Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Yeah, I remember last go around when Dark Elf Month took me from "emo elves, who cares" to genuinely excited to try out how they play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

True but chaos was the only one where generic unit champions were called "champions" (or rather aspiring champions) rather than sergeant or pack leader or horsemaster or whatever.

Also unit champions were hilarious because in a game with a grand total of six turns, they could challenge a dragon-mounted lord to a fall duel and waste their entire combat round. Total Hams really makes monstrous mounts way better than they ever were in tabletop, between the lack of unit champions and the lack of cannons just effortlessly sniping dudes out of the sky.

CA should add unit leaders and standard bearers though.

High Elf Champion would like a word.

And yes I'd love to see a command unit added to the game.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Lt. Lizard posted:

....how is that also not just micromanagement and an obvious upgrade you would always get?

Because it offers multiple choices and is dependent on a different resource. I don't upgrade every unit in every greenskin army, and I don't choose the same upfrages every time.

If the option is "Sergeant or No Sergeant" for a gold cost, you just take the Sergeant.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

If the chaos teams are getting mortals and daemon units does that mean that archaeon is gonna get ALL of it.

If they update the chaos warrior hordes in gonna be very happy, I love hordes

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Someone mentioned that none of the non-elven lords we know are around in the new Warhammer Fantasy setting. That got me wondering, what about some of the other lords? When did Settra and the other Tomb Kings emerge from their tombs? When were Luthor Harkon, Cylostra Dyrefin, etc. turned undead? How long is the (natural) lifespan of a Skaven? How old are those dwarves?

I think at least the TK in not-America should be around 300 years prior iirc from the little lore snippets I've picked up reading this thread, and the White Dwarf was definitely alive back then. Do orcs age? When did those chaos lord like Sigvald get corrupted? And surely all Lizardmen lords were around 300 years earlier as well?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lt. Lizard posted:

....how is that also not just micromanagement and an obvious upgrade you would always get?

scrap upgrades offer different bonuses which are actually tough choices sometimes. I don't think I ever had a unit in tabletop that didn't have every command option in it.

That being said, they really should add musicians, standard bearers, and champions as models into each unit.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Devorum posted:

Because it offers multiple choices and is dependent on a different resource. I don't upgrade every unit in every greenskin army, and I don't choose the same upfrages every time.

If the option is "Sergeant or No Sergeant" for a gold cost, you just take the Sergeant.

....and why wouldn't there be several various squad leaders like "Sergeant", "Standard Bearer", "Musician", etc. offering multiple choices for different cost, depending on the unit in question, along with the option to stick Heroes/Lords on foot in the squads, just like in the tabletop?

EDIT: forgot that you could take all command options for every squad, but it's not like limiting them to 1 per squad and forcing you to choose would be some kind of radical, never-seen-before deviation from tabletop that simply wouldn't fly in Total Warhammer. :shrug:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 14, 2021

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Because if you go with the tabletop version, you can always stick all of them in there so it just becomes click upgrade x3 instead of upgrade x1. Heroes and Lords could have an attachement system but that is different from a permanent(or god forbid renewable) upgrade that sticks with the unit. While the scrap thingy is 1 slot with multiple choices for that slot.

Then again I don't think everyone should get that either, let the Greenskins have their unique mechanics like everyone else, all factions don't have to have all the cool things.

edit: Posted before your edit, but still not sold on it. I am not against adding the command squad dudes, I just think if they do just make all units always have them.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 14, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Torrannor posted:

Someone mentioned that none of the non-elven lords we know are around in the new Warhammer Fantasy setting. That got me wondering, what about some of the other lords? When did Settra and the other Tomb Kings emerge from their tombs? When were Luthor Harkon, Cylostra Dyrefin, etc. turned undead? How long is the (natural) lifespan of a Skaven? How old are those dwarves?

