Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

I think the thing with skaven denial is its either magically enforced or part of a massive conspiracy that pervades anywhere the skaven get a foothold. Your characters can become skaven deniers if they stand in a corrupted zone too long it makes sense its either a magical brainworm or a mundane brainworm caused by the skaven being craven, venal little turds.

It's canon (somewhere) that the Grey Seers perform a yearly ritual to make people forget. It's also been suggested that the imperial leadership know drat well that the rats are there and keep it secret to prevent a panic.

[edit] Another bit of lore from the steam: the starmetal harpoon was created by a Captain Wolfhart, the brother of Marcus Wolfhart the imperial huntmaster.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Queek puts on a human head like a hat and pretends to be a man - thing, weekend at Bernie's style. Settra's been out of the loop for so long he can't tell the difference. And ain't nobody gonna tell that guy otherwise.

"You sign treaty pact, we help dead things, yes yes!"

"What's that torrent of yellow liquid you are shooting behind you?"

"Is Musk of betrayal ERRR no-no! Is just human....uhhhh....tribute?"

"Ah of course. My eunuchs will direct you to the treasury where you can leave the rest of the tribute to my superiority"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ZeusJupitar posted:

It's canon (somewhere) that the Grey Seers perform a yearly ritual to make people forget. It's also been suggested that the imperial leadership know drat well that the rats are there and keep it secret to prevent a panic.

[edit] Another bit of lore from the steam: the starmetal harpoon was created by a Captain Wolfhart, the brother of Marcus Wolfhart the imperial huntmaster.

They have whole organizations of heavily-armed ratcatchers going on DnD advantures through municipal sewers so there must be some people in the know. Plus the dawi probably make fun of them bc every dawi knows the treacherous rakki. They’re second only to orcs in grudgins.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I love the dudes who have the sole military occupation of rat catcher and that they're the most serious men out there.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

SirPhoebos posted:

Rock-and-Roll Martian!

I want an achievement for knocking the advisor off the table with a vacuum cleaner.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Oh, hi, Stromfels.

So, Manaan and Stromfels: It's not certain if Stromfels is a separate God, an aspect of Manaan the Sea God, or what. What is known is that the cult of Manaan loving hates Stromfels worship and that Stromfels worshipers goddamn love sharks and murder. See, Manaan is a fickle and dangerous God as it is, because the ocean can be fickle and dangerous. Stromfels, on the other hand, is sort of the God of Maritime Disasters and Everyone Getting Eaten By Sharks. Nobody likes him. Everyone who sails on the sea is scared of him. If she's his, that's actually pretty interesting.

No-one likes Manaan either. They just acknowledge that he's in charge and you'd better propitiate him if you're going to go anywhere on water and plan to survive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I love the dudes who have the sole military occupation of rat catcher and that they're the most serious men out there.

In the new Warhammer RPG, the highest level of the rat-catcher career eventually gains Fearless: Skaven. To quote someone in the F&F thread

quote:

Bigger rats, bigger dog, same poo poo, different day. So what if they've got giant magic siege cannons? Principle's the same.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

because im so bad at strategy games I only really have any luck with horde factions (or sort of horde hybrid factions like norsca) so i am very much looking forward to Vampire Coast so I can merrily have battles while sailing around my jolly evil boat.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

In the new Warhammer RPG, the highest level of the rat-catcher career eventually gains Fearless: Skaven. To quote someone in the F&F thread

Forget your undead pirates, flying carpets, belly cannons, evil midgets and mercenary companies.

TWWH will not be complete until they introduce the small but vicious dog.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I'm imagining warhammer ratcatchers to carry a straight up man-catcher and have like eight seperate 'rathounds' which are really just more compact pitbulls.

Alternatively

https://i.imgur.com/kKgkpXH.mp4

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 19, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Motherfucker posted:

I'm imagining warhammer ratcatchers to carry a straight up man-catcher and have like eight seperate 'rathounds' which are really just more compact pitbulls.

In 4e, the highest level of Ratcatcher upgrades to a large, but vicious dog and a ton of 'rat poison' which is all high priced exotic assassination gear.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
The rats are the ones with the man-catchers. Its a messed up world.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
That just makes logical sense. The rats are catching mans, hence they have mancatchers.

The men are catching rats, hence they need repeater rifles and ideally a dwarven flamethrower.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Nobody bats an eye when a rat catcher in The Elder Scrolls goes with full plate armor and a claymore, I don't see why it would be any different in Warhammer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

turn off the TV posted:

Nobody bats an eye when a rat catcher in The Elder Scrolls goes with full plate armor and a claymore, I don't see why it would be any different in Warhammer.

drat, after Vermintide and Total Hams this reminds me that an Elder Scrolls-style Warhammer game is all that's left before 12-year-old me creams his pants.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well they are basically Tolkien derivatives. WH has the better lore/factions/races, but TES was made by a video game company. Vermintide combat in an RPG tho? Oh man.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Funnily enough, GW just put out at an in-universe bit of 40k orks trying this exact tactic;

https://regimental-standard.com/2018/10/17/kapz-4-nobz/

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Total War Warhammer 2 for 30% off ($42) as the star deal on fanatical today.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/total-war-warhammer-ii

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I assume that if you see a guy walking around in full plate armor and a claymore in Warhammer, it just means youre looking at someone who's off to visit Grandma off near the woods.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've fallen off watching TWW multiplayer, but I'll definitely check out the big tournament tomorrow because show me the zombieghosts.

