Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Pendent posted:

Fake edit: The Skaven are incredibly fun to play in this game and I would recommend it for them alone.

Best battle for me so far has been Queek and his starting units + whole bunch of clanrats + reinforcing Grey seer with lots of slaves and four catapults vs. Krog's All Saurus Murder Tour. It went like this:
First half of the slaves charge the advancing lizards, the catapults firing into the melees. When that bunch routes, the next wave charges in. After them come the rallied survivors of the first wave. It goes on like this until the catapults have expended their ammo and the exhausted surviving Saurus, each probably covered in the guts of tens of rats, make a ragged charge against the Clanrat line only to get their flank rolled up by flamethrowers. The plan involved lots of senseless death and was completely unfair in how well it worked. I can't wait to make State troop brisket and style on gobbos with doomwheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

re: warpfire throwers. Try lining your meatshields up in two distinct angled wings, like the arms of a v with a hole in the center. With some encouragement you should be able to get the enemy blob up between the wings and then you can commit warcrimes through the opening to your heart's content.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Also, I used to think upgrades to tariff income was pointless, but I'm starting to think that's not the case. Each trade agreement will give you around 100g in tariffs, and this seems to be calculated as a 'tax' on the value of everything else you are trading or maybe importing. I'm not sure the exact formula, but unlike trade goods (which are limited by an importer's size and the number of items you have available for export) tariffs seem consistent. So if you have 10+ trade agreements those tariffs really start to add up. With stacking bonuses, my Dwarf game currently has me raking in about 400g each from tariffs alone, and that's the biggest income source even below gems or beer.

How do you get that many trade deals? In my Empire game everyone is a total dickbag about trade, with friendly factions refusing agreements even with 2000g sweeteners.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Eej posted:

With the Retreat buff and then Ambush buff from chasing down the fleeing army on my own turn my starting squad of Death Runners somehow took 300 Dark Elf heads. Made my dumb Doomwheel look like a chump.

No one's playing Tretch! Everyone play Tretch!

I am. It's extremely skaven. Tretch is the last rat into combat and the last rat shouting encouragement as the assasin shanks the fleeing enemy lord. Had a battle where I took 315 losses and the enemy accounted for 140, with no artillery. Possibly because of overexcited doomwheel discharges. I want to find out if I can take over Norsca and if there exists an army that can't be handled by surrounding it with clanrats and death runners and stabbing until things stop moving.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I forgot how fun it is to invade Ulthuan when Tyrion's starting noble rolls up and kills half of your good units with one action, and the fucker outlevels my assassin on station so badly that my odds of removing the prick for five turns are like 15%. I wish there was a way to just remove the assault units skill from the game because it's just stupid, but I guess passive Ai agents will have to do.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo, that Grimgor punking Grombrindal pic is awesome.

Say my name

SAY MY NAME

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Deffo going to start by picking Ungrim, warming up by uniting all prime real-estate North of the Silver Road and East of Sylvania, cleaning out the Vamps and then marching up to Nosca to build a shield against the Chaos invasion, want to see them stopped without any major loss suffered by the Empire.

Yeah it looks like a different enough campaign from the basic dorfs that it might be time to rebuild Karaz Ankor again.

And then

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm having trouble uploading Replays to Youtube. Do I need to change the format?

In what format have you recorded it?

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

I'm hoping the pirate coves and unique ship mechanics finally create a faction that can just sail around the world getting into trouble without worrying about holding territory.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Driving skavenslaves into the enemy lines and nuking the resulting mess is so perfectly skaven in that too edgy for tv cartoon villain concept way.

The DLC gets practically everything right, I just wish there was a building for undercities that let you slowly influence the above faction's opinion of you through a campaign of bribery and assassination.
I don't want to wipe out Tilea, I want to turn them into my pet humans with their funny costumes and accents. :(

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

H Y P E

After the combined map is out, Grimgor will be perfectly positioned in the badlands. Just pick a compass direction and start krumpin until you run out of gits.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

The red figure on the map in the trailer represents Nagash or I eat a comically oversized hat

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

why would a demon have a head that looks like a hat?

that's stupid

roasted please, with fries

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Grimgor you own most of the badlands and world's edge mountains, why are you slowly global recruiting five stacks around some minor shithole settlement and then sending them to die one by one against ungrim's one and a half stacks holed up in karak kadrin

Grimgor please we need to fight the vampires that declared war on us and own almost all of the empire and kislev

I forgot that buddy-up-with-an-ai campaigns always end in tears with no exceptions

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Greenskins are fun as long as they're not up against a missile heavy army. Which is lovely when several of the top tier late game factions are missile heavy.

Getting into melee with Greenskins is a bad move unless you want your head split by a Blorc, mobbed by Grom's super gobbos or stabbed to bits and poisoned by Skarsnik night gobbos.

But they really need a way to counter missile spam. So far the only option they have is artillery with the range scrap upgrade.

Have a couple units of cav that weave in and out of range or do fake charges to make the enemy ranged move back as your line makes the final approach, if their missiles clump up just give em the foot, or make the AI freak out by having a couple of night gobbos show up on a flank. I find that most factions have the tools to juke the AI into not concentrating firepower.

Seaguard stacks and empire armies with 6+ Helstroms notwithstanding, then it's either ambush or cry.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Beastmen should treat razed regions as friendly territory with replacement buffs, and cities razed by them should get garrisons that attack anyone trying to resettle. Make it a building chain that doesn't need growth and can be upgraded to buff the garrison and cause attrition to non-beast armies in the region. Or make it so that when someone resettles, a certain sized beastman army spawns and attacks the settlement.

Really just anything to make it feel like you can actually make an impact on the map.

brakeless fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Mar 14, 2021

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Regarding campaign dynamics, the mod Unnatural selection (mod to buff selected AI factions) recently had an update that enables you to change the behaviour of AI minors so that they become as aggressive and use all of their resources like the major factions. Combined with a mod that removes autoresolve bonuses for the majors, the map becomes a true free-for-all at least in theory. I can't speak to what if anything it does to the endgame, but at least the early game is noticeably different. I started as Thorek in ME and Numas aggressively took out the vampire minor faction near them plus a TK minor, before getting into a war with Khemri and starting to get their poo poo pushed in. I've never seen the TK minors do basically anything before.

It probably depends on the campaign and personal preference if this actually makes the whole experience better, but the mod is a good one for anyone interested in mucking about with the campaign balance.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

A pike isn't a terrible weapon against armor, it has a lot of mass behind a sharp point that's being wielded with both hands. Also even with all the armor in the world you still have to get past 4-5 layered points.

However, the ultimate anti-chaos warrior unit is four dudes with pike-length crescent-headed catcher poles and one dude with a bunch of pistols and a musket.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Schniff-schniff, yesh, and so you shee, it ish a metaphor-similie for the ideology-thought of capitalism, and so-so on.

lol

a skaven philosopher talks about eating from the trash can and the audience of imperial nobles/artists/cultists becomes confused
"wait is that literal or a metaphor"

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

just make the AI sometimes do something else than stand on the walls and behind the gates and shuffle aimlessly around
if you want to get really crazy maybe different factions could even have different siege mechanics or behaviour

I don't really care if the AI makes smart plays that often or not, just something different please god

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

It looks like the AI really has potential to be decent in settlement battles. milkandcookies fights a big Khorne vs. Slaanesh battle in his Skarbrand video and the AI seems to do a pretty decent job at committing forces to three different fronts and not blobbing up too badly. Combine this with the varied and expansive maps and it really feels like settlement battles will stay fresher longer into a campaign and feel different with different armies.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Completely decoupling campaign and battle difficulity was a great move and I hope they do the same for legendary and the battle realism mode in 3. Please just give me a balls to the walls campaign without a battle camera that sucks. Like this Imrik campaign, where I've fought the most clutch defenses ever with garrisons and hastily recruited spearmen/archers/RoR stacks led by some nerd who's not cool enough to hang with phoenixes.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

For what it's worth, IIRC there's TWW2 mods that do nothing but give legendary difficulty the normal battle camera, and mods don't disable achievements in TWW2. I would imagine that even if that's not baseline in TWW3 the mod will be transferred fairly quickly.

Thanks for the heads-up, I tried looking for one before but didn't find a camera specific one, but there is one that gives the legendary campaign settings to very hard.

Link for anyone else interested:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1966206527

Claims to be savegame compatible but I haven't tested it yet. This way pause isn't disabled so you have to practise self-discipline if you wanna be a true hardcore total war warhammerer.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Thanquol should be an NPC that tags along your Skaven army from time to time. And casts abilities without your input that have a 50/50 chance of making you go yes-yes or no-no.

Thanquol leads your faction's only army, but he's AI controlled both on the campaign map and in battle and only does things according to his own certified genius ideas.
You play as his assistant, as you level up you unlock different ways to cleverly nudge your big brain boss into doing things, giving you a modicum of occasional control.

If Thanquol or your character die, or you retreat off the field before him, it's game over.
You have to survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Playable glassesrat from Vortex.

yes, perfect energy