I think at least the TK in not-America should be around 300 years prior iirc from the little lore snippets I've picked up reading this thread, and the White Dwarf was definitely alive back then. Do orcs age? When did those chaos lord like Sigvald get corrupted? And surely all Lizardmen lords were around 300 years earlier as well?

Luthor Harkon is one of the earliest blood dragons supposedly, so he's been around since forever.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What’s wrong with just straight upgrades? If you have the economy for it, why not? The game needs more goldsinks anyway

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Torrannor posted:

To answer what I know in order:

Luthor Harkon was turned undead back when vampires first came into being. He's one of the OG vamps, and became active as Luthor Harkon the Vampire Pirate hundreds of years ago, so he's fair game. Cylostra is a CA invention so who knows.

Skaven without alchemical/magical assistance have shorter than human lifespans - a Skaven reaches maturity much faster than a human, but a Skaven in their 50s is absolutely ancient. The "short lifespan" issue is exacerbated by very few Skaven actually living that long due to a combination of attrition and backstabbing. The highest ranked Skaven, the Council, have access to magical life extending juice(that may or may not have side effects), but none of the existing Skaven characters would be around 300 years ago.

Dwarfs naturally live for a couple hundred years. A 150 year old dwarf is on the young end of middle age, and the oldest normal dwarfs can live to be nearly 400. Grombrindal isn't a normal dwarf and is basically a demigod, so he's special and can definitely be around.

Orcs don't have a concrete known lifespan because there has never been a depiction of an orc reaching/dying of old age. That said, Grimgor and the lads we know weren't around back then, though there were other Big Bad Orcs that would be around instead.

Sigvald would be around 300 years ago, since he's been messing about for centuries.

All of the Lizardmen characters in TWW2 except for the skinks were around 300 years ago.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 14, 2021

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm pretty sure they could fudge Grom, he was long dead by the time period of the original Fantasy Battle setting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's one Greenskin that died of old age, the greatest of the Hobgoblin Khans. He's celebrated for dying in bed after living so long because until that happened to him, they didn't even know that was possible.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Torrannor posted:

Several non-demonic Chaos characters like Sigvald (who has a new horned model) and the Glottkin have been mentioned doing stuff. I guess you just don’t die if your patron god likes you enough. Thanquol has also suddenly and mysteriously reappeared, to the dismay of high-ranking Skaven. I don’t know if we’ve ever seen the limits of age a Skaven can reach if they can use whatever hosed-up life-extending technology/magic they no doubt have while avoiding “accidents.”

Balthasar Gelt is a confirmed Stormcast who goes by Balthas Aurum. He’s the only returning non-Chaos human I’m aware of.

Gotrek has stumbled out of the Realm to Chaos and is going on adventures again. His axe might be keeping him young, and he was out of normal space-time for millennia anyway. The Dwarf gods Grungi and Grimnir made it to the new setting.The second Broken Realms campaign book involves a mysterious white-haired dwarf who might be Grombrindal or the ancestor god Grungi. Grombrindal is rumored to be Snorri Whitebeard, the first High King of the Dwarfs. Dwarfs do die of old age, so his seeming immortality is a special case.

I think Lizardmen are biologically immortal. Kroak is still around and still a mummy. I thought he was incinerated by the falling moon fragments in the End Times, so I’m not sure what the timeline is like for him reappearing bodily in the Mortal Realms.

No Greenskin, Ogre, or other Destruction characters have reappeared.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Dr Christmas posted:

Several non-demonic Chaos characters like Sigvald (who has a new horned model) and the Glottkin have been mentioned doing stuff. I guess you just don’t die if your patron god likes you enough. Thanquol has also suddenly and mysteriously reappeared, to the dismay of high-ranking Skaven. I don’t know if we’ve ever seen the limits of age a Skaven can reach if they can use whatever hosed-up life-extending technology/magic they no doubt have while avoiding “accidents.”

