Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've got about 150 hours in the first game, so I thought I would do pretty well with a Mortal Empire campaign playing as the Last Defenders. Tried 2 playthroughs so far and I can't seem to get passed turn 80. Had all of the following happen:

-Pushing the initial Skaven army back but not finishing them was a massive mistake on playthrough 1. Turns out the rats multiply and by turn 60 I was facing x3 20 stack armies without lightning strike
-Tomb kings are a joke and get rolled over by the Dark Elves. But the Dark Elves don't like me either??? Malus has some BS where he recovers 100% health and leadership instantly? What sorcery is this?
-Orks somehow took all of the outposts to the west and kept sending 20 stack armies while I was trying to deal with Malus. They don't respond to my commands to make peace since apparently no one likes Lizards in this game.
-My AI frog companion is worthless and spends 80 turns in his base growing an army from 7 to 8.
-I hated the Dwarves in Warhammer 1. My opinion has not changed.

I'm going to restart as Empire and get back to basics since I'm not very good at this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Count me in the group of people that got really into Warhammer after picking up TWW1 during a steam sale. It really made me want to paint the miniatures from the game, but I was just left with confusion when looking through the GW site. AoS still doesn't make much sense to me. Apparently it's a new timeline with really cool detailed models, and the old factions that I wanted to paint are still there, but only some! Oh, and the old models haven't been updated to reflect AoS details. I just wanted to paint Grimgor and his Black Orks.

Now The Old World is coming back, which is a remake of WHFB, but not really! It's a prequel? So no Karl Franz or Grimgor? I at least hope they will have the old factions mostly intact. Kislev looks great so far.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 5, 2021

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Well, I finally beat my first long campaign after 70 hours played in WH2. Lizardmen are probably my new favorite race after figuring out that Stegadons are strong as hell.

Dark Elves are now officially my least favorite race to play against. Let me update my list:

1. Dark Elves
2. Dwarves
3. Chaos

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I want to like the Beastmen, but they really need an overhaul. They kind of feel like Kindergarten Chaos.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Arcsquad12 posted:

Lol even with the chaos invasion cranked up to Legendary they died within twenty turns because the Vampires had taken over the old world and the high elves went all colonial empire and resettled everything instantly.

loving hell Chaos needs a rework so single stacks are dangerous and they don't bunch their armies together to get lightning struck to death in a single turn. The end turn balance of power for chaos had them vastly tougher than me and then once it was my turn I got the age of peace event notification.

In Warhammer 1 I always looked at Chaos as the endgame. In Warhammer 2, I have never had to fight Chaos in my 3 complete playthroughs so far. They always die to the AI.

Image how embarrassing it is for Archaon to lose to Talabecland....

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

DourCricket posted:

I just wrapped up my first campaign in TW2 (didn't play 1 but I own it) - I had to fight almost the entire chaos invasion on my own after they wiped out the Dark Elves completely before I got a chance to really take them on. Literally the entire Northern half of the west continent was ruins when I went up there. It was an amazing "final boss" experience for the campaign after I started steam rolling around turn 90~

Sad to hear that doesn't always happen lol, I was playing on Easy though so maybe the Easy AI just can't handle Chaos?

I always play on Normal and every campaign just has the Dark Elves going super saiyan and killing everyone. My last long campaign victory was with The Empire this week and I just avoided the elves all together after Tyrion got stomped.

Maybe my next campaign will have Chaos become an actual threat.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The AI definitely feels dynamic. In my last campaign Hexoatl had 6 armies, but didn't move from their starting position for the whole game, even as Malekith and Morathi took turns stomping Tyion's face in. But who am I to question the Great Plan?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Playing as Tyrion for the first time, the influence system is cool as hell. I just kept spamming to decrease the attitude from Morathi to Malekith and they never confederated.

Also, I'm reading on the Wiki that Morathi is actually Malekith's mom??? I thought she was his girlfriend. Yikes.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

DourCricket posted:

Holy hell Ordertide is REAL

I'm playing my first Tomb Kings game (got it during the lunar sale) and I spend all game getting ready for the Chaos invasions - I'm going to ally with order again like my Lizardfolk game and we shall kick chaos rear end together!! Well chaos comes, no one invites me to the party, and the computer factions roundly kick Archaon's rear end without me =( I helped indirectly by wiping out Grimgor entirely which let the dwarves focus on the North but everyone else didn't like me.

