Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
drat I missed all the fun. Imagine thinking Alien is comparable to Games Workshop dime store fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

queef anxiety posted:

imagine nuking 20+ years of lore, setting and player involvement so you could license the term 'ogors and aelves'

Don't forget Steampunk Duaredin.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Rabelais D posted:

Those nurgle models are good, so many of them seem to revolve around disgusting things you can put inside a ripped open pot belly. I cannot imagine actually owning something like that and having friends round though.

papa nurgle will be your only friend

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
You're not wrong about anything, but the fantasy setting makes the corny battles a little more fun and enjoyable, though nothing is really epic when you have to fight 3-5 epic battles per turn by late game. Empire was really the low point of CA, I think, and maybe their absolute laziest. It really helps if you like warhams, though.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Doomykins posted:

The Dark Elf army is really cute, especially hydras. I hope that helps this horny man.

Can you quote the original post of these or something? I love them but I don't remember where in the thread to find them or who made them!

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

orangelex44 posted:

If you have forum search, type in "threadid:3835548 username:Amuys" (no quotes).

There's a couple others as well.

Ohh thank you. I forgot to bookmark them long ago. They're great :kimchi:

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Flavahbeast posted:

Settra ritualistically murdered his own children and Khemri was eventually destroyed and turned into a wasteland by a member of his anti-aging science team which he founded in a failed attempt to not die, hes bad

how do either of those but especially the second one make settra bad lol

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
settra unironically is good

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Sydin posted:

I've long since understood that this is just a thing that I do not have in common with the average TW player going as far back as Rome, but seriously:

Why? Battles already last a loving eternity in this game, and units constantly break -> run -> reform -> break upwards of a half dozen times before finally loving off. Why the hell do people want battles to be even more tedious cleanup after it was obviously clear 10 minutes ago you won the battle?

I really don't enjoy taking the time to fight a battle only for the actual fighting to last less than 5 minutes.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish arkhan was a bit stronger. i kind of regret putting him on his chariot, and i wish he had lore of vampires instead of lore of death. lore of death just seems kinda weaker.

Same. Settra is way better on his chariot (all of his mounts actually), and lore of death doesn't seem to have the same feel as Nehekara or any really good magic. Maybe it's just because the early game is either spam casting the lord kill spell or spamming the leadership debuff to rout thousands of peasants.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
its very 40k

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
why is a gif of knights crushing basic archers without skirmish mode on a dunk

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

yikes! posted:

How does skirmish mode save the archers there?

nothing does but it wouldnt be the cool gif of 100 dudes getting launched through the air if they were running away when the cav caught up to them.. Shock cav does suck in the game with dragons and trolls and giant dinosaurs, the poster was correct.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
farsqueaker i think.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
There was a book about the Chaos Wastes. It talked about all the Marauder civilizations and Daemons that was written entirely from an in-universe perspective and the last few sections had lots of tidbits about Chaos Space Marines sometimes finding their way into the Fantasy world. I don't think it contained any rules or anything for the tabletop but it would have been a great dlc to have Chaos Lords replaced by CSMs.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the guy who said the course of history shows ranged warfare is more efficient needs to go back and his history books. I'm 100% positive that the Imperium of Man's development of assault terminators and venerable dreadnoughts debunks his theory completely and that's 30,000 years from now.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Chaos Dwarves would be easy. They can follow the templates of high/dark elves having lots of symmetrical units and greenskins having chaff goblin units and higher tier tanky/fighty orcs with smaller sizes and more cost and not even have to be creative.

And kislev can be all bears.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I was under the (mistaken?) belief that it was really old and not as fleshed out as the cool+good races

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I sure hope both factions start positions will get addressed. They already fixed the Greenskins with Grom's DLC/patch/greenskin overhaul and partially Empire by moving Gelt south to Solland in, I think, the Markus Wulfhart patch; now Empire just needs a new start position for our lord and saviour Volkmar. If they change Isabella to a Legendary Hero, add a new LL in her place somewhere else, and give Ghorst his own start pos delete Ghorst I would be super excited. For Dawi they should let Grombrindal start in any starting Dawi hold anywhere on the map.

kraka drak PLEASE

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Randarkman posted:

We'll see. I think they're going to try, which would mean having to change a bunch of stuff and introduce many new mechanics. I don't really care that much for it, and I have next to no interest in age of sigmar for a game. I still think they're probably going to want to try to bring 40k into the mix.

