Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hot High Elf tip:

There is a tech that grants full vision to all parts of the ocean. This will get you a ton of trade route possibilities. Make that money, honey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Afriscipio posted:

Help! Teclis is in my back yard and he won't leave... It might have something to do with me sending Queek to his back yard and taking 5 settlements.

Seriously though, his army is 12 sea guard and 2 swordmasters and nothing I have in my home provinces can deal with it.

Do you have walls?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning there's actually a hotkey that will cause cav to cycle charge. Anyone happen to remember what that was?

:psyboom:

This needs to be in the OP.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Is it just me or is magic WAY too powerful now? Like, the amount of damage a caster can unload is just obscene.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I don't understand what all the hate for Lizardmen cavalry is. Cold one spears are amazing anticav, better than orc boar boys big 'uns. Horned ones have heavy armor, armor-piercing, and are just as fast as Reiksguard; I've found them to be worth the price of rampage. Maybe people dislike them because they're overshadowed by the carnasaurs and stegadons?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Because rampage is so much worse on a unit that relies on mobility and cycle charging, because dinosaurs do the job just as well if not better, and because people playing against lizardmen will already be bringing a healthy amount of anti-large damage

1. Horned ones don't need cycle charging, they have 40 melee offence and 52 damage. They are quite good once already in combat. Cold one spears don't rampage. Seriously, try the spears as anti-large. They are really good, especially for cost.

2. True, dinos can fill similar rolls, but cost far more and are even slower. However, dinos are a ton more fun so I'll give you that.

3. You could say the same thing about large vs. dinos.

Cpt_Obvious fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 18, 2017

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Comstar posted:

How is an Empire army going to last vs the 4 new ones? Everything seems outclassed at low-med-high tier in the Imperial army. You're out shot by Delves and Helves, out artilleried and out-steamtanked by Skaven and you're infantry won't cope with Lizards.

You out artillery the elves, out cavalry the skaven, and out-both the lizards. The beauty of the empire is they can alter their tactics to fit their opponent.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

So, the elven port settlements provide a bonus to port income. Does anyone know how much? Is it only for that province?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

I am not 100% on this since I can't remember if this was radious or not, but I think in warhammer 2 that the slayer building has been lowered a tier. I want to believe I saw that in the faction unlocker mod without radious on.

It was only tier 3 to begin with, it just cost like 10k gold to get, so it was almost never worth it.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Inverted Sphere posted:

I have a question! I haven't played either of the Warhammer Total War games but I've always been interested, just unable to due to the slight problem of money. Seeing the first Warhammer go on sale though, I wanted to ask if there's any reason to buy it when 2 is out? I know 2's campaign focuses on all these new and exciting factions, but is there any ability to play as the WH1 races even just in custom battles or whatever?

I guess what I'm asking is if WH2 is objectively the superior game and experience, or if there's a lot of races and whatnot from 1 that aren't here and thus if 1 might be worth grabbing at thirty bucks.

At the very least, if you own both versions, you get access to a combined super map which is released on 26. So, if you want to try out the first because it is on sale, and decide you really like it and would like more, it's in no way a waste. The sequel is more of a giant, standalone expansion.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pendent posted:

On a related note- has anybody else played Dwarfs in ME and if so do you feel like it's taking absolutely forever to get your economy at all functional? I can't tell if it's my time with the new races or if there's been an actual change but I'm barely affording a single real stack like 30 turns into the game.

I tried it, and there are two key components to the early dwarven economy: Gunbad and Barak Varr Province. Gunbad is just a flat gold bonus, and barak varr gives you a port that opens up a ton of trade routes as well as giving you a bunch of trade resources in the province itself.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hryme posted:

Uhm, I should probably stop playing on Very Hard. One settlement Crooked Moon Mutinous Gits can afford 3 full stacks. This is turn 25. One of the stacks even has Black Orcs and Trolls. Too bad Hard seems too easy.

Yeah, there seems to be a massive jump in difficulty between the two.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I'm finding that artillery seems bugged, not only does it not target stuff properly but even using attack ground or manual fire doesn't help much.

Maybe it has something to do with the way that AI will actually now try and dodge your shots.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Foxhound posted:

What am I missing with regards to Great Eagles? Whenever I play HE they always seem lacklustre for their investment (building/army slot/cost). Sometimes I get one in an emergency to have something to go after siege weapons, but generally is there any reason to have one instead of a phoenix/dragon?

For price, they are pretty good against artillery and ranged.. Also, they come out of a the same tier 3 building that White Lions come from, so they come out of minor settlements,

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Vargs posted:

The real reason that the Fellowship didn't just use the eagles is because they are loving trash.

