Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
playing Imrik ME on Legendary/Normal and alternating between being majestic master of the skies and triple digit breath attack/burning head kill counts and fuckin' Vietnam flashbacks as my life is an endless tide of rats until turn 40+ and then a random beastman stack helps me raze Eshin down to size and even suicides themselves on Flayed Rock so I don't have to fight a Cygor/Minotaur stack, everyone I meet war decs me, people I'm not sure how I met war dec me(Thorek what the gently caress) and Last Defenders war dec me then sue for peace before I finish recovering from Malus' island adventure and sail south to get my precious guarded map corner lands

so I guess if you really want a different campaign be the Dragon Napalm guy. anyone who stands still is a well-disciplined gutter runner. how can I light all those poor rats on fire as they run? You gotta lead them a bit. guess I'll fight Mors next so I can turn LD into actual permanent allies and because I need more landconomy before I consider GRIMGROG but god damnit LD killed Khalida that's my wife you motherfuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

thanquol don't surf

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Hooray! I loaded up the Tyrion campaign I failed from an earlier save, and I managed to fight the Dark Elves off and stop their ritual, complete the last ritual for the Dark Elves, and survive the final battle endurance round! :toot:

I guess now I can either move on to one of the other Vortex campaigns, or possibly start a Mortal Empires campaign. Thinking about trying the Dark Elves Vortex first, because Mortal Empires seems like it take a long time for a game to finish.

Maybe if I find time, I'll record some of the battle replays I saved for the thread to review. I actually did pretty well with all the battles I fought. I scored one Heroic Victory, and I had one battle where I got ambushed, but still won. Granted, all the battles were on Easy, so it's not that impressive.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 26, 2021

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
I personally find the vanilla vortex campaign not that great, the later lords they added tend to have more interesting ones. Like for dark elves I'd pick Rakarth. You can always compare start positions for lords that are available in both Vortex and ME, and go with what seems more interesting. I'd also really recommend the Victory Conditions Overhaul mod, it makes the VCs for ME campaigns much more sensible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a small thing but when my skink generals yell "AHH SICK!" when I select them, I look at the dinosaurs and think "yeah mate it's pretty sick" and it makes me smile.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Sep 26, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hola, skinks!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hexoatl (at least in SFO) is an interesting start because they give you three bastilodons and a bunch of saurus and mazdamundi's fat rear end, all of which means you're virtually bankrupt for a while unless you disband them. And growth is slow enough in SFO that I am reluctant to do that because they would be hard to replace, especially the temple guard and blessed bastilodons.

So I ended up making a second army entirely out of skinks plus one bastilodon I shipped out of the starter army, and if you stack all the buffs + brass cleaver/other area buffs on your leader units you can actually get the skinks up to a pretty good level, so I have been conquering panama with an army of wee lads while the frog sits in hexoatl and occasionally gurgles at them encouragingly.

They can't quite take on chaos warriors but you get enough of them that they can tar pit them quite well until you can get a bastilodon over to step on them, and they absolutely trounce skaven and are a good match for orcs.

They haven't even reached gold rank yet and they're already at 40 attack 50 defence which is pretty good for a skink.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 26, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I rarely actually build saurus infantry with lizardmen factions because skinks are drastically cheaper and tarpit just fine for your dinosaurs, chameleon stalkers, and magic to actually clean up. I honestly would never even build the saurus recruitment building line if it wasn't needed for scar veterans, and even those are a pretty low priority hero type. Heavy infantry bump and grind is probably the slowest and least effective way to actually kill enemies in the game even on normal, and the problem only worsens on higher battle difficulties.

I think the only real exceptions are if you're playing Kroq(because of his insane discounts/bonuses to saurus) and Mazda can run temple guard in his stack fairly economically if you build the special building in Fallen Gates and pair it with his personal bonus.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 26, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In SFO at least they are genuinely very good infantry, they can fight basically anything toe to toe and temple guard especially are probably some of the best infantry in the game, albeit generally anti-large specialized and a little reliant on their initial engagement buff they get. But regular saurus are definitely worth buying too, they're just a bit less cost effective in many cases than skinks.

