Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It will never not be funny to me that GW got so sick of writing fluff where the orks didn't know which one was Gork or Mork, that they just picked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hooman posted:

Does anyone have the details on what spells are in the new lores of magic?

(In the TT, which they tend to copy fairly directly)

Dark elf magic gets a combat buff, a targeted and short range aoe debuff, and a bunch of different damage spells including a magic missile, a black hole vortex, a single target nuke, and an aoe that actually summons ghost weapons that you roll to hit with (great against chaff, weak against elites)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Man rogue armies are no joke. I was exterminating some ruins near me, with my army built for early rat killing (i.e. no anti-large) when a stack spawns in the middle of my home province with some saurus warriors, two kroxigor units, three dragon ogre units, and a freakin shaggoth

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's funny how the autoresolve math went from heavily favoring mass numbers of troops to the complete opposite

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

V for Vegas posted:

I know they're rats but the Skaven are a bit too drab brown for me - especially next to the bright blues of the Lizardmen. Probably blasphemous but I would like a mod that brightens them up a bit, or at least gives them some more differentiation.

To be fair, lizardmen have always been one of the best looking armies in Warhammer

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

High elves are actually really fun to play mechanically. Spearman are a decent enough tarpit, but they're actually super fast and responsive, which means your battle line is flexible but still durable

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Team Aenarion: World Police

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

So the high elf ritual Vaul's something or other gives you a bunch of buffs to elite units, but it also gives you an ability you can use in siege battles. Infinite range, targets any wall section and it literally explodes, killing the poor units standing on top of it. Mosey on up to a lizardmen capital with my teclis early game stack of spears and archers, no time waiting to build seige weapons, just waltz right in the new door

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Eimi posted:

Is the Phoenix being bad only a thing on VH? On hard the fire one Tyrion gets has worked out great for me. The enemy archer AI is terrified of it, so just by flying over them they run away and stop shooting. The bombs can rack up decent hp damage the terror it causes is useful. I do agree that after that the best army is nothing but spearmen and archers, which is loving boring as hell. But it works and sadly money doesn't let you do anything else.

For teclis, the first like 5-6 turns are spent colonizing the ruins in your province, and as nice as having an early game phoenix is, it's basically a 4000 gold investment before you ever start seeing any action, which is a ton of money that early

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Teclis will probably have a harder start when those conspicuously empty desert ruins in the south become the new Tomb Kings starting location for Khalida (or whoever the other LL is)

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

All I've used influence for as Teclis is recruiting lords and uniting a grand military alliance of elves, men, dwarves, lizards, and even a rogue army, all against the ratmen that own half the continent

pro teclis start tip: use your first hero to immediately sail to Ulthuan for those sweet sweet trade agreements

Scrub-Niggurath fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 1, 2017

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the key as Teclis is to build tall and aggressively use diplomacy to keep pestilens down, because they will conquer the continent if you let them

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Kroxigors buffed by a priest are disgusting.

Yeah harmonic convergence on any of the lizardmen monsters turns them into death machines

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Did they ever come out with regiments of renown for the beastmen?

Yeah, they're pretty cool, the RoR cygor has a bound net spell

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

is anyone else bothered that the new app store icon is just the skaven logo upside down?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I love how the new world colonists solely exist to be a pet nation for Mazdamundi to look after

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Kroq'gar and his army of 18 red line buffed gold chevron 11g upkeep saurus warriors and a skink priest are hilarious to watch in sieges. Just a massive tide of blue reptiles swarming over the walls and through the gates that the carnosaur/stegadon break down

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Skaven are actually excellent at defending sieges, just put your slaves in front of the walls to tie the enemy army up in front of your towers

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Also for naval units, what if you made it a hero but kept it from going on land somehow? Ports could be used to recruit them, and they'd have outrageously high stats to tilt the autoresolve when you embed them with a sailing lord's army

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

nothing feels worse than doing a treasure hunt and nothing happens is the rewards

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

3 should absolutely lean heavily into Cathay/Nippon/Ind and basically be total war fantasy shogun

I actually want an End Times campaign for the third game too. A lot of the new units were awesome, supercharged LLs from the first games would be neat, and most importantly, in a Total War Warhammer: End Times campaign, chaos can actually lose

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

also remember that skink priests get an ancient (or vanilla) stegodon for free once they hit level 15

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It's a shame norsca won't be added for a little while, javelin spam would probably destroy Jurassic park stacks

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

CA should introduce naval battles but only if they bring in all the ridiculous poo poo from Dreadfleet like

A frankensteined sea monster corpse filled with skaven and guns

A dwarf ironclad aircraft carrier

An Arabian djinni-propelled ship

A zombie boat made up of shipwrecked boats gathered around a small mountain with a castle on it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

420 Gank Mid posted:

Even better, if you get a skink heavens priest and cast harmonic convergence on them they will do to elite Elf infantry what they do to skavenslaves

Harmonic Convergence on any early game feral dinosaur turns it into an absolute death machine

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I think I have to grab a mod to fight individual units against each other without bringing in a Lord for each side though. Weird that it's a requirement.