Also the witch king, which people seem to forget.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kinetica posted:

I haven't been having a problem with killing the flying units, but the moment I start focusing them everything else seems to start burning. Are the DE calvary decent at dealing with the spear/bow combo units? When I tried before (on a morathi attempt), they didn't do very well.

If you're having trouble with seaguard, try corsairs with hand crossbows. Put them on melee mode, and have them flank around the side and charge the seaguard. If they run, the hand crossbows are shoot and move, so they get shot in the back and lose their shield bonus. If they fight, the corsairs will win handily with their superior stats, and not to mention armor which will help you survive the move in. If they just have a massive amount of the seaguard, consider adding some of those stalking units with dual weapons. Same idea, but they can start in a flanking position.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Hey, playing mortal empires as kroq. Don't want to go to war with my lizard neighbors, but I can't seem to get them to confederate with me, even though we have like 230 reputation, and am steadfast. I want that unique capital building, and I've already reached the sea, so there aren't any real enemies nearby. Am I just screwed? Is war the only way left?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

It's kind of a joke that a t3 barracks give you 3 tomb guard but only 2 nehekharakaka warriors. Also, basic skellymans need to be expendable. Also, 3000 gold for one ushtabi is ridiculous. Also, there needs to be a faster way to recruit skellymans. Also, chariots are super awesome and underpriced. Also, why does the chariot line end in a crappy catapult. Also, there should be a t3 chariot.

What I am trying to say is that I am a whiny baby and skellymans are hard and I don't understand why when I win a battle i have fewer units than the loser. Am I dense or are tomb Kings a horde faction with severe replenishment issues?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

This is less different from other factions than you suggest. Recruitment costs are usually about 5 turns of maintenance cost. Replacing an entire army of 20 units costs around 5 turns of maintaining that army, depending on how fast you recruit.

Most factions can choose to just have a diminished military for a few turns in order to save up for a big building. Tomb kings can't.

And that's really the problem with TK: a lack of options. Nearly every single piece of advice here has been "meat shield + arrows ==> Ushtabi. Also chariots maybe." If you find that play style unappealing, you're pretty screwed. Not only that, but many of the TK units are redundant: Their only chariots are nearly identical. The're cavalry is nearly identical. They only have 1 usable ranged units (their artillery needs some serious buffs). Their infantry is blander (and worse) than VC. The only part of the entire lineup that stands out is the constructs, and those take a long time to get to.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Why?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I think the most telling thing about the Flayerkin is that they made this specialized siege mutant that accomplished absolutely gently caress-all except for making the walls of Middenheim kinda gross for a couple months.

They would be some pretty cool additions to the lineup.
Could climb walls without losing vigor, some missile resistance, decent damage and low defense. Like flagellants without the damage resistance and frenzy.

Hell, maybe they could drop ropes behind then that let units climbing the same section of wall to not lose vigor. Also siege attacker trait maybe.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Considering none of them actually made it up the walls they probably don't have missile resistance.

As designed by GW, they would be appropriately useless or ridiculously overpowered, in this case the former.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Panfilo posted:

One easy way to transfer Norsca's advantages from the first game to this one is to make all settlements count as green climates to them, but non-port settlements (other than faction capitals) only get the limited building options.

How about all non coastal s are uninhabitable climate, but major capitals have unique settlements that reverse this problem?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

My Handgunners don't fire as often as they should but they can still rake in the kills with good elevation or lucky flanking. And yeah, Handgunners don't have a problem when targeting large enemies/characters/flyers, and in comparison Outriders and Helblasters aren't going to do so hot against them depending on the type. Still a Handgunner/Thunderer dude over here.

Hellblasters are just murder machines on a wheels. Seriously, if they don't rack up triple digit kill counts every battle, something is horribly wrong.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

EDIT: Oh wow, these Helblasters are killer. Still not really convinced about Outriders though; if I'm dropping Mortars for Helblasters, the Handgunners have to go because that front line is going to be way too direct-fire heavy.

I Always have at least one squad of mortars for sieges. Their arc shots are just perfect for firing onto or even over walls. Hellblasters really replace handgunners more than mortars anyway. If you want to try outriders, try the grenades. Sneak them around the rear of the enemy front line and shoot some bombs in their butts. The hard part is clearing the flanks for them, but you have hellblasters for that.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

I keep trying to love grenadier outriders but it's hard. They fill a semi-similar role to shock cav, and while they do put out some absurd damage if you can get them behind lines, they get shredded by everything on the field while reiksguard can at least clear their own path to the enemy competently while outriders just get hosed by anything that looks at them. I should try again once I get my demigryph halberds up and running.

