Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Picked all this up during the Winter Sale. It's probably one of the best Total War games I've played.

Originally bought it for Lizardmen, but I've been having an unreasonable amount of fun with Norsca. Currently in a Mortal Empires campaign where Clan Moulder NAPed me very early, then wanted trade and military treaties and has just been following behind my armies and occupying all the razed ruins I'm leaving behind. They've gotten loving enormous, it's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Good Dark Elf tips, was thinking of doing a playthrough with them for some variety after Norsca.

At the moment I'm doing my best to wipe out the Empire and the Crone's faction (who hates me for some reason) while gearing up to tell Archaeon to go gently caress himself and fight me, coward. I know he pops up after I kill the last challenger and I plan to be the only Everchosen around here, thanks.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So I'm curious what the next DLC will be after we get a Skaven/Lizard lord pack. I see people speculating on Araby/Dogs of War?

Also is that MP discord still open?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Agreed. Help humans kill vamps because wow is their corruption annoying

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

This game generates some really cool scenarios sometimes. While I was busy dealing with Chaos, the Cult of Pleasure confederated every other Dark Elf faction and then launched a big gently caress-off invasion of Ulthuan. They had pretty much crushed all the outer kingdoms and were starting to establish a foothold in the inner kingdoms when the Dwarfs showed up. ALL OF THEM. As in, like 8-10 deathstacks barreling over everything. This allowed the elves to push out the last few Dark Elf stragglers, regain their lost territory and then stage a counter-invasion of their own, along with their Dwarven allies. At the time of this writing, there are maybe like 2-3 Dark Elf settlements left in the extreme north corner of the map with 3-4 Dwarf deathstacks camped nearby.

Edit: I should mention that the Dwarfs grabbed the Shrine of Khaine and a good chunk of Ulthuan's north coast so maybe calling them allies is a bit of a stretch...

What are allies for if not capturing your old territory and not giving it back? :v:

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I just had a norscan army walk right through Phoenix Gate into Avelorn what the fuuuuuck

Sorry that was me my bad, gotta clean out this elf infestation.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Tides Below. Skaven generally have 3 or so uses of it, increasing for the amount of Skaven Corruption in the area

And the amount of food they pump into it pre-battle I believe. I imagine the AI doesn't skimp.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

It's easier to burn Ulthuan to the ground as Norsca if we just make nice with all the vampires and Maliketh at least. Stomp around Kislev and Bretonnia for a bit and they'll happily follow you to Ulthuan. Or at least they did in my game. After I landed on their shores, my ally Maliketh came in with like, four or five armies and him and Kemmler just carved a path of ruin across the place while I made for the capital.

The wood elves are worse. So much worse.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

ZearothK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

[edit] Warriors of Chaos are better than they were at release, but they're still the faction with the least amount of stuff going for them. They have no unique mechanics other than the ability to Awaken Norscan Factions and their roster is pretty samey, though they do have the best line infantry in the game, and Dragon Ogres are cool.

I didn't have high hopes for Beastmen, but they're pretty fun and my favorite MP faction. They are a rush army, everything they have is high mobility (except for Cygors, who are still more mobile than most artillery) and while they suffer from being the first DLC faction and being a horde, they still offer a pretty unique guerrilla campaign as you do hit and run actions around the map as the vanguard for the Chaos Invasion.

I'll have to pick up Beastmen next sale. I don't have them or Wood Elves from WH1 (and I'll probably never buy Wood Elves. :v:)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Wulfrik is the true Everchosen

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Would there be any interest in a tournament around the time Festag releases out of beta? Specifically going with "tabletop-rules" wherein folks make their army lists before matchmaking. I just bought TWW2 pretty recently and would love to get some more multiplayer in, and I like the idea of that setup rather than the more meta-heavy counter-play setup of building your army to your opponent.

I'd be down, lose as I will

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

So are any of the older Total War games worth dusting off? Last time I truly played was Medieval 2. Then Empire came and it just didn't click and I dropped the series for a long time. Tried Rome 2 at launch and it was a mess and haven't touched it since.

