Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Nothing will ever top the divorcing couple dividing up their beanie baby assets in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I vaguely recall the Oldblood on Carnosaur being really good in tabletop, because it was a powerful dinosaur on top of another, powerful dinosaur. In TT, riders and mounts fought separately (rather than have a combined stat profile) and having to deal with just the Oldblood by himself was bad enough even without the Carnosaur.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

always be closing posted:

I watched a couple videos on PartyElites YouTube channel of the online battles in tw:w2, it looks really fun. Will this game be worth buying if all I want to do is play those types of matches?

Do the online lobbies generally devolve into constant queues into cheesy broken builds?

Game looks awesome, almost like what I'd imagine a digital version of the table top game to look like.

Online battles are really fun, imo. This game is pretty sophisticated as a result of combining the battle formula of Total War with the asymmetric factions of Warhammer, leading to a very diverse multiplayer experience. There's a lot to learn and loads of possible army combinations, which makes multiplayer not very welcoming to newbies, but it has held my multiplayer interest throughout the first game's lifespan.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Hunt11 posted:

While not quite the same, with investment High Elves can get the best hero and lords in the game by spending intrigue.

Dark Elves also have a mechanic where they can name their generals something like xXDarkSwordKillerXx96 and then get a bonus to their skills, which suits them perfectly.

Skaven have a loyalty mechanic instead, which can cause your generals to rebel.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
There is nobody more elite than than xXDarkSwordKillerXx96. While you partied, he studied the blade.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
And now the hordes of Chaos are at the gates you come to him for help?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Dark Elf player spotted.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The AI or the presentation? The AI is certainly exploitable but I wouldn't say it's garbage, at least if you're playing the game normally.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
There will be a separate campaign released several weeks after the game launches that includes all the factions from TW1. But you'll need to own TW1 in order to play it.

The game is very similar to the first, so you could call it an expansion if you liked. Generally this is forgiven (especially by Warhammer fans), because it is part of the Great Plan to create an eventual third title that includes all 16 tabletop armies from Warhammer along with their parts of the Warhammer world. There's plenty of grouching too, so you'll just have to make up your own mind whether it's worth it to you.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Is that Korhil with the axe, is he in the game at the moment?

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Brasseye posted:

Is there a good online resource for lore on these new races? They all seem really interesting but I dont know anything about them, or the Warhammer world.

You can download all of the now-defunct "army books" from previous editions of tabletop: Warhammer.http://www.mediafire.com/folder/2qbp22o8ch8qc/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battles

They were rulebooks but also source material.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Best thing to do is build multiple public order buildings in every province as High Elves, since they also provide income. It's cruel to deny the Asur a plaza in every town for all their conniving needs, it's like leaving a dog alone by itself all day.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Doing Tyrion on legendary and it's definitely the easiest campaign. Seems like enemies can't spawn inside the interior of Ulthuan, so I've taken all of the defensive gates and turtled quite nicely. Outer Ulthuan is a hellscape of Dark Eves and Norscans, but the interior is peachy. Meanwhile, Sea Patrol is busy holding off endless stacks of Skaeling scooby doos in the Straits of Lothern.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

sassassin posted:

How is Teclis finding the time to attend all these soirees at the Phoenix King's mansion? Focus on your mission, idiot.

It's not entirely clear, but I think you are supposed to be the Phoenix King making decisions in regards to influence. Otherwise, he's constantly being told how to behave by either Tyrion or Teclis which doesn't make sense. The intrigue at court panel also suggests that, but then the game otherwise presents your chosen army leader as the guy in charge giving speeches.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I've barely fought any Skaven or Lizardmen except for intervention armies, since I've been slogging through a legendary Tyrion run. And goddamn if that isn't a slog, although I unintentionally made it harder for myself. I tried an initial strategy of fortifying the Strait of Lothern and the defensive gates protecting the interior, only to realize that the Delves and Norscans were using the exterior provinces to recruit armies right next door. They might as well have been Skaven for how many there were, with the Norscans fielding at least 6 stacks at a time and three Delf factions fielding even more combined. I had, like, two armies. It reached the point where I literally couldn't move a single unit or hero and couldn't afford to lose a single battle against the gate-sieging stacks which had Black Guard in them. I spent a lot of gold on building upgrades to add a single wizard to the garrison of each gate because every little bit helped. I lost one gate battle because the garrison got too low, but the Delves stupidly sacked the gate settlement instead of capturing it.

The battles were initially quite interesting and challenging. There were surprisingly tight siege battles because the gate garrisons were strong and the sieging ai army composition were competent. But the gate map is the same one every time and the ai attacks in the same way so it eventually became monotonous, since I had to manually fight the battles in order to win. I really had to play them too and not just AFK it, since the garrison needed to remain strong enough for the next attack.

Eventually, I recruited a princess with -30% upkeep to Sea Guard and Ellyrian Reavers and had her march out from Lothern to reconquer Ulthuan counter-clockwise. Turns out Sea Guard, Ellyrian Reavers, bolt throwers and great eagles can take on three stacks of Norscans at a time without any trouble, especially when they all end up on triple gold chevrons and buffs from a level-25 general (after endless heroic victories) and post-battle executions of tens of thousands of Norscans. More of a genocide, really but a good one. The best part is when they rout en masse and hundreds of elves start shooting them all in the back for about half a minute.

Er, so don't let enemies onto Ulthuan. That's how you get a tedious campaign.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
That's true, but then that's higher difficulty for you. It forces you to deal with all of the game mechanics. There's tech and building upgrades to reduce upkeep, lord traits and skills for it too, strategic map locations for bottlenecking enemy armies, places with landmarks for extra garrison troops, potential for huge trade income (especially with Helves/Lizards), treasure hunts (every skull one is worth 10k gold), hero traits to increase region income and reduce construction costs. Aside from the Helf influence mechanic, it's also possible for all factions to control AI aggro with gold gifts and diplomatic agreements, while hero actions against hated factions also provides lots of positive diplo.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

speaking of treasure hunts, has anyone found a reason to explore ruins for treasure? when the army doing it is costing 3-10k per turn or is a lone general upping everything by 15% it hardly feels like you got the turn to waste and should just settle the place unless your ending your turn near a ruin you don't intend to settle.

If you could send a hero unit in to do it that would be fine for the upkeep and opportunity cost.

I find it's totally not worth it, especially with the increased risk of failure compared to treasurw hunting at sea.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Swordmasters are probably the best melee infantry unit in the game if they are able to do their job of blendering infantry without interruption.

Can somebody run down Delf spells? I get High Magic but I haven't played Delfs at all, either in single or multi.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Thanks! I've just been playing quick battles and getting blasted by random spells with no idea what's going on, sine I'm preoccupied with other aspects of the game. Reminds me how complicated this game is when you aren't already familiar with it like I was with TW1.

HElves bring a really fun napalm army in quick battles against Skaven. You can bring Tyrion with Sunfang, a high mage with the phoenix bombing run spell and then one or two flamespyre phoenixes to further douse the ratmen in fiery death.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I don't know about that. Dwarfs cannons probably give warp lightning cannons a run for their money in an artillery duel, bolt throwers are actually very good at destroying other pieces once they get in range, Dwarf Warriors are perfect for fighting Clanats, and the lack of cavalry on both sides hurts Skaven even more since massed Quarellers will wreck their Rat Ogres and whatever monsters they bring.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
You can download a mod that unlocks some factions like Empire and Dwarfs, sans DLC units. Dwarfs got some major overhauls.

The +melee attack aura rune has been moved from the Runesmith to the Thane, who has also gained access to the Tormentor Sword (which you might have come across in the SP campaign). It adds a "can't move" debuff for 20 seconds or so in a 30m radius around the Thane.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Somebody mentioned terradons with fire bolas and it's true, they own. A couple unit of those and a flying shaman with wind blast means no AP missiles left alive for Dark Elves.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Which is easy to say from the perspective of somebody with a god's eye view of the setting.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Yeah but End Times isn't really Warhammer, whatever GW says. It's meant to bridge the gap between the Warhammer setting and Age of Sigmar's, and without the stalking horse of AoS it would have been written a lot differently (if at all).

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

StashAugustine posted:

Hey, so what's the general meta look like for multiplayer? I only got into TWW1 MP at the end where people had gotten time to write poo poo down but I don't really know how all the different new factions handle

Dark Elves are best elves. Skaven are probably the weakest faction if you discount some unintended bugs that make them OP, but the balance between factions is okay overall.

Mazdamundi is absurdly powerful even in quick battles. He can use the powerful Ruination of Cities and Banishment spells as free casts, while c-c-combo'ing Net of Amyntok + Comet of Cassandora, while knocking enemies around like bowling pins on the back of his stegadon. He costs a quarter of your army but it's fitting for a Slann to be the game's most devastating wizard.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think a larger map would work if the strategic map was more sophisticated, but since it mainly exists to act a backdrop to the tactical battles it's not very interesting to fight your own faction for 100 turns.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I think I'll skip ME until Norsca is in, just because I can't be bothered fighting the repetitive Norscan stacks anymore.

Valiantman posted:

Empire vs. Skaven, analysis by PartyElite

If it's not on standard settings (large funds, etc) then I don't think it's very useful, since the MP meta revolves around the best army comps vs factions for the funds setting. On ultra funds with a 20-unit limit, Skaven are much less likely to severely outnumber the opponent and the Empire's ranged units will perform much better from the additional weight of focus-firing + a beefier front line to let them do it for longer, whereas Skaven don't have traditional missile unit to trade shots with them. So ultra funds it a totally different meta.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Gitro posted:

Tried VH Teclis and he actually has things to do, it's amazing. Swordmasters are gross infantry blendes and overcasted nets of armyntok backed by 10 archers is absolutely revolting. If anyone hasn't used the Invocation of Vaul rite for the helves, I highly recommend using the Invocation of Vaul rite for the helves. Holy gently caress, I made three full units disappear.

My favourite use of the invocation of vaul is waiting for an enemy lord to climb up a ladder during sieges and then instantly sniping them.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I just realized how important chevrons are in multiplayer. Basically every melee unit below 1000 gold should have at least 1-2 pips of vet on it at a minimum.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Pokeylope posted:

I usually just spend whatever odd cash I have leftover on pips. I know they make your guys a bit stronger but Is there some specific reason I should be investing more in xp?

Mainly because they reduced cost to upgrade them, between 3-5% per pip most of the time. This means the most valuable attribute (morale) is cheaper to get. It especially helps with cheap, low morale troops since the bonus to morale is usually +1 per level (sometimes +2), so the cheaper the upgrade (based on base cost of the unit) and the worse their base morale was to start off with, the more noticeable the effect will be on the upgraded unit in sticking around longer in a fight.

The downside is that they reduced melee attack bonuses from veterancy, but increased melee defence bonuses slightly, so cheaper units end up having more morale and defence but won't be much more killy. This makes them cost effective for line holding.

A cheap unit like Skinks is very moddable at their base cost of 300 gold. You could add 2 pips for 31 gold, which makes them a tad more reliable at no appreciable cost increase. Or you can bump them up to morale 60 (from base 55), which costs 82 gold and 5 pips of vet. That just puts them into the mediocre tier of performance for a holding unit in terms of morale, but it's still not too expensive. You could even go all the way up to 9 pips of vet and get +10 morale, putting them at 65 leadership. This makes them comparable to the reliable Dark Elf Bleakswords in terms of staying power (and slightly more expensive than them at 468 gold). Skaven Clanrats also benefit a lot from the morale.

Although some expensive units benefit too. Seems like there's little reason not to pay the 30 gold on Saurus Warrior for at least 1 pip of vet, since they get +2 defence straight away. White Lions get +2 attack and +3 defence for 2 pips f vet, so I'm tempted to do that with them for 61 gold per unit, especially since veterancy continues to work after martial prowess deactivates. Swordmasters get pretty nice bonuses per level, too, if you're made enough to pay the gold.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The Beastmen look like they were buffed overall, and Morghur was always a crutch to make up for their shortcomings. If the army overall got better then it makes sense to nerf his previously 4000 free gold of Chaos Spawn. I'm actually pretty worried about beastmen getting really strong but it's too early to say.

The Arch Lector was pretty useless, really. Providing support buffs to the army should always have been his thing but he was too expensive and being a tanky man who doesn't kill anything was a dubious niche, so not paying extra gold for that is fine by me. Now that you can put a few pips of vet on empire troops more cheaply to increase their mediocre leadership, it might be viable to go for a large army instead of an elite one.

Orion as actually used in MP and his damage abilities were good vs Dwarfs in particular.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It used to be 70%, they nerfed it to 60%. It stacked on top of his 25% magic resistance and made him almost unkillable by Wood Elves.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The Dwarfs seem like they got way better, but if you want those sweet magic items you have to buy some extra ~1000 gold heroes. You can't take a dwarf lord, a thane, a runesmith with their magic gear and also a front line of longbeards and still have a large army. At least now there's interesting decisions to be made.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's not called the dragon isles because it's full of rabbits, son.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Poisonous toads to squeeze toxins from. A toad hat to hide underwater with. A spiritual leader toad to unite them all.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
The multiplayer is mainly about taking strong faction matchups, which is why you see so much counterpicking. Otherwise you see people playing a faction no matter what and they'll anticipate the strong units you're going to bring and then build a specialized counter-counter-army. The logic of army comp simply is to take the stuff that's strong against them while picking counters to the stuff that's strong against you and having a plan to use it properly.

For example, High Elves could never win a front-line grind against Greenskins, so you won't see competent HElves bringing a strong front line in that matchup. But they can take a princess on a star dragon and shoot down the characters volleys/breath and then start wrecking their infantry in melee. The GS is probably expecting this so he ought to have Wolf Rider archers to keep the dragon at bay, which means the HE will need Ellyrian Reaver archers, which are also good for chipping away at Boar Boy Big Uns (anti-large cav which are a threat to dragon princes and dragons). Dragon Princes can thrash boar boys on the charge and also wreck infantry but they get wrecked themselves by the spell Fate of Bjuna which Azhag has, so HElves will probably be seeing Azhag the Slaughterer a lot. He might be on foot, but if Azag is mounted on his Wyvern the HElf will need a high Mage with the spell Tempest or a light Mage with Net of Amyntok to stop him from going after the Dragon Princes with Fate of Bjuna. In event Azhag needs to die before the Dragon Princes go anywhere near him.

So from that you can rationalize that a HElf army is going to have a dragon lord, high/light Mage with net spells, Dragon Princes for crushing the flanks, Ellyrian Reaver archers for shooting (also good in melee) and that's most of their points right there. Maybe they'll have a small front line of White Lions after that, or go for a full cavalry army so that they can ignore the GS infantry until the end. Although a lot of players have no idea what they are doing and so will bring the opposite.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's equivalent to a sun dragon, but with poison attacks and 20% physical resistance.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Empire beat Norsca with Net of Amyntok and Earth Blood, the same way it beat everyone else. Their demigryph knights could engage the Norscan anti-large units like Skinwolves one a at a time with the net. But Flagellants and demigryph knight got relatively worse so who knows.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I don't think Araby is such a shoe-in, either. It's not an official tabletop faction. I can see them adding Araby, but it's hyping expectations to say they have a 98% chance to be done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Michaellaneous posted:

I started playing Chaos today and I gotta say it's great fun.

e: Is there a place for goons to hang out and play together?

There's the discord channel, seems like it's not listed in the OP.

https://discord.gg/3b4Ea5