Remember, they are fast and fire on the move, so you can also run up to the enemy line while they are still marching towards you, fire off a salvo, and run away. The blast will knock a huge chunk of unarmored units health. In this way, they also function as artillery in that you can do some serious damage before they even get close. This work especially good against vampire counts. Just beware of bats.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

I'd like a CA take on Dogs of War because if the pattern holds, they'll have cool new mechanics to differentiate them from the rest of the factions. My idea was the Dogs of War would have wildly different starts and victory objectives, like bringing back the Grudgebringers to act as a good guy horde faction that can recruit from the Order rosters and is intended to fight against evil factions, or a Lustria-based DoW horde whose goal is to Get That Gold. They could make some cool stuff up.

Their primary source of income could be lucrative missions assigned by order factions, or even a choice between an order faction and an evil one. Probably horde mechanics with reduced trespassing penalty

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Richard Bong posted:

I’ve had full beast men waaagh stacks lose to just sacked and t1 settlements with like 5 units.

Auto resolve is totally screwed, which makes for interesting board states, but terrible waaagh assistance.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is an annoyance of Total Hams for just about every race with cities. They have laughably small zones of control, and the AI loves to hone in on the weakest possible target, so they'll just waltz by your theoretical outer defenses and sack the juicy interior.

The dwarf capital is literally located in a tiny mountain pass and has giant battleship guns mounted on the front door that clearly have range to the other side of the pass... but orcs will still just laff thru and take the minor cities behind it.

e: https://www.redbubble.com/people/jc...grid&style=mens

Someone posted these in the milhist thread and I might actually by this t-shirt. It's hammy enough to send out nerd signals to everyone who gets it but not awful enough to be noticeable. Total Ham fans might enjoy.

Place a lord in a city's zone of control such that the lords zone blocks the path. If the enemy wants to get by, he must attack the lord, who will be backed up by the town garrison.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Fangz posted:

The trick for beating the Vortex campaign is not to expand too much. Have maybe two provinces and a few isolated regions that give some benefit (e.g. mines, or vortex resource, or a forward base), and have an ally occupy the rest. The vortex armies will then spawn in reasonable locations.

Just resign yourself to the fact that you may lose some minor cities. Capitals with walls can hold out till help arrives, but others are just going to need some rebuilding. It's part of the game.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gejnor posted:

"Hungry" update refers to a buff in skaven food production!

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/988810069348364290

Thank god, the food mechanic is keeping me from playing skaven. They just have so many unnecessary complexities to them, even one crappy wrinkle can make a big difference.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

CA's greatest regret is being awesome during WH1, and now that they hit a hitch with coding Norsca, the entitled TW community is making GBS threads a brick. It's aggravating to see a game company being punished for being too good at their job. No other company besides Blizzard gives this much of a crap about a game that has already launched.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

Hyperbole doesn't stop being obnoxious just because you think you're on the right side of an issue

fe: quoted wrong person

In what way am I being hyperbolic? They went above and beyond on WH1, and people complain that they aren't doing it again. Punishment doesn't have to come in the form of sales losses.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Remember Chaos on release?

Mordja posted:

I don't get the theory that CA semi-intentionally sabotaged their TWW2 DLC to focus on the historical games when Warhammer's been wildly successful, and the historical titles have been footnotes to previous, full games. What's more, I'd imagine the audience for Warhams isn't 100% the same audience as something like TOB. If the DLC will sell, there's no reason not to put it out when it's ready.

Similar expansions for similar games with similar release dates might cannibalize each other's sales. This would be a marketing decision, and therefore completely divorced from reality.

Also, Vermintide 2 came in the interim, so it could be GW genius at work.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

love it when the CA stans come out to tell us that actually we are in no way inconvenienced by Chaos being a lovely placeholder faction for Norsca.

FTFY

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Question: does bonus vs large on ranged units add accuracy the same way it adds melee skill on melee units?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mukip posted:

Its pretty disingenuous since the bonus to melee attack is unlisted. So +15 Bonus vs Large will add that mount to both damage and melee attack.

That's what I'm wondering. Ballista has a bonus to large, but it's so small compared to it's normal damage, it's not really that great. I just assumed it would be more accurate to hit like dragons and stuff, making it a perfect niche for dealing with monsters, but not as great as cannons against cavalry.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

If only Hitler could've found his calling as a game designer

World of Tanks would be nuts.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Does not disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

I tried doing this and the result was both the Greenskins and the Mutinous Gits Waagh bee-lining straight for me.

Edit: Also, the Waagh has artillery, because of course.

Seriously, ghost dad's are obscebely powerfu in combatl. Unbreakable, almost unkillable, and cause terror combined with the low orc moral. On top of all that, you get 4 of the drat things. Don't underestimate what you can get away with.