Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was more fun thinking the race mattered. That plus the random army spawns being less random and WoC wasn't so boring a roster, who know. Like, making the donut gates a big feature iin marketing and then making GBS threads out 5 stacks of hellcannons and chosen inside the ring.

I think anyone that completes the votex campaign using the cop out quest battle should have got a bogus ending like old nes games when you beat them on easy mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i honestly liked the vortex map and when I had factions that ignored the actual vortex I kinda preferred it to mortal empires

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
The vortex map was better for nearly all the game 2 factions, the only exceptions being ones that interact heavily with the old world like Arkham and Nagashizzar.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Vortex map ruled and I was very happy that none of the new Lords or races had anything to do with the Vortex.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

From watching Mandalore's review it sounds like the mono-god chaos factions all have really disappointingly small rosters despite their cool campaign mechanics :(

Vampire Counts only got one DLC but they have a roster of 34 units. Kislev and Cathay have 19, Ogre Kingdoms have 23. But then the mono-god demon factions are small rosters with reused units and 3 units shared across all the mono-gods.

Khorne has 19 units in the roster and it looks like most of them are just reskinned Norsca/Chaos units from the first games

Tzeentch has 14 units in the roster, and several of them are reused. Tzeentch and Nurgle don't even have unique skins for their mortal units.

The mono-gods also share most of their settlement maps, their unique campaign building, etc.

That's not a huge deal in the long run and they still look fun but I don't think I can bring myself to play one of them as my first campaign, I'm too excited to check out new stuff! The Demons of Chaos faction on the other hand have every non-mortal chaos unit for a total roster size of 39!!! Plus gets partial campaign mechanics from each of the mono-god factions.

Ogres also sound very fun, their campaign lets you play as a sort of independent mercenary/banditry band instead of a 'faction', including getting hired by other factions

Also it sounds like Tzeentch will be hilariously overpowered at launch - all of his units get a Master Chief style regenerating shield that is apparently absurdly OP

e: Mandalore closed out his hour-long review by saying because of how concerning the bugs he experienced were he doesn't recommend picking it up at full price, only gives it a "maybe" without knowing how bad the bugs are in the full release, and doesn't know if he'll cover what comes next :( I'm sure it'll all get sorted out in time like the last two games did though, and he said he's going to play the hell out of it anyway

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 16, 2022

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I agree that the monogod factions seem a little underwhelming and will likely be the first to get additional love via DLC since the rosters are so limited and there's only 1 LL per faction. Curious how to expand them in a satisfying way since the chaos rosters seem limited by design - how many different kinds of fast cav can Slaanesh get? Or slow, high-hp tanks for Nurgle? The Chaos Undivided faction seems better by virtue of having access to all four rosters to make exciting armies, while the monogod faction rosters seem limited to a very certain kind of playstyle

Nurgle seems to be positioned to be the weakest faction on release - the existing TWW2 meta (which doesn't seem set to change that much in TWW3) that favors artillery, missile infantry and AoE magic shits all over his roster, with his only seeming counter being the LL's artillery attack itself and the Nurgle Soul Grinder, which won't come online until T4 or T5 I think.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

rideANDxORdie posted:

I agree that the monogod factions seem a little underwhelming and will likely be the first to get additional love via DLC since the rosters are so limited and there's only 1 LL per faction. Curious how to expand them in a satisfying way since the chaos rosters seem limited by design - how many different kinds of fast cav can Slaanesh get? Or slow, high-hp tanks for Nurgle? The Chaos Undivided faction seems better by virtue of having access to all four rosters to make exciting armies, while the monogod faction rosters seem limited to a very certain kind of playstyle

Nurgle seems to be positioned to be the weakest faction on release - the existing TWW2 meta (which doesn't seem set to change that much in TWW3) that favors artillery, missile infantry and AoE magic shits all over his roster, with his only seeming counter being the LL's artillery attack itself and the Nurgle Soul Grinder, which won't come online until T4 or T5 I think.

