Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Gobbo King naming himself Admiral Gobbo King has me convinced that we now need a Goblin Pirate army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That was a great match! Did cannons get buffed? Because the rate they took out uncle Nocty was insane.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

hahahahaha Noctilus' debut on stream was... something.

after much pre-game hype about Noctilus, and fawning over his Necrofex mount he was immediately gunned down by the Empire players' gun battery before the lines even met.

Lmao that was amazing.

Depth Guard are loving nuts though.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Mordja posted:

That was a great match! Did cannons get buffed? Because the rate they took out uncle Nocty was insane.

I think it was because they also had the two lords devoted to buffing them up against undead. Like half his army was dedicated just to sniping a huge regenerating lord lol.

Hopefully we get to see Noctilus again without the hardcore counter pick.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
What an upset!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, wow. Definitely unexpected.

I guess THATS how Skaven are meant to be played.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Skaven with no warcrimes artillery is shameful

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I kind of feel like garrisons could be made a bit more useful if heroes could have half or quarter stacks. Not the full 20 units that lords get, but a smaller army, that could be faster or maybe have bonuses to ambushes and such. That way you could support your main stack with a couple smaller ones to scout enemies, or beef up a garrison just enough to make it a good fight with a full stack. That way you could keep something around to defend your cities, maybe moving from city to city as need requires. It kind of builds on the corps idea the French came up with during the Napoleonic wars, where groups could move separately, but attack together.
That way, even weak garrisons would still have a point, as they could prevent a hero-stack from sneaking in and taking your cities, or, if you're skilled, fighting smaller-scale battles that could still take cities. Have a decent upkeep reduction compared to a normal stack, so you could actually have a couple of them.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
While the tournament is taking a break, they are showing static images on the stream over the commentators talking. The one with Direfin's army includes a ghost paladin hero. Has that been mentioned elsewhere? I know she can summon drowned knights errant, but I think the ghost paladin hero is new.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I dont know posted:

While the tournament is taking a break, they are showing static images on the stream over the commentators talking. The one with Direfin's army includes a ghost paladin hero. Has that been mentioned elsewhere? I know she can summon drowned knights errant, but I think the ghost paladin hero is new.

Yeah it was mentioned on the roster reveal stream.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It taken me a long time but I'm finally enjoying a Grimgor campaign. Once I realized he is the greatest lord/hero killer of all time it all started to click. Just send him and his Whirlwind Axe to the enemy general and in like 4 hits you have a fleeing army. I know he has issues with mounted lords knocking him around, but I haven't encountered anything like that yet.

Some Orc units do seem redundant, and I haven't nailed down any useful strategy beyond stack rock lobbers for dwarf smashy. Trolls are deceptively bad, and I only use them to smash very weak targets or as shock cav to win individual unit fights my good boys are engaged in.

I turned off CnC for this one so I'll probably run it back again once i get my hands on the Vampirates next month.

Looking forward to the badlands hellwar being done and facing some more varied opponents. I am picturing a green tide running over Bretonnia and I am smiling.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

juggalo baby coffin posted:

although if that was the case i'd imagine we'd have seen minis of all the vermintide characters, who survived to age of sigmar for Reasons.

I didn’t know that, maybe we’ll see them as a Shadespire team in a future release wave.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Did the world ending actually kill anyone? Only gone guy I can think of is Karl Franz and he just got turned into some sigmar daemon.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I thought that Sigmar and the other gods saved the souls of particularly worthy individuals to use in rebuilding their AoS armies. I think the Ubersreik five would probably have earned it.

On a business level, GW regards licensed properties as an alternate revenue stream and a way of building interest in their core properties. The two Vermintides have sold north of 3 million copies between them, and the non-elf characters* are well liked. So it would make business sense to introduce them into the tabletop AoS.

*Kerrilian's soul was eaten by Slaanesh on her way back to her home planet.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 20, 2018

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

If in some bizarre twist, the popularity of VP leads to them being introduced into AoS,

well guess I'd start playing AoS :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

I dont know posted:

I thought that Sigmar and the other gods saved the souls of particularly worthy individuals to use in rebuilding their AoS armies. I think the Ubersreik five would probably have earned it.

