Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pyrrhic, you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm playing ME as Kroq'gar and spent about 20 turns chasing one of Queek's armies around the Badlands before he finally left it too close to my Rite of Primeval Glory army and his rats got eaten.
Pretty tedious chasing it around, what with the attrition penalty and his use of Underway.
But I squashed him quite badly and razed a couple of settlements before making Peace and moving on to Clan Volkn.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Eschatos posted:

Malazan Book of the Fallen please.

Moranth Quorl Riders dropping cussers on Tiste Liosan legions all day every day please

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Sitting in Skavenblight, haven't expanded, and Ostergard declares war on me.
:ohdear:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

*Ambush Failed!*

poo poo

*Do you want to fight the Fey Enchantress?*

Hell yeah!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The only mod I could actually do bothered doing for M2TW was basically the same as the one I did for RTW - that each tier of unit-producing building gave a single additional chevron to prior-tier units.
It meant that once you'd got to the Level 6 Barracks (or whatever), there would still be a point of recruiting tier 3-4 units.

Of course, I only ever completed about 2 campaigns in total for those games (Germania, yeah!) so it's not like my time investment was even worthwhile

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Playing as Tictactoe, I claimed everything immediately around me except for Longbeard's Prospectors' stuff, since we had a Non-Aggression Pact and Trade Agreement.
Also, they were listed as Defensive and Reliable.

So I was somewhat confused to see them agree to an Orc faction's request that they declare war on me..

4 turns later and what was previously their territory is now just a red smear made up of the corpses of stupid midgets.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just took Khemri from, uh, Khemri in a defensive battle.
My two stacks took on 3 and a half of theirs.

I ended up semi-corner camping, just because it was the only way to have some control over the battlefield. Still, Skink Cohorts aren't great at holding a line.
Kind of a tricky fight with minimal magic and with enough chaff to make sniping their Lords/Heroes hard.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Anyone have any advice for TikTaqT'o or however you spell his name? I'm finally getting around to giving him a shot. These flying units seem wonky but it seems he buffs 'em up pretty decent?

I also found that, with some careful spending, you can save up enough to get a Rite of Primeval Glory army quite early on.
With that, you can demolish any army in the region, and you'll have an enjoyably frantic time of rushing from city to city so that you can Sack + Capture to stay afloat long enough to be able to afford the army long-term.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Substandard posted:

I've loaded this up and flailed around for a couple of first few hour campaign starts and then lost momentum and forgotten everything and restarted again 3 months later several times.

I'm getting ready to make another run at it but thought I'd ask for some advice on a good starter faction / lord.

If I have never played any Total War game before and don't know what I'm doing at all, what's the best dude to start off that's not too terribly hard? Because I'm good with money, I have most of the DLC for both games that I've played for a total of about 6 hours, so I think almost anything is an option.

Kroq'gar on Mortal Empires is a safe start, if potentially a little dull. Lizardmen have strong melee units anyway, and the factions you'll be warring with early on (Vampires and Tomb Kings) have very little that can make a dent in Saurus Warriors. Even the Skaven nearby will probably suck if you come up against them early enough.
The main issue is money, but you should have enough to get a few troops to add to the decent stack that Kroq'gar starts with.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
You can completely cheese the early campaign as Tiktaq'to by getting a Rite of Primeval Glory army and taking literally all the territory south of the Badlands.
Most of the settlements are close enough to each other that you shouldn't ever be more than 3 turns away from the next place to Sack, then capture.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
As Kroq'gar, my main avenue for expansion is through Arachnos, but they've got 2 large stacks and a Waaagh sitting outside one of their settlements, not moving, just raiding their own territory to keep their Fightiness up.

Those are some lame greenskins

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Leaving my armies squatting in the area after I've wiped out the Vampire Counts is tedious. drat you, vampiric corruption!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Half an hour later and the installation still isn't finished. Tedious as hell.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just took The Frozen City by sending Nakai to an unguarded gate and then sending him straight to the plaza.
The AI brought its units back to defend, but not on to the plaza, so I stood in a spot his archers couldn't reach and waited for the countdown.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Do you get it back if you reconquer them?

Calm down Boris

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm happily smearing Dark Elves across the tundra as Nakai.
In my first campaign, I went to Norsca, but it just got tedious trying to manage my forces against the multiple stacks the AI can throw up.

