Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Ammanas posted:

They have a building that gives food but its only buildable in select, inexplicable settlements.

I think one of them's tied to a trade resource? There's two I've seen, one of which, Corrupted Spawning Pool, is presumably a "notable settlement" thing with only 1 level, and the other of which gives food, a small amount of income, and Untainted corruption pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Where's Lahmia and Hell Pit?

Lahmia is off-map currently, it's further up the coast from Kroq-Gar's start. Its main claim to fame is being the birthplace of Vampires, after which the ancient Nehekharans tore the place down, salted the ruins, and took measures to ensure Vampires would never again blight Nehekhara.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Pretty sure Tomb Guards from the tomb king roster can take halberds and shields as well.

While the sample model pictures in the army book depict Tomb Guard wielding Halberds and Shields, they don't actually have a rule that lets them use Halberds with one hand.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Did you ever do the Liber Bubonicus quest for Skrolk? Because that quest battle is literally nothing but zombies and bats and it is glorious. Skaven magic and artillery wrecks so much havoc on swarms of chaff that I've joked that the faction Skaven are the most effective against are other Skaven. You basically get to rip through 5,000 zombies and bats to get your book that I hope is written in Skaven braille since Skrolk doesn't even have fuckin eyeballs anymore.

I got like 500 kills off a single cast of Plague during that quest battle, it was beautiful.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Captain Beans posted:

With tomb kings on the horizon I wonder what their plan is for chariots. I don't really find any chariots worth bringing except for the monster ap chariots that Chaos get.

For everyone else id just as well bring cavalry instead. Cav can charge just as well plus they can tie up large single targets (giants/dragons) to prevent escape.

Would larger units than the current 3-on-Large-unit-size help, do you think? Because one of the main things that set TK chariots apart in tabletop was that on top of being one of a few factions able to field Chariots as a Core unit (Beastmen could as well), they were also one of few (the only?) faction that could actually field a large amount of chariots as a single unit - the aforementioned Core unit type Beastmen chariot was a solo unit, while TK chariots were iirc 3+ in a unit.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Some of that gold had been previously melted down from some Tomb King's Royal Chamber Pot and he's gonna be hellbent on throwing a hundred chariot demolition derby at you to get it back. Hope you likely skellingtons rocking like an Egyptian by doing donuts all over your formations!

The Hammer of Algrim is rightfully a trophy of war belonging to King Alkharad of Mahrak, and the claims to the contrary by the stunted whelps of Karak Azul are completely illegitimate!

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

exception for Arkhan the Black, one of Nagash's few remaining loyal lieutenants

Even in Arkhan’s case he’s not so much an ally to the Vamps as he is indifferent to them (which is admittedly a vast improvement compared to most Tomb Kings’ views on the vile spawn of Nagash’s teachings). He happily teamed up with Khalida on one occasion so that he could retrieve one of Nagash’s artifacts while she was murdering the hell out of some poor fanged sap in Sylvania of all places.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Those are cut off the map in ME, and wouldn't really make sense anyway. They were mostly centered around the Southlands, and most (if not all) of their kingdoms are on the map. Although if they are still sticking to the 4 LLs for each faction thing, we may end up with some disparate starts to spice them up.

I’m thinking Settra in Khemri and Arkhan in the Black Tower nearby, with Arkhan possibly using Vampire Corruption like Morathi does to distinguish him and encourage him to go for his master’s Black Pyramid. Khalida, who has roamed far abroad several times for vampire hunts, in the Lustria desert for Vortex campaign with the rationale that she’s gunning for the Vampire Coast, and in her native Lybaras in Mortal Empires. Khatep, the Grand Hierophant, up in that vacant desert on the west of Naggaroth (I think it’s a desert at least, might be a wasteland), as he is in exile until he can find a way to restore Settra to the glorious golden immortal body he was promised, dunno where for Mortal Empires.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Khalida will be in Lahmia

I beseech Asaph, the Asp Goddess of Vengeance, empower me that I may bring retribution for this slight. (Lahmia is the birthplace of Vampires and was burned to the ground by the living Nehekharans, Lybaras is Khalida’s seat of power)

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I was referring to just the general regions, I'm sure Lybaras will be the province capital

Fair enough, the Vengeance is called off. Tomb Kings allow forgiveness in certain circumstances, unlike certain diminutive grave robbers.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Please give the Overtyrant the respect he deserves, and refer to him by his full title, Tradelord Greasus Tribestealer Drakecrush Gatecrasher Hoardmaster Goldtooth the Shockingly Obese.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Hope I see this map appear elsewhere, kind of a strange waste of effort if it doesn't.

