Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Mantis42 posted:

Maybe they could do a crossover with the Dominions series.

that would be amazing but there's no way CA would make a total war from a pretty obscure swedish mapgame. Also I think Dominions' combat is already pretty good :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Root: Total War

root is a good tabletop game everyone should play it btw

This is the One True Answer.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I know it’ll never happen but I really like the idea of Total War: Battletech

The setting is super corny and just as bonkers with lore as compared to WH

And enough reworking that could be fresh for Total War

The Mechs could be lords or heroes and the rest of units are support (tanks/aircraft/troops)

Maybe armies could only max out a ‘lance of mechs’ per stack with a Lance being amount of mechs in a stack

A horde army could be a mercenary company with full air and ground support sub contracts

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Devorum posted:

This is the One True Answer.

i already considered it very high tier but when the next expansion comes out its going to be very high tier + has rats, the highest rating possible

altho the mice were also very nice

(all the art in root is great)

e: ive said in the discord but ill say it here too: Root's ability to give each faction a unique playstyle and gimmick that makes you have to engage them completely differently while still having them all operate with the same simple tactical wargame system without rule bloat is incredibly loving good design that makes every faction match up feel different while still expressing the identity of the factions, and I wish Warhammer Total War was able to replicate that sort of thing. Factions in TW have different gimmicks but their strategy gameplay is nigh identical and you don't have to consider their different abilities / scoring systems on the strategic map to nearly the same degree as you do in Root

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 27, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A mecha game would be pretty cool, but once you get too high tech it's hard to apply the classical field battle formula to it.

Similarly, while not a good idea for a Total War game, I always thought there was something to mostly bad Godzilla 2 game on the NES. It's an asymmetrical strategy game where you play as the military and must stop Godzilla and other kaiju. I think the concept was solid even if the game wasn't that fun.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mantis42 posted:

I need this a lot.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I would really like a TW game that followed the Dominions style arc of starting off with armies of grunts, but by the end its just a few godlike mages throwing spells at one another and any grunts just immediately get plastered. Starting off the armies and units are much more number dependent but as your heroes and LL's level up they become the main power in the battles

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think it kinda has to be medieval/fantasy because of melee combat and stuff. Empire/Napoleon was fine but they really emphasized melee combat in a setting most people thought was just two armies standing in line and shooting. It was a lot of that, of course, but TW’s bread and butter is blobs of melee troops.

Civil War would work but the overt racism on both sides as an aspect of military doctrine wouldn’t go over well. Having a legion of black or Irish troops designated solely for high-casualty combat roles and given obsolete equipment ain’t a great look.

As a combat game Civil War would be interesting because there were crazy technological innovations not unlike the Skaven. Of course, it would also have a lot of the other evil things that the Skaven are known for.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

*very Skaven-ishly* It's more about states' rights, yes-yes

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

An official game made out of that Hyrule: Total War mod for Medieval 2

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I get bored of historical Total Wars really fast. Warhammer Total War was the first title to really grab me. I have like 400 hours in it now.

Fantasy + ranged AND melee focus + really cool characters and models = a winning formula.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Well, I did it. I have to play empire now.

(Also Grom's mortal empire game is surprisingly short, just like his mortal empires game)

Or find someone to get me Plaguebearer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'd recommend Markus for an Empire run because of his more concise campaign objectives. It's definitely possible to get a short campaign done in <70 turns.

Speaking of which when CA decided to turbo buff Skaven by allowing them to abandon settlements, I managed to finish a Moulder campaign in 60 turns.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Everyone posted:

Total War ideas

You know what could make everyone happy is if they made the campaigns themselves modular again. Mod your own world into a game with all the improvements over the years.

Like, gently caress,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9awswnrSwM

This was a thing.

Yeah, how about a Total War: Open Warfare.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just had a very painful siege defence of Karak Eight Peaks as Wurrzag against Queek, who had an army with many many gold chevrons and Chieftains riding Mutant Rat Ogres.

Things would have been relatively straight forward even with the ugly buggers, but I somehow didn't notice a unit of Warpfire Throwers who snuck around the back and toasted rather a lot of my poor orc-y boys.