I hear Rome 2 is actually good now but I wonder just what that means, exactly.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Ammanas posted:

it means its fun but simply can't compare to the majesty of warhammer :O

I believe it. Warhammer was always meant to be a Total War game and I'm kind of glad they waited as long as they did. I assume it would have been less fun if they had made it back in like, 2005 anyway.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

By "they" I means GW obviously. And it wasn't so much waiting as it was "Well we killed off this setting, bideo games can have it now"

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

She spends it on blow.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Goddamn, making Wulfrik the Everchosen is insane.

I went from bleeding nearly 20k gold a turn to making more than that even without raiding. Khemri won't last long.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Gay Horney posted:

What's gonna be my best bet as Throgg for early units to fight chariots? Surtha Ek showed up with ten chariots and a mammoth and butchered my starting army. It's turn 7 or so, so I just have access to marauders, spearmen, and javelins. IIRC javelins were really strong at least a few patches ago but it seems like they're not gonna be the best bet for fighting chariots. Do I want to spam spears or am I better off waiting for hounds?

Spears seem like the best bet; anti large which I believe chariots count as, and they get defense against charge. Javelins to back them up. Berzerkers never hurt.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Staltran posted:

Can't you turn taxes off as Norsca? That would be a -4 gone which should let you ride out the event, unless you'd then have to disband too much of your army to afford upkeep. But you probably have some provinces where you don't need to turn off taxes to avoid a rebellion, and you lose the income anyway if the settlement gets raded by rebels.

You can, and it helps. The key tho is to always be sacking and raiding and you can ride out any budget deficit. Current at the end of my Norsca campaign I was losing 20k with like seven or eight stacks a turn but had 500k in the bank. Cities give so much for sacking it'll keep you going forever.

Edit; after I kicked the Everchosen's rear end I went from -20k to +20k income. I cannot be stopped.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Folks were talking about good casted competitive MP matches a while back. Who are the best people to watch for that kind of stuff? I know Turin but I assume there are others.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mordja posted:

Anyone remember Impossible Species? That Relic RTS from the early 2000s? I'm secretly hoping it is Throt in the upcoming DLC and he's got a system where you mix and match monster parts to come up with horrible, janky abominations.

Oh man, Impossible Creatures was fun. I still play that piece of poo poo now and then.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Literally just Triarii from Rome 1. They don't even do anything other than shout "TRARII!" in a flat American accent.

The perfect unit, every year, all the years. :allears:

Hands down my favorite unit in Rome TW. So goddamn useful. They could take anything 1v1

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

WTF is a cost effective counter to blood knights for Norsca? I've tried all three flavors of skin wolves, the were kin hero, spearmen, Javs, I dunno what to do. Maybe great weapon Fimir?

Mammoths, probably.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I mean I dunno if mammoths are cost effective but I recommend one in every army as Norsca. They’re drat useful for sieges and dealing with otherwise tricky units Norsca has no answer to.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Finally got around to playing a Very Hard mortal empires campaign with Pestilins. It’s turn 110 and I’m still working to consolidate that bit of southern Lustris you start on. This is going to be a long rear end campaign.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Mustang posted:

Have fun with all of the chaos stacks that periodically spawn down there! I think they need to redo how they have those spawn in, they completely gently caress over any faction near them and there's nothing they can do about it since they're nowhere near where the main chaos faction spawns in at.

Yeeeeeep I’ve got a fleet sailing right to where the kraken dude spawns and I’m racing down to deal with it before they start razing poo poo. I just got finished beating back the Huntsman this poo poo is crazy.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Nash posted:

It’s strange not having fliers and huge monsters but I have been enjoying it.

Also Patroclus had it coming and Hector did nothing wrong.

This alone will make it hard to go back to a historical game. I want ratmen with machine guns and giant demons and dinosaurs.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Giant Horse Necrofex Colossus

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 16, 2020

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

lurksion posted:

Wrong thread
Ah gently caress you're right, whoops

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I did get a few CTDs running GCCM the past few months. Basically it’s still usable you’ll just want to quick save often and auto resolve if it crashes. I yanked it though since that’s annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

punishedkissinger posted:

has the overall quality of the maps improved much?

Being no map expert, they were definitely different and interesting. I dunno about improved. The crashes were very rare.