On a business level, GW regards licensed properties as an alternate revenue stream and a way of building interest in their core properties. The two Vermintides have sold north of 3 million copies between them, and the non-elf characters* are well liked. So it would make business sense to introduce them into the tabletop AoS.

*Kerrilian was eaten by Slaanesh on her way back to her home planet.

I am still waiting for an official Vermintide hero tie-in

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I dont know posted:

*Kerrilian was eaten by Slaanesh on her way back to her home planet.

glaikit mayfly spotted

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is Alarielle's Star of Avelorn quest bugged? It showed me at the beginning what chaos reinforcements to expect, and then out of nowhere came 4 or 5 Chaos Knight units from behind, completely decimating my lines prepared for the other two armies. I don't think I've ever seen a quest battle where the showed you what reinforcements the enemy was going to get, and then held back on a secret third one. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Playing around with tons of mods, which helps get an idea of balance for the game in the future and quality of life.

GCCM had announced they have made maps for a whopping 20% of all the settlements in Mortal Empires. This might not sound like much, but its twenty percent of something like three hundred goddamn maps, and they're still going strong. Even if you don't like what they do with siege battles, I highly recommend trying their sea battles beta, especially if you play as Dark Elves since it gives more dimension for Black Arks.

Choice and Consequence recently had an update, giving defensive wall buildings a bombardment ability for all races fighting in the area. I think right now they're all kind of samey, but I'm hoping they become more distinctive over time. I realized just recently the reason I was having compatibility issues is because for overhauls like Choice and Consequence you need the standalone mod AND the submod active (I had assumed just the submod).

So now I'm trying out Mixtu's Lord pack as well and it is absolutely bonkers in a fun way. Many factions (all?) start with a Legendary Hero along with your lord that comes with Immortality, and this helps some of the more difficult starts.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is Alarielle's Star of Avelorn quest bugged? It showed me at the beginning what chaos reinforcements to expect, and then out of nowhere came 4 or 5 Chaos Knight units from behind, completely decimating my lines prepared for the other two armies. I don't think I've ever seen a quest battle where the showed you what reinforcements the enemy was going to get, and then held back on a secret third one. Maybe I'm misremembering.

There are a lot like this, actually. Some don't show any reinforcements in the pre-battle and then there are up to 3 or 4 reinforcing groups that you weren't told about. It's just a roll-with-the-punches kind of thing, as much as it can take you by surprise.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
You can also bring your own reinforcements as well, I believe. Though maybe I'm just thinking of when I double-teamed a stationary rogue army.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is there a big difference between playing a WH1-native race in ME or WH1? I played a bunch of dwarves and loved it, I'm to about turn 100, I own everything on the map south of Everpeak, but I'll probably get WH2 in the halloween sale. I wanna know what to do for my next campaign.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Elswyyr posted:

Is there a big difference between playing a WH1-native race in ME or WH1? I played a bunch of dwarves and loved it, I'm to about turn 100, I own everything on the map south of Everpeak, but I'll probably get WH2 in the halloween sale. I wanna know what to do for my next campaign.

Unfortunately not a lot changes for the WH1 races except the change to Climates from Regional Occupation. The only one that gets easy access to the new stuff is Brettonia.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Dwarfs get the runeforge and a new start

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Elswyyr posted:

There's a big difference in the turn times, and your campaign will be pretty miserable in vanilla as Wood Elves or Vampire Counts

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Did the world ending actually kill anyone? Only gone guy I can think of is Karl Franz and he just got turned into some sigmar daemon.

Loeun died fighting against a Nurgle Demon IIRC. I think it turned out the Green Knight was Gilles Le Breton?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

The Duggler posted:

It taken me a long time but I'm finally enjoying a Grimgor campaign. Once I realized he is the greatest lord/hero killer of all time it all started to click. Just send him and his Whirlwind Axe to the enemy general and in like 4 hits you have a fleeing army. I know he has issues with mounted lords knocking him around, but I haven't encountered anything like that yet.