Balthasar Gelt is a confirmed Stormcast who goes by Balthas Aurum. He’s the only returning non-Chaos human I’m aware of.

Gotrek has stumbled out of the Realm to Chaos and is going on adventures again. His axe might be keeping him young, and he was out of normal space-time for millennia anyway. The Dwarf gods Grungi and Grimnir made it to the new setting.The second Broken Realms campaign book involves a mysterious white-haired dwarf who might be Grombrindal or the ancestor god Grungi. Grombrindal is rumored to be Snorri Whitebeard, the first High King of the Dwarfs. Dwarfs do die of old age, so his seeming immortality is a special case.

I think Lizardmen are biologically immortal. Kroak is still around and still a mummy. I thought he was incinerated by the falling moon fragments in the End Times, so I’m not sure what the timeline is like for him reappearing bodily in the Mortal Realms.

No Greenskin, Ogre, or other Destruction characters have reappeared.

I think Torranor was talking about the new "Old World" setting, not Age of Sigmar.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Night10194 posted:

There's one Greenskin that died of old age, the greatest of the Hobgoblin Khans. He's celebrated for dying in bed after living so long because until that happened to him, they didn't even know that was possible.

Was the bed temporarily proclaimed Khan until someone smashed it? Seems like the rules of non-violent succession would be unclear and so it would have to assumed the bed killed him?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

scrap upgrades offer different bonuses which are actually tough choices sometimes. I don't think I ever had a unit in tabletop that didn't have every command option in it.

That being said, they really should add musicians, standard bearers, and champions as models into each unit.
Yeah, no reason you can't just theme (eg) Empire "scrap" upgrades as sergeants or musicians or whatever and give you a choice of upgrades based on that. Make it cost some the green resource so you have something to do with it besides be a mini-Elf or wait to buy Authority, and you're good to go.

I'd love model variation though; a standard bearer and visually distinct sergeant would look kickass even if they mechanically did nothing.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I still miss the mechanic of upgrading armour from medieval 2.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Torrannor posted:

Settra reawoke over a thousand years before Sigmar was born so he'll definitely be around.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh, we’re talking about the Old World. Thorgrim Grudgebearer was crowned High King 200 years before the “present,” and I don’t think he was particularly old at the time.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Ravenfood posted:

I'd love model variation though; a standard bearer and visually distinct sergeant would look kickass even if they mechanically did nothing.

More importantly, having an Empire piper playing a jaunty tune while his unit is hacked to pieces by 10 foot tall hell knights would be very cool.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I assume that “Little Grom” is a quiet Katyusha reference?

E: seeing as with Tsarina Katarina they can hardly call the artillery Katyusha.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The skaven main dudes like Skrolk and Ikit are all hundreds of years old via magic bullshit, but the average skaven lifespan is like ten.

The elves not named Malekith or Morathi are also mortal unlike Tolkien elves, but they live a long time. Teclis founded the imperial colleges of magic and that was like four hundred years before the "present." Finubar is also like four hundred.

The real question is do Empire musicians play stuff like Die Wacht am Rhein because of their cultural inspiration or stuff like The British Grenadiers because they are basically brits with german-ish names.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
It literally does not matter and quibbling about who would really be alive at this nebulous 300 years prior is a big lol.

They're gonna find a way for you to use your Karl Franz again.

Y'know if it ever stops being vapourware they shove out a piece of concept art to when mini previews feel a lil' thin.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Omnicarus posted:

Was the bed temporarily proclaimed Khan until someone smashed it? Seems like the rules of non-violent succession would be unclear and so it would have to assumed the bed killed him?

God, it had better have been now that you mention it.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Torrannor posted:

Interesting that all demons have physical resistance, I wonder how balanced that will be when we consider that there are factions that have little problem to bring magic damage to the table, and other who struggle to do so outside of their mages.