But if you are fighting something that can seriously outclass your skinks then saurus are welcome, though this may be more of a side effect of how SFO handles quality disparity compared to vanilla, where good infantry is like... really good to the point that if you have enough of a quality gap then you can throw basically infinite dudes at a unit and they will just chew through them. Very noticeable when fighting chaos warriors which the skinks are pretty terrible at damaging. Vanilla I think is a bit more forgiving in that you can often drown a unit in bodies.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I definitely want to have 2-4 saurus or temple gaurds as a strong center, but skinks make a fine line, and in particular the javelin variant is way better than you'd expect.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Recently started a Kroq-Gar ME game, I just spent 20 turns bullying the starting rats with skinks while waiting for T3 and then recruited 10 Bastilodons w/Solar Engine, who were recruited at rank 6 between the rite, the commandment, Renowned and Feared, etc. Got another 4 a little while later.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The main issue is that every unit you're maintaining is a chunk out of your budget, and every unit of skinks you're upgrading to saurus is effectively a ding against your dinosaur/wizard budget. 3 units of javelin cohorts is 300 base gold per turn in upkeep. 3 units of shield saurus is 600 base gold per turn in upkeep. That difference means you're missing out on one of the following: an entire unit of kroxigors(with change left over), a solar engine(with change left over), almost a unit of boxigors, an ancient salamander, 3/4s of a feral carnosaur or regular stegadon, etc.

These cost differences get even more painful when supply lines is factored in, especially on the huge VH supply lines scaling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the gently caress kind of moron thought a good design for the vortex campaign would be to have it just spawn piles of units at a random point in your territory which then just burn everything down rather than actually going for the ritual site?

Jesus christ I knew this campaign was poo poo but this is next level.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress kind of moron thought a good design for the vortex campaign would be to have it just spawn piles of units at a random point in your territory which then just burn everything down rather than actually going for the ritual site?

Jesus christ I knew this campaign was poo poo but this is next level.

They usually spawn nearby but outside your territory. Also for me personally it basically just adds some challenge. By the time those armies are large enough that you can't take them out with a garrison and an emergency lord with a turn's worth of basic troops/ROR, you're probably at the point where you're strong enough to walk all over everything with minimal problem, so having some wildcards just keeps you on your toes.

Also at the same time as they spawn you get big upkeep reductions so you can usually raise an army or two just to deal with them.

I find myself playing more vortex than ME for races that I can, just because there's more objectives, a more manageable size, and more challenge than ME, which tends to end with you steamrolling literally everything unless something is wrecking your before turn 50 or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They spawned directly next to a city and then just burned everything down, only one of them got anywhere near the ritual site and then swerved off to burn something else down.

They aren't remotely difficult to kill with an army but they aren't beatable with the garrisons, and I don't have enough lords to cover every possible place they could go.

Just a loving stupid mechanic honestly, no incentive whatsoever to actually fight them you just spend ten turns chasing the stupid things down until you can autoresolve delete them and then another gently caress knows how long rebuilding the ciites. Christ almighty I don't think I want to even bother with this campaign any more if that's all it's going to be.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah my advice for vortex is not to map paint until after you finish the final ritual. I try to make friends with my faction's strongest leader, besides me of course :wink:, and help them paint the map instead. leaves you a much smaller area to defend and more predictable spawn points for those ritual armies

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Holla, skinks!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

In terms of "What the gently caress, CA?", I'm personally waiting for the Great Bastion to be an impenetrable wall, a stalwart, insurmountable defense against the depredations of madness that would decimate manki-- oh wait they literally had a small raiding party lay siege to the settlement and then the rest of Chaos walked right past it like it was never there.