When I tested with a friend in Warhammer 1, fighting battles close to where Quest Battle sites were would give you the Quest Battle map. If this is the same, then you’ll probably be able to get that map by fighting in that area. (Unsure as Bloodpine wasn’t one of the ones I tested, I tested Hel Fenn/Blackfire Pass/Most of Mannfred’s Battle sites)

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I forget, are the soldiers of the Tomb Kings automatons like the Vampire Counts? I seem to recall that they're all independently motivated, just bound in totality to their particular king, a la Egyptian funerary rites.

They’re a sorta weird case - their souls are kept in their bodies by the presence of a Liche Priest (specifically one particular priest in the army, if you took multiple), and if this Priest is killed they might start to crumble, but they’re autonomous otherwise. However, the state of the body determines how much they’re cognizant of the world and how much of their personality is left - basic grunt soldiers are running mainly off their training and memories of their duty, the more well-preserved elite Tomb Guard are partially mummified and will remember more, and the actual Kings, Princes, Heralds, and Priests have full recall of their former lives and proper perception of the current world.

The Constructs are a weirder case - they are animated by the souls of especially distinguished soldiers and the like, who were thus given the honor of having their souls placed into the statues. From interactions with an Ushabti in Gortrek & Felix: the Serpent Queen, they likewise appear to have full recall of their lives and proper perception of the world. It is unclear what this means for the Necropolis Knights, a subset of Tomb Guard who were too bloodthirsty to maintain disciplined formation in combat and committed ritual suicide to a giant snake statue before being interred below it, and were awoken with their souls controlling both their original skeleton and their new giant stone cobra mount.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

They're also like Vampire Counts in that every army must have at least one spellcaster who knows the unique lore

To add to this: a notable distinction is that this caster, in tabletop, did not have to be the army’s general - indeed, Tomb Kings themselves did not have casting abilities in 8th edition (in 6th they had bound spell versions of 2 of the faction’s spells, but TK spellcasting got overhauled in 8th), with the exception of Settra and Arkhan.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

John Charity Spring posted:

Are you sure that's a bug and not just that you reached the healing/regeneration limit on those units?

From what I’ve heard the bug in question is tied to the healing cap, but not in the way you’d think - apparently the spell doesn’t heal anything if the caster’s healing cap has been reached, regardless of if the target’s cap has been reached.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

JBP posted:

Just read about it and other people say the AI does this. You're not allowed to though. Thanks CA.

While this resembles a Lightning Strike, it’s a different trick that is player-usable. What’s happening is that if an army is in reinforcement range of a city, but that city is besieged, the city can not reinforce. The enemy stack sieging the city, however, is still able to reinforce. So what the AI is doing is rolling up one army to siege the city, trapping the garrison (and potentially a stationed stack). With the garrison now unable to reinforce, they roll up a second stack to attack your stack outside the city, and their sieging army reinforces this fight. I’ve used this trick myself to dispose of extra stacks near fortified enemy positions (i.e. the Mutinous Gits, who seem to love parking a second stack next to K8P).

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm real excited to play tomb kings. Do you think they're only getting added as playable in Mortal Empires?

Definitely not. Mortal Empires is only accessible if you have both games 1 and 2, and there’s no point in limiting their potential customer base like that (even if most game 2 players most likely have 1 due to Mortal Empires). Nehekhara is on the map for Vortex, and the small portion that isn’t is host to only 1 Lord candidate, who they can easily justify an alt start for due to her habit of roaming far abroad on Vampire hunts.

(Also the blog post says the new faction will be for “both Eye of the Vortex and Mortal Empires”)

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

No sign of bone giants (melee or bow variants) or bow ushabti though which is a shame if they're missing. Still beyond hyped for this.

Bow Ushabti are visible in the unit cards in one of the Battle screenshots on the DLC’s steam page.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Looking at one of the screenshots on the Steam page, TK chariot unit size looks to be 12 models to the Skeleton Archers’ 120 (i.e. likely Ultra unit size).

