Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Blinks77 posted:

I'm kinda leaning more and more towards Making Ulthuan Great Again.

So, Malekith then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Wouldn't you start out friendly to most other high elves as Tyrion? I see them playing more like Bretonnia.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Bug... Or feature?? :D

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Total War AI is good, actually.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I haven't had a chance to watch the Q&A portion yet but he said the tick update is ten times a second and that during sieges the AI is constantly scanning the walls for new entry points. I wonder why not just have an event broadcast to the AI each time an entry point is created or destroyed. It seems like such a huge waste of resources to make constant checks on rare occurrences. Unless maybe that would screw up the search for ladder targets, but I can't imagine it would.

Because then you basically repeat the same problem again. The AI now needs to check the event stack ten ticks a second to see whether things have changed. Further every bit of code will have to have a routine to check whether it has created a new entry point for the AI or destroyed an entry point, creating dozens of little routines all over the code. Instead of having one Find_Entry code that you could debug in an unit test, you'd have to track down exactly which code is failing to update the entry list, which is being managed by a different team entirely. It's a huge pain in the arse.

quote:

They literally were just asking what a unit was instead of what it could do, but for Warhammer they fixed that and the AI made smarter choices.
It doesn't really make a difference until you had units with very different capabilities that were ostensibly the same type.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

I can't tell you for sure, but that seems like it would be a safe assumption to make.

Edit: Queek is the one who does rituals for NPC Skaven right? If I'm playing as Krok-Gar and I gank Queek, are skaven just out of the Vortex race or will Clan Pestilens take over for them?

Pestilens will take over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Empire in WH1 is Hard Mode.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

toasterwarrior posted:

Literally one of the newest mod releases is a Pleasure Guard mod for Dark Elves that adds a "hot female" unit and has a sexy elf assassin type as the picture so good job

I hope the unit is literally called 'hot female'. Possibly with flaming attacks.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Expanding naval warfare by adding naval units is a bad idea in my view because it'd likely make things worse. It'll lead to AI factions in safe places ploughing all their income into making the seas a hell while the player is stuck having to balance land army expenditure and naval expenditure.

It's probably more reasonable to tweak naval autoresolve a bit imo.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Also for naval units, what if you made it a hero but kept it from going on land somehow? Ports could be used to recruit them, and they'd have outrageously high stats to tilt the autoresolve when you embed them with a sailing lord's army

The complaints people had about AI agents in WH1 illustrate perfectly the dangers here.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Turn 302???????????

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How easy would it be for modders to rebalance the vortex campaign? I'm supposing what needs to be done is to change the chaos army spawning somewhat, and to make the final battle much harder.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Pretty easy I'd guess? The composition of those armies is predefined.

Well, I don't mean the composition, I mean where they spawn.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Night10194 posted:

I haven't actually played a TW game seriously since Med2 ages ago. My guys always seem to just clump up in a group when I'm trying to order them around. Are there any good primers for figuring out how to move units in formation and stuff like that?

Watch Party Elite's video tutorials. He has one in advanced unit commands that is super helpful.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Lizardmen are brutish savages who don't know the glory of silly hats. Why should high elves respect them?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Other than artillery, this is kinda the entire point of tarpits. The opponent will reshuffle their units to find good matchups if they can, but not if they are already engaged in melee. Lock their troops in combat with your trash melee units, and then do the flank.

The other possibility is hiding your units, either using terrain or using units with stalk. Or just straight up summoning units.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 16, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Counter-battery fire isn't really a thing in Warhammer. If they have superior artillery they can do a duel, sure, but a canny player can keep their more expensive units out of range while pounding the crap out of their elite units. If you try and do a calculation of whether the AI is doing better out of an artillery duel than the player, then that creates an exploitable mechanic where the player can dance units forwards and backwards to make the AI units confused about whether to commit to the attack or not, shooting them all the while. If you actually do a good job of making AI that hides its units effectively from artillery fire... that'll probably just piss players off.

Sending skirmishers out unsupported is suicide.

To a first approximation, especially with terrain bonuses relatively small, attacking when being shelled is the right decision.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 16, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Truecon420 posted:

Would anyone else like to see CA take a crack at Total war Warhammer 40k, maybe like 5 years from now with new tech? I'm not sure if the map would be 3d/2d or have planet battles or what not but just the idea seems really cool to me.

Yeah, that could be cool. Especially if they do it on the epic scale so you can bring Titans into the fray.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Didn't we get this exact argument about how boring and terrible the dork elves are before W2?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arsonide posted:

Did they add any more units to Beastmen after their original release? I remember a lot of hate about their small roster, but they are an interesting race to me. I tend to lean towards the less humanoid races - Skaven, Lizardmen, Beastmen, Orcs, etc.

They had harpies added.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

The only mod that I think is needed is the one that scraps the increased upkeep from each additional army.

Does that help the AI as well?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

What are you, a marriage counselor or something?