I really want to see what they're doing with the siege rework, and whether or not they address poo poo like this.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

yeah my advice for vortex is not to map paint until after you finish the final ritual. I try to make friends with my faction's strongest leader, besides me of course :wink:, and help them paint the map instead. leaves you a much smaller area to defend and more predictable spawn points for those ritual armies

Alternatively, forget about the rituals and just paint the map until you win.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean yeah, but when you pretend the ritual matters you can rp the faction "leader" is your puppet and you're doing the real important work

I accidentally got a total domination victory when trying to get the 3x tier 5 elven colony achievement. I honestly didn't even know that was a thing

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Kanos posted:

I honestly would never even build the saurus recruitment building line if it wasn't needed for scar veterans, and even those are a pretty low priority hero type.

ok this is a fair point but also have you ever had an army thats a saurus lord on a carnosaur with at least 5 (ideally more) scar veterans who are also on carnosaurs? it takes a while to get to that point but when you get there oh man

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Saurus are pretty good but you really need a MA buff

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Haven't really tried to properly get into Lizardmen yet. One thing I find with most campaigns though is I make up my army with whatever I can find around the place because the unit buildings take so long to get to high level that by that point I can't be hosed changing my army and I'm already steamrolling things. Should probably be more disciplined and put together proper interesting army compositions rather than whatever RoRs and random stuff I can cobble together.I can never be bothered waiting for global recruitment times, but I also can't be hosed going all the way back to where all my unit buildings are.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Jamwad Hilder posted:

ok this is a fair point but also have you ever had an army thats a saurus lord on a carnosaur with at least 5 (ideally more) scar veterans who are also on carnosaurs? it takes a while to get to that point but when you get there oh man

I usually end up with like 8 skink heroes on various forms of triceratops instead, which is usually even more radical because the skinks are shooting lightning bolts out of their eyes while the triceratops stomp on things.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I usually just end up recruiting armies of whatever I can get from global in one turn

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
This has probably been asked countless times, but is there a good source to get a deeper understanding on the strategy/mechanics of Warhammer? Like, I know the basic tutorial stuff about moving your army and all that, and I kinda understand the citybuilding aspects, but I don't really know... what to prioritize on the campaign map, or when to make a second lord/army, or basically anything beyond playing the game on Easy, making a big army, and steamrolling everyone I run into.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Yeah the Lizardmen are kind of absurd as they have Lore of Life + dinosaurs + all their heroes and lords (except Slann) can get dino mounts. Once they get their first few stegadons they start to gain so much momentum.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Stick it on normal, try, try again!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Desfore posted:

This has probably been asked countless times, but is there a good source to get a deeper understanding on the strategy/mechanics of Warhammer? Like, I know the basic tutorial stuff about moving your army and all that, and I kinda understand the citybuilding aspects, but I don't really know... what to prioritize on the campaign map, or when to make a second lord/army, or basically anything beyond playing the game on Easy, making a big army, and steamrolling everyone I run into.

Two youtubers I can recommend:

For starting out, Zerkovich has a lot of general basic strategy, units, and mechanics for dummies videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/ZerkovichGames/videos

For when you're interested in figuring out how to break the campaign game over your knee and exploit every last dirty trick possible, the infamous LegendofTotalWar is probably the gold standard for TWW. He mostly plays in the cheesiest and most min-maxing ways possible, but it's hard to deny that when it comes to figuring out how to optimize the hell out of basically every campaign there's almost no one who compares. Skimming his content can teach you fun tricks you can use in your own campaigns even if you're not interested in going balls to the wall cheesy AI exploit mode. https://www.youtube.com/c/LegendofTotalWar

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Remo posted:

Yeah the Lizardmen are kind of absurd as they have Lore of Life + dinosaurs + all their heroes and lords (except Slann) can get dino mounts. Once they get their first few stegadons they start to gain so much momentum.

It Really Bothers Me that only Slann can use lore of Life but also only Slann can't dino up, meaning there is no way to have a really good 20/20 dino army except the Mazda himself.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

It Really Bothers Me that only Slann can use lore of Life but also only Slann can't dino up, meaning there is no way to have a really good 20/20 dino army except the Mazda himself.