I imagine they'll start by pulling in the god specific variants of units already in the game like Pestigors/Tzaangors for Nurgle and Tzeentch etc. And maybe flesh out god variants for stuff like Norsca with their original units (Khorne Werewolves etc). Also god specific Aspiring Champs seem like a no-brainer.

There's also a ton of room to give factions ranged tools. Its pretty weird only Tzeentch really has them with Khorne and Nurgle having like 1/2 units apiece and Slaanesh has none.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I much prefer a limited toolset where every unit has a very specific purpose for existing, even if it’s not the best at it, over having a unit for every situation. To me it adds a fun puzzle element to figuring out how to deal with enemies. The combined Chaos faction is pretty boring to me because I think it’s kind of lame to be able to get the best of everything, even if the campaign mechanics keep you from getting it all at once and maybe not getting every tier 5 unit.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

This talk of limited vs bloated rosters reminds me: what niche to globadiers fill now?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah tbh I wish more factions had very pared back, focused unit rosters. VC and dwarves are cool because of their notable weaknesses.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
VCounts are one of my favorites to play of all time partially because you literally can't spam missiles but TBH cavalry being dogshit really hurts them, I wish black knights weren't total rear end and even blood knights feel underwhelming to use.

I could see Khorne faction picking up some units with missile attacks that are closer to Norsca's javelineers and throwing ax marauders. Honestly, with how big a deal they made when unveiling the Lizardmen's Chameleon Stalkers' "precursor attack" I kind of was expecting some of the units in TWW3 to have something similar but doesn't look like they do.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Tirranek posted:

This talk of limited vs bloated rosters reminds me: what niche to globadiers fill now?
Very short range bombardment from places where you can't squeeze a mortar into. I've had decent success with putting the garrison ones on top of gatehouses and hitting gate breaking monsters from behind as they're tarpitted by summoned or garrison clanrats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Randarkman posted:

I'm like 99% sure prince build-a-bear can't make cults.

Prince killed-a-bear surely?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Prince Killed-This-Thread should arise!

Arghy, strike it down!!!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Tirranek posted:

They have way more models than the mortars, so if you get a good volley off they will melt the enemy much faster at the cost of having to place them more carefully and expose them to battle.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Anyone else have trouble getting it to finish downloading or unpacking? I had pre downloaded it then this morning it was trying to unpack but repeatedly pausing again, I restarted steam and now it says it is downloading at 70% :psyduck:

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Long pauses are typical of Total War downloads/unpacks I think. Mine took a solid hour to unpack with a decent SSD.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I haven't played the previous games so I did the prologue - seemed good until the khorne mission teleported a bunch of things on top of me and I lost, and then a tzeentch stack of 15 chased me down immediately afterwards and killed my general, who didn't respawn after 4 turns despite the message, and then I discovered it only kept 5 turns of autosave by default so I need to start over.

Was there a trick I was missing for the khorne mission? Are the cav / harpies who spawn behind you a punishment for not advancing or do they always spawn after X time?

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

xiw posted:

I haven't played the previous games so I did the prologue - seemed good until the khorne mission teleported a bunch of things on top of me and I lost, and then a tzeentch stack of 15 chased me down immediately afterwards and killed my general, who didn't respawn after 4 turns despite the message, and then I discovered it only kept 5 turns of autosave by default so I need to start over.

Was there a trick I was missing for the khorne mission? Are the cav / harpies who spawn behind you a punishment for not advancing or do they always spawn after X time?

Hey, there''s a thread for 3 that moves a little faster for questions https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993361

but that is a feature of total war warhammer quest battles. even the rare ones that don't go "AH HA! We will attack from all sides!" you are constantly wondering when it's going to spawn poo poo behind you

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

xiw posted:

The reinforcement wave in that battle spawns once you wiped out most of the initial enemy army IIRC.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

So uh, Skarbrand really tears people apart huh? Playing as Katarin I was level 17, he was 12. His army annihilated mine no matter what I tried. Any tips for what to do as Kislev against Khorne? Gunline seems a bad idea when it's 6 chariots, etc. Also playing on legendary because I'm an idiot.

