Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Kazzah posted:

Yeah, that's probably Sniktch using his delete key. Don't worry, he can't use it on you.

The optional objectives can be seen on your objectives panel, it's one of the buttons in the bottom right. I forget the exact layout but if you click around for a minute you'll find them. They change according to your chapter.
Alright, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ai eshin cant do that. what happened is grimgors army lost a battle to greenskin rebels and got confederated by them

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ai eshin cant do that. what happened is grimgors army lost a battle to greenskin rebels and got confederated by them

Huh, I got the faction destroyed message.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'd really love to hear or read a write-up of what's been going on at Game's Workshop honestly.

Legal must have had a lot of sway, I remember them suing a children's book's author because the title of the book had the word "space marine" in it, and then they got so pissy they lost the case it was (one of?) the reason they started renaming everything to proprietary terms they could police better. Steamhead Duardin, lol, you win GW you can keep that one for yourselves.

Curiously they moved away from terms they probably COULD have policed already, like Eldar, too.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

KazigluBey posted:

Curiously they moved away from terms they probably COULD have policed already, like Eldar, too.

I thought Eldar was originally coined by Tolkein so maybe that's why? That's probably my bad memory/misremembering though :v:

V Ah cool, thanks. Then yeah "Eldar" may be owned by the Tolkein Estate so that'd explain GW drifting away from it. V

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Feb 24, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eldar is a tolkien-elvish word for elves yeah.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Playing on very hard and it’s a good spot I think. However by far the most frustrating thing is hordes of enemy agents which is massively unfun to deal with.

Are there any tips for dealing with this poo poo? Other than using a passive agents mod.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Start getting used to having more assassins is the real answer.

Some factions are better than others for this.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I've read that the AOS name changes are as much about being distinct for search engines as for legal reasons, though I guess if they weren't able to legally hold the exclusive rights to the names, people would just copy them and defeat the purpose of making them distinct for search engines, so the two reasons dovetail together.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Warhams is 90% ripped from LOTR as is so GW really should have just kept rolling with it rather than getting so pissy with trademark names and such.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Warhams is 90% ripped from LOTR as is so GW really should have just kept rolling with it rather than getting so pissy with trademark names and such.

honestly its really not ripped off from lotr that much. it rips off a lot of other things too

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit; Whoops.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 24, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Cythereal posted:

So in Anno 2070, my dumbass tycoon executives are once again threatening revolt if I don't build an ICBM silo, and once again I don't see the point in building that entire chain that I otherwise have no use for. The last time they pulled this, I don't them to bite me and lived through the insurrection. This time, I've built that fancy persuasion emitter thing at the academy and sent it over to my tycoon island.

How does it work, exactly? Just, click it once the ultimatum expires and the boss babies wet their pants because I won't build their penis replacement, and everything will go back to normal?

Try using Ikit Claw instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

orangelex44 posted:

Try using Ikit Claw instead.

Sorry, wrong thread.

Also, using nukes is exactly the wrong approach.

If they pull this poo poo again I'm feeding them to the sea lizards.

(I would adore a naval combat spinoff)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiler Kiwi posted:

honestly its really not ripped off from lotr that much. it rips off a lot of other things too

It rips off things that rip off LotR but the elves and orcs and poo poo, while obviously ripped off LotR ripoffs, have become pretty distinct.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Why care about Brets when we have Flesh Eater Courts, who are Brets but actually really nice and caring people who simply have a slight PR problem both in-universe and out.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I thought Eldar was originally coined by Tolkein so maybe that's why? That's probably my bad memory/misremembering though :v:

V Ah cool, thanks. Then yeah "Eldar" may be owned by the Tolkein Estate so that'd explain GW drifting away from it. V

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's not Tolkien-ish, it's straight up tolkien. Specifically it refers to the first elves created, who woke up under the stars. Eldar literally means "star-elves." Which is of course, why GW didn't even try to copywrite it like they did space marines. Tolkien's estate has done this sort of thing before: which is why dungeons and dragons and every fantasy thing since has "treants" and "halflings" and "balors."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Stuff like Aeldari is okay by me but Astra Militarum is so silly that even in books where GW mandates the use of the new name everyone still calls them the Imperial Guard.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

So... this is how it feels... to be krumped .......

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stuff like Aeldari is okay by me but Astra Militarum is so silly that even in books where GW mandates the use of the new name everyone still calls them the Imperial Guard.

Yeah. The AoS stuff just comes off far worse because we already have unique fantasy words for most races, that get ignored in favor of new and stupid things. Dawi vs Steamhead Duardin

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The old world having canon names for some of the fantasy races getting overriden by the AoS poo poo still annoys me. Dawi, Asur, Druchii, Asrai were somehow not trademark worthy?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think the dwarves in Age of Sigmar are just called Duardin. The "steamhead" stuff is just some subfaction I think

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just looking at the factions/races tabs on GW's AoS store page is just a list of ugly sounding nonsense words.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
To be fair, the only reason "elves" and "dwarves" aren't ugly sounding nonsense words is familiarity. Gotta start somewhere in the acclimation process.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
How do you guys handle siege attacks with Ikit Claws weapons teams armies? They're fun for field battles but tedious as hell when attacking walls which is all the time in WH2. I've never gotten far into any skaven campaign because of it, I just end up switching to a faction that has an easier time with sieges.