Also worth noting that 40k has never looked much like modern warfare or anything that iterates on it. There's armor penetration tables and cover saves, that's it.

e: A Warhammer 40k RTS that kind of plays like CoH with additions and adaptations for Warhammer 40k would be something I'd be down for, I'm not really sure a 40k Total War would be like that though unfortunately. It will always be a great disappointment to me that Dawn of War 2 and especially Dawn of War 3 (but we don't talk about that) hardly implemented or adapted anything that Relic introduced in Company of Heroes 1/2.

dawn of war 2 was literally 40k company of heroes though. dow2 but massively scaled up would be a great basis for a total war game but I don't know how CA would actually handle it.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
please stop posting pictures of hideous dolls

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
i'm a great unclean one

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
30 years war period would be cool for total war...pike and shot warfare mechanically? I'm not sure how they'd make it work but hey I'm down for conquering the world as sweden

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
dismounted cavalry in sieges and/or unmounted monstrous cavalry in sieges.

the knights hold the walls and their demigryphs hold the gate

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Rome 1 had that if you didn't disable the large armies limit in an INI file. Enemy and allied reinforcements would always be "delayed" so the battle engine didn't die, and then if the battle was going super well and you were wrecking the enemy or if you were getting pushed back, then the reinforcements would arrive in the nick of time to do a big drat heroes rescue. It helped the game not choke to death burning out your RAM and it was a pretty fun cinematic way to drag out fights.

Asymmetric deployments and march situations, or army detachments arriving in pieces to the battlefield, really anything other than the current set-piece battles that just turn into two massive blobs fighting each other would be cool. But all of that would probably need the campaign map to be redone. I honestly think leaving the turn based system altogether would be an amazing change.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Gonkish posted:

Diplomacy is one of the weakest points of the Warhammer series. Gotta love having massively friendly relations with a faction only for them to steadfastly refuse to give you a trade deal no matter what.

It's one of the things I hope that they'll fix in the third game. Something closer to 3K's diplomacy would be ideal (that was one of the things I appreciated the most from that game).

At least since Rome 2, getting a trade agreement is like pulling teeth and it's not fun.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

Medieval 2 also had the armor + weapon improvement mechanic where low tier units made in a large city could compete relatively well with higher tier units if you were willing to invest in the infrastructure.

I really just want the Med 2 visual upgrades of troops to return. I miss my city spear militia starting out as a group of guys in peasant garb with lovely spears and by the time the city is doing really well you have a fully plated, halberd wielding militia that can hold gates pretty well as long as the leaders stay alive.

I love the visual upgrade too but it was a bit silly that +4 armor or whatever meant going from wearing a hat to wearing half plate

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
I was talsyn and after declaring war on Scourge of Khaine (still alive on turn 50 somehow) they were at war with yvresse and eataine and somehow still were able to get both of them to declare war on me.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

amazing how everyone thinks just because you have a big animal means you can ride it like it's a cat no cat is going to allow that poo poo

buy the tomb king dlc. report back after you get settra to level 18. checkmate lib.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

There’s a lot going on with the “ugliest word in the English language” in the warhammer IP between Naggaroth, Zharr-Naggrund, etc.

lmao

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
the campaign maps are so bad and boring they really need to bring back the procgen maps. Fighting on the same 3 maps is so horrible

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

Kanos posted:

There is an ENORMOUS amount of old fluff that talks up how a single squad of marines can conquer a planet and kill armies in 40k.

Also 10,000 marines per legion at 20 legions(before they purged two of them from the rolls entirely, lol) gives you 200,000 marines across a galactic scale, and the Horus Heresy books frequently have them deploying thousands at once in singular locations, which would seriously inhibit the ability to spread them out. The answer is mostly "at one point in the past we went with the first round number that popped into our head that also made them seem rare and elite and didn't think about how loving stupid it was that even at the height of its military power we spread a couple hundred thousand guys across the entire galaxy". Even if they're only ever deployed as elite commando units attached to larger formations(which isn't the case, they deploy alone a lot in the fluff), there's simply not enough of them to ever be present in 99.9% of the space they're meant to cover.

Dovetailing back into Fantasy, the answer to the Empire's weirdly tiny population is simply that frequently fantasy/sci-fi writers simply have absolutely no idea how population dynamics work, especially in pre-modern societies where manual labor is dramatically more important, and are usually prone to undershooting rather than overshooting.

the legions were supposed to be like 100k+, he gave a wrong number, but it still means that a very generous guess gives you 3 million marines at the peak. It's cool though if you pretend they're demigods.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
spacce marines are like ken dolls down there

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
archaons motivation is about as deep as thanos thats why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Didn't thq implode and nearly take relic with it?