That's kind of how it was in the tabletop, the Lord mechanic was pretty important to the balance of certain factions, so every army had to have one.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It seems to me like Kroq is always going to have an OP start; saurus warriors are supposed to be the good guys equivalent of chaos warriors: hulking tough as nails infantry offset by being more expensive than all the other armies' equivalents. With kroq's upkeep bonus you can basically roll with a deathstack of elite t1 infantry from the get go

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

[quote="“Deranged M”" post="“477209587”"]
This has been probably asked before but I can’t seem to find it . I haven’t played the first total war warhammer so if I wanna dive into the franchise , can I just start with 2 or is there a reason to play 1st one too ?
[/quote]

I would honestly play the first one, the core gameplay is the same and it has all the benefits of a full year of updates + workshop support. Right now TW:W2 is an expansion pack with the real meat of the game (the combined campaign) to be added in a month or so

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite thing about my Kroq campaign has been my dwarf BFFs. On my way up to conquer the undead kingdoms, I swung through the mountains and razed out the savage orcs for my dwarf buds to reclaim. I also used war targets to get them to settle in the uninhabitable (for lizards) top knots territory, as well as the mountain settlements next to Araby. They've stuck by me when declared an assimilation war on my lizard neighbors, bretonnians, high elves, they don't give a poo poo. I just tell them where to go and they send stacks of longbeards and grudge throwers to deal with it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

By the way, I know a couple people had concerns about Lord Kroak being the next Legendary Lord since we already have a Slann LL, but don't worry, the way he works on the tabletop is totally unique. He's a max level wizard with the absolute lowest combat stats possible who knows only one spell with three levels, which does strong damage to every enemy unit in a small/medium/large radius around him. He's a literal death sphere that you protect with temple guard, which he makes unbreakable in the army. Too expensive to see serious play, but still a fun unique general

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

[quote="“Ammanas”" post="“477226291”"]
Sounds like two units of darkshards would wreck his day. Dunno if that implementation would be fun.
[/quote]

He had a big 3+ ward save and an item that reduced the accuracy of everyone trying to hit him, but yes archer spam was a good way to deal with him

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Third World Reggin posted:

I am excited to see lizardmen units enrage on zombies

My favorite battle I've seen was when a rogue army spawned next to my capital in my kroq campaign. Unfortunately I had no armies close, since everyone else was off fighting in Operation Khemri Freedom. So I used the primal might ritual to spawn an army of feral dinos. What rogue army did they face? The Wandering Dead, a stack of two or three necromancers, and nothing but zombies and skeleton warriors. Against 4 carnosaurs, 3 stegadons, 3 bastilodons, and cold ones. It was hilarious

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Skavenblight is owned by Clan Skyre right?

It's Skyre's base of operations, but Moulder also has a huge presence there

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rookersh posted:

Southlands is going to just be Kroq Gar until they add Tomb Kings. At which point it's just going to be KG locked away in the south while the Tomb Kings own the north? The Kroq Gar campaign sounds awful going forward.

Teclis' start is getting moved the islands off the east coast of the Southlands, and they're adding Lahmia, undead kingdoms to the northeast of Kroq's starting position along the coast

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Siets posted:

How much do you value temple guards for their armor? I'm unsure how to evaluate armor and armor penetration in this game as I frankly do not really understand how it works within the games mechanics.

Armored units are really good against infantry without armor piercing (swords, clubs, archers [not crossbows], spears [which are anti-large, so armored cavalry still should watch out]). It makes them much more survivable in combat, and is generally worth valuing.

Armor piercing infantry are excellent against elite troops/large units, but usually less efficient for the points against chaff. Take Greatswords for example. They're both armored and armored piercing, and will be able to mulch their way through tougher troops like stormvermin or temple guard, but may lose to an equivalent points cost of clanrats simply by being overwhelmed with numbers

Artillery and monsters are also usually armor piercing, but they also do so much damage that they're still effective against all infantry

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Treasure hunts should be only available in some ruins instead of every single one, and the reward should be outrageous, like 20k gold. The risks should stay the same

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Are temple guard the only infantry that use halberds with shields?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Rincewinds posted:

Bit bummed if they removed so much of the southern regions, cutting the western parts of Lustria and Not Canada does not really affect things, but the Southlands could been an interesting arena.

The southlands isn’t really getting cut though? In fact its getting more stuff added on its eastern coast

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Radious is good if you want every single variation of infantry and cavalry available for every faction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I liked that when SFO added new units it was usually just a unit variation that probably should’ve already been in the game like black orcs with sword + shield, or night goblins with spears. Then they started adding in stuff like unmounted blood dragons and it started to sour on me.