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

jokes posted:

Whoa I like that necron cobra.

By the way, does Settra have a unique mount or is it just a run of the mill chariot.

It’s a unique magic chariot called the Chariot of the Gods, readily identifiable by being flaming (in screenshots this is visible as the wheels being engulfed in blue fire) and being pulled by 4 Skeleton horses instead of the usual 2.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Innerguard posted:

Which book is the one with the barbarian queen being duped by the junk-khopesh? I need to read this for reasons.

Gortrek and Felix: The Serpent Queen.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey does anyone really know why the Norse factions always end up being strength rank 1? I mean with Dwarfs it's understandable in TW but in TW and TW2 if it's not dwarfs it's a norse faction.

In TW2 Norsca’s currently using the old buildings and units it had before its Faction DLC, so they have a ton of free income from settlements (600 for a rank 3 settlement iirc) and have only 2 real factions active in the Norsca area in Mortal Empires (Skaeling and Varg), so they quickly build money and momentum.

For TW1 I suspect it’s due to Norsca’s Special confederation rules (if they beat another Norscan faction’s leader in battle they can force a confederate) letting them snowball off of their early infighting.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Why is it called a Khemrian Warsphinx, is there another nation that builds Warsphinxes? Ind? Khuresh? Has Gelt built a secret Imperial Warsphinx?

The Tomb Kings’ Empire is named Nehekhara, Khemri is the capital and most prominent city. Warsphinxes were first constructed in Khemri.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

By the time I got it I wasn't really in a position to notice since I just murdered things with Ushabti. Relatedly though, how do you get the tech that comes after all the Heralds? I unlocked and equipped all the Heralds and didn't see the ability to research it. Do you have to have all the dynasties done too?

Yeah, I think you need all dynasties. At least I noticed when I clicked it to queue it for research it queued all the remaining Dynasties as well.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Archonex posted:

Ah, the ol' Trojan Mummy ploy. Well played, Tomb Kings. Well played.

Is it really a Trojan Horse ploy if the Bretonnians just waltzed into Zandri and grabbed his body themselves? Amanhotep just made the reasonable assumption he wouldn’t be kidnapped in his sleep.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Archonex posted:

Well, when I read that I pictured the Bretonnian's mounting him on one of their grail knight relics and carrying him into battle only for him to wake up and go "What the gently caress?" as he realized he was strapped to the world's lamest horse cosplayers before beginning the slaughter. So yeah. Trojan horse, in a manner of speaking. :v:

If nothing else it'd sure as hell explain the terror buff. Peasants dying and getting slaughtered by the truck full is a boring evening in Bretonnia. One of their sacred relics representing chivalry and their empire waking up and going apeshit on the local fiefdom all while spewing scarabs and skeletons everywhere and speaking in a long forgotten tongue about how he's going to gently caress you all for abducting him from his ancestral home? Thaaat'd probably put the fear of the Tomb Kings into Bretonnia.

That is in fact exactly what happened - the event in question is mentioned in the Tomb Kings army book. The much-loved Duke Cheldric was slain by the assassin prince Apophas, a vaguely humanoid mass of flesh-eating scarabs with a skull on top, and in response a bunch of crusaders detoured from Araby (this was during the crusades against Sultan Jaffar) into Nehekhara. Much, much later a bunch of Battle Pilgrims found Amanhotep’s dormant body and somehow decided that of course Duke Cheldric must have been decked out in Nehekharan finery, then trucked his body up into Bretonnia and carted it around a dozen battlefields. Upon waking up, Amanhotep displayed all the good humor and tolerance for shenanigans that his title of “The Intolerant” would imply, and slaughtered a bunch of villages while walking all the way back to his city of Zandri.

Amanhotep later shows up in the spinoff game Dreadfleet, piloting a ship that was pulled by Ushabti and shot solar lasers from the capstone of a pyramid built on its deck. This ship’s design is borrowed for the Tomb King ship models.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I'm hoping when you say pulled by ushabti you mean that the ushabti pull the boat forward with ropes or chains from the ocean floor, because that is what i'm imagining in my head.

Actually upon closer inspection it seems I was slightly wrong on this - the ship (named The Curse of Zandri) appears to have five Hierotitan-sized Ushabti built into it from their waists up, seemingly intended to melee the other ships. The one on the front has Necrosphinx-style arm blades.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Caidin posted:

I think their name is the eyes of the jungle or something, they walk around the Black Pyramid mostly at the moment.

