Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

sassassin posted:

It's loremasters.

Nobles have dialogue that suggests they'll be training people but they don't.

Nobles increase replenishment. Fitting really that they're skilled at forcing rubes into the army, but less so in actually making them GOOD at being an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I really can't get over how pathetic Tretch is. Not like, in that he's a bad character, but just that, well, you've got other legendary lords that are venerated champions of the apocalypse, immortal inscrutable sorcerers, peerless warriors, and even mid tier guys are at least a widely known leader or someone with some kind of spooky tale about them.

Tretch is just a dork with a lucky hat.

So he is the skavenest of skavens is what you're saying :colbert:

I've barely got started on him because the Bone Boys are obviously more enticing right now, but I absolute adore his starting lookout. Despite what the lord select screen says, he starts with TWO sword/board Stormvermin, not a bad frontline comparatively. Add in the DOOMWHEEL which basically sells it by itself, Death Runners which I never got to mess with earlier, ridicolous potential to stack ambush chance AND full army vanguard deployment? I'm not even missing warcrime machines yet, that's just fun as heck early on.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
It took me an embarassing amount of time to notice that chariot archers have literally the same melee stats as the regular ones, so I just kept getting the first ones for far too long :cripes:

One thing I catch myself doing is forgetting to abuse the hell out of global recruitment due to the increased costs all other races suffer. poo poo, if you use both global and local recruitment its often worth merging your wrecked skellyman stacks and recruiting fresh ones instead.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
I REALLY appreciate Ungrim's new start flat out starting him out with recruitable slayers. Especially when you manage to land an ambush with a 10 slayer stack against chaff greenskins as one of your first major battles :getin:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Dunno if Green Iz Best affects Rock Lobbaz in any way, but with the new veterancy talents they get..pretty mean :getin: :orks101:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1613358498

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Angry Lobster posted:

Anyone has tried Bretonnia with the new changes? Do they make enough of a difference or are they just small tweaks? My only full run with Bretonnia was with the Fey Enchantress at release, and even though it was a blast to play, I'm not sure I want to do it again.

Confederations are much easier, only did one so far but instantly got a dilemma that let me do it guaranteed for either a chivalry or treasury hit, wows are pretty cute though some are a pain, but it feels a lot better not being forced into "wasting" skill points on them now. Also overall tech progression is simplified, you don't need generally need multiple buildings to get foot squires anymore for example, which makes their small province sizes more bearable. Haven't really gotten far enough yet to say if its a LOT better or not though-

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
The way to conquer Norsca is to go on a raid trip with your main army to fund a secondary army who ambushes and confederates anyone who thinks they're hard enough to steal your poo poo while you're away :colbert:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Bloody hell, decent first few turns with Essin, pop the night-lord say so first chance, beat the Norscan army pretty easily with some survivors.

...Who then despite me having route marcher walks past me, razes my nearby settlement, then kites me for 5 turns before doing it again to the other minor settlement I had, still somehow having 15% movement range on me while razing settlements :shepicide:

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

I didn't notice that myself (because I just followed up and killed the survivors same turn), but I'd guess it's a bug. They literally will not move until you attack them, and I somehow doubt the remnants are supposed to move either (if they're even supposed to still exist as opposed to vanishing like a quest battle).

I didn't realize they'd stay put and got to them at my max movement range at first, definitely making sure there's zero chance of them being out of range for the followup when I try this again.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Restarted after foolishly talking poo poo at Settra with Snikky, first turn I burglarized the first settlement with the Eshin Sorc and got a blue arcane scroll that, uh, is basically a slower one-time per battle wind of death. It's probably not guaranteed, but I think I got it 2 out of 3 starts that way, absolutely worth going for, having a way to delete 3-4 units lined up to each other that fast makes sieges so much easier.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
So I managed to complete the ratty boy campaign (Post-game spoiler)

Is it just me or does possesion on Snikch not quite do as advertised? Tried popping it in a battle, which respawned him fully healed and with the demon voicing acting happening. I didn't get any of the demon abilities however and my health didn't drain, though I DID get my Potion of Toughness back for a 2nd use in the same fight. Only practical difference was the transformation button no longer being there for that battle. A full lord reset with no backsides is still good, but was hoping to see some even more broken BS compared to what he was doing beforehand.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Theswarms posted:

Having characters of varying strength and difficulty is good.

Tehenhuain just needs a less annoying sacrifice mechanic (I remember that was going to be fixed in this patch, did it actually)?

You now get a fairly decent chunk of sacrifices as post-battle loot regardless of what option you pick, overall seems like you get them significantly easier, but yeah, the issue seems to be that Tehenhuain really doesn't get anything super interesting, his RoRs are just locked behind the sacrifice mechanics rather than Lord level (which I suppose COULD make some of them available faster than other Lizards), but seeing how Ikit gets some crazy-broken campaign only RoRs through his workshop AND that the nukes he start with are significantly more impressive than the final Sotek thing, there's absolutely an imbalance in effort there.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Waagh is now an inherent ability with a in-game bar filling up, rather than the final skill in the yellow skill tree. Looks like each LL will have variants on what the buffs give too. It seems to fill up based on the number of units fighting, so it gets ready faster the bigger the fight is involved

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Other neat tidbits I've picked up from videos being put up:

Grimgor has a new passive that gives +defense and ward save when he is near an enemy lord, his Blood Forged Armor now has an active ability that causes an explosion ala Verminous Valour with no friendly fire along with boosting his armor rating, and gets a duelist debuff like Trophy Heads that massively decreases defense, attack and speed of a hero/lord. Combined with yet another mass buff, he now looks to be a proper duelist monster.

Succesful Waaghs also give you one-off RoR units similar to the Elector Count ones, haven't seen details of any of the units, but saw what looked to be a Lava-themed Arachnarok Spider and a Hydra

All in-battle Waaghs give +25% weapon strength, AP weapon, 24 attack and immune to psychology. All LLs get an additional effect to their Waaghs:
* Grimgor gets double the weapon bonuses
* Wurzhag gets 22% physical resist
* Skarsnik gets 10+ armor piercing damage for ranged attacks, not %, flat out +10 per gobbo arrow.
* Azhag gets Fear and Terror armywide

Azhag now gets a bound cast of WINDS OF DEATH when he gets his final personal skill :eyepop:

Skarsnik and Night Goblin Warboss can get a 3 use fairly long ranged skill that rampages and debuffs defense of a target

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Azhag is now required to grab the settlement near the Desolation of Nagash for his campaign, it's apparently the place "south" his quest texts have been mentioning all the time, Nagashinazarwotzit.
After probably the biggest battle I've ever played to beat and confederate Grimgor who had gotten MASSIVE (7300 vs around 5000 :eyepop: ), I got one of his boyz close by to settle it and see what the Landmark building there does. It does a lot:

450 Income/turn
50 + diplo with vampires/Arkhan the black
Full immunity to vampire corruption damage to all armies
20% lower CD for all death magic casters (including the new hags)
Complete immunity to public order penalties from vampire corruption
and 50 local vampire corruption for good measure

It's a T5 and that place is nearly always a ruin so it'll take a while to bring online.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Well, that's a new one, tried out Wurzhag and started a WAAAGH against Queek. His first action afterwards it sending a plague rite priest at me and plaguing the town I just captured. Wurzhag doesn't catch it, no problem, I can manage.

It then spreads to his next city on the way to his capitol.

And the next one.

Testing out, just fighting one of the cities with plague is enough to catch it, even if you just sack it. My options are now to beeline down there and completely isolate Wurzhag there for ages or eat the plague and HOPE it actually reaches his capitol and wrecks the garrison as badly as it does me.

I did not expect Queek to literally Scorched Earth me, but it also seems extremely in character.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Gave Skarsnik a shot, my usual early strategy with him has to get a generic Gobbo Warlord right away to act as bait, early on an actual ambush rarely happens, but if they get drawn out, they get stuck in the Zone of Control and are forced to engage both armies with the bait as the "lead". With the new Waagh system in battles, that means two things:

* You're stuck with the generic Waagh and not Skarsniks special one :(

* The points needed for each Waagh use is based on your sole general :)

In a rather short battle, this meant I got to use the generic Waagh 5-6 times, the first few it charged faster than the ability lasted. Pretty wierd interaction.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Get a professional actor to voice a new LL. Have the same boring old man narrate the intro.

Why is CA like this? I'll even take made-up gibberish some of the LM LLs had over that.

Isn't it standard that Old Man narrates ME and the character itself narrates the intro in Vortex campaigns? At least he gets to do his thing in a playthrough I saw someone put up for his Vortex start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Something I haven't seen mentioned much is that the tooltip regarding Lightning Strike now seems to imply that your army will start the battle at "winded" if used, so you're fighting like you were on forced march (but presumably without the total wipeout/no retreat penalties). Granted, a lot of the time you're singling out weaker stacks anyway, but that'll probably make them less useful in certain situations too.