Okay says I, anticlimactic ending there but whatever. I'll go beat up the Dark Elves I guess to feel better and figure out what I need to do for a Long victory. Halfway there, the Elves declare war on me! For what?!?! And then of course the Empire, Southlands, Bretonnia and Dwarves all do who have now consolidated into 4 enormous factions, each of which is roughly as strong as I am (11 armies). I run back home,see I'm 10~ turns away from a Short victory and then begin a desperate holding action to keep away 5 NPC armies from my critical provinces while I build the special Tombs (if I had taken one extra province earlier in the game and actually built these structures I could've won 50 turns ago) - I killed Karl Franz AND the Dwarf king but they JUST KEPT COMING. I was maybe... 2 or 3 turns away from losing one of the provinces I needed for victory when the Black Tomb was finished and I got the W. Not at all the ending of the campaign I expected but woooooo that was scary. How the hell is anyone supposed to fight that?!

So now I'm soured on the "good" races and thinking Ikit Claw for my next campaign where I reduce everyone to piles of green goo. But I also bought Wood Elves during the sale and Drycha looks like just my kind of crazy... though maybe a regular wood elves campaign where I DON'T get crazy expansionist will be a good change of pace?

Anyway, ordertide is a PITA.

I just noticed this on my current Tyrion playthrough. This one just has us absolutely wrecking Chaos, Dark Elves, and Orks with no issues. The AI just ripped apart 6 stacks of the Chaos invasion and they didn't even wait for me!

Is there any way to side with the baddies in Mortal Empires? If I'm playing as Grimgor, I would like to be best friends with Malus and Ikit, but they just don't like me, so I have to smash everyone I guess. :smith:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

SirPhoebos posted:

Counterpoint: why would you ever not smash everything as Grimgor?

:hmmyes:

This is true. Friends are temporary, but the amount of factions to smash is eternal.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
The Skaven are the worst. Eight catapults, you're bringing eight 400 range catapults against my army? How is this even legal.

I swear Skaven go from "free experience" to "my living nightmare" depending on the army they decide to bring. Some Chaos god somewhere is rolling that dice.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
My issue with Bretonnia and why I haven't played them yet is that Empire is just more fun to play. They have good infantry, solid ranged, really good cavalry with Reiksguard and Demigryph Knights. They also have the best artillery in the game with the Helstorm Rocket Battery (maybe Skaven is better?). They have all the best magic (except for vampire), and they get cool toys like the Steamtank and Luminark. I used to think Empire was boring to play, but that's because I didn't know how to use them.

Bretonnia needs something cool. Maybe some monsters?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

How! posted:

They’re the only faction that can throw a 90kg stone over 300 meters tho

How about a giant one-eyed Beast that can literally throw rocks at your troops?

I may have found my next campaign faction.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Ok, I tried playing Skaven, I can't do it. I was going for a full ranged army due to the fact that I couldn't get my Rattling Gunners to shoot over my infantry, but that's just to stressful to manage. Got rolled by loving Tilea so I'm going to head out for a bit.

Make sure to quote this if I ever decide to give advice in this thread.

Looks like another Vampire Counts campaign for me.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Psycho Landlord posted:

Don't go completely ranged, it's a trap. Use doomflayers and rogers and poo poo like that to tie up the enemy in melee THEN let the shooters loose. The fewer models the better, helps prevent friendly fire.

But really just play Brettonia. Then your ranged absolutely can shoot over people's heads!

I'll have to look up some videos on Rattling Gun positioning because it's obvious I was doing it wrong. I have a serious problem when I need to reposition ranged units to the side of my infantry, and it's one of the reasons I also never use Handgunners when playing Empire.

Sisters of Avelorn have also spoiled me from my recent High Elf campaign.

This brings me to a question: How do I know if a ranged unit will fire over my infantry line? Empire Crossbowmen and Huntsman can do it easily, but Handgunners can't? Is there an in-game stat that lets me know?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Psycho Landlord posted:

It's kind of a common sense thing. If the weapon is direct fire and doesn't have elevation, like a gun, it won't fire through troops. Bows and the like can be arced. Yes I know this makes no sense for crossbows.

Yeah, I was going to say what kind of magic crossbows do these Empire troops use. Sounds like some Chaos magic...