They haven't come back into Khemri, just right up to border before turning around the next turn.

Yeah, that’s one of the Book armies. Beat them up when you’re ready and receive a book, they just constantly patrol along the route from Black Pyramid to the bottom edge of the map. I don’t think they ever enter raiding stance but they never camp so you can just send a Tomb Prince to Assault Units until they’ve got an eighth of an army. They won’t wardec you, nor will the AI declare on them (Chaos is glitched and will, but you probably won’t have to worry about that for this army at least).

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Acute Grill posted:

Global recruitment is the secret TK weapon. It increases their recruitment capacity by about 50% given how good you are at algebra or how much you want to do it. I remember filling pretty solid 20 stack monster mashes in 3 turns by the endgame.

On top of that, the rule about enough recruitment buildings reducing global recruit time still applies, so eventually you’ll get 1 turn global recruit on most things (especially with the 1-turn discount from Awaken the Heralds). This happens particularly quickly with the basic skeleton chaff because their recruitment building is the settlement.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

What is this now?

If you have enough recruitment buildings for a given unit (I forget what the threshold is), their Global recruit time is lowered to be the same as their Local recruit time. So if the threshold is 10, for instance, then as soon as you hit 10 of the Ushabti building you can recruit Ushabti globally at 2 turns recruit time, same as Local. And with Awaken the Heralds lowering the Global recruit time by 1 turn...

Sadly, they fixed an interaction involving this for Warhammer 2 - in Warhammer 1’s Wood Elf mini campaign, there were enough settlements to get the reduction, giving 1 turn global recruit on whatever you could spam buildings of. And with the Global Recruit reduction tech, their recruit time became just a blank space and they no longer occupied a recruitment slot, letting you recruit entire armies in a single turn. Granted, as this was on the Wood Elf minicampaign, it was pointless by the time you could do so.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

botany posted:

i thought tomb swarm only worked in your own territory?

I just did a quick test to double-check this - Tomb Swarm is usable outside of your territory, the Rite gives it to all armies. It can also be dropped on walls, which is something I’ll be making sure to remember.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

The Chad Jihad posted:

1) Nehekhara was massive and vastly populated and powerful for centuries, there's more mummified armies yet to be awakened than the current population of the Empire

2) If they ever undo the curse, they'll be back in human form and much more powerful than they currently are and also that would maybe undo the desertification?

As far as 1 goes, I don’t recall if the Army books specifically stated this, but in Gotrek and Felix: The Serpent Queen, Khalida has like 6 other Kings and their associated forces just lying dormant near Lybaras in case she ever needs them, and those are just Kings who she judged too unstable to allow free movement. On top of that both this book and the Army Book note that Tomb Kings have near-perfect immortality and their bodies will reform over time if they are destroyed - you’re not just fighting their entire population, that population also can’t be really reduced in the long run.

As far as 2, the Nagash books make mention in one of the early battle scenes that Nehekharans are strong enough that their arrows punch through shields like paper, requiring the Mortuary Priests to use protective incantations. They’re also larger than most humans, with one character being noted as standing 7 feet tall and average height for his city.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

my guess is they saw how much people loved norsca, a faction they made out of odds and ends from GWs history and a bunch of whole cloth, then looked for who they could pull off something similar with in lustria. i still really wanna see an araby faction, and the amazons if at all possible, but i dont know that either of those has the same level of cool factor as vampire pirates.

do any of you tabletop heads know anything about how much araby exists in terms of playable units and whatnot? i know basically nothing about the actual tabletop game, i just read a lot of the lore wikis when i was bored in college.

There was a side game called Warmaster that was sorta Warhammer but controlling larger armies - the models were whole ranks of troops rather than a single soldier. Araby was playable in that and had a whole set of miniatures, stuff like camel cavalry, flying carpet riders, summoned Djinn, and war elephants. They had their own spellcasting lore that did things like summon sandstorms and create mirages. I think also the Skaven Jezzail rifles were originally an Arabyan invention the Skaven stole?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I think my game may be bugged but I'm not sure if I'm remembering how this mechanic works. On the vortex map, if a different race takes over a settlement, the visuals of the settlement type on the campaign map and the battle map should switch to that new race's aesthetics right? As in, if lizardmen take over an elf city or minor settlement, it should now look all aztecy and the battle map should be a lizardman one?