Some Orc units do seem redundant, and I haven't nailed down any useful strategy beyond stack rock lobbers for dwarf smashy. Trolls are deceptively bad, and I only use them to smash very weak targets or as shock cav to win individual unit fights my good boys are engaged in.

I turned off CnC for this one so I'll probably run it back again once i get my hands on the Vampirates next month.

Looking forward to the badlands hellwar being done and facing some more varied opponents. I am picturing a green tide running over Bretonnia and I am smiling.

I keep trying to get into orcs but their units just feel so lovely, especially compared to the new units from Mortal Empires. I know you can buff them up with Green iz Best or whatever, but that seems like it's a bit too much / overkill. They should do another balance pass on orcs it feels like

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Orcs need some new mechanics for sure. Empire first, but orcs too.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Greenskins definitely need some love in ME, kind of like empire except maybe worse. Grimgor isn't even close to being as good a hero /lord basher as guys like Wulfric, Kholek, Tyrion and the like. He's slow, has poo poo mass so he can't push through battle lines and gets knocked around by cav, ect. He really ought to have the mass of a large unit. Black orcs ought to be a 2 turn recruit like everyone else elite troops, and big 'uns really need to have charge defense vs large and a statline that really cements them as a dedicated anti large unit because as is skulkers do that job better with their smoke bombs. Boar boys have really fallen off in use because of their poo poo statline, more and more we're seeing shock cav that still does decently in melee (snake knights, silver helms, raptor riders) that even boar big 'uns can't compete with.

The one place I actually really like Greenskins are dedicated goblin armies / crooked moon. Night gobbo big bosses are genius and if you can protect them to level 6 or 7 and dedicate him to the red line you wind up with a terrifying band of cheap, lovely little monsters berserker, dying in droves but taking twice their numbers out with them. Mega buffed wolf riders are legit scary harassers and your regiments of renown are largely still goblin units, not a lot of orcs present.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

terrorist ambulance posted:

I keep trying to get into orcs but their units just feel so lovely, especially compared to the new units from Mortal Empires. I know you can buff them up with Green iz Best or whatever, but that seems like it's a bit too much / overkill. They should do another balance pass on orcs it feels like

This is a common feeling, and very true. They did VC this time around since it's thematically appropriate for an update with the Vampirates. CA has said they want to go back to the Greenskins and Empire, both of which are badly in need of some love.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Greenskins also have the weird distinction of being the only settlement faction that can't trade.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

You guys are harshing my green buzz

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am playing Queek right now with Green Iz Best, Ultimate Chaos, Gates of Chaos, and Ultimate Skaven. VC and Orcs are pretty much in control of the Old World but I suspect there's some poo poo going on up north I haven't seen yet, because Warriors of Chaos are ranked #1. Empire is gone, dwarves are a dying and filthy race.

It's very refreshing.

Speaking of autogarrisons, my garrison on Karak Eight-Peaks repelled two full ork stacks. Otherwise I have nothing up there because I decided the loving lizardmen had to go.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Panfilo posted:

Greenskins also have the weird distinction of being the only settlement faction that can't trade.

Strangely, most other races are pretty attached to their teef

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Speaking of Greenskins, a mod just came out that makes it so Waaaghs! spawn in your control, with the usual limitations plus their Lords not being able to level. They can also be moved during your turn (since the mod works by removing the Waaagh! faction), so feel free to try it out if you want better control over them.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I noticed that The Red Duke now has a unique red dragon shield as opposed to the old vampire piece of sheet metal on his model.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The chaos gate mod seems pretty wild, assuming it just keeps spewing out chaos stacks from ruins.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

toasterwarrior posted:

Speaking of Greenskins, a mod just came out that makes it so Waaaghs! spawn in your control, with the usual limitations plus their Lords not being able to level. They can also be moved during your turn (since the mod works by removing the Waaagh! faction), so feel free to try it out if you want better control over them.

No one would want a link to that, better not post it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
It is weird that they haven't just given Grimgor a mass increase, since they've been doing it to a bunch of other factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Mordja posted:

It is weird that they haven't just given Grimgor a mass increase, since they've been doing it to a bunch of other factions.

They added 500ish mass to him a few patches ago.