Turns out, though, that Dark Elves make for an easier time of things. Plus, some of those settlements are close enough together that you can trash one place, Encamp afterwards, and then trash another the next turn. And once you've got your Casualty Replenishment up, you turn into a bit of a train.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The Empire have assimilated something like 5 other factions in the last 15 turns, in my current game.
My poor Kholek has been having trouble finding somewhere safe to Encamp to recruit Shaggoths, without 4-5 Empire stacks bumrushing him (and seriously, rivers that can't be crossed aren't a barrier to these cheating fuckfaces joining in battles).

I just took out 2 stacks that ambushed me, so hopefully that'll be a couple of turns of grace.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My Gelt is at war with Middenland, and despite them being under attack from a Chaos faction that's just landed 4 stacks on their shores, and my having smashed 3 full stacks of theirs before that even happened, taking them from Strength Rank 2X to 8X... they're still not interested in a Peace Treaty.

:ughh:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
We had tracked the stubborn Greenskins down to their last region, as they cowered in a minor settlement wedged between the Undead and Rat Filth.
Grombrindal attacked the settlement on the first turn we reached it and easily beat the defending force. In doing so, he got one of the two wins over Greenskins he needed for a quest. We backed off so he could finish them off next turn.

Whereupon there was a rebellion, the Court of Lybaras was resurrected, attacked the settlement, won and wiped out the Greenskins in this part of the map.

The utter fucks.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Finally finished my first Long Campaign, as Grombrindal.
Tricky at the start, particularly getting to grips with the Greenskins, who went confederation-happy quite early on, and therefore had a lot of chaff to whittle down. But once they were dealt with, I was so big that it was just a matter of time. The number of non-siege battles I manually resolved in the last 70 turns is probably in single digits.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Wake me up when the Beautiful Repanse mod is released, so I can play the game with her wearing the chainmail bikini that some sweaty nerd's fantasiesthe lore dictates she use at all times. With lipstick.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Trying another Nakai campaign, and this time I've decided to go straight up to Aghol and then Go West through DElf land.

It's going okay so far, although I got stuck trying to clear out the last Dreadnoun Adjective settlement for a while before my Saurus Old-Blood levelled up enough to start whittling their garrison down.
Now I just have to decide who to deal with Har Ganeth.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OoohU posted:

What's the general under-empire strategy/build? For someone whose only recently started playing WH2 and doing my first skaven game ever with ikit claw.

Put your first one under a province capital; preferably one that makes a decent amount of money, absolutely one that you don't share any borders with.
You want to aim to get every Under Empire being one that's isolated from every other one you have. The buildings that allow the Under Empire to passively spread will fill in the gaps, given time. Putting it under a city that makes a lot of money just helps make it worth your while.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I finally got around to using a Vermintide to take a city.
Tilea had Sartosa and I thought it'd be a pain to grab normally.

They actually discovered the Undercity a few turns previously, but didn't do anything about it. They also didn't build a Garrison building, so when my gang of Stormvermin showed up, it was a pretty straight-forward fight.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I decided that starting in Aghol territory as Kholek would be nice.
It's certainly an easy way to level up and, therefore, get a Dragon Ogre Shaggoth stack going ASAP.
The downside is that literally everyone runs away when they see the big bastard coming, so getting enough field battles to unlock Archaeon is a pain in the thunder-dick.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been trying a Beastman campaign with the 'stack -Leadership debuffs' gimmick and I just ran into my first Bretonnia army.

lol

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Double Bill posted:

beastman_life.jpg

Autoresolve is just confused by Beastmen, I'd constantly get 50/50 strength on fights where I lose <100 units fighting manually. A full gold-chevron T4-T5 stack with lvl 40 lord & gorebull against a lovely stack + garrison? "Looks even to me!" -Autoresolve, wearing a jester hat

The ME victory conditions (kill Empire & Bretonnia) get pretty ridiculous when all the "bad guys" on the continent get killed off early on (VC, Greenskins, Norsca). Even the Chaos invasion wasn't much help, it just ran into a wall of Dwarf and died without doing anything.