I have not decided whether I want to get better with direct fire units or to just not use them at all. Thanks!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just want Bretonnia to have cool monster units. What if we give them Trolls, Giants, and Dragons?

These of course will all be on horseback.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm sending in all these Bretonnia suggestions to CA. No response yet, for some reason.

A Cygor-like monster with 2 eyes that throws horses. Having only one eye would be too similar to the Beastmen unit. Also, I have a hard time believing you could throw a horse with only one eye.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Norsca campaign just feels off to me for some reason. I was able to confederate the whole north by turn 20, but it didn't really feel good. The gold you get from your settlements sucks, which means I couldn't build a ton of armies. There are no walls in your settlements, so I had to leave one of my lords back home to protect the lands from foreign invaders.

The gist of the faction seems to be "always be raiding" and not worry so much about negative gold. However, this made my campaign feel way too fast-paced. Plus the slow growth of the settlements meant I couldn't get the real cool units until the late game. By then, Chaos had already invaded and I was pretty much finishing up my last few turns.

Mammoths are still the coolest monster unit though.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I still don't understand why Alarielle is now god of the treemen and Morathi looks like Lady Vashj from Warcraft.

"Should I read up on AoS lore?" -A question I ask myself every week.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Zaphod42 posted:

quote:

Sanyo Kawasaki - The tale of Sanyo Kawasaki is typical of those stories honoured so much by the Samurai cast of Nippon. Kawasaki was bitterly opposed to the government of his country, which he regarded as weak and liberal. Matters were brought to a head when a foreign ship was seen off the western coast, and the lazy authorities made no attempt to sink it. Such a lost opportunity to cause mayhem and destruction was anathema to the true Samurai, and caused widespread disgust. Sanyo Kawasaki assembled an army and laid siege to the capital. The siege was not a success, however, and Kawasaki committed ritual suicide as a gesture of disdain. This he achieved by the celebrated manner of standing on his head in a bucket of cold water. Sanyo wore plate armour and fought with the magic sword Toyota.[1a]

This conversation has been interesting to read, but I just can't get over this magic sword called Toyota. This whole thing reads like a parody. What the hell was GW thinking when they came up with that?

I want to contact this writer, I want to ask what they were thinking in that writing room all those years ago. Did they run out of Japanese references? What made them go to cars?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Randarkman posted:

I'd be down for throwing in the sea elves from Age of Sigmar in warhams equivalent of oceania and indonesia, but only if they get australian accents.

I was thinking how cool a Total War: Age of Sigmar would be with the Idoneth Deepkin as a playable faction. Not sure how CA would allow the sea turtles and eels to fight on land though. May ruin my immersion too much.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Playing as Grimgor again is making me realize how amazing Greenskins are. The changes + DLC they got have really put them into overpowered territory.

Doomdivers are just silly when fully upgraded. In a siege I can take out the main towers, the walls, and all ranged units before running out of ammunition. There really should be a statue dedicated to all those poor goblin kamikaze pilots.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Well I missed a lot of Warhammer news. They are actually doing a Beastmen rework? I always believed it would happen one day. :qq:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Sinteres posted:

No surprise here, but CA confirmed that there won't be any news at E3. There's a Q&A going on in their discord, and here's someone compiling the answers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/nwon8i/total_war_warhammer_3_qa_will_update_as_more/

quote:

Does Khorne have something to compensate for lack of magic and ranged?

Extremely strong melee units plus spell resistance for all Khorne Daemons. Khorne will on average be one of the hardest hitting and elite factions in the game. (CA Duck)

I did not know this.

Looks like my Karl Franz + 19 Helstorm Rocket Battery strategy will work against at least one of the 4 Chaos gods.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Nurgle, I just think he's neat.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Can't play this game without my favorite mod.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
What if we could dismount during sieges and have the first half of the unit turn into melee infantry and the other half becomes horse monster units.

I can't tell if I just thought of this today or read it in this thread 10 times before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

doingitwrong posted:

For instance, the Ivory Road mechanic as you sending caravans that presumably will be attacked along the way. Since it doesn't seem like you recruit for the caravan guards, you will be forced to play out the battle with the forces you have. That's a nice change of pace.

Is the caravan army a predetermined random set that you just get once you set up the caravan, or can you select which troops are in it?

If it's up to me, I am only sending my caravan surrounded by 20 steam tanks. :colbert: