Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
In my Von Carstein ME campaign yesterday all my zombies and skelly boys got COVID and had to take naps for three turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Vlad is insane lmao dude just doesn't give a gently caress. i don't like winds of death very much though, it does a lot of damage sure but you need something that kills blobs more than lines.

also gently caress free skeletons we roll with free zombies. why pay a premium for free skeletons. it's vlad and isabella and a dozen vampire heroes that do all the damage
Arrange your blobs of zombies in a nice thick line of shambling dead so that your enemy is in a nice straight line. That or just Pit of Shades everything. If they ever make a vampire LL that has both Pit of Shades and Wind of Death I'll probably never play another lord ever again.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Vlad is insane lmao dude just doesn't give a gently caress. i don't like winds of death very much though, it does a lot of damage sure but you need something that kills blobs more than lines.

also gently caress free skeletons we roll with free zombies. why pay a premium for free skeletons. it's vlad and isabella and a dozen vampire heroes that do all the damage

That's what Purple Sun of Xereus and Pit of Shades are for. But if you want to kill lines you can't do better than Winds of Death, and your skeleton/zombie hordes are pretty good at making the enemy form lines for you to kill.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Finally got around to playing a Very Hard mortal empires campaign with Pestilins. It’s turn 110 and I’m still working to consolidate that bit of southern Lustris you start on. This is going to be a long rear end campaign.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Have fun with all of the chaos stacks that periodically spawn down there! I think they need to redo how they have those spawn in, they completely gently caress over any faction near them and there's nothing they can do about it since they're nowhere near where the main chaos faction spawns in at.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mustang posted:

Have fun with all of the chaos stacks that periodically spawn down there! I think they need to redo how they have those spawn in, they completely gently caress over any faction near them and there's nothing they can do about it since they're nowhere near where the main chaos faction spawns in at.

Yeeeeeep I’ve got a fleet sailing right to where the kraken dude spawns and I’m racing down to deal with it before they start razing poo poo. I just got finished beating back the Huntsman this poo poo is crazy.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Winds of Death isn't even bad on large blobs. If the blob is large enough it probably kills equivalently to Purple Suns or Pit of Shades.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

it's also way better as an opener, the dwarf and empire AI will usually stay in formation and wait for you to attack because they theoretically have ranged superiority so you can just fly up on your dragon and delete three of their most dangerous cards

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Flavahbeast posted:

it's also way better as an opener, the dwarf and empire AI will usually stay in formation and wait for you to attack because they theoretically have ranged superiority so you can just fly up on your dragon and delete three of their most dangerous cards
Only three?

Actually yeah its usually only three because their unit formations are often pretty thin, arent they?

DE and HE often do the same thing too. Its nice.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I've started playing again relatively recently and I swear the AI has started moving its units in columns across the battle map sometimes now. Like, I do not remember them ever doing that before. It doesn't seem useful at all, but it looks cool I guess.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I feel like some AoS stuff like the Kurnoth Hunters wouldn't be too far off from the current WE roster and could easily be centerpiece units for the DLC. Introducing AoS/End Times units wouldn't be the worst thing ever if they fit thematically (I say this mostly because I really, really want Stormfiends).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In Troy, when you get an AI lord into your faction you get to assign all their skill ups yourself instead of keeping the dumbshit AI setup :getin:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In Troy, when you get an AI lord into your faction you get to assign all their skill ups yourself instead of keeping the dumbshit AI setup :getin:
Oh thank you lord and saviour jesus CA-iteratively-improving-things

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Do they have a normal day for revealing dlc? Obviously with Troy this week we won’t be seeing it for at least another week.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm on turn 100-something of my VC game so I probably should have figured this out earlier, but can you not attack settlements from the water? It makes me get on land and walk in front of them to siege them.

Also did you guys know that the Galleon's Graveyard doesn't have walls? I didn't, but I found out when Nakai sailed across the ocean and occupied it!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I find the AI's ability to react to where you're going to put down a spell obnoxious. But that at least is something the human player can do, if they react quickly enough (basically impossible most of the time).

HOWEVER, the AI moving a unit away the moment I fire my siege weapon at them is just cheating and not exactly fun to deal with.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I just tell it to fire at the floor instead, they can't tell then.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Rhjamiz posted:

Finally got around to playing a Very Hard mortal empires campaign with Pestilins. It’s turn 110 and I’m still working to consolidate that bit of southern Lustris you start on. This is going to be a long rear end campaign.

I'm also 100 turns into a Pestilins campaign, and was expecting it to be a slog but after I wiped out Itza and Blessed Dread with some spectacularly well timed plagues I just ran rough shod all the way to the Isthmus of Lustria.

I think Pestilins, after the plague buff/rework, is my favorite Skaven campaign now. Which is a shame because I loathe the Skaven but their campaigns, lords and units are so much fun. Looking foward to Moulder just for that start position.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

I find the AI's ability to react to where you're going to put down a spell obnoxious. But that at least is something the human player can do, if they react quickly enough (basically impossible most of the time).

HOWEVER, the AI moving a unit away the moment I fire my siege weapon at them is just cheating and not exactly fun to deal with.