Those rat bastards were a pain in the arse, though. One unit of Clanrats stuck it out quite a while even when I managed to flank and sandwich them front and back.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People actually go for campaign objectives? My objective is basically always "kill everything that's in my way towards global domination"

Once I reach a certain treshold of power, where no one else can realistically oppose me, I consider the campaign won

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Jarvisi posted:

(Also Grom's mortal empire game is surprisingly short, just like his mortal empires game)

i have plaguebearer if you want it!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2165815189&searchtext=conditions

mod that changes mortal empires campaign goals to be things that you can do in a reasonable non-boring-slog amount of time, compatible with overhaul mods like SFO

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

Jarvisi posted:

I have plaguebearer if you still need LMK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I rarely play Vampirates but that intro cutscene is so goddamn good. Am I better off speccing Harkon for melee or for Lore of the Deeps?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 27, 2021

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

punishedkissinger posted:

i have plaguebearer if you want it!

Are you guys in the goonhammer chat?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

jokes posted:

I think it kinda has to be medieval/fantasy because of melee combat and stuff. Empire/Napoleon was fine but they really emphasized melee combat in a setting most people thought was just two armies standing in line and shooting. It was a lot of that, of course, but TW’s bread and butter is blobs of melee troops.

Civil War would work but the overt racism on both sides as an aspect of military doctrine wouldn’t go over well. Having a legion of black or Irish troops designated solely for high-casualty combat roles and given obsolete equipment ain’t a great look.

As a combat game Civil War would be interesting because there were crazy technological innovations not unlike the Skaven. Of course, it would also have a lot of the other evil things that the Skaven are known for.

Well, even though its sci-fi settings like Dune and Warhammer 40k do have a ton of melee, so that's not necessarily exclusive to fantasy/historic.

The thing though for me is that while in Napoleon you may have mostly had guns, you were still fighting line battles with bit regiments of soldiers.

More modern combat seems to favor much smaller squads and would end up playing more like Dawn of War, and that doesn't seem to jive with Total War.
But all you need is some sci-fi invention like lightsabers and really good laser shields or something and you can make melee the favored mode of combat even in the future.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Total War: Star Wars

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

Total War: Star Wars

Hey it worked for Galactic Battlegrounds.

The Clone War would work, but by the time you have Rebels on Hoth I don't know so much.

I'm telling you Total War Dune would be legit.

They could even take the Dune board game rules and apply it to the over world screen.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Zzulu posted:

People actually go for campaign objectives? My objective is basically always "kill everything that's in my way towards global domination"

Once I reach a certain treshold of power, where no one else can realistically oppose me, I consider the campaign won

Dont you get money for completing them?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

albany academy posted:

Dont you get money for completing them?

yeah completing early objectives plus bonus objectives can really boost your bank

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Cracker King posted:

Total War: Call of Duty

Only if they're still slowly marching in box formations before blowing each other away with M1s or a PPSH.

For more serious suggestions, I wouldn't mind them taking a crack at Pike and Shot. It's a nice frantic period of military development where you could have some fun unit variation.

Zzulu posted:

People actually go for campaign objectives? My objective is basically always "kill everything that's in my way towards global domination.

I go for them if they seem tactically sound. Might as well pick up the extra income while doing something I was probably gonna do anyway.

Grunch Worldflower fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 27, 2021

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My co-op high elf campaign with my brother is getting pretty boring since we've fully eliminated any threat to Ulthuan and are on the verge of conquering Naggarond (in large part thanks to Alith Anar kicking a whole lot of rear end before my brother confederated him), but since it's his first campaign in the game he doesn't seem inclined to call it a win and move on yet. I guess I can go around collecting elf colonies or something while he paints the map and does the rituals, but I'm really wishing there was a way to convert this into a singleplayer game he could keep rolling with at this point since I'm basically only still playing not to be a dick by bailing after talking him into trying the game.

Maybe I'll see if we can work out some kind of compromise like after Malekith and some other guys are dead we can call it a win from there, but I think he actually wants to do the Vortex.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 27, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
If you've already kicked Malekith's teeth in you probably are already in a place where you can just do the Vortex back to back to back. It won't take long and honestly I like the Vortex campaign for liking that option for a relatively quick campaign finish. I'd just finish it off.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Grunch Worldflower posted:

For more serious suggestions, I wouldn't mind them taking a crack at Pike and Shot. It's a nice frantic period of military development where you could have some fun unit variation.

Just give the 30 Years War a combination of the Shogun 1/2 and Three Kingdoms treatment.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

If you've already kicked Malekith's teeth in you probably are already in a place where you can just do the Vortex back to back to back. It won't take long and honestly I like the Vortex campaign for liking that option for a relatively quick campaign finish. I'd just finish it off.

Yeah good call, I'll see if I can get him to stop painting the map so much. If he really wants to do a world conquest run, he can start over and do it singleplayer.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
30 years war period would be cool for total war...pike and shot warfare mechanically? I'm not sure how they'd make it work but hey I'm down for conquering the world as sweden

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Up Circle posted:

30 years war period would be cool for total war...pike and shot warfare mechanically? I'm not sure how they'd make it work but hey I'm down for conquering the world as sweden

I mean they've had phalanxes and pikewall formations in many games already, just try to make it better. Musketeers are musketeers.

It seems like a lot of people think that we'd need mixed weaponry units for it to work, but most pike and shot formations actually functioned closer to something like the Empire's detachment system from the tabletop game. You had discrete blocks of soldiers armed with pikes and muskets (also often add some lighter troops in loose formation as well) who maneuvered together and closely supported each other on the battlefield.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Total War Empire was actually pretty close to being good imo. It had interesting units, firing in rank, primitize versions of poison wind mortars. but yeah nothing really worked well unfortunately.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

One thing I would like to see them improve on is the campaign map. They've tinkered around the edges alot but it really hasnt changed much since Rome 1 and personally beyond getting more money/better units I never feel like decisions on the campaign map are important. I never have any strategic goals I need to achieve to progress, just grab more territory or tick off game objectives. I never need to seize a particular piece of territory for its resources, or because its a chokepoint or river crossing or anything like that. Terrain, territory, resources, logistics, army positioning - none of them seem to matter that much. Even the old boardgame style maps had chokepoint provinces it was useful to control.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Random Integer posted:

One thing I would like to see them improve on is the campaign map. They've tinkered around the edges alot but it really hasnt changed much since Rome 1 and personally beyond getting more money/better units I never feel like decisions on the campaign map are important. I never have any strategic goals I need to achieve to progress, just grab more territory or tick off game objectives. I never need to seize a particular piece of territory for its resources, or because its a chokepoint or river crossing or anything like that. Terrain, territory, resources, logistics, army positioning - none of them seem to matter that much. Even the old boardgame style maps had chokepoint provinces it was useful to control.

They've made some big changes to the world map over the years, but otherwise I agree.

Diplomacy is the biggest area of potential improvement IMO. I wouldn't mind if they just froze everything else basically as-is and worked full time on diplomacy for the next game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So, I just tried to take Karak Eight Peaks with Belegar. Between the garrison and the stationed army, the enemy had a listed size of ~2700. ...During the battle itself, enemy troop numbers were listed as north of 6600. THE GAME MAGICKED UP 4000 loving TROOPS FROM NOWHERE. AND THEY WERE ALL loving FANATICS.

I guessing this is an SFO "thing," but legitimately what the actual gently caress. Spent literally the entire hour killing/routing over 4500 troops, and didn't make a single dent in the balance bar the entire time. I'm used to some dumb SFO decisions, but this takes the cake by a landslide.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

On the plus side, after the kind of dull co-op session earlier, I went back for some singleplayer and am well into my first successful Wulfhart campaign now. I think I still like his campaign more in theory than in practice, but it's the kind of different experience I'm really glad they worked on instead of having every campaign feel the same. Tbh the biggest drawback for me may just be that I think playing in Lustria is kind of a pain in general, since walking through jungle can take loving forever, but as the imperial bonuses get better (especially after teching up), it becomes more feasible to just recruit a lord and gift it an army right from the go from the reserves, which makes dealing with that a lot easier. It's a good thing, because I've definitely been caught out in march stance and lost whole armies more times than I should have while trying to move them around, so being able to replace an army very quickly has been a huge help.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

I don't think CA is very good at making battles that aren't just smashing dudes together relatively quickly. Just doesn't have the right sort of scale with the current engine. I'd like to see them scale up the battles, both in number of guys and map size, and maybe challenge themselves after TW3. It'd make 18th century + warfare interesting.

KaptainKrunk fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
More types of battle maps would be nice. Every now and then you get a map with a river chokepoint or specific areas will trigger specific maps like that Karl Franz last stand map against the orcs etc. I'd like a lot more custom maps with interesting elevations, chokepoints and maybe other fun stuff. Most of the time it's still just a flat map in a wasteland or a forest