Sounds more like a divorce lawyer

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How are the turn times?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Started a dorf campaign and one of the first things I noticed was that Irondrakes seemed a lot more willing to fire into or near engaged friendlies than Warp Throwers :psydwarf::hf::negative:

Also the ME patch confirms that the Lord portraits dropped in quality for me between 1 and 2. It's not terrible, but I'd like to fix that at least outside of battle. Mannfred, for example, goes from looking like an undead monster to just someone that reads too much /pol.

That's accurate though

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

TheNakedFantastic posted:

The diplomacy AI is wonky and opaque. Last Tyrion HE game I played I was "trustworthy" the entire game, never declared war on HE, had trade agreements etc. I couldn't get the last couple of HE factions down to one or two cities to ally much less confederate. Well some of them did confederate, with Teclis (no pre existing relationship) who almost immediately lost the cities to DE and rogue armies.

CA strategic AI has never been good or logical.

Trustworthy is actually a pretty bad reliability rating. It goes Steadfast - Dependable - Trustworthy - Untrustworthy - Unreliable

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm not really sure if favorability factors into trade decisions. It's based on how many goods you have, isn't it?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Warm up the speculation generators

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/update-on-historical-releases

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Backseat devving, but I think the way to deal with settlement trading is to make it so that only tier 0, 1 (and maybe 2) settlements can be traded.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sinteres posted:

IMO they shouldn't have promised to have Mortal Empires out as fast as they did so people would have just had the fun experience of the Vortex campaign without worrying about another broken campaign at this point. Fixing Norsca would make the Vortex campaign more fun too, but it's not as critical there unless you're dark elves I guess.

Having the game out there probably gives them a lot of play testing information that they would not otherwise have though.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The delay in Norsca does not necessarily mean everything else is delayed by that much. It might be taking that long specifically because they aren't putting a lot of resources into it. Indeed, they likely aren't in any case, since stuff like the art assets are already made.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Hahaha this rules

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'm pretty sure my marauder dudes chant NORSCA as a battle cry.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Suggestion for fixing Black Arks - add in a defensive stance to them that increases their stats a lot. Probably a bit more balanced than just buffing them directly.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Imperium of Man is nazi as gently caress. Steel faith can be a reference to the source material *and* reflect the creator's sensibilities.

Mordja posted:

Collusion with the Catholic church aside, I don't think the Nazis were generally very big on mainstream religion...

Yes, but this doesn't mean they were down on the idea of faith.

quote:

Scholar of fascism, Stanley Payne notes that fundamental to fascism was the foundation of a purely materialistic "civic religion" that would "displace preceding structures of belief and relegate supernatural religion to a secondary role, or to none at all"

Note that there's a separation here between the original lore quote. "Faith, steel and gunpowder" puts the three as separate aspects of the Empire, there is no implication that the faith itself is steel (or gunpowdery). Sigmar after all is not the God of Steel.

Materialistic quasi-religion with an obsession with iron and steel, though? That's pretty (neo-)nazi.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 8, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

How evil are the Tomb Kings generally speaking in the lore?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

If you view the strategy layer as mostly a vehicle to provide fun, different, and meaningful (as in, losing has consequences) battles, you could easily say that limiting the player's ability to stack elites is a good thing. It might also provide avenues for further differentiating factions and LLs.

I dunno, I'm inclined to think the other way round. In the existing system you're encouraged to make a mix of stacks of elite units and low tier stacks. Having to make mixed stacks kinda means your armies are more samey.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Any tips for Darth McEdgelordElf? I'm planning on building tall in Naggarond and loving up Lothern.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I assumed he played as Arkhan, so all this stuff is just Fake News as far as he's concerned.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Just beat Dark Elf vortex campaign as Malekith.

Probably key was never confederating Morathi. Instead while I invaded Ulthuan she confederated all the other DEs and hosed up the lizard men. When I did the Ritual, the AI armies also inevitably spawned in her territory, which made them suffer attrition in the case of Skaven just marching their way to my territory.

Quick tips:

Don't level your non-core settlements to level 5, that keeps them from being picked as ritual sites. Try and not conquer too much of naggarond outside of your core. I took just Ghrond and the Altar of Ultimate Darkness.
On the turn you declare the vortex, put defensive armies into ambush stance outside your ritual cities. This makes the intervention armies actually siege the ritual cities (or sometimes walk into your ambushes) instead of raze your towns
Declare rituals at the start of the turn, this shows you where the chaos/skaven are spawning from and the path they are likely to take

My maxxed out Black Arks were really capable at supporting distant adventures in Ulthuan, they do require a lot of babying though.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 22, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Nice. There's a TK legendary lord comparison here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7C0arR310g

Some campaign details
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b80ZX2gGb64

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

Apparently this was incorrect, it's specifically when enemies are in that range it will be active, but nobody knew that it wasn't working correctly because nobody knew what it was supposed to actually do.

Maybe it's the hidden ranged accuracy stat?