My money's on Gobbo winning the whole thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
:goonsay: akshually, full plate armour is extremely rare, only dwarf and empire nobility have it

Mordja posted:

I've fallen off watching TWW multiplayer, but I'll definitely check out the big tournament tomorrow because show me the zombieghosts.

My money's on Gobbo winning the whole thing.

Is Turin hosting it? That dude is really good at casting, like he could be a professional radio personality.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:goonsay: akshually, full plate armour is extremely rare, only dwarf and empire nobility have it

Is Turin hosting it? That dude is really good at casting, like he could be a professional radio personality.

Yeah he's the main commentator, I think. CA's flown him out to the UK.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Him, ItalianSpartacus and Janet on Occasion. I don’t really care for Italian but I like both JoO and Turin a lot.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 19, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anno posted:

Him, ItalianSpartacus and Janet of Occasion. I don't really care for Italian but I like both JoO and Turin a lot.
And one of CA's staff will round it out. Guessing he'll mostly be explaining the VSea and patch changes though.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I hope we get to see some more lore of the deep

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Funnily enough, GW just put out at an in-universe bit of 40k orks trying this exact tactic;

https://regimental-standard.com/2018/10/17/kapz-4-nobz/

LMAO "umie mekboy hats iz red, which makes yer brain go fasta"

"Wearin' Komissar hats gives you their umie powers uf yellin and shootin yer own gitz"

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Fancy hats are great, and that's why old Chaos Dwarfs ruled.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm really hoping they lean hard on the old Chaos Dwarf aesthetic when Game 3 comes around.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I swear I've seen fan art that was a good mix of taking them out of the 90s without making them full grimdork like the forgeworld range.

I think CA did well with lizardmen in that regard, they don't look as bad as the old plastic models but skinks and slann are still adorable.

And the kroxigor gator people are way better than any GW version I ever saw.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

jokes posted:

WH has the better lore

:chloe:

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Great big hats for the officers, smaller hats with the same flat topped profile for the troops. Above all don't make the mistake forgeworld did of giving them a different hat profile.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is my favourite chaos dwarf art:

this guy is one of the most likely legendary lord candidates, a sorceror who has nearly turned to stone so he uses robot legs to get around:

this forgeworld model is neat, he could be like a kholek suneater legendary lord, but overall i really dont like the forgeworld chaos dwarfs because they got rid of all the big hats

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

this is my favourite chaos dwarf art:

this guy is one of the most likely legendary lord candidates, a sorceror who has nearly turned to stone so he uses robot legs to get around:

this forgeworld model is neat, he could be like a kholek suneater legendary lord, but overall i really dont like the forgeworld chaos dwarfs because they got rid of all the big hats

Please never stop posting :allears:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Are Norsca trolls decent on Very Hard battle difficulty if you're playing Throgg? I just started a new game but as Norsca I'm going to be spending a lot of time fighting tons of halberdiers, maybe I should just ignore the troll bonuses

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

Are Norsca trolls decent on Very Hard battle difficulty if you're playing Throgg? I just started a new game but as Norsca I'm going to be spending a lot of time fighting tons of halberdiers, maybe I should just ignore the troll bonuses

Once you get your Throgg buffs you can literally make a 20 troll army and never lose to anything

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I confess I don't know TES lore much because every time I start to learn a bit about it I start to yawn and end up not caring. Like, it seems needlessly convoluted and complicated.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did CnC change skaven recently because I tried Malekith tonight and they seem kinda bullshit. We're talking between cheapo troops at a point where you probably can't field a full stack, and garrisons that poo poo out stormvermin, plague monks, and death runners, at tier 2, you can be fighting 6000 rats with less than 1000 dudes trying to unify your home province. At which point Malekith getting 1400 kills himself isn't enough. Killing their leadership and going for chain routs doesn't matter because they can poo poo nine clanrats and a stormvermin that all don't degrade, as summons, and their huge numbers and poo poo leadership mean they'll be back four times each with mostly full strength. And of course they're fast enough to outrun anything early you send to pursue and numerous enough that you'll run out of ammo long before denting them.

Mowing down rats was fun exactly once but now I dread seeing them in CnC. They're either absolute pushovers or insanely tedious. Like "oh boy time to sit on 3x speed for 15 minutes."

It's really demoralizing to see Malekith mow down 200 rats in one cast and rout them all only to notice, oh, there's another 3 full clanrats waddling out of the forest and all the routers from the previous nuke are back at full morale even though their leaders are all dead"

There's no strategy, just whether or not your economy is good enough to run enough troops to facetank a million rats, because even a win will see me sitting there with 0 winds and 0 abilities just fast forwarding.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 20, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I do know that CnC gave slaves and Clan Rats this ability that is like regeneration;so long as they aren't shattered the units will automatically spawn more ratmen in the unit.

This is very effective in the meat grinders you go though in CnC, and like a lot of things benefits the AI much more than a hypothetical Skaven player, because they'll always be sitting at an economical advantage.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008
I'm trying out Choice & Consequence for the first time as Isabella, and I'm getting absolutely slaughtered by the dwarves. My armies can't go toe-to-toe with them at all, and since they seemed to have instantly steamrolled the Greenskins, they have a massive empire that can just throw wave after wave at me. Is there any advantage Vampires can get over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Skaven armies do not scale well into late-game but late-game for a non-capital province is just T3 which every AI gets by like turn 10. So you'll be fighting late-game units by then, just hopefully in small enough numbers you can still smash them. However, skaven get more units because they're skaven which causes problems. Most mods can't get Skaven right for this reason. SFO especially, because AR seems to think a single dwarf warriors unit is worth about 5 clan rats cards.