Oh whoops wrong thread.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 20, 2022

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'm playing WH2 for the first time after enjoying WH3 on gamepass but decided to leave it in the over a bit longer. Any QoL mods recommendations?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Unless you really like to micro every unit, this is the biggest QoL improvement mod IMO:
AI General lets you assign units in a battle to be AI-controlled, for units you don't want to micro or if you just want to sit back and watch battles.
If you're playing on Normal battle difficulty you can safely hand everything over to the AI and just control your heroes/lords if you want to play Dynasty Warriors style, even on Hard battles it's good enough at doing things like microing cav, dogs or fliers that you can focus on less finnicky units

Force defeated factions to confederate lets you force confederations by beating a faction into submission
Faster End Turn Camera makes turn passing much faster
Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords lets you forces you to recruit lords and heroes from defeated factions belonging to your race. This had some kind of annoying issue with not having a way to get rid of any heroes you get that have Immortal, which detracts from your hero cap - but if you want to use all of your race's LLs, this is how
Region Trading lets you trade regions with the AI
Better Camera Mod lets you zoom in closer or our further

Personally I can't play without this one but it can be divisive:
Remove Walls from all minor and major settlements but adds more units to their garrisons, replaces the Wall building with a building that buffs garrison troops, keeps walls in racial capitols

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 22, 2022

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's a mod that lets you kill characters from your roster which goes along great with recruit defeated LLs.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
New Settlement, who dis is obviously very important.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I played through that linear Dorf mod yesterday. It's short, but real cool, hope they keep at it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Just tried out Skrag and he's a lot of fun. Campaign move speed is so clutch. Gorgers are a pretty useful unit too-the combination of vanguard, frenzy, and anti infantry let them shred Missile units into ribbons. He's also got a skill that summons a unit of them which also sounds excellent for countering ranged and artillery.

The maw spell that lowers leadership is helpful in a lot of fights, and I found its good vs demons to get them to disintegrate.

Right now my main challenge is to find optimal spots for camps. You want the radius to cover as many settlements as possible (to take advantage of post battle buffs) and ideally in enemy territory which through research gets bonuses to growth. I'm not sure if growth buffs from heroes, events, and settlement buildings affect camps themselves. Putting them in harms way risks them getting attacked though later you can have 90% upkeep reduction total I think. Ogre bulls get another -5% through research so you could theoretically have a max stack in the camp and it'll only cost about what 2 units would normally cost in upkeep.

Having the camp being an immobile unit is kind of wonky though, I'm not sure a nearby army will be able to help it and lightning strike could be a big problem. It should have just let an army 'garrison' inside so that enemies are forced to deal with both all the time and an armys settlement buffs could apply to the camp as well.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Just finished my first of TW3's campaigns, I'm not sure it's possible to be more fun than Khorne demons. Skarbrand is a meteor of hate that zooms around the entire world and fucks up everything. I didn't even miss not having bullets or magic. I just summoned bloodthirsters and laughed as my entire army walked through Tzeentch flamer shots. 5 star campaign would recommend.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Just tried out Skrag and he's a lot of fun. Campaign move speed is so clutch. Gorgers are a pretty useful unit too-the combination of vanguard, frenzy, and anti infantry let them shred Missile units into ribbons. He's also got a skill that summons a unit of them which also sounds excellent for countering ranged and artillery.

The maw spell that lowers leadership is helpful in a lot of fights, and I found its good vs demons to get them to disintegrate.

Just finished my Skrag campaign tonight, and let me assure you that Gorgers are very good through every fight. They should fall off late game, but they just don't. With Franzy and the red line buffs they'll have 120 damage, so they mulch anything big and they are designed to be anti-infantry so they also shred through front lines. I was afraid they'd be like Mournguls from vampire coast but they feel much better in practice with their high mass and the Ogre army skill that gives damage in an AoE once you've killed enough routing enemies allowing them to really keep their momentum.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zodiac5000 posted:

Just finished my first of TW3's campaigns, I'm not sure it's possible to be more fun than Khorne demons. Skarbrand is a meteor of hate that zooms around the entire world and fucks up everything. I didn't even miss not having bullets or magic. I just summoned bloodthirsters and laughed as my entire army walked through Tzeentch flamer shots. 5 star campaign would recommend.

