an amazing stream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also extremely loud clanking wherever he goes on the battlefield.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I say the Horned Rat is actually just Tzeentch and Nurgle fighting for the ratmen's worship. That the "Horned Rat" is from vision to vision one of two different gods that hate each other is a fun way to explain skaven internecine backstabbing. Khorne isn't involved because they're cowardly and Slaneesh isn't involved because they're gross.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

In 40k it's more clear that there are just the Big Four, but Fantasy has lots of minor gods. The Elf gods are real and a legitimate challenge to Chaos, for example. Hashtut, the Chaos Dwarf god, is his own evil firey thing, and not an aspect of the big four. The big rat dat makes all of da rules is his own thing too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I strongly doubt that slaanesh is not involved with the skaven because if there is one thing they do, it's gently caress. Also they are very horny, love horns, it's in the name, horned rat. The horniest rat.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Skaven gently caress in a robotic mass production way though. Real reason I'm posting tho is Khorne definitely looks like the defacto winner of "most worship" considering the setting revolves around endless warfare:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

SuperKlaus posted:

I say the Horned Rat is actually just Tzeentch and Nurgle fighting for the ratmen's worship. That the "Horned Rat" is from vision to vision one of two different gods that hate each other is a fun way to explain skaven internecine backstabbing. Khorne isn't involved because they're cowardly and Slaneesh isn't involved because they're gross.

Nah the horned rat became a genuine chaos god in age of sigmar

Makes sense too since if enough people believe in something in warhammer it tends to become real. And there are many millions of skaven completely sure of the fact that there is a Horned Rat God

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Doomykins posted:

Skaven gently caress in a robotic mass production way though. Real reason I'm posting tho is Khorne definitely looks like the defacto winner of "most worship" considering the setting revolves around endless warfare:

Yeah but don't you only give power to Khorne if you're REALLY into fighting though?

The average scared as poo poo guy on the battlefield who just wants to go home probably isn't powering Khorne much

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

SuperKlaus posted:

Nah, its always super lame when people try to reduce the Horned Rat or Hashut into aspects of the big four. Its more fun to have them as their own unique and weird thing that is connected to Chaos as a whole but isn't directly a part of the main four gods.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In 40k at least it's pretty explicit that all the gods wax and wane in power, because they'll team up to take down the biggest threat on the block. Slaanesh is noted as the weakest overall though, with Nurgle following a pretty predictable boom/bust cycle and Khorne usually being slightly stronger of the other two. In really old lore, also, it was stated that Khorne was the oldest and Genghis Khan was the first bloodthirster elevated. (40k taking place in a parallel version of the real universe). The idea is that rage is the basest emotion.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Are the Chaos Gods in Fantasy as they are in 40K? Manifestations of civilization's subconscious?

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Subconscious isn't the right word, but basically yes. The Warp/Aethyr is responsive to the thoughts of mortals, and the chaos gods seem to have formed from basic feelings and impulses - anger, desire, etc. This is at least somewhat known in-universe too; the Liber Chaotica books contain a lecture given by Magnus the Pious to a Sigmarite conclave on despair's relationship to Nurgle and its theological significance.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In 40k at least it's pretty explicit that all the gods wax and wane in power, because they'll team up to take down the biggest threat on the block. Slaanesh is noted as the weakest overall though, with Nurgle following a pretty predictable boom/bust cycle and Khorne usually being slightly stronger of the other two. In really old lore, also, it was stated that Khorne was the oldest and Genghis Khan was the first bloodthirster elevated. (40k taking place in a parallel version of the real universe). The idea is that rage is the basest emotion.

Also in the old lore Ronald loving Reagan was the first Lord of Change raised by Tzeentch. Old 40k ruled.

Also they noticeably made the Chaos gods profiles more explicitly villainous as things went along. Khorne used to be not just about warfare but specifically honorable warfare. Massacring innocents or those who couldn't fight used to piss him, basically he operated off Predator rules. Now it's all he only cares if blood flows. More boring if you ask me.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eimi posted:

Also in the old lore Ronald loving Reagan was the first Lord of Change raised by Tzeentch. Old 40k ruled.

Also they noticeably made the Chaos gods profiles more explicitly villainous as things went along. Khorne used to be not just about warfare but specifically honorable warfare. Massacring innocents or those who couldn't fight used to piss him, basically he operated off Predator rules. Now it's all he only cares if blood flows. More boring if you ask me.

They used to have half-eldar's back in Rogue Trader. The Ultramarine's had one.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

They used to have half-eldar's back in Rogue Trader. The Ultramarine's had one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Yeah that's The Great Horned Hat.