Breaking down towers and walls is easy enough but it seems like weapons teams only fire through breaches under the most perfect of circumstances.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortars from eshin dlc. They are gamebreaking in sieges

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Mustang posted:

How do you guys handle siege attacks with Ikit Claws weapons teams armies? They're fun for field battles but tedious as hell when attacking walls which is all the time in WH2. I've never gotten far into any skaven campaign because of it, I just end up switching to a faction that has an easier time with sieges.

Breaking down towers and walls is easy enough but it seems like weapons teams only fire through breaches under the most perfect of circumstances.
Bring several Plague-Wind Mortars, they're great at decimating the forces inside the walls during a siege and depopulating the walls so they can't keep manning turrets, which lets you scale the walls at your leisure.

I usually run 4 in any given Ikit Claw army.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

orangelex44 posted:

To be fair, the only reason "elves" and "dwarves" aren't ugly sounding nonsense words is familiarity. Gotta start somewhere in the acclimation process.

I mean, no, it's also because they're short and aesthetically pleasing. The worst nu-GW names are overblown portmanteaus.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

JT Jag posted:

Bring several Plague-Wind Mortars, they're great at decimating the forces inside the walls during a siege and depopulating the walls so they can't keep manning turrets, which lets you scale the walls at your leisure.

I usually run 4 in any given Ikit Claw army.

Scale...Walls? What is this thing you speak of? I just murder the entire garrison with the mortars, no need to actually enter the thing :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Noir89 posted:

Scale...Walls? What is this thing you speak of? I just murder the entire garrison with the mortars, no need to actually enter the thing :v:
Mortars sometimes can't range out all the way to the control zone--- where the enemy commander and their siege stuff often hang out--- unless they're firing from the walls.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
He/she usually rund away when army losses kicks in after the AI sacrificed one unit to many to the walls.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Mordja posted:

I mean, no, it's also because they're short and aesthetically pleasing. The worst nu-GW names are overblown portmanteaus.

I'm pretty willing to die on the hill that "dwarf" is a stupid word, and that it's purely exposure that means no one notices. It's really really hard to come up with fictional names for anything, because people's first reaction to new words is generally unfavorable. Doubly so if those words don't quite follow standard grammatical rules.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I think I've mentioned it before, but back when AoS launched GW was going so hard into trademarkable terms that even adjective + noun instances of a name would go untranslated in Spanish material. So like, Brides of Khaine, Collegiate Arcane, Free Cities, etc. Each paragraph would have at least half a dozen of these terms, fully untranslated even when they could 100% be translated with no loss of meaning. It made it basically impossible for non-English speakers to parse.
For WHFB, everything except for names was translated, which made it even more jarring. As a point of comparison, Blizzard translates everything, down to surnames - so does Wizards of the Coast. But GW was too petty to even do that, it was amazing.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

orangelex44 posted:

I'm pretty willing to die on the hill that "dwarf" is a stupid word, and that it's purely exposure that means no one notices. It's really really hard to come up with fictional names for anything, because people's first reaction to new words is generally unfavorable. Doubly so if those words don't quite follow standard grammatical rules.

Maybe that's a good reason to use words that are already part of the language instead of making up random poo poo, especially when describing things people are already familiar with. They could have just had unique faction names instead of the races themselves needing fake words to pretend they're not just dwarves and elves. They still refer to Soulblight as being vampires, so it's not even consistent.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

orangelex44 posted:

...you know that "dwarf" has another meaning, right?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

orangelex44 posted:

...you know the word "dwarf" is hundreds of years old, right? like, tolkein did not invent that concept.

do you have a source on the idea that people's first reactions to new words is unfavorable? i've never seen any claim like that and am really struggling to think of examples, especially given that language is constantly evolving and new words are constantly coming into common usage.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zzulu posted:

I think the dwarves in Age of Sigmar are just called Duardin. The "steamhead" stuff is just some subfaction I think

There is no "steamhead duardin" anywhere. It was a throwaway word from some really early AoS promotion that everyone remembers because it's so goddam stupid.

The steampunk dwarfs are called "kharadron overlords" which is also dumb, tbf. AoS names are kinda bad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Mordja posted:

...you know that "dwarf" has another meaning, right?

Dwarf is an ancient word that's been derived to English through about 4 other languages and thousands of years that has been used to describe mythological creatures for most of that time. The other English uses came later

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bloodsecrator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The steampunk dwarfs are called "kharadron overlords" which is also dumb, tbf. AoS names are kinda bad.

To be fair it's a bad enough concept that a good name couldn't save it.