I don't know what the trick is to dropping spells on units (that aren't blobbed up in melee - that's easy). I've seen enemy units scatter as soon as I click and I've seen them sit there for the whole twelve seconds it takes to get totally owned by Comet of Casablanca. Not sure what's different between the situations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Are there any mods for Warhams 2 that reset legendary lord quests so you can play them after confederating their factions. I want to see all the Legendary Lord campaigns. I remember Warhams 1 having something like that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SuperKlaus posted:

I don't know what the trick is to dropping spells on units (that aren't blobbed up in melee - that's easy). I've seen enemy units scatter as soon as I click and I've seen them sit there for the whole twelve seconds it takes to get totally owned by Comet of Casablanca. Not sure what's different between the situations.
I'm not sure either because I think its really weird that the AI will just sit there thinking "Hah, they have to come to us; we have ranged units :smug:" while one of my Vampires runs up towards their lines, drops a Wind of Death, then scoots back into my lines before they can do anything about it. But then if they are like, already moving towards me and I try to get cute with a spell... half their units stop moving and the other half start sprinting remarkably fast, which allows all of them to avoid the spell entirely.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Are there any mods for Warhams 2 that reset legendary lord quests so you can play them after confederating their factions. I want to see all the Legendary Lord campaigns. I remember Warhams 1 having something like that.
Is there something I am missing about quest battles? I find 99% of them tedious bullcrap.... why would you want to play all of them?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Is there something I am missing about quest battles? I find 99% of them tedious bullcrap.... why would you want to play all of them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoK20MzDtTg

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love the smell of alchemical gold in the morning.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
If you don't mind not having the quest text for the missions in-between fights, you can do all quest battles from the main menu.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Azran posted:

If you don't mind not having the quest text for the missions in-between fights, you can do all quest battles from the main menu.

IIRC you don’t get to pick your army so some of them are quite unwinnabld because of balance changes over the years?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Another Troy thing that manages to mainly hype me for Ham 3 is all the people with access are praising the map design. So far we've basically got "flat field with maybe some trees" and "incredibly annoying to play on" so having like, actual fun and varied maps would be great.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It sounds like siege AI got improved a lot which is nice, fighting lizardmen is disappointing right now because once you start attacking their cities you have all these crazy dinosaurs that can't get on the ramparts and just sit inside the walls sadly getting arrowed to death

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

The disconnect between Fealty and the Relations stat is loving obnoxious, 9 Fealty but I can't get a trade deal or non-aggression pact because they only have +4 relations sure ok

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
The most fun I've had with Skaven was making an army that was nothing but ratling gunners and Ikit. Watch enemy units come into range like it was loving D-Day.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
How varied is the climate in the potential Warhams 3 setting? Isn't it mostly chaos wastes and ogre mountains? I wonder if they do away with the climate system for that game. But then it would be difficult to integrate it into a Mortal Empires mode...

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Torrannor posted:

How varied is the climate in the potential Warhams 3 setting? Isn't it mostly chaos wastes and ogre mountains? I wonder if they do away with the climate system for that game. But then it would be difficult to integrate it into a Mortal Empires mode...

Chaos Dwarf land is barren but I don't think it's wastes in the fiction.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They changed the system from 1 to 2 so maybe they will change it again from 2 to 3. They upgraded ME to use 2's system so I dont see why they couldnt update it again.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I wouldn't be surprised if they actually flesh out the dark lands in 3 and its various biomes and maps rather than just rocks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Torrannor posted:

The Chaos Wastes themselves can be goddamn anything. You can be walking along in a polar waste and then end up in a jungle, then almost fall into an inland sea off a cliff. Or come across vast farms that tend themselves. Or any of the above but it's still as cold as the polar waste but the landscape doesn't seem to care. Which is one of the actual cool bits about the Wastes.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The Chaos Wastes themselves can be goddamn anything. You can be walking along in a polar waste and then end up in a jungle, then almost fall into an inland sea off a cliff. Or come across vast farms that tend themselves. Or any of the above but it's still as cold as the polar waste but the landscape doesn't seem to care. Which is one of the actual cool bits about the Wastes.

Yeah... or it could be lava and floating rocks.

Sometimes it ends up being that more often.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yeah... or it could be lava and floating rocks.

Sometimes it ends up being that more often.

It said waste! And thus I will present this setting using that word as the focus, instead of the more interesting word.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
sometimes there's blood and skulls too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For those not in the know, GW released a modular gaming table which confirms that canonically, the Warhammer world is all skulls beneath the surface.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Horned Rat's Domain is ruin and decay correct. Nurgle has a twisted cycle of death and rebirth that creates horrible noxious things. The Horned Rat is more of destroying everything so utterly only the most pathetic vermin could survive in wasteland left afterwards.

But the Rat has has a bunch of issues like the fact that it is not united on anything. Here is a fun entry on him from the recent AoS RPG.

this is a lot of words to say " I believe ghosts the horned rat are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Night10194 posted:

In of the Gotrek and Felix books, they explore part of the Chaos Wastes and come across an ancient city who's people are long dead, and it is filled with Beastmen. I think the city is described like an Aztec-one.

It's pretty cool, you should read at the very least the first G&F Omnibus.