Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I swear my Depth Guard fold like a cheap suit every time. Am I missing something with these guys?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks guys, tried them as flankers to kill some artillery and they at least managed to kill some swordsmen that intercepted them.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Queen Bess with a Gunnery Wight to provide reloads is pretty hilarious in seiges, too.

An another note, does anyone know the details of how charging works? Do you have to click the specific unit you want charged to get the bonus or is it enough to order your line through the enemy's line and let them contact? I've had this game for over a year and have wondering about that the whole time.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I usually start by letting them pick their targets but if I see a monster or ranged unit that needs to be focused down I'll designate. I find I end up designating for artillery a lot because I don't think it's picking the right targets. Bess in particular seems to want to try counterbattery fire a lot when I would rather it just blow up units.

e: \/ Did see a mortar nail a manticore once; still, probably not ideal.

smug jeebus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jul 16, 2019

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I beat my first campaign on Legendary!
with Count "Easy Mode" Noctilus :yarr:

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Decrepus posted:

I jumped in to WH 2 with vamp coast and they are great.

Count Noctillus starts in the Maelstrom which no AI faction will ever bother attacking. You basically cannot lose the game.

On Legenderary at least, the three green 'Sea Shanty' pirates will attack The Maelstrom if it's undefended but otherwise, yes, it's basically unloseable.

Also QB is kind of a mixed bag, if the enemy has flankers you'll work your rear end off defending it. But I guess it gives you something to do because the dozen Necrofex Collosi need like zero microing.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Have you tried Cylostra yet? Surprise ghost knights support gunlines nicely.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Personally, I would be amazed that they aren't working on Warhammer 40k type programming right now... Things like the map has cover and your squad of Marines would hug it and shoot out. Can change them from doing cover fire to aimed shots for tactics and jump packs for hand to hand obliteration.

Only if I have the option to summarily execute the cowards for using cover afterwards

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Ristolaz posted:

Quote this post if you always have exactly one hero of every type in every army

I'm doing this with Ungrim Ironfist right now

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

- the triple general system is really cool and would be good in wh3

What's this? All the other stuff sounds really cool too

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That bit of the game is one of the ways where the 3K version of cavalry really shines. When charging lance cav touch a militia mob that’s on the run, the militia just goes away. No more full minutes in 3x speed watching your blood knights shake their fists at some retreating goblins.

I watched Ikit Claw on a doomflayer just push a shattered empire general for a quarter of the map without doing any damage until he disappeared off the edge. It was pretty funny honestly, but yeah, it would be nice to see War3 handle it like 3K.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Re: foot lords; If Kroq-gar can ride a dinosaur I really don't see why Grimgor/Vlad can't ride a horse/boar

edit: Also this is the first time I ever pre-ordered software. wheee

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Dartonus posted:

Did you outlevel the faction leader? Iirc lords who are higher level than the faction leader have a percent chance each turn to lose loyalty, and I think this also blocks them from gaining any either.

It's this. Happened in my Morathi campaign and had to bench my best Lord for a dozen turns until Mom caught up.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I remember people talking about a mod that gives you line of sight over entire regions instead of just a circle around the city. Does anyone know what it was called? My searching isn't finding anything updated this year.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

One I've been using is https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1876896271

Updated fairly recently and seems to have not given me any problems yet.

Excellent, thank you!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Really enjoying the massive reliability penalty for signing a peace treaty too quickly, gg CA

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Spending the last dozen or so Wood Elf turns just praying that the quadruple alliance between you, Brettonia, the Empire, and the Dwarfs holds until that drat tree finishes was my tensest campaign yet

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Kraka Drak v. Hell Pit Dlc would be pretty cool

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
About time

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
They could get murder bonuses like Alith Anar gets

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Every continent a thunderdome

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

KoldPT posted:

I finally bought the Wood Elf DLC. Should I grab some Amber mods? If so, which?

No you should contact Steam and see if it's not too late to return it

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
gently caress if I know. In all seriousness, I would look for a mod that removes the Amber requirement for your cities first. That would remove a lot of the aggravation from building and confederating.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Right on. It's a loving sandbox. Don't intentionally paint yourself into a corner worrying about stupid poo poo like continuity.

This really is true, arguably the best action movie ever made was by a guy who just gave no fucks about continuity

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm really excited for both Repanse and Snikch, less so for Malus

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Any solid "if you're a beginner, watch/read this" resources that you guys always send to? I spent a few hours of the first Warhammer, but never quite got the gist of how to correctly allocate and balance resources in the city building and expanding part of the game. My approach always felt all over the place. Playing skaven.

I don't have any great video recommendations, but I played WH1 for an hour, uninstalled and came back to it later twice before it finally clicked with me, so it's not just you, it isn't the easiest game to figure out.

Oh and then I still played it for a year without figuring out how overcasting works.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
In the end it's just a game and I'll be fine with whatever they do but the idea of chaos demons having a consistent order of battle or even leadership day to day seems odd to me.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Well assuming they have to deal with public order at all

I mean if Khemri has to deal with public order...

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah but Beastmen and Chaos warriors dont and I see Daemons as closer to a horde faction than a settled one

Oh right, I forgot that they'll be a horde faction

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Anno posted:

Oh nice, the main factions of some (all?) races are having their names changed around to make more sense. So Reikland instead of the Empire, probably Lothern instead of High Elves etc.

I've wanted this for so long

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Hey now, Archaon's helmet looks pretty cool

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Agent355 posted:

I 100% endorse warp grinders as an excellent anti siege tool. I use them as the bookends on my ranged armies. They're cheap to replace and with their aoe/snare they can hold enemies down for long enough for the gunners to shoot them down but their real value is murdering all the walls and towers, it makes it much easier to take down walled settlements. If I don't bring them along it's a real hard ask to take the place when 75% of my army uses firearms, and is completely useless.

How do you do this? I order the warp-grinders to attack a tower and they just stand in front of it.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks, giving it another go

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Why did you marry someone who doesn't play Total War?

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It takes Manfred 17 turns to force march from Sylvania to Nagashizzar, in case any one was wondering.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

How many new war declarations did you get along the way?

Only Karak Hirn, and Templehof decided they wanted a treaty. A lot of angry red faces nearby though.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

boy this sure is a lot easier, thanks!

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Has anyone had a problem with not getting Eshin clan contracts? Several times the screen has read "Next council contract in o turns' but then next turn it just resets to 2. I'm 34 turns in and have gotten I think four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

tgacon posted:

Did you ever figure out which mod was doing this? I'm getting the same thing and I'm hoping you can save me an hour and a half of mod whack-a-mole.

Still never giving up the MOD LYFE

The only mod I'm using presently is one that gives me full sight over controlled regions. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding that counter because sometimes I go several turns w/o one and sometimes I get them back to back. It seems very random.