Whereas I haven't had to fight a battle manually for about a hundred turns now.
Shadowgore Warherd have managed to tickle Reikland a bit - razing a couple of settlements and cleaning up a few armies - but I doubt they'll last very long.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Fangz posted:

That sounds like a super cool mod, what's it called?

Allied Auxiliaries

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kanos posted:

generate political influence by having your noble blow raspberries at a random enemy town.

I just assumed that "Influence" is whatever the Warhammer equivalent of 'photos of you getting your dick sucked' is.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Sober up, Warhammer 2: Total War; you're drunk if you think that was a Close Victory

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My ME campaign as Mannfred is turning into a slog.
I think I expanded too slowly and by the time I was ready to move on from Sylvania + Stirland, pretty much everyone around me was in a Military Alliance with at least one other faction around me. And basically none of them were at war with anyone else.
The Golden Order declared war on me, so Zhufbar did so too. I lost The Moot but gained Zhufbar and Oakenhammer. I also took out Karak Kadrin once they were down to their capital.

After that, it was another 100 turns or so before I managed to take another settlement, once Blue Vipers grabbed a couple from Reikland and I took them off their hands.

I'm just very aware that I can't deal with Reikland, or Karaz-a-Karak+Ostland, so I'm sat in my provinces waiting for rebellions and hoping they don't hit the Dwarves, because the AI loves squashing those like bugs.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Twigand Berries posted:

I haven’t used it too much, someone did mention bringing Wulfrik to Skeggi was good times. I successfully moved Maleghor to a better start, just had to disband the other horde to do it.

Move any of the Chaos Warriors factions to Aghol territory and pretend they took a wrong turn while bumbling around the Chaos Wastes

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I found the Warp Grinders useful only until I could get the Mortars, but the Grinders do amazing things if you use 'em right.

If you could get some Grinders near a breach during a Siege Defence, or at a chokepoint, they could probably rack up hundreds of kills.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Another attempt to get something achieved as Kholek, starting up in Aghol territory.
We've wiped out most of the DElves without too much trouble.

Just had a pretty worrisome fight against Exiles of Nehek, who brought 2 stacks against my backup stack of a poo poo mage, a good mage, 2 Exalted Warriors, a bunch of Aspiring Champions and a couple of Doomcannons.
I got a Pyrrhic Victory, but didn't lose any of the units (came really close, mind you). It was also the fight that finally unlocked Archaeon.

It's mostly not that hard, but with the occasional skull-crushing moment.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cocomonk3 posted:

Plus I can't even unlock Archaon since I've had maybe 3 battles this game which aren't sieges or settlement fights.

In my Kholek game, I pretty much had to declare war on anyone who finished a turn close enough that I could attack them. And even then it took about 150 turns to get enough field battles for the unlock.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The talk of siege battles being poo poo reminded me of this:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

As Azhag I used my Waaagh on him and strangled him in the crib, but now I'm dealing with serious Public Order issues due to Manny. He' strength rating five and he is allied to Vlad who is strength rating ten so killing him would be really tough. This Azhag campaign has not been as easy as others have advertised. It hurts that its turn 40 and I have .... one recruitment building in my four province empire so I dont have any good troops outside of a few RoRs I could pick up.

I took out Ungrim comfortably enough, but my Waaargh for Karaz-A-Karak was hindered by the fact that Grimgor had a Waaaaaargh for it as well, so I had to declare waaaar on him so that he couldn't capture the stunties city and now I've got two very battered armies at Karaz-a-Karak hoping that Grimgor himself turns up before my Waaaaaaaaargh armies disappear, so I can beat him in a fight and confederate because he's got 5-6 full stacks with 6-7 Black Orcs (6 chevrons) in each army and I'm totally loving doomed send help

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Uh, Nakai, I think some of your troops are lost...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
New campaign as Wurrzag and this seems a lot easier than Azhag was.
Barak Varr is gone, Karaz-a-Karak has been taken while Thorgrim has fled north into the other mountains. I also got Karak Eight-Peaks via Confederation after Clan Ungrim almost wiped Crooked Moon Mutineers out.
Grimgor's gone East and wiped out Clan Eshin, but has left a lot of 'empty' territory behind him (I think Clan Mors has most of that).

I'm going to get utterly stomped in about 10 turns, but I can't immediately see where that's going to come from so I can at least pretend for now that it's going well.