THE giant rat that makes all of the rules.

Kind of side related, has there ever been any recent official art for the other Chaos Gods?

Edit: Question for people familiar with AoS. So the Great Horned Rat is a Chaos God, Verminlords are its Greater Daemons. Are regular Skaven now Lesser Daemons or are they still just Skaven?

Skaven are just mortals still. Verminlords are technically just Daemons as he does not have any lesser ones.

As for the art, the Age of Sigmar RPG gave art for all the primary gods of the game including the Chaos Gods so these are the most recent art.

Khorne

Nurgle (The Big guy in the back.)

Tzeentch

Slaanesh

Great Horned Rat

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Nah the horned rat became a genuine chaos god in age of sigmar

Makes sense too since if enough people believe in something in warhammer it tends to become real. And there are many millions of skaven completely sure of the fact that there is a Horned Rat God

There are millions of empire men completely sure that skaven don't exist and that didn't help.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zzulu posted:

Yeah but don't you only give power to Khorne if you're REALLY into fighting though?

The average scared as poo poo guy on the battlefield who just wants to go home probably isn't powering Khorne much
You give power to Khorne if you kill in rage or and hate.

Being just into fighting is going for Gork and Mork.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Slaanesh being the weakest is now being stated as being an aspect of being the newest of the chaos gods. It's being pushed pretty well that Slaanesh by its nature has more potential than the other gods.
Slaanesh rather than drawing power from an emotion like Rage, Hope, or Despair, instead draws power from the excess of any emotion. The most devoted servants of the other chaos gods are technically granting power to Slaanesh as well by going to the extremes on what their gods prefered emotions and activities.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this is the most recent official art ive seen of slaanesh:

Look at all those erect monoliths. :quagmire:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

You give power to Khorne if you kill in rage or and hate.

Being just into fighting is going for Gork and Mork.

Slaanesh being the weakest is now being stated as being an aspect of being the newest of the chaos gods. It's being pushed pretty well that Slaanesh by its nature has more potential than the other gods.
Slaanesh rather than drawing power from an emotion like Rage, Hope, or Despair, instead draws power from the excess of any emotion. The most devoted servants of the other chaos gods are technically granting power to Slaanesh as well by going to the extremes on what their gods prefered emotions and activities.

Slaanesh actually has an emotion, it’s love/lust/desire. It’s just desire can be anything, desire to kill or love or burn or so on. WH40k also has the thing where conscious worship of a warp entity can stop the distribution of emotional empowerment, which is why the Imperial Faith actually works.

An imperial soldier might be a violent raging warrior but provided it’s righteous anger for the Emperor and he doesn’t get too lost in it he will merely empower the Emperor instead of Khorne.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm lookin' at the new horned rat the same way I look at all the new age of sigmar crap.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The skaven are pretty much directly lifted and unchanged tho

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The skaven are pretty much directly lifted and unchanged tho

something about the art direction. Lore is one thing but there's this weird vibe about everything with age of sigmar.

That and all the models look like they're caught in a fukkin' tornado.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Age of Sigmar (especially the Stormcast stuff) has a cheesy power metal album cover look.

Also this:

It's stupid but Warhammer runs on stupid so I kind of like it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It's too stupid.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Skaven are just mortals still. Verminlords are technically just Daemons as he does not have any lesser ones.

Thanks to everyone who explained, also the art :)

Follow up question, what is the Great Horned Rat's domain? I mean, obviously Skaven, but I also read somewhere that he's meant to embody ruin and decay (and decay not in a Nurgle sense, more the deterioration of civilisations?) I'm wanting to brush up on my Skaven lore, going to play them when Old World launches.

This thread has turned me to big rule-making rats :v:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Southpaugh posted:

It's too stupid.

What you don't like a guy who has an axe with NO LESS THAN FOUR serrated blades and carries THE PORTAL OF SKULLS and he's the BLOODSECRATOR

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

If the Slaneesh greater daemon, Keeper of Secrets, makes it in the game I hope they use the newest design. It's the first time I really liked a Slaneesh demon design.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Laughing Zealot posted:

If the Slaneesh greater daemon, Keeper of Secrets, makes it in the game I hope they use the newest design. It's the first time I really liked a Slaneesh demon design.

Yeah, the redesign of the Keeper of Secrets is fantastic. The old design had no idea what to do with them, but that one works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Laughing Zealot posted:

Slanesh obsession with crab claws is mystifying

Just give her long creepy talons