its so good, its like an ultra-refined version of Taurox's campaign with all the rough edges smoothed out so you can enjoy the pure unfiltered violence

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
There is a warhammer 3 thread

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
the old ways are best and you're going in the book for that quip

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I'm playing as Thorek Ironbrow and had Naggarond declare war on me. I had a nap/military access with Court of Lybaras who were already at war with Naggarond when this happened, yet my war (and military actions against them) are showing as having a negative attitude effect on my relationship with Lybaras... any idea why that could be? :s

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
There's a 9.4gb update/patch on Steam today for Warham 2. Anyone know what that's about? I can't find any info on the page, warham site or twitter.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

bone napoleon posted:

There's a 9.4gb update/patch on Steam today for Warham 2. Anyone know what that's about? I can't find any info on the page, warham site or twitter.
Someone posted in the WH3 thread that its likely a localization update that will not affect mot people.

edit: WH3 thread if you want it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993361

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's about 22 gigs, and the game works fine if you delete every non-primary language (like English) file in the data folder.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Latecomer here… had a blast with both sets of elves and the lizard dudes but I’ve had to restart with queek like three times. Any tips?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Queek is a Skaven Melee Guy and melee are weaker in WH2 than they are in WH3 overall. It is also one of the least exciting Skaven niches. If you play Queek in Mortal Empires or move to WH3 and Immortal Empires he at least gets a nice starting building landmark to help, and his gimmick of "frontline of Clanrats/Stormvermin" is a bit nice if you want to have an anvil for once as Skaven while your Runners, Warpfires, Globadiers and Catapults go to town. His gimmick of extra Menace Below is at least very practically excellent since good Menace use wings fights but remember that the AR won't count those so you'll be doing a lot more manual fights. Instant flank, instant suicide stallers, destroy isolated artillery and ranged, etc.

Queek himself is an excellent duelist, especially with full purples, clickable buffs and trophy heads. He also benefits from the new Chieftains that got patched into WH2 later and help support the cuh-razy gimmick of a Skaven campaign with real fronts, encouraging you to have a clanrats building in every province. They are also excellent tanky heroes and Queek + 2 Chieftains + Caster Hero makes a rock solid anchor and little death ball all by itself.

Otherwise standard Skaven play. You can have a 2nd Lord shadow your heavy hitters with 10-19 skavenslaves and flood the enemy with chaff to give them light damage, exhaustion, and hold them while ranged death and spells find them. Don't neglect your economy, Skaven make money from every building and their major settlement infrastructure to boost income is huge. Mind your food and use commandments and the occasional clutch undercity to help spread it but the best way to stay ahead of food woes is to fight battles and win and to not go too crazy with settling cities at higher points until you're already capping on food, I like to spend as much food as would take me from the 5th notch in the green down to the 4th notch still in the green.

Queek in Vortex can be a really hard start because Lizardmen counter a lot of early Skaven bullshit. Slaveslings and most Runners even are gonna bounce off shielded Saurus. Make sure you have a truly fiendish and effective hammer, even if it's just Rat Ogres or Warpfire Throwers.

All these strats still apply if you have Skaven DLC, you just get dramatically better options. Use Queek's bonuses to have a good anvil and then have wolf rats flank, they're incredible at it. Or use Ikit's death teams to shoot up the joint.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 12, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
*blink* Took a moment to realize which thread this is. Yea, Total Warhammer is basically a 'rolling release' type of game even if the devs won't say so, and so everyone's just migrated to the newer threads. I don't own TW3 but I post in the new thread (linked a few posts above).

To clarify, Doomykins' "Melee guy" point refers to units rather than lords; the lords are plenty beefy and can carry armies on their back. It just so happens that autoresolve hates melee units and likewise in-battle all of your dps typically comes from ranged combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Serephina posted:

It just so happens that autoresolve hates melee units and likewise in-battle all of your dps typically comes from ranged combat.

Unless they're heavily armoured. Chaos Chosen or Dwarf Warriors can carry you through auto resolves for the late and early game, respectively.

Not much armour to be found as Skaven, though.