At least you can get some healing from skink oracles now!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Remember when Rev Crystals were actually pretty good and not completely dogshit wastes of space? :smith:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They seem worth taking on an army with a lot of melee if you were going to be bringing a bastilodon anyway, but yeah not really worth building an army around. You can get some units back and the end of a fight though at least.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

They need some slight downside as unlike the other monster mash armies they can actually be quite flexible in what tools they bring to a battle.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Time for another Okoii video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJJZGLBsJSw

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Kanos posted:

Two youtubers I can recommend:

For starting out, Zerkovich has a lot of general basic strategy, units, and mechanics for dummies videos. https://www.youtube.com/c/ZerkovichGames/videos

For when you're interested in figuring out how to break the campaign game over your knee and exploit every last dirty trick possible, the infamous LegendofTotalWar is probably the gold standard for TWW. He mostly plays in the cheesiest and most min-maxing ways possible, but it's hard to deny that when it comes to figuring out how to optimize the hell out of basically every campaign there's almost no one who compares. Skimming his content can teach you fun tricks you can use in your own campaigns even if you're not interested in going balls to the wall cheesy AI exploit mode. https://www.youtube.com/c/LegendofTotalWar

Seconding. Zerkovich has nicely organized tutorial guides (there’s a playlist of “noob mistakes” that’s good, “why you suck as tww”, etc, in addition to his army guides). Legend also has some good 20-turn guides showing how to get a solid start to a campaign. I used those when I was starting out. He’s been doing good unit roster tier guides too recently.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Legends recent Mistwalker disaster battle episode was outstanding. 14 casualties total when fighting 3 full stavks with 1 stack. Hilarious.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

KittyEmpress posted:

Legends recent Mistwalker disaster battle episode was outstanding. 14 casualties total when fighting 3 full stavks with 1 stack. Hilarious.

lol holy god, i have never watched his vids before but that drew me in. i had no idea what folks meant when they saod "exploiting the enemy AI," this is orders of magnitude more bonkers than i thought.

does anyone in the thread play that way on the reg?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Muscle Tracer posted:

lol holy god, i have never watched his vids before but that drew me in. i had no idea what folks meant when they saod "exploiting the enemy AI," this is orders of magnitude more bonkers than i thought.

does anyone in the thread play that way on the reg?

only if im losing :ssh:

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I used to think I was clever in that if I was defending a doomed garrison(especially as Skaven) I'd manually fight the battle and go out of my way to isolate and destroy the enemy artillery if it was unguarded for even a moment. Helped take the teeth off Chaos stacks in Vortex to take away their hellcannons. Boy did I have a lot to learn. I don't play the cheesy way pretty much at all but Legend taught me a lot about good end of battle conduct before you actually click the end battle button. In my Imrik campaign when I win I'm running down as many Skaven weapons teams as I can to damage or kill them to the last rat so they disband on the retreat, gently caress them up until they're dead or they actually reach the map edge. Also had fun holding a garrison with Eltharion using apotheosis to heal himself and a garrison sun dragon above the lovely 30% health they had because of a plague. Varg got razed but the plague is fading and by the second defense(won the first amazingly) I'd broken 70% of the first stack. Healing magic is crazy good if you spend an extra minute or two on triple speed using your extra winds before clicking that button.

Also I got more interested in heroes as map scouts but Legend really hammers home that you need vision or you're gonna have trouble. I've fought Skaven as primary foes for most of this campaign and have not been ambushed once. Rolling the dice on hero actions and seeing money evaporate is frustrating true(had an 86% chance to succeed fail, thanks X-Com) but assassinating heroes and assault units immediately before beginning battle has made things much easier too.

Stuff like "dance your Lord in front of their archers to drain their ammo" doesn't interest me but I've also gotten better at reading enemy armies and identifying their biggest balance of power holders and at least eviscerating them first if I must take bad damage on the enemy counter-charges/archer volleys. I also learned how to make the AI focus on specific units in your army while not advancing on your main army. You could call that cheese.. except it feels more like I've finally learned how to actually use the intended "stealth in forests/behind hills" mechanic to any effect more useful than a very brief start of battle moment before we engage normally after I blunder out of the trees.

Honestly I was getting bored of the game because I was getting so good at the campaign aspect I could really rapidly get to 90% auto-resolving and map painting(i.e. my recent Hellebron campaign.) Going to legendary difficulty, living with my missteps and recovering from them is really engaging again and trying to manually win lop-sided fights is fun as hell.