The interesting thing is that all Daemons (assumably) get 20% physical resistance, but Khorne Daemons get 25% magic resistance. So against non-Khorne, you want magical attack, but against Khorne you want non-magical

scolbert
Jan 12, 2012
Something about tomb kings makes me always want to ally with them. always sad when the faction in north america gets destroyed before i can help them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Little bit on minor settlements I don't think I saw anywhere else, from PCGamer.

quote:

You'll also see elements from survival battles cropping up in other fights, including the new Domination multiplayer mode. "Domination battles are a new exciting way for us to get players started with multiplayer," says Andersson. "We wanted to shake up the formula of a traditional land battle and give players a chance to bring on reinforcements from their army pool and allow them to react to how the game is unfolding. And you're also fighting over capture points." There's at least one new battle type in singleplayer, too, adding minor settlement battles to Warhammer for the first time. These sit between full blown sieges and regular battles, and will apparently come with their own mechanics, including the ability to tackle the settlement from any angle rather than just a couple of locations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Minor settlement battles giving me acid flashbacks to 3K, where attacking some mining settlements was worse than sieging cities because the only approaches to the town square were through choke points watched by loving machine gun arrow towers.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I said it already but I'm hoping for something similar to Attila. I think that game, for all it's flaws, had the best minor settlement battles. It would be neat if they added naval landing style battles too but I'm not expecting that.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
Someone on reddit made a list of all the things revealed so far about WH3:

SURVIVAL MODE:
Only available to WH-3 factions during the campaign
Only occurs a few times in key narrative moments during the campaign
Available for all factions in custom battles
Unlimited Winds of Magic pool

BATTLE UPDATES:
Wounded - Trait for single entities that reduce their effectiveness when they are low HP
On fire - Trait for units under fire effect that reduce health regeneration
Winds of magic - It will be more consistent and reliable across all game
New lores of magic - Lore of Ice and Lore of tempest

REALMS OF CHAOS:
Present in both Warhammer 3 campaign map and Immortal Empires campaign map
Every Chaos GOD area will have its distinctive look
It will be crucial in the end-game in Immortal Empires

GRAPHICS AND OPTIMIZATION:
Tech ported from Total War 3Kingdoms
Improved Lighting
New grass with GPU generation and rendering

SIEGES MAPS:
New minor settlements maps added to the game
New 360 degree settlements that can be attacked from each side
New features for sieges - "We've listened to the feedback and we have improved sieges in all aspects of gameplay".

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ad090 posted:

SURVIVAL MODE:
Only available to WH-3 factions during the campaign
Turin mentioned it was only in the Kislev & Cathay campaigns.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

ad090 posted:

REALMS OF CHAOS:
Present in both Warhammer 3 campaign map and Immortal Empires campaign map
Every Chaos GOD area will have its distinctive look
It will be crucial in the end-game in Immortal Empires

I'm still very curious as to how big the chaos realms will be. I'd rather see a smaller chaos realm, and more of the rest of the world.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's
Well lads, we are 1 step closer.
https://youtu.be/Kdp0WSFNqi0

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

As someone who wants them to take pretty much everything from 3K and jam it in here, my #1 most :pray: item would be that units (especially cav) fee as snappy on the battlefield as they do in 3K. It may have less interesting battles because of the setting, but most parts about actually controlling the battle are a lot more fun imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Raygereio posted:

Turin mentioned it was only in the Kislev & Cathay campaigns.

That PCGamer article says otherwise: https://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-3s-huge-boss-battles-are-a-very-different-way-to-play-total-war/

quote:

And if you're playing as one of the daemonic factions, you'll still have these survival battles when you take the fight to Kislev and Cathay

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo still that there is actually going to be Cathay.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I am so hyped for Cathay. "Time Period Aesthetics But Moreso + Skulls" is going to look so loving rad with chinese-inspired units. And you know we're getting one of those sweet Long Dragons

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

That is just perfect.
I have got to know more about this Khan, got a name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As one would expect, it's Khengai Khan. Behold: