Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Went with Teclis first. His incredibly varied army composition is 2 bolt throwers, a Noble, and 16 Sea Guard.

If you pump their skill lines and techs, Sea Guard get pretty ridiculous (83 melee defense?!). Picking up a hero with a random trait to beef up their stats even more helped. Main issue is that they get tired pretty quickly firing their bows, but it's still definitely the most effective pure ranged setup I've seen in TWW, and I regularly end up getting thousands of kills against Lizadmen/Skaven with under 100 casualties on hard. The amount of arrows flying through the air at any given time puts Wood Elves to shame. I really should add at least one cav unit to deal with all this Skaven artillery though.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

Am I missing something or can you not disable watching other factions' turns?

There's a button for camera controls on the top left that lets you customize what you want to watch and how fast it goes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

ethanol posted:

do you guys turn screen space reflections off? seems like it's making everything look all jaggie and shimmery

Yeah, I ditched it for that exact reason.

Is there any point to doing the rituals immediately? It seems like my bar still keeps progressing regardless, so I see little reason to spawn stacks of chaos to gently caress up my poo poo when I'm still in the precarious midgame where I'm still barely holding on. Might as well save them all until I'm in steamroll mode, unless I'm missing something.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

While I'm liking this game a lot overall, I think the ritual chaos spawn mechanic is complete and utter garbage. I own the entirety of Lustria, I've focused heavily on economy and have as many armies of mid-tier units as I can possibly afford to keep garrisoned all around my empire, and I have fully upgraded walls on every single settlement. I feel like I have done absolutely everything I possibly can to keep myself defended, but whenever I hit that ritual button it instantly spawns chaos doomstacks in random locations throughout my territory.

It is straight up impossible to garrison every settlement. As soon as chaos gets its turn, they go straight for the minor cities right next to them, bypassing the siege equipment necessity since they have artillery/giants/etc. Always 99% in their favor and they raze it on that turn without any chance to do anything about it. These are fully upgraded towns I've spent the entire game growing and they just go poof no matter what. Can't even savescum it since they appear in different spots every time. Really think they should just beeline for the ritual target cities and ignore all others because this seems pretty bullshit.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Third World Reggin posted:

before you hit the ritual button it tells you what cities to defend

I can defend those just fine. Chaos burns down the non-target cities in the middle of my empire, most of them ~5 turns walking distance from any of the targets.

This is not a target city. The closest target city would take probably around 10 turns to get to in forced march. They spawned right next to this one the instant I started the ritual. It is a region capital with a fully upgraded main settlement building and a fully upgraded wall. I had a defensive army stationed 2 turns away. This poo poo happens every time I get to a new stage of the ritual. What else can you do to counter this? Make sure there's a defensive army within 1 turn of every single settlement that you own? That is not possible.

I can't even have offensive stacks because I need to pay upkeep for so many defensive ones, which aren't even full stacks and don't even have amazing units. I only have one recruiting province with every single other one focusing on 100% money. I beelined multiple gold mines and am trading with most factions. And that's still not enough. It's kinda ruining the campaign for me.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 29, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm liking my Malekith campaign much more than my Teclis one. Instead of taking over an entire continent, I just stuck to my initial province + 2 settlements next door with everything in extremely close proximity. Made friends with all of the surrounding Dark Elves so I'm in a pretty secure position. I also have an outpost at the High Elf Vaul's Anvil, for the central location and ritual resources. With so few cities, I can actual keep them defended from bullshit chaos doomstacks.

I've mostly just been sailing around loving up rituals and sacking towns with my black ark. While it's kind of a bummer that I can't replace any of Malekith's core infantry if they go down (Black Guards), I can treat everything else as completely expendable since it's so easy to re-recruit them on the move. I just shove a bunch of future replacement units in the ark itself, which also helps keep it defended. Normally a monster like a hydra would be pretty precious since it would take like 8 turns and a ton of cash to globally recruit, but I can easily pop one out in 3 turns on the ark while Malekith is loving up some lizardmen or whatever. I have no problem throwing hydras and harpies to their inevitable deaths if it's helpful to do so, unlike Teclis where I had 2 Star Dragons in his army but barely ever committed them to pitched combat since it would be devastating to lose them.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

lmao

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dongattack posted:

Are any of the upgrades to the Black Arks bombardment abilities particularly good?

I found the Black Ark bombardments to be incredibly lackluster until upgraded, at which point they become absolutely absurd and re far better than any spell. It ups their cooldown but it is absolutely worth it for the devastation they can cause. Better to annihilate enemy units once or twice than to tickle them 2-3 times. The only stinker is the homing one that's supposed to be used against a single enemy. Even maxed out it does gently caress all. The rest? Hell yeah.

The small aoe one says it's made for anti-artillery but you really don't need to use it specifically for that. It's the most damaging of the bunch. Like all of the Black Ark bombardments, it can be used on walls. Chosen or Swordmasters just climb up a siege tower and are clumped up at its mouth? Forget blasting at artillery; hit that infantry and they'll go from 100% hp to 5% hp instantly. Super useful against ritual stacks attacking your cities.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

KPC_Mammon posted:

Dark elves could probably get away with building tall and sticking to their starting province.

My capital makes 12k a turn and I'm only at 56% slaves.

I hate Morathi's spells. The pit won't let me overcast so the damage isn't great, overcast text is in red on the character sheet maybe it is bugged? Reducing enemy damage is OK I guess. Anything I'm missing?

I really like shades, hydras, and dark riders. Corsairs seem underwhelming and I have no idea how to use witch elves without them dying.

You absolutely can. I'm nearing completion on my Malekith campaign and I only ever took the first province and 2 cities nearby (since one of them is a ritual resource site and the other is in between). I also picked up 2 more ritual resource cities across the world but they were solely for bar progression and didn't make any money, especially since I blocked slaves from arriving anywhere except my capital. Between slaves and the 60k gold you get from sacking any major settlement, you make plenty of cash. And apparently losing the ritual race doesn't matter anyways, so you could probably ignore resource sites altogether.

Personally I hate Witch Elves in their intended role of butchering low armor units, same as I hate flagellants, berserkers, etc. But Witch Elves are counter-intuitively pretty great against something that typically hard counters their niche: cavalry. Cav will annihilate them of course, but if you mix them in with some spears/halberds, the anti-large guys will do the work while the witch elves prevent them from running.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Do I need to start a new campaign to lower unit size? I've tried reloading and quitting and restarting the game but nothing changes. It sucks because magic is way too weak on ultra size and I'm playing spell caster lords.

Magic seems pretty good on ultra though? I went with Teclis first and he seemed totally fine. Campaign 2 I went down Malekith's spell line before anything else and it's great. Certainly a fuckload better than the early days of TWW1.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 1, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

SteelMentor posted:

Let's not discount the Forge World units these factions had available!

Lizardmen could get the Dread Saurian, a goddamn kaiju sized dino:

Skaven meanwhile could get Brood Horrors as both feral monsters and character mounts:

And Elves get nothing because gently caress Elves.

I was just thinking "those possible elf units other than the medusa seem lame as poo poo, while the skaven/lizardmen ones are rad" and then you've gotta go ahead and exacerbate the problem.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Bogarts posted:

I really don't like that they linked upkeep to difficulty. I really liked the old very hard and now I'm struggling to find a fun setting. Its either too difficult because I can barely afford a stack or too easy because the AI doesn't get enough economic bonuses.

:same:

Could set the campaign difficulty to hard and the battle difficulty to very hard, if that helps.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Just did a siege defense against 10k skaven. I ended up getting more slaves than there were Dark Elves defending in total. Whenever I thought surely this battle is over, there were just. more. rats. I think my forces had maybe another 1-2k rat kills in them before they would've been spent. Towards the end I had to use my ammo-less darkshards to hold parts of the wall in melee. If I didn't have a fully upgraded black ark in range it would've been over so quickly.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

President Ark posted:

has anyone seen any of the AI skaven factions doing well for themselves? it feels like by turn 75 they've all been eliminated except the two big ones and they're usually dead last in the vortex progression

On both of my campaigns so far, Queek got crushed but Skrolk spiraled out of control once he started confederating the other clans. I was actually pretty annoyed that Kroq-Gar wiped out Clan Mors because the Skaven were no threat at all wrt the ritual, but when Pestilens took over they started to catapult ahead and began the final ritual before I could (though I did barely manage to sail down there and disrupt it in time).

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Small and Blue posted:

On a siege attack it instantly blows up a wall section. Maybe it only works against towers and rams when defending?

Not just siege attacks. The AI used it on a siege defense to nuke a wall where a handful of their lovely troops were getting butchered by 2 units of my Black Guards :(

Was pretty surprised that they were smart enough to trade their wall section and some of their own dudes for my much more valuable infantry.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

gonadic io posted:

I HATE THE COLD

He complains about this abominable snow. It's an abominable snowman joke, you see.

Speaking of irritating Dark Elf things, am I the only one who got an absolutely absurd amount of Elfservant followers? I'd usually get at least 1 per turn, sometimes up to 4. Malekith just can't get enough Elfservants.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Yeah those tree maps are garbage. What sort of tactics are those meant to promote?

Forests give penalties to large units and really gently caress with ranged units too, so I guess it forces you to rely more heavily on your melee infantry?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Until you try to cast Fiery Convocation through a hole in a wall and for some reason it goes backwards

real good use of 14 winds

Spells bounce off walls like a pinball. It's pretty risky and unreliable to use winds/vortexes around em.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm in the early game of a Kroq-Gar campaign and my priest picked up a weapon that gives all Skaven in any battle -8 leadership. All of these rats break the instant they come into contact with my Saurus. It's kind of hilarious but it's also pretty annoying since I never get any meaty engagements where I can actually kill anything; just 2 seconds of combat->route->rally->repeat in a near-endless cycle. I wonder if you could get an entire Skaven army to route immediately after deployment by stacking a few of these weapons on your lord and heroes.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

This weird disengagement bug is really ruining my Lizardman campaign. It wasn't very noticeable as Dark/High Elves because my front line mostly existed as a wall to protect my actual damage-dealers. As the lizards though, I have to spent the entirety of every battle staring down my units to make sure none of them are randomly backing away a few feet to go into their neutral, non-fighting formation (leaving like 3 Saurus on the edge to fend off whatever they were supposed to be attacking). It happens every ~10 seconds. Not sure I even want to continue playing the game until this is fixed because it is absolutely excruciating.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The primary disadvantage of Shades is that they are the worst looking unit in the game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

This engagement/pursuit bug is getting frustrating, and it's making what I assume to be an intentional change in how routed/shattered units can occasionally fight back even more of a pain in the rear end when the units that're supposed to be slaughtering them are instead getting damaged and even killed by their targets.

I just had a unit of clanrats and stormvermin surrounding a broken unit of enemy clanrats. I left them to it for 45 seconds or so, checked back, and my own 90% hp rats had been butchered down to ~5% by the routers, who were stuck in between my guys and had hardly taken any more casualties. Pretty ridiculous.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Weissritter posted:

Uhhhh, swordmasters definitely perform much better than I expected from their stats, maybe I did not take into account martial prowess on the campaign map?

Campaign map indeed does not take martial prowess into account. Their stats are higher than they appear.

boho posted:

What are the poison mechanics? Does the entire unit get the penalty if one guy gets hit, or does just that one guy get the penalty?

It's the whole unit, but be careful with ranged poison attacks. If a single arrow/dart hits a single one of your own dudes (which will absolutely happen), that entire friendly unit is going to be poisoned as well.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

Didn't XCOM 2 have pretty much the same mechanic? There's a scary timer but they give you an easy way out out if you run out of time

There is a timer mechanic, but there isn't really an easy out on the level of the vortex battle. Although with the expansion they added some stuff that absolutely trivializes it and lets you play forever without losing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

e: nm

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Death Globadiers are absolutely ridiculous and amazing. I have 4 of them in my army and they'll vaporize any unit in 2 volleys, as well as any other units nearby. Including my own. Even with a nice flank, it is 100% guaranteed that the engaged skavenslave/clanrat group is going to get annihilated too. And that is okay.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Skaven can pretty much rule all of the Southlands without penalty, and there's like 3 agriculture regions in the southern half. No wonder Queek gets a tough start, he can pretty much steamroll once he kills Kroq-gar off.

Not only do you get those 3 food sites, but fully upgrading the main building in the wood elf settlement gives you an additional 3 food. Then you can slap the food commandment on there. Since it's a one-city province you come out another +1 ahead. And since it only ever gets 5 building slots, you aren't missing out on much with the 30% tax penalty.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

unwantedplatypus posted:

I really like SFO's new racial extermination mechanics

That guy isn't working on SFO anymore, fwiw. Some other dudes have taken over.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

genghispawn posted:

Are you talking the halberd ones? Because armor piercing is worth it for lizardmen Saurus. They've been a game changer for me and form my main line now in concert with weapon teams and such.

The problem with stormvermin is that's it's difficult to justify blowing them up with artillery/globadiers to instakill all of those saurus', which isn't a concern with skavenslaves/clanrats.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

Are you sure about this? Their patreon page still mentions Steel Faith, the nazi dude.

I hope it's true, mind.

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/704361604/1519260397797559736/

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

gently caress are Skaven tiresome to fight in the campaign on v hard. Armies full of fast ranged units that break easy and then reform 10 times before finally shattering. They're worse than Norsca. Not challenging, just an annoying chore

There's an AI recruitment mod out already if you want to cut down on the ranged spam. I'm thinking about using it for the same reason. Also a little sick of the HE armies that are a lord, 2 melee infantry, and 17 archers/horse archers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Since apparently the unit's ammo count also factors into their auto resolve effectiveness, be sure to upgrade their ammo and invest in Lord skill and warlock engineer skills that boost it. All combined I think those dudes can be packing over 50% more globes.

You really want these skills for globadiers even without taking into account autoresolve. Their biggest weakness is definitely their ammo count. By default you can only blow up a quarter of your own front line instead of the entire thing, and their melee stats are trash so they can't even charge in to do some work like a lot of other low-ammo units.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, as far as the ritual response armies, they all spawn in the same place every time IIRC so it's not too hard to have your two stoutest armies in place ready to lightning strike through the mess.

They definitely do not always spawn in the same place. I was screwing around with it a bit via saving/reloading. Starting the same ritual with the same territory would create chaos stacks in the ocean, on the edges of my provinces, or in several different spots right in the center of my empire depending on where I positioned my own forces. Seemed like it prioritized creating them in areas where you wouldn't be able to reach them in one turn, which is especially garbage if they end up right next to your non-target settlements and immediately raze them.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 9, 2017

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Truecon420 posted:

I made my first (small) mod. It simply removes the -100 diplomacy penalty to all factions, which I think was CA's attempt at making post vortex domination victory more challenging. But it didn't really make sense to me so;

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1165032859

Also if anyone figures out how to disable permanent war with the other factions post-victory, please let me know.
I'd also like to remove the Domination victory objectives that involve destroying the opposing major factions that share an alignment with you. In TWH1, you only had to destroy the opposing alignment factions usually.

Subscribed to this before you even posted here.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blessed Saurus Warriors never get tired and the quest for them seems quite common. Much better than Temple Guard imo.

Not sure if this is true in TW2 but in TW1 spear/halberd units also tended to attack more slowly, meaning their damage was lower than it appeared.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JBP posted:

Jesus Christ Kroq-Gar is borderline unmanageable as Queek. Those motherfucking Saurus warriors just don't die.

My strat was to stockpile as much food as possible and throw it all at the first provincial capital that you get, instantly taking it to tier 3 so you can build catapults.

I made a non-aggression pact with the Lizardmen to the north to keep that front clear (they broke it, but it held long enough), then blitzed Kroq before the island elves declared war.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

How do skaven fight High elves when they spam 8 dragons in a stack?

Poison Wind Globadiers + the Warlock Engineer spell that roots + damages flyers help a lot. Warp Lightning Cannons rip em up but are prone to getting tied down if you can't pick off all the dragons before they reach your backline, which is fine with 3-4 dragons but not 8.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Carcer posted:

Are you really calling people that disagree with you about this nazis?

Welcome to 2017.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I didn't play much of SFO since the new units were added, but I will say that the Dwarf grenadiers were a lot of fun and didn't seem overpowered. Generally didn't get too many kills but they flung orcs all over the place and could operate from behind your lines.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What's the best way to use the warpfire thrower? it's a bit odd moving them around with the extra rat carrying the machine around for the guy spraying with the hose, they also seem to have a tendency not to fire without a perfectly clear shot which is pretty hard to get with how immobile they are.

I don't really like them. Irondrakes aren't amazing but they work okayish because your Dwarf front line units are sturdy and reliable enough for you to spend some time flanking or setting up weird static formations. Skaven? Not so much. Doesn't help that they don't pierce armor when the other WH2 races are generally quite well-armored. I see no reason to use these guys over death globes which perform the same sort of role 100x better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dravs posted:

the whole point of warpfire throwers is to charge some slave units into anything at all and just light that poo poo up like the 4th July.

The most important factor is nothing walks away from it alive, nothing.

They'll refuse to fire on your skavenslaves unless they have a flanking shot though, and the damage isn't even that great. Death globadiers, on the other hand, are 100% fine with blowing up said slaves from behind your lines and will annihilate both the slaves and the phoenix guard they're engaged with in 5 seconds.