That happened in Warhammer 1, but for Warhammer 2 settlements stay the same appearance. If you look carefully on the campaign map you’ll see banners matching your race set up around the city, 3 in total.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

PlushCow posted:

I thought I understood replenishment but now I'm confused. Hordes get replenishment everywhere? But for other factions +replenishment only affects them in their own territory? What about when you encamp? What about the Vampire Coast?

My understanding of it is as follows: Replenishment comes in 2 general types, own territory and universal. In most cases, the Replenishment only applies to your own territory. However, certain Replenishment (such as those from Horde techs) applies in all areas.

On top of that, there is usually a cap on how much you can replenish in a turn. I believe this is 50% of a unit each turn inside your own or allied territory, and usually 10% outside your territory (provided Replenishment is even available, such as by encamping). Beastmen moons can break the 50% cap (i.e. the one moon option that gives 100% Replenishment for 2 turns), and hordes used to run afoul of the 10% limit due to not having territory/usually not having allies, but now get their replenishment in any territory, with the 50% cap. (They also don’t need to camp for this - Chaos Warriors with all their Replenishment techs will just constantly be replenishing 30% of their units each turn, regardless of stance, as long as they aren’t suffering attrition).

I don’t believe camping uses Replenishment buffs, as Noctilus I had to pull back to the graveyard when I suffered heavy losses, but they do seem to be able to get Replenishment up to the 10% cap in seas under conditions I wasn’t clear on (having a cove on that ocean? Idk).

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Wait what the hell that puzzle has 4 colors?

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

They say the dev team is in a “world of its own” and that it’s “where the magic happens” which strongly implies we’re getting the Realm of Chaos - it’s a separate dimension accessed from a hole in reality near the North Pole (and south, but that’s well off the map), and the Winds of Magic flow out from there.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

E: also does Khazrak infintely respawn in ME? I’ve killed his faction twice and he keeps coming with buffer stacks. It’s lame. I’m Orion and this time more than half his units are minotaurs and centigors. This kind of difficulty isn’t fun for me, it’s just a test of whether or not I know to prepare for an OTT gimmick stack

I’m fairly certain the Beastmen are scripted to periodically (re)spawn and charge the Oak of Ages when you’re playing as Wood Elves, I seem to recall this happening when I upgraded the Oak in game 1 and the advisor specifically noting the inbound Beastmen as a thing. Might be tied to Oak upgrades.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

I’d personally spec Ikit for Warp Lightning, because as mentioned he can get down to a cost of 2 Winds with a 1 second recharge and gets a skill that gives him +armor and regen while casting.

If my Tehenhauin campaign is anything to go by the Skaven will start losing ground once he triggers the hellwar, so be ready for that.

Both of you want the other guy to cluster up, you because of Doomrockets, him because of Jungle Swarm/Flock of Doom/the Ark of Sotek he starts with - once you get to your weapons teams make sure they’re spread out so he can’t get all of them in one AoE.

Edit: from my versus campaigns with friends, one of the biggest threats is just that you can take control of the AI armies and do things they might not expect - as a human, you can consider that he won’t be able to replace the Ark for a long time if you snipe it, and you can really hamstring early development by taking out the right unit (example: I once managed to eliminate my friend’s starting Tomb Scorpion in an early battle with him as Arkhan against an AI force).
Clan Fester will probably chuck multiple stacks at him quickly (I fought 3 on turn 5 or 6), so taking manual control there and making sure you don’t blob on his frontline but instead abuse your numbers to wrap around should go far. Fester’s starting armies are surprisingly punchy too, the stacks I fought had 1 or 2 units of rat ogres and I know that one of their starting armies (not present in that battle) has multiple stormvermin.
Chucking an agent down there to just spam Block Army (Warlock Engineer) or Assault Units (Assassin iirc) on his main stack is easy and fun (not for him). As Skaven you can underway and he can’t, so Block Army will just skew the mobility advantage even more in your favor. Be aware of the possibility of Underway Interception though.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

Fire should be aimed mainly at the heroes and lords, as they’re the units with the actual fire weakness. The standard rank and file won’t take extra damage.