Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

If Nippon *is* in the game, I expect it will be split between Cathay, Skaven, and possibly High Elves. Ind almost certainly has a Wood Elf forest, maybe some random Dark Elf enclaves, perhaps some really lost Vampire Counts or Empire. Khuresh is a giant question mark that probably includes Lizardmen because where the hell else would you put them, and also maybe Norsca. Whichever of Ogre Kingdoms or Chaos Dwarves that isn't the preorder will be a giant gap, probably filled with greenskins and not-chaos dwarves.

There's no way they're not going to have independent human daimyos in Nippon.

First of all, they want to sell a bunch of games in Japan, and having it completely occupied by Skaven, Elves and Cathayans is not going to be conducive to that.

Secondly, they have tons of experience with 16th century Japan so they can just port that over for the mundane soldiers, castles, etc. All they need to do is work on some Tengu auxiliaries and other magic creatures and rewrite some of the fluff to remove the references to the auto industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they just wholecloth copy Shogun 2 into TWEH3 I’d be real into it

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Id love an Ork faction mechanic with a choice like Imperial or Shogunate but instead it’s Gork or Mork.

Ork Ronin Warriors

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
For Tomb Kings they still have Apophas as potential legendary lord number 5 and he has a built in reason to go globetrotting.

quote:

Apophas was a jealous prince who lusted after the throne of Numas. To this end, he slit the throats of the entire royal line while they slept and proclaimed himself king. However, the people of Numas rebelled against him, and those loyal to the murdered king broke into the throne room and dragged the usurper to the temples to be judged. Of all the crimes in Nehekhara, the most terrible was regicide. Typically, those who attempted to seize the throne were denied the privilege of mummification, and their bones were thrown to the carrion of the desert.

Denied access to the lands of the honoured dead, these unfortunates were consigned, at best, to the torturous depths of the Nehekharan Underworld, or at worst, to utter oblivion. Apophas' crimes warranted a more severe punishment; he was entombed alive within a sarcophagus filled with flesh-eating scarabs. It is said that his death screams could be heard through the temple walls, but when the lid was opened, there was no trace of the beetles. All that remained was a skull picked clean of flesh. Before this was thrown into the deep desert, it was inscribed with a single magical hieroglyph cursing Apophas' soul for all eternity.

Upon his death, Apophas' soul was claimed by Usirian, god of the Underworld, to be tormented in perpetuity for his crimes. However, being of noble birth, Apophas was able to strike a bargain with Usirian, promising that, in exchange for his release, he would claim for the god a soul to stand in his stead, a perfect match for his own. Usirian agreed, and thus Apophas was reborn as the Cursed Scarab Lord. Apophas appears from a swarm of beetles that flow up from the ground until they reveal a black-swathed figure in their midst. Apophas is not a reanimated corpse but a desert revenant whose body is formed from a writhing swarm of scarabs. Atop this undulating mass, his skull looks upon the world in search of his chosen victim - a soul he believes can buy his freedom. In Apophas' hand is the same blade he used to slit the throats of his family, and it drips with their blood to this day. Only by slaying the perfect soul with this weapon can Apophas hope to earn his freedom.

The scarabs making up Apophas' form scuttle over rubble and through gaps in ruins without impediment. Apophas' body can even burst apart in an explosion of chitinous wings, flying across the battlefield before reforming into the mocking semblance of a man. Apophas sweeps aside those that stand between him and his prey, and when he opens his jaw, a tide of insects erupts forth to drown his foes. No matter how hard his enemies swipe and hack at his horrifying form, insect bodies flow over to fill open wounds and re-grow lost limbs. Apophas is utterly implacable, and he will not stop until his enemies lie dead by his hand. Apophas then binds his target's spirit in a mystical soul-cage before returning to the depths of the Underworld. Here the soul is placed on a pair of scales and compared with Apophas' own cursed spirit. However, the truth is no two souls are ever equal, and the scales are never balanced. Though he doesn't know it, Apophas has doomed himself to roam the lands for all eternity.

So just say that he found some particularly evil prick out east that he hopes he can use to buy his way out of eternal damnation

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Charlz Guybon posted:

There's no way they're not going to have independent human daimyos in Nippon.

First of all, they want to sell a bunch of games in Japan, and having it completely occupied by Skaven, Elves and Cathayans is not going to be conducive to that.

Secondly, they have tons of experience with 16th century Japan so they can just port that over for the mundane soldiers, castles, etc. All they need to do is work on some Tengu auxiliaries and other magic creatures and rewrite some of the fluff to remove the references to the auto industry.

We're talking about on release. I am extremely skeptical that they will include any unplayable half-factions in TW:WH3 like they did with 1. For 1, they had no choice - not enough other factions existed to fill gaps. If we make the assumption that Nippon is on the map and playable, I do not expect it will have "Nippon" as a unique faction until several DLCs down the line.

That being said, my personal ranking of the most likely outcomes are 1) Nippon is on the map, but without any playable provinces; 2) Nippon isn't on the map, but the map is structured such that they could add it later (like Albion or Sartosa were); 3) Nippon isn't on the map and cannot be reasonably added; 4) Nippon exists and has a bunch of filler stuff in it. I think Ind is much more likely to exist right away (or at least the northern parts), and maybe a smallish slice of Khuresh as well.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I think the base map for game 3 will sidestep this whole thing by only including some bits of the northern parts of Ind and Khuresh. They could keep that going for the Big Map in three actually, just keep cutting across east from where they already have on the southern continent. Makes the New World look even weirder though

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I'm sure the OVN guy will whip something up regardless.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I can not way for the nippon events where some dude from the empire with muskets and cannons is trying to force open trade.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Third World Reagan posted:

I can not way for the nippon events where some dude from the empire with muskets and cannons is trying to force open trade.

Only ones who get out that far from the Old World are Tileans

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Only ones who get out that far from the Old World are Tileans

According to the rumor mill guy there will be a Vampire Coast faction out by Nippon, a placeholder for Genevieve as a future LL.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

jokes posted:

If they just wholecloth copy Shogun 2 into TWEH3 I’d be real into it

I think that'd suck rear end.

If they add Nippon they need to get GW and some japanese folklore experts on board and make it a full-fledged Warhammer faction.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah the crazy poo poo they could do with Yokai/Oni/Onmyo Magic on top of the cool samurai stuff is massive. Someone earlier said they'd rather not see a retread of Sengoku stuff and I agree, if Nippon is ever on the cards they should go looking back to the Japanese periods where history and mythology have blended together into the folklore. Hell I recommend people just check out Yokai.com to see the sheer weight of bizarre poo poo they could pull from, and checking out the Nioh games if they want to see some of these things in motion to see how cool they look.

I'm still not convinced Nippon is something we'll see realised, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Especially if they put in some hard yards on it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And supposedly Ind is the next on CA's long-term horizons for the game, which could be really interesting. I don't know much about Indian folklore and mythology, just the rumor guy saying that there's been sketches of cavalry riding tigers, war elephants, and multi-armed giants.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah the crazy poo poo they could do with Yokai/Oni/Onmyo Magic on top of the cool samurai stuff is massive. Someone earlier said they'd rather not see a retread of Sengoku stuff and I agree, if Nippon is ever on the cards they should go looking back to the Japanese periods where history and mythology have blended together into the folklore. Hell I recommend people just check out Yokai.com to see the sheer weight of bizarre poo poo they could pull from, and checking out the Nioh games if they want to see some of these things in motion to see how cool they look.

I'm still not convinced Nippon is something we'll see realised, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. Especially if they put in some hard yards on it.

They absolutely will do a Sengoku retread. That's what's in the Lore and what GW will want. That's what the company has tons of experience in. And that's what the general customers (Japanese and the weebs) want.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
lol it's gonna suck when they invariably stick some Eshin on the island but none of your units have shields

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

AnEdgelord posted:

For Tomb Kings they still have Apophas as potential legendary lord number 5 and he has a built in reason to go globetrotting.

quote:

However, being of noble birth, Apophas was able to strike a bargain with Usirian,

So just say that he found some particularly evil prick out east that he hopes he can use to buy his way out of eternal damnation

for some reason it always makes me lol when deities give a poo poo about mortal lineage. like yeah, i'm the god of underworld and torment with unimaginable powers and countless dead under my watch, but what's that you say? your parents were rich? sure, i'll hear you out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I think that'd suck rear end.

If they add Nippon they need to get GW and some japanese folklore experts on board and make it a full-fledged Warhammer faction.

I’m picturing a boat full of Shogun 2 samurai sailing into a scary mist and on the other side seeing orcs and poo poo on an unfamiliar coast and the samurai are looking all terrified then their leader says to land and kill them all.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Samuari vs Orcs is pretty good optics TBF, cant go wrong there

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Samuari vs Orcs is pretty good optics TBF, cant go wrong there

This is right next to "Aliens with laserguns vs. knights in mirrored armor" on my list of cool poo poo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Judging by the other human factions that are inspired by real armies Nippon would be mostly like a basic japanese army but also with a few monstrous cavalry and some magically enhanced infantry

Human knights in warhammer still just look like human knights so I assume a Nippon samurai would also just look like a regular samurai

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Honestly I find Nippon as the most boring option to explore. Ind and Khuresh (from what little exists for them) both seem a lot more interesting as a baseline than a "totally not Shogun 3" faction. From a strategic perspective all three potential factions will have the Ulthuon/Tomb Kings problem where they're going to be too localized to one spot to force interesting game encounters, but at least Ind/Khuresh aren't on a literal island of their own.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Nippon being the fairly mundane Bretonnia of the not far east is perfectly reasonable though, as has been made clear at some lenght some people enjoy that kink

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Nippon would only be boring if it was sengoku.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

As this post says, there is plenty of weird and cool Japanese mythology to work with, and a Heian army would be aesthetically new and more interesting.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
They recently updated the Steam database, suggesting we’re due for a game 2 dlc announcement soon.

I’m not excited by any potential Dark Elf lords, but they want to give the game 2 base races an equal number of legendary lords, so I’m prepared for some meh. Rakarth and Shadowblade are the main missing guys who have miniatures, and we already have beastmaster and Khaine content in previous DLCs. Who are some fun guys and units they could add?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Dark Elves got any more units?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

My main question for a new Dark Elf Lord is where they will start on the Mortal Empires map. I’d love one that starts in the old world and let me fight Empire and Bretonian armies.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Maybe some kind of slave chaff unit?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
If I were CA/GW I'd just shamelessly rip-off Sekiro. Gimmie a run-down kingdom knee-deep in civil war over the secrets of eternal life (which turn out to be fueled by centipede Chaos magic).

That would give you a great mixture of down-to-earth units like swordsmen and gunners led by giant warlords weilding wacky powers, while allowing you to go hog-wild with poo poo like headless ghosts, chaos monks, and captured monsters that you guide into enemy formations before sending them into a berserk rage.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ChickenHeart posted:

If I were CA/GW I'd just shamelessly rip-off Sekiro. Gimmie a run-down kingdom knee-deep in civil war over the secrets of eternal life (which turn out to be fueled by centipede Chaos magic).

That would give you a great mixture of down-to-earth units like swordsmen and gunners led by giant warlords weilding wacky powers, while allowing you to go hog-wild with poo poo like headless ghosts, chaos monks, and captured monsters that you guide into enemy formations before sending them into a berserk rage.

Definitely include the dragon women doing shaolin soccer as a ranged unit

Every now and then you see some amazing and unashamedly silly enemy design that reminds you why from are among the best in the biz

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

ChickenHeart posted:

Honestly, every prestige enemy in Sekrio would be an excellent TW unit. Taro Troop and ogres as monstrous infantry, monkeys with swords as expendable auxiliaries that attack allies when they go berserk, Nightjars as flying infantry, Okami or Interior Ministry forces as elite infantry. Bosses offer plenty of LL's and hero units. They've even got the fire bull, sakura bull, and big snake for large monster units.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zzulu posted:

Dark Elves got any more units?

Give them more monsters to go with a Beast Lord LL.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

a unit of infantry that starts out up in the air on kites and then as a one time thing could glide a limited distance over enemy lines would be sick

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Been getting back into this. Played through an WH1 bretonnia and norsca campaign. Tried WH 2 rat and lizard campaign but they weren't that fun. Bot sure why they didn't click for me but I found both of them to beba bit of a slog.

Currently playing a WH2 bretonnia campaign in the desert and just launched a invasion into fantasy South America. Jusy me, dwarfs and llizard in fantasy Africa.

I don't have any of the none free DLC besides the Norsca and chaos dlc from WH1. Any DLC I should pick up?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
A unit of Samurai that climb atop one other into a massive giant Samurai - like that bollywood terminator movie.

Oh poo poo - just for any fantasy faction actually - a unit of bards that synchronize dance/sing and causes a stasis lock to any unit in range or other debuffs.

So many possibilities.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

the moose posted:

Been getting back into this. Played through an WH1 bretonnia and norsca campaign. Tried WH 2 rat and lizard campaign but they weren't that fun. Bot sure why they didn't click for me but I found both of them to beba bit of a slog.

Currently playing a WH2 bretonnia campaign in the desert and just launched a invasion into fantasy South America. Jusy me, dwarfs and llizard in fantasy Africa.

I don't have any of the none free DLC besides the Norsca and chaos dlc from WH1. Any DLC I should pick up?

All the DLC's

With all the DLC's it's like a new game. Probably not worth it unless on sale though

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

While it is the lazy answer, but making a Baahubali faction for Ind would make me happy.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
All this talk about Japanese mythology and the demonic things being completely rational stuff that could reasonably appear now is amazing. Not to mention speculation on what bat poo poo insane units we'll be getting from the Ogres and Chaos Dwarfs. How far we have come.

Remember when we were all losing our poo poo at the first WH1 screenshots with those giants fighting the Empire? :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cracker King posted:

A unit of Samurai that climb atop one other into a massive giant Samurai - like that bollywood terminator movie.

Oh poo poo - just for any fantasy faction actually - a unit of bards that synchronize dance/sing and causes a stasis lock to any unit in range or other debuffs.

So many possibilities.

JoJo torture dance units.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_PlFy6IjAE

i want a small unit of these arcing football artillery across the battlefield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Fellatio del Toro posted:

a unit of infantry that starts out up in the air on kites and then as a one time thing could glide a limited distance over enemy lines would be sick

I would pay good money to see an entire unit of howling kite-men dive